• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Staff No conspiracy theories or fringe content on the Politics board

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Hi everyone. We've had a relaxed moderation style for a while now on Politics, but in light of recent events at the Capitol, we'll no longer be tolerating fringe content or conspiracy theories on the Politics forum. It could previously be looked at as fun and games, but now there's no way to justify its presence here in any quantity. Keep it to mainstream sources and positions. That also goes for "sacred landslide" stolen election conspiracies.

Thanks.

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
EviLore EviLore I understand the need for this, but I feel that this kind of hampers the board in the sense that looking at someone who might post something a bit off kilter or out there is a look into the human psyche. The extremist views only fester if they aren't out there in the open. Though I do understand the need to curtail it.

Amiga

Jul 8, 2020
is social media considered mainstream? a lot of popular discussion, opinions and breaking news happen there. politicians may discus controversial topics.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
It’s not that hard to stay away from conspiracy theories craziness.

People seek it because they want it, rather than it actually being real.

But it might help to have some examples listed of what is and isn’t acceptable.

Last edited:

sw0mp_d0nk3y

Jun 3, 2013
New Hampshire
Alternate realities, psyops, Some Guy Speaking Into a Camera on Bitchute, the_donald revolution/insurrection/whatever stuff, qanon, whatever crazy shit Lin Wood is saying, Covid denial, etc.
Any distinction between talking about this shit as if it is real, or talking about it in the context of what is going on in the country? Trump world is inescapably entwined with Q, Lin Wood, Sydney Powell, and a lot of crazy stuff. What happened on the 6th is obviously linked to all of that, and is mentioned in the mainstream stories as well.

Meicyn

Jan 22, 2010
EviLore EviLore I understand the need for this, but I feel that this kind of hampers the board in the sense that looking at someone who might post something a bit off kilter or out there is a look into the human psyche. The extremist views only fester if they aren't out there in the open. Though I do understand the need to curtail it.
Extremist views festered out in the open. That’s what brought us to this point.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Any distinction between talking about this shit as if it is real, or talking about it in the context of what is going on in the country? Trump world is inescapably entwined with Q, Lin Wood, Sydney Powell, and a lot of crazy stuff. What happened on the 6th is obviously linked to all of that, and is mentioned in the mainstream stories as well.
Alright.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
But what about my favorite daily briefs from Patriot Newsman of the West?

His avatar checks out.

ADS

Jul 5, 2009
Absolutely necessary and I'm glad to see it. Will make this place palatable for the non-crazies again. :messenger_clapping:

We can finally have political discussions between people of differing views without completely insane "the election was stolen!" conspiracy nonsense.

Last edited:

showernota

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2020
In the future you want, the answer to this will eventually be ‘no.’ lol

Last edited:
Reactions: hariseldon

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
Alternate realities, psyops, Some Guy Speaking Into a Camera on Bitchute, the_donald revolution/insurrection/whatever stuff, qanon, whatever crazy shit Lin Wood is saying, Covid denial, etc.

Can we still question how deadly COVID is, the efficacy and safety of vaccines, and government handling of lockdowns and how they are affecting the livelihoods of people and their families? These all seem like reasonable COVID concerns.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
This is really throwing a wrench into my draft post arguing that I really won the 2020 presidential election via the 2028 election transdimensionally adhering to the 2016 election but being delayed for 4 years due to my age and because I’m actually Tim Apple in disguise.

-Sent from my iPhone 21S Pro

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Can we still question how deadly COVID is, the efficacy and safety of vaccines, and government handling of lockdowns and how they are affecting ether livelihoods of people and their families? These all seem like reasonable COVID concerns.
Yeah, that's reasonable. Conspiracy-level denial and "guy from Bitchute says xyz" are what I'm referring to.

Oct 15, 2019
New York
I get it, and I will abide by it, but I'm gonna be honest and say I don't respect you near as much in light of this. NY Post's Hunter Biden story is STILL claimed to be a conspiracy theory by the people setting these standards. The existence of Antifa as anything but "an idea" is considered a conspiracy theory. Anything that makes the Democrats look bad is always a "conspiracy theory". Even if this stops the lunatics at Era from being able to shut down this site via contacting your web hosts, open and honest discussion of politics will be dead here anyway, so what's the point? Might as well just shut down the politics board outright.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
I get it, and I will abide by it, but I'm gonna be honest and say I don't respect you near as much in light of this. NY Post's Hunter Biden story is STILL claimed to be a conspiracy theory by the people setting these standards. The existence of Antifa as anything but "an idea" is considered a conspiracy theory. Anything that makes the Democrats look bad is always a "conspiracy theory". Even if this stops the lunatics at Era from being able to shut down this site via contacting your web hosts, open and honest discussion of politics will be dead here anyway, so what's the point? Might as well just shut down the politics board outright.
Who you extend respect to is your prerogative. How I run GAF is mine.

StateofMajora

Aug 7, 2020
So we can't discuss whether or not the election was stolen? Or is it just unconfirmed sources from randoms that are banned?

Aarbron

Jul 21, 2020
I'd stick to this guide if your unsure about how batshit a conspiracy theory is

Cool graphic, but why is Area 51 in blue? Shouldn't it be in green (anyway I'm getting OT :))

edit: (never mind, they probably mean the speculative aspects).

Last edited:
Reactions: Guilhermegrg

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
Personally I'd prefer it if Politics stayed out of NeoGAF and we stuck to talking about videogames and other stuff.

But in light of recent events, I think it's important that people keep the political conversation alive. Especially since Big Tech decided to silence all right wing dissent and is now actively hunting down dissenters.

But EviLore EviLore is right in keeping a tight rein on what should be acceptable as news or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.