• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Staff No conspiracy theories or fringe content on the Politics board

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
I know you're already banned but the events of the last week have changed the world forever going forward and everybody is scrambling to adjust
Last year the leftist forums and social media across the web organized mass violence across the united states. Billions in damage, multiple cities destroyed, dozens killed, cops killed, etc. They had public death threats against republicans during Kavanaugh, and they also had against the president.

Last week lax security allowed a few violent individuals into the capitol, during a million march in DC, and several 100 protesters followed them in.

I'm hearing conflicting statements, some sources say the governor was given the power to call the national guard by the pentagon days prior. Other sources are saying Trump blocked security. Some sources are saying Pelosi and Pence were the ones to call the national guard, other sources say it was Trump that called the national guard. But big tech wants to control the narrative and allow only one viewpoint to be heard.

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019
Last year the leftist forums and social media across the web organized mass violence across the united states. Billions in damage, multiple cities destroyed, dozens killed, cops killed, etc. They had public death threats against republicans during Kavanaugh, and they also had against the president.

Last week lax security allowed a few violent individuals into the capitol, during a million march in DC, and several 100 protesters followed them in.

I'm hearing conflicting statements, some sources say the governor was given the power to call the national guard by the pentagon days prior. Other sources are saying Trump blocked security. Some sources are saying Pelosi and Pence were the ones to call the national guard, other sources say it was Trump that called the national guard. But big tech wants to control the narrative and allow only one viewpoint to be heard.

Does not change the fact that it changed everything and we all have to adjust if we wish to be allowed a platform. Doesn't mean I agree

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Does not change the fact that it changed everything and we all have to adjust if we wish to be allowed a platform. Doesn't mean I agree
Agreed, but we still have an obligation to not let them run from their own violent past while pointing at Jan 6th and using it to for political gain. I've heard numerous mainstream sources like Juan Williams and others try to argue that what happened were two different things, and it's obvious why they are doing this.

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
The problem with outright banning "conspiracy theories" and "fringe content" is that who decides what is a conspiracy theory and what is fringe? I can understand keeping those sorts of discussions to their own threads instead of ruining threads whose intent is more moderate discussions, but not outright banning them. I don't believe in them, but then again, there are topics where I have a more nuanced view on things and don't just blindly follow whatever the mainstream media throws my way. Be critical of whatever information is said to you.

This seems like a knee jerk reaction because everyone else on Big Tech platforms are doing it (which is shameful, imho). The storming of the Capitol, while disgraceful in itself, ranks very low on the damage scale of everything that has transpired this year. Black Lives Matter movements and Antifa have caused far more carnage throughout US cities and cost far more lives. And guess what? Those movements were directly enabled and spread through social media platforms and the mainstream media. THEY also presented a "conspiracy" view that Cops were selectively targetting and killing black people with no statistical evidence to back up their claims. Yet it spread like wildfire. Where is the outrage for the white lady that was killed by cops during the capital protests? Why is it only the right-wing movements that are considered the danger here and we must now do something to stop them?

People posting fringe content and conspiracies aren't advocating violence necessarily. Ban/moderate those that do advocate violence. You can advocate violence even if you adhere to a mainstream view.
Parler did that and it didn't help. Big tech started with the more extreme right wing voices, but slowly moved to ever more moderate conservative voices, it ain't going to stop without legislation or supreme court rulings.
What changed everything was the election of Donald Trump in 2016 despite ample collusion from Big Tech an MSM(like some of the top Big tech execs caught on video saying they can't allow it to happen again), they've been increasing their censorship ever since, this is only the last straw in a long line that has been going for a few years now. Even just prior to the 2020 election they had already vastly ramped up censorship in preparation for the election.

Last edited:
Reactions: hariseldon

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014
I think people taking out their frustrations on GAF need to understand that everything is a symptom and not the cause.

Prior to January 6th events, I already had my suspicions that the internet was going to become increasingly insular and insular.

For example, who remembers this famous Metal Gear Solid quote? It's more relevant than ever.

What caught me by surprise, is just how fast everything is accelerating.

The President of the United States has been banned from the internet, and many Conservative leaning forums are going the same way. The future is looking very rocky, and I don't blame any of this on Neogaf.

We're living in the new world now where Corporations are bigger than the government, and they will soon start dictating life as we know it.

its because Trump is gone and cannot retaliate.

Reactions: hariseldon

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019
Parler did that and it didn't help. Big tech started with the more extreme right wing voices, but slowly moved to ever more moderate conservative voices, it ain't going to stop without legislation or supreme court rulings.

What changed everything was the election of Donald Trump in 2016 despite ample collusion from Big Tech an MSM(like some of the top Big tech execs caught on video saying they can't allow it to happen again), they've been increasing their censorship ever since, this is only the last straw in a long line that has been going for a few years now. Even just prior to the 2020 election they had already vastly ramped up censorship in preparation for the election.

I'd say it started even earlier than that with the creation of the Alt-right by the left. They created their enemy and labeled them racists, nazis and fascists. They then extended alt-right to mean everybody who isn't on the left.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
That is a real shame. GG is a good guy, reasonable and fair. I know I am treading on thin ice too. No doubt about it, I am a dissident. But I will abide by the rules and qualify what I say as best I can.

Losing allies fast here I feel.
He is a good guy, yeah. Nothing personal against him at all. But these rules are here to stay.

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
I'd say it started even earlier than that with the creation of the Alt-right by the left. They created their enemy and labeled them racists, nazis and fascists. They then extended alt-right to mean everybody who isn't on the left.
And eventually it was to anyone not far left as they also started labelling many of those in the more moderate left alt right.

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014

or labeling everyone they don’t agree with a “radical liberal”?

danowat

Aug 30, 2014
It's scary how everyone buckles down for imminent sanctions.

Am I allowed to say that censorship is real? Or are only left-wing conspiracies allowed? Like the earth only having 12 years left if we don't tackle the "climate crisis"?
That's a disingenuous take on what was actually said back in 2018, the real take was, we have 12 years to reduce the planets temperature increase before the affects affect a lot of people.

Poop!

Nov 21, 2014
How about we are talking about how it all started ? And what you keep bringing up is not it
How about we are talking about how it all started ? And what you keep bringing up is not it

so Steve Bannon calling Breitbart home of the alt right was from the liberal media?

Liberty4all

Banned
Nov 11, 2007

Am I allowed to say that censorship is real? Or are only left-wing conspiracies allowed? Like the earth only having 12 years left if we don't tackle the "climate crisis"?
EviLore EviLore will correct me if I'm wrong, but he's saying to keep discussions in the Overton Window. And I believe he's saying that because it's a dangerous time right now for speech and businesses that fall outside that window. Dangerous as in "no more neogaf" because deplatformed dangerous. And the truth is we aren't thedonald, nor are we /r/politics... It's a video game forum. Who wants to run unnecessary risk over a non core subject.

It's hard for those of us who have been around since reee split in 2017. Alot of us who stayed through the dark times are pretty far right. So it hurts, not going to lie.

But as an adult I understand that evilore has a responsibility to keep the forum about video games up and running, not to save the world. This is not personal, it's about protecting the site from deplatforming.

May 22, 2018
Was busy last night and today so I missed this, but this is a fantasic change in my opinion EviLore EviLore and I hope it will result in a return to form when it comes to politics discussion. The last couple months of conspiracy stuff was really pushing me to the edge. I felt embarrassed for the section with some of the stuff that was being thrown around. Especially the Lin Wood stuff about Epstein being alive and having been secreted away by the government. That was just pants on head nuts.

Really looking forward to actually talking about relevant politics again and not the latest fraud claims from Twitter.

Last edited:

danowat

Aug 30, 2014
Last edited:
May 22, 2018
It's your forum Evilore, so it's your rules.

However, this will be the downfall of Gaf in the long term, whether by making the forum unattractive to people who wish to have a free and open discourse and thus making them voluntarily leave, or by gradually creating an environment where everyone is walking on eggshells and eventually anyone can suffer repercussions.

I don't know what kind of pressure you must be facing from your end, especially from people, such as those from Era, who wish you harm, but I know that ultimately this won't end well for any of us and least of all for Gaf's future.
This is ridiculous. There can still be a free and open discourse. Evilore is just asking that the board stays away from baseless conspiracy theories and other tinfoil hat nonsense as well trying to stick to more reliable sources when it comes to thread creation and rumor milling. That is more than reasonable.

He isn't clapping anyone in chains for going against the grain a bit. Just don't act like a crazy person. It's not difficult.

Feb 18, 2013

It does make it very clear who has the power. To be honest I’m not 100% clear on the new rules still because ‘conspiracy theory’ and ‘fringe content’ are open to interpretation. Just because the Great Reset is called a conspiracy theory by the NYT and the BBC, does this mean we can’t discuss it when it is indisputably a real thing that is going to impact all our lives and that the Biden administration, via John Kerry, have said they will take forward “with greater speed and with greater intensity than a lot of people might imagine.”

I intend to continue to speak freely within the framework of the new rules as far as is possible. Censorship is clearly an issue and basically it’s in all our interests to stop this place from being taken down. Doesn’t mean we can’t discuss things, just means we have to consider how we do so.

This impacts everyone, regardless of political alignment. If I perceive the moderation policy become partisan I will raise it with the mods. I am already concerned with the bans given out if I’m honest but I’ll have to see how it goes.

I will also have a zero tolerance policy towards personal insults, being accused of being a conspiracy theorist or mentally ill, and being goaded with the triggered and lol reactions, even when I have made a joke. There will be no humour allowed on my watch.

Do not laugh at my jokes.

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019
i can’t keep up with your goal posts as you are moving them too much

You come in to a discussion about how this all started giving multiple examples of things that happenned after the agreed upon earliest disgression. There is no goalpost moving, just bad reading comprehension on your part

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
It's your forum Evilore, so it's your rules.

However, this will be the downfall of Gaf in the long term, whether by making the forum unattractive to people who wish to have a free and open discourse and thus making them voluntarily leave, or by gradually creating an environment where everyone is walking on eggshells and eventually anyone can suffer repercussions.

I don't know what kind of pressure you must be facing from your end, especially from people, such as those from Era, who wish you harm, but I know that ultimately this won't end well for any of us and least of all for Gaf's future.
Go look back at the forum in past 2 months and see the types of threads that were created by the same amount of people...then see what that lead to last week...

odd_hatch

Aug 28, 2018
So you've taken a single quote from an interview (that I wasn't aware of) and because of it's (unsubstantiated claim) decided that climate change doesn't exist in spite of all the evidence for it?
That's obviously not what I said, but you guys always assume the worst. Aaaand move the goal post of the conversation.

sobaka770

Jun 25, 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
Damn, I was out all day and come back to several huge thread. EviLore EviLore that's a very welcome change.
We had way way too many really crazy threads made in the past months and a lot of really weird takes were based on a random Tweet. A Tweet!

I get that a lot of posters distrust MSM and some think it's largely filled leftist propaganda (which somehow I am part of as a fake Russian but that's a separate lol from me), I get the people don't like that Trump lost, I get that it's annoying that investigations produced nothing but embarrassment for Trump so far on all account etc. It's normal to expect that amount of emotion from such a big potentially important historical event. But the flood of simply miserable/unsubstantiated/debunked and simply unneeded repetitive topics was just too much and it made Politics forum look just awful especially after election.

I hope we get better discussion in this section after this and I don't mean necessarily left-wing inundation - just BETTER threads and maybe less of them on the same topic from a different Tweet.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Jun 25, 2018
Stuck in 1Q84.
According to NeoGAF's new rules I am not allowed to give the incorrect opinion.

So of course it's real and it's entirely my fault.
I wonder how semi cynical smirk like this will be treated like.

On to the topic: nice, obviously. Things are just very convoluted these days, its an excercise in futility to go in those rabbit holes in general.

Reactions: EviLore
May 22, 2018
Except left-wing conspiracies exist and they were never at risk of being banned.

For four years, you could call Trump a Russian agent and that the Oval Office was being held hostage by a piss tape and how did the media react?

"Lol dude, lets turn it into a Saturday night routine!"

Yet when Biden gets inaugurated on January 20th, how many movies, cartoons, TV shows are all going to say he is a fake president? He rigged the election? He's owned by China?

Zero. Biden is literally the first President who will always be shielded from criticism by the media and big tech. No one will be able to talk down to him, lest they want to get fired or be called "racist".

If both left wing and right-wing conspiracies were censored, that could be justified as fair. But it's obvious that only Conservatism is taking the brunt of what you're allowed to say on the web.
If you think that the media isn't going to take Biden to the cleaners over his performance as President then you have lost the plot.

As of January 20th he and his administration take Trump's place as the media favorite puching bag. More stimulus, legalization of marijuana, student loan debt, healthcare, etc etc. The Dems have the presidency and they have congress after 4 years of misery. You are crazy if you think the media (Left or Right) won't hang his ass out to dry the moment he does something they don't like or that will get them views.

Biden is not some messiah. He will get torn down or built up just like every other president. It just depends on his performance.

Riven326

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
United States
If you think that the media isn't going to take Biden to the cleaners over his performance as President then you have lost the plot.

As of January 20th he and his administration take Trump's place as the media favorite puching bag. More stimulus, legalization of marijuana, student loan debt, healthcare, etc etc. The Dems have the presidency and they have congress after 4 years of misery. You are crazy if you think the media (Left or Right) won't hang his ass out to dry the moment he does something they don't like or that will get them views.

Biden is not some messiah. He will get torn down or built up just like every other president. It just depends on his performance.
The same media that gushed over Obama for eight years and treated him like a Hollywood celebrity instead of the president? That media?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK

Normally I would agree, but I think in this particular situation he's going to get a lot of free passes due to who he's superseding. I expect four years of "well, at least he's not Trump".

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
I asked earlier, but whatabout conspiracies grounded in reality like the Biden laptop ? Written of as conspiracy before the election, turned out true after
There's a kind of grace period when things are breaking. It can be tough to immediately tell, but over time the truth becomes clear. The Hunter laptop is an example, and so is election fraud. The issue isn't having questions, it's not accepting answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkMiller

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

They've already returned to having polished glamour shots of him in every photo instead of using off-take photos like they do with Trump lmao

May 22, 2018
The same media that gushed over Obama for eight years and treated him like a Hollywood celebrity instead of the president? That media?
What news have you been watching? Obama has been blasted for his handling of syria as well as his prolific use of drones. And here more recently he and his wife have also taken a tremendous amount of flack from the left wing media in particular when it comes to their close relationship with the Bush family. Some leftists see their friendly public relationship as a sort of image rehabilitation for Bush who was objectively a terrible president in his own right.

Obama is not nearly the sainted angel in the eyes of the media that the Right tries to pretend. It's much better by comparison to Trump, but that's for good reason.

Last edited:

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019
What news have you been watching? Obama has been blasted for his handling of syria as well as his prolific use of drones. He and his wife have also taken a tremendous amount of flack from the left wing media in particular when it comes to their close relationship with the Bush family. Some leftists see their friendly public relationship as a sort of image rehabilitation for Bush who was objectively a terrible president in his own right.

Obama is not nearly the sainted angel in the eyes of the media that the Right tried to pretend.

He was during his presidency though. It was only after that the cracks were allowed to be shown

Feb 18, 2013
Go look back at the forum in past 2 months and see the types of threads that were created by the same amount of people...then see what that lead to last week...

There is no explicit link between what happened at the Capitol and any thread that was created on this forum and it is inflammatory to suggest there is, unless you can point me to a thread that involved planning/discussing what happened.

The assault on the Capitol was the most monumentally stupid and self-destructive act done by a tiny minority of Trump supporters who under Trump’s time in office.

I would suggest the majority of Trump supporters would agree.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
It does make it very clear who has the power. To be honest I’m not 100% clear on the new rules still because ‘conspiracy theory’ and ‘fringe content’ are open to interpretation. Just because the Great Reset is called a conspiracy theory by the NYT and the BBC, does this mean we can’t discuss it when it is indisputably a real thing that is going to impact all our lives and that the Biden administration, via John Kerry, have said they will take forward “with greater speed and with greater intensity than a lot of people might imagine.”

I intend to continue to speak freely within the framework of the new rules as far as is possible. Censorship is clearly an issue and basically it’s in all our interests to stop this place from being taken down. Doesn’t mean we can’t discuss things, just means we have to consider how we do so.

This impacts everyone, regardless of political alignment. If I perceive the moderation policy become partisan I will raise it with the mods. I am already concerned with the bans given out if I’m honest but I’ll have to see how it goes.

I will also have a zero tolerance policy towards personal insults, being accused of being a conspiracy theorist or mentally ill, and being goaded with the triggered and lol reactions, even when I have made a joke. There will be no humour allowed on my watch.

Do not laugh at my jokes.

You're off Politics.

Riven326

Banned
Mar 25, 2019
United States
What news have you been watching? Obama has been blasted for his handling of syria as well as his prolific use of drones. He and his wife have also taken a tremendous amount of flack from the left wing media in particular when it comes to their close relationship with the Bush family. Some leftists see their friendly public relationship as a sort of image rehabilitation for Bush who was objectively a terrible president in his own right.

Obama is not nearly the sainted angel in the eyes of the media that the Right tries to pretend. It's much better by comparison to Trump, but that's for good reason.
The left wing media praised Bush and compared him favorably to Trump. something that was unthinkable just a few years ago. Obama was always treated with kid gloves by the liberal media. He was given a Nobel peace prize for winning the presidency, ffs.

Aug 28, 2019
You should ban blatantly lying while you are at it, because there's a lot of that here.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
The left wing media praised Bush and compared him favorably to Trump. something that was unthinkable just a few years ago. Obama was always treated with kid gloves by the liberal media. He was given a Nobel peace prize for winning the presidency, ffs.
What you are describing now just the usual media bias. The Right win media endlessly blasted Obama. Remember the tan suit? Remember the feet on the desk? That same right wing media made excuses and ran cover for Trump for 4 years.

There is Right and Left wing media bias and there has been for over 20 years now. But the Right still criticized Trump at times and the Left criticized Obama. Biden is not going to have a magical cloak of invincibility all of a sudden just because he is the guy who finally kicked Trump out of the White House. I'm sure there will be a honeymoon period, but I'll eat my phone with BBQ sauce if the media is not criticizing him over some decision or event come the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shouta
Status
Not open for further replies.