• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No demo for Infamous: Second Son

In case anyone was hoping for one. I somehow thought of ground zeroes when reading this.

There are no plans to release a playable demo for Infamous: Second Son, brand development director Ken Schramm has told VideoGamer.com, who believes that a demo wouldn't do the game "justice".

"I don't think we're going to have a demo," Schramm told us earlier today. "It's hard to have a demo with an open world game to be honest with you. You what, pick two missions out of the whole thing then you give them a little slice of the world, you gotta make all these walls? I don't think [having a demo] does justice to an open-world game."

Set in a recreated version of Seattle, Infamous: Second Son puts players in the role of Delsin Rowe, a 'normal guy' given superhuman powers that they can choose to use for good or evil deeds.

The game launches exclusively on PlayStation 4 on Friday, March 21.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/infamous_second_son/news/no_demo_for_infamous_second_son.html

Courage

Not a big issue. The pre-order numbers are impressive, so it seems like they're satisfied with how much the game is going to sell.

Silky

Banned
Please just don't be a mediocre, half-assed gameplay experience like the first two inFAMOUS titles were, Sucker Punch.

Akihidas

Yeah I'm glad they're doing this, the demo I played was walled off and very linear while also not showing much of the game off outside of some pretty neon lights. A demo would probably end up disappointing most people.

Why not give 5 missions and add a timer of 30 minutes
The demo could mislead people. If you only have 1 or 2 powers in the demo, people might think that's all you get. Conversely, they would have to spoil the other powers to enable them in a demo. I agree with him: a demo for this game sounds like a bad idea.

Please just don't be a mediocre, half-assed gameplay experience like the first two inFAMOUS titles were, Sucker Punch.
thankfully they weren't. they were sandbox superpower games. they were only as boring as the players who play them.

cackhyena

The demo could mislead people. If you only have 1 or 2 powers in the demo, people might think that's all you get. Conversely, they would have to spoil the other powers to enable them in a demo. I agree with him: a demo for this game sounds like a bad idea.
? You do two powers and then do a montage teaser...or even just text at the end of the demo to let them know there's more to come. Pretty simple.

Dinjooh

lIuw5cJ.gif

Silky

Banned
thankfully they weren't. they were sandbox superpower games. they were only as boring as the players who play them.

And yet I've played so many other sandbox superhero titles that do the gameplay much better than an inFAMOUS title.

To this day, The Incredible Hulk: UD holds up much more compared to the inFAMOUS titles.

I'm excited for Second Son but after the last two titles I really don't want to be burned again...

WoolyNinja

Sure the 1st one got repetitive, but this comment sure seems like you didn't play the 2nd one. And if you did, you didn't play it for very long.

I'm excited for Second Son but after the last two titles I really don't want to be burned again...

I suggest you don't buy the game, then. You know what you're getting into and you clearly don't want to enjoy the game. Save the money and buy something else.

Jonboy

And yet I've played so many other sandbox superhero titles that do the gameplay much better than an inFAMOUS title.

To this day, The Incredible Hulk: UD holds up much more compared to the inFAMOUS titles.

I think we can save you a little trouble here...if you didn't like the others, you probably shouldn't be excited for Second Son.

Edit: Beaten by Impeccable.

Roto13

I wasn't too impressed with the InFamous 1 demo but I ended up really liking the game when I got around to playing it anyway.

So he's probably right.

FinalD

Didn't inFamous have a demo?

What does this even mean? It's not like you can do whatever you want because that's just who you are.

Griss

Been a long time, but I remember having a great time with the Just Cause 2 demo.

Probably the greatest demo I ever played, and the one demo that got me to leave the house the next day to buy the game.

Second Son hasn't convinced me, so a demo could have done a Just Cause 2 job on it. As it is, reviews will sway me.

Demos can have a detrimental effect on the full product. Doesn't really surprise me that they're becoming rarer these days.

dose

The demo could mislead people. If you only have 1 or 2 powers in the demo, people might think that's all you get. Conversely, they would have to spoil the other powers to enable them in a demo.
Isn't that an issue for like, every game demo, ever? I don't see that as being the issue, I imagine the install would be into double figures for a start...

Both of them were poorly paced, especially in the first game it took forever until you got to the fun allowed powers

The gameplay itself was pretty good in the second half of each game but you had to dredge through hours of no fun allowed chores to get there

I had way more fun with prototype and jc2 which are also 'make your own fun' sandbox games because they didnd't suffer from the same problem

I suggest you don't buy the game, then. You know what you're getting into and you clearly don't want to enjoy the game. Save the money and buy something else.

Yep, if you didn't like the first two games then I sincerely doubt Second Son will change your mind.

Shaneus

They should've seen how the original Crackdown demo was done. Open world, superpowers, enticed me to buy the game, didn't feel cheated or that it was over too soon.

MSMrRound

Demo booths don't count? Locally, PlaystationAsia is going to have some sort of preview at one of their Sony Focus stores in town. Guess it's probably that Fetch introduction mission that was demonstrated by some gaming websites.

teknix

Neo Member
Demos for AAA games are so rare and seem to have been replaced by a lot of controlled media coverage coming from the publisher. So instead of gamers getting their hands on a demo, you get to see a dev play a demo and you can watch. Definitely not as fun.

But in a time where graphical flaws or buggy gameplay can quickly turn into 100 page thread and thereby swaying gamer opinion towards your product, it is understandable how publishers would want to control as much of a game's perception and get as many pre-orders as possible.

Titanfall was an exception and despite some people not liking it, I'd think overall the demo reception was positive and created a lot of positive buzz for the game.

styl3s

Established franchise, it doesn't need a demo.

Have you played Infamous 1 or 2? Like 1 or 2? There is a good chance you are going to like the 3rd. I have never been a fan of demos to begin with (well, most demos) because most demos i have played has either showed off a really bad portion of the game or was just an overall shitty demo. There are always exceptions to the rule of course. How many demos do we get for these super "aaa" games anyways?

Silky

Banned
Sure the 1st one got repetitive, but this comment sure seems like you didn't play the 2nd one. And if you did, you didn't play it for very long.

Around getting my new PS3 last year inFAMOUS 2 was on PS+. I played the game up to the point where my moral tree thing was all the way towards the good marker and doing a good chuck of the main story (I would guess at around 4 hours.) Then everything devolved into a boring drag of guiding bolts to different power sources, banging up different droves of enemies and not really getting anywhere with my powers I would be a liar if I said the city segments were much better than the swamp segments. Because they aren't.

I am enjoying following Second Son! They replaced Doucebro McBaldHead for someone more to my liking. His abilities are interesting. His powers are interesting. The cast revealed so far are pretty cool.

Even though I couldn't care less about Second Son's setting, I think SS would be really good. Bummed there's no demo. Makes me slightly worried that I can't try the gameplay before investing into it.

You can be a fan of a series and be disappointed about how mediocre the gameplay is. Hell, I mean like LittleBig Planet.

Demos for AAA games are so rare and seem to have been replaced by a lot of controlled media coverage coming from the publisher. So instead of gamers getting their hands on a demo, you get to see a dev play a demo and you can watch. Definitely not as fun.

But in a time where graphical flaws or buggy gameplay can quickly turn into 100 page thread and thereby swaying gamer opinion towards your product, it is understandable how publishers would want to control as much of a game's perception and get as many pre-orders as possible.

Titanfall was an exception and despite some people not liking it, I'd think overall the demo reception was positive and created a lot of positive buzz for the game.

Lot's of people don't buy a game before they first play it. So that goes both way.

haha no. don't even put that crap in the same league as infamous.

Didn't inFamous have a demo?

What does this even mean? It's not like you can do whatever you want because that's just who you are.
some people would want to pull a car from the streets to the roof and thrown it to enemy that's shooting at you from the next building. others would just use the r1 button to shoot the enemy directly then they say the game is boring.
Both of them were poorly paced, especially in the first game it took forever until you got to the fun allowed powers

The gameplay itself was pretty good in the second half of each game but you had to dredge through hours of no fun allowed chores to get there

I had way more fun with prototype and jc2 which are also 'make your own fun' sandbox games because they didnd't suffer from the same problem

infamous 2 kept a lot of your powers from infamouds 1 so you didn't have to start with nothing and you got the special powers early as well.

Top Bottom