• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No booth for Nintendo at GDC 2016 - Relation to NX reveal?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This year Nintendo did not book a booth in the main expo area (South Hall) of GDC, breaking a tradition of many years. They have not booked a booth for the main area of GDC 2016 either, they only have three small Business Meeting Rooms (BMR2732/BMR2738/BMR2742), as in 2015, in the Business Center. At least according to the most recent floor plans dated December 11 (floor plans updated this week):

gdc_2016_southhallq9zkd.png
Source: http://www.gdconf.com/pdf/floorplans/2016/GDC_2016_SouthHall.pdf

There are of course some very small booths still up for grabs, but I don't think Nintendo would bother with such petty spaces.

That Nintendo doesn't have a regular booth is of course not an indicator that they won't have any presence at GDC. This year for example they had the Nintendo Indie Showcase, and they had no regular booth. And they have their career/business events of course. But I wanted to bring this up for one particular reason - the NX.

Some people have speculated that Nintendo could be aiming for an early reveal of the upcoming console/handheld/particle accelerator/whatever it is and perhaps show it in a Nintendo Direct broadcast or special event (press conference) as early as January. If such is to be interpreted as an actual event soon to transpire, I find it quite strange of Nintendo to not have booked a booth at GDC. Wouldn't they want as much exposure and discussion as possible, and showcase the system on a big scale in a big booth (of course the more important developers are already informed)?

GDC 2016 is three months away, so of course anything could happen between now and then. But maybe the reveal of NX won't be as soon as many think, but instead happen at E3 or in an event after GDC? Or maybe I'm reading way to much into this, as usual. There you have it anyway.

Peltz

I think 2016 will focus heavily on Star Fox, SMT x FE, then Pokken in Q1, then be a blitz of cross-gen Zelda + NX coverage in Q2-Q4.

They simply aren't ready to show all of their projects yet at GDC because most of them are for the new hardware that will be revealed this Spring or Summer.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They will not talk about NX until E3, it would be too distracting for them when they still have their last few Wii U and 3DS titles to promote in the firs half of 2016.

Riki

They will not talk about NX until E3, it would be too distracting for them when they still have their last few Wii U and 3DS titles to promote in the firs half of 2016.
None of which are huge games.
NX info is probably coming well before E3.

You could just as easily see it as evidence that they will be announcing the NX before GDC, but won't be in a position to freely talk about it.

NX isn't being revealed until E3 and won't release until Spring 2017 at the earliest.
Probably, that's my best guess at least.

I don't think Nintendo will "officially" reveal NX until April, followed by an E3 blowout a couple months later showcasing upcoming software

I think that if they're planning to announce something before E3, they're not going to do it at a trade show or conference, but do a Nintendo Direct and simultaneously do press events in the three main market regions (Japan, NA, Europe).

This will set the stage beforehand and then they can go all out at E3.

Hang on, why did you only post the South Hall floorplan?

Nintendo are in the North Hall.

http://www.gdconf.com/expo/floorplan.html

Edit: Haha, sorry, I missed the very first paragraph of your post. But then Microsoft only has a booth presence in the Business Center as well, but I don't think they're planning on announcing any new hardware any time soon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't see how Nintendo waits until E3 for a reveal if they're releasing later next year.

Roo

I don't see how Nintendo waits until E3 for a reveal if they're releasing later next year.
Yeah I don't see it happening.
Less than 6 months is just not enough time to reveal and release a home console. Especially one from Nintendo.

AniHawk

Pulling a Saturn?

saturn would be revealing it at e3 and shipping that weekend.

i think the timeline is:

1. march-april: reveal name, shipment forecasts, general 'idea' for the system (see also 3ds reveal and project cafe)
2. nwc '16: first game (not zelda/dqx/dqxi) shown
3. e3 '16: info blowout
4. november 2016 release

If Nintendo are planning to release new hardware before April 2017, and they almost certainly are, they need to announce it by April next year- investors will need to be informed about the new hardware strategy for the 2016-17 financial year.

It's Nintendo.

Cool little soundbyte, but Nintendo aren't complete business imbeciles.

Ryoku

As much as I want NX info, I think we'll have to wait until Q2. As others have mentioned, there are several key Wii U titles still to come, and I feel as though Nintendo will use Q1 as a period for marketing said titles.

However, considering how few of those key titles there are, it's also possible that Nintendo would take the opportunity to get people interested through NX info (and potential backwards compatibility). After all, if they take a cue from Sony's marketing for PS4, Q1 is an excellent period for marketing a new console.

It is Nintendo, so it's kind of hard to play the guessing game with them when it comes to things like this.

fernoca

No relation. Is not the first time.

If they say anything about the NX it will be more of a coincidence, or actual planning on their part; rather than the choice of not having a booth (which again, is not the first time).

AniHawk

Well said, I don't see Nx release in 2016 or I feel it will be another rushed launch.
Just if there are both handheld and Home console version, then I guess a release of the handheld one in 2016 will be ok(timing will be the same as the 3ds reveal).

there is no rushed launch for nx. they've been planning it since 2014 at the absolute latest (it was the earliest iwata spoke publicly of their 9th gen plans). the wii u and 3ds have also been essentially starved of content and their release lists filled with localizations that otherwise wouldn't be happening (fatal frame, dqvii, devil's third), or filler games (mario sports, amiibo festival, captain toad).

the zelda team didn't delay the game they were promising would be out in 2015 just because they wanted to make the game better. nintendo didn't say they were not talking about nx for 2015 and also not talk about zelda at e3 2015 just because. it's because zelda is a launch title (and now we have a date for both since we at least got zelda).

they're also not getting their new account stuff in place for something that isn't coming in another 18 months. square enix probably wouldn't have mentioned dqxi for the thing if it was coming out a year after dq's 30th anniversary either.

also if they release a handheld and a console version, and the main hook is that you can have any version you wish, i think it's better if they have them all available at launch instead.

As much as I want NX info, I think we'll have to wait until Q2. As others have mentioned, there are several key Wii U titles still to come, and I feel as though Nintendo will use Q1 as a period for marketing said titles.

However, considering how few of those key titles there are, it's also possible that Nintendo would take the opportunity to get people interested through NX info (and potential backwards compatibility). After all, if they take a cue from Sony's marketing for PS4, Q1 is an excellent period for marketing a new console.

It is Nintendo, so it's kind of hard to play the guessing game with them when it comes to things like this.

they're going to have to say something at the end of the fiscal year because they'll be making projections on the nx in their yearly report. i think the first news should be expected around march or april for that reason.

that makes no sense.

It makes all the sense. Just look deep into your heart, you know it be true.

But seriously, they can't even put out a mobile app in the time frame they said they would. It would be a miracle if they put out a whole new platform by the end of next year. Not saying they could but don't be surprised if they have to ride out another drought like they did a couple of other times if it means we get a better product in the end. That's what Nintendo does.

there is no rushed launch for nx. they've been planning it since 2014 at the absolute latest (it was the earliest iwata spoke publicly of their 9th gen plans). the wii u and 3ds have also been essentially starved of content and their release lists filled with localizations that otherwise wouldn't be happening (fatal frame, dqvii, devil's third), or filler games (mario sports, amiibo festival, captain toad).

So what? The PS4 has been in the planning stages since 2008, years before launch, and even the Wii was in the conceptual stages as early as 2001. These things take time to get right.

It makes all the sense. Just look deep into your heart, you know it be true.

But seriously, they can't even put out a mobile app in the time frame they said they would. It would be a miracle if they put out a whole new platform by the end of next year. Not saying they could but don't be surprised if they have to ride out another drought like they did a couple of other times if it means we get a better product in the end. That's what Nintendo does.
That's a pointless comparison when we have no idea what sort of resources they're allocating to either. Mobile is a new system for Nintendo, and the team is likely super small.

maxcriden

i think the timeline is:

1. march-april: reveal name, shipment forecasts, general 'idea' for the system (see also 3ds reveal and project cafe)
4. november 2016 release

That sounds like a very reasonable prediction. Are you expecting handheld and console to release simultaneously?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I fully expect NX to launch in 2017. Nintendo never rushes anything. They won't launch until they've got a good line up and Nintendo take a long arse while to create games.

RootCause

I fully expect NX to launch in 2017. Nintendo never rushes anything. They won't launch until they've got a good line up and Nintendo take a long arse while to create games.
Did the wiiu have a good launch line up? Sure didn't feel like it, when I bought mine on day 1.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Did the wiiu have a good launch line up? Sure didn't feel like it, when I bought mine on day 1.

I agree. I also had a launch WiiU. More fool me.

Public rumours first appeared for WiiU in 2010 and the console was released late 2012. Unless Nintendo have a shot gun to their head I expect a 2017 release.

Effect

What would be the point of talking about the NX at GDC or even going to GDC if they end up having their own event or providing all the information they wish regarding at it's reveal? They'll want to get their information out to as many people as possible and limiting any of that just to GDC doesn't seem like it would be beneficial. It's actually an added expense.

I still believe we learn about the NX before GDC. They won't wait until E3. They'll have an even bigger blow out at E3 but in order to do that they'll want to show it off before that and have people talking.

Nintendo is all about controlling it's own message and narrative these days. A reveal at E3 hurts that as they then have to share the spot light with others. On an initial reveal that could be bad. That's why I also don't see them at GDC with NX info. The NX information is very likely going to be super controlled by Nintendo outside of patents as they have no control over who sees those.

Instro

i think the timeline is:

4. november 2016 release

Sounds about right to me.

antonz

Nintendo could reveal NX by then or even perhaps at the event and still not reveal it to the full degree that they are compelled to showfloor it. They could do an information dump and say see you at E3 to see it all in action.

AniHawk

That sounds like a very reasonable prediction. Are you expecting handheld and console to release simultaneously?

if the plan is to show nx functioning across multiple form factors, i would at the very least have one handheld and one console available at launch.

they could potentially have a high end/low end console, high end/low end handheld, or even a combo pack for those who want both. i think those are options they might save for later, but basically i expect yearly hardware updates. it wouldn't be too different from how 3ds worked (2011 - 3ds, 2012 - 3ds xl, 2013 - 2ds, 2014 - new 3ds/xl)

Top Bottom