• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

Cyriades

I have recently been enjoying both my PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Although the PlayStation 4 is a great console, I like my Xbox One controller a lot more. I googled ‘xbox one controller pc drivers’ a while ago and I found that Microsoft was planning to release PC drivers “sometime in 2014.” Well it is sometime in 2014 now and there are no drivers.

I reached out to a contact that I have at Microsoft. The contact requested that I reach them on a line that was not at the company. When we had a conversation about the drivers, he revealed to me what their plans are. According to the source, Microsoft’s current plan is to release a Windows version of the controller that would come bundled with a dongle, and not release PC drivers for the Xbox One version.

There is a Windows version of the controller currently in the works, I can confirm. The plan is to pretty much leave those who have the controller that came with the console in the dark. Microsoft realized they could make an extra $50 or so bucks off of NOT releasing the drivers so it seems we will either not release the drivers at all or wait until a far later date. Even with the drivers they would most likely make you buy the wireless dongle and not allow you use the controller via micro USB.

When I asked if the Windows version would be Bluetooth the contact said that it was not a part of the plan and he highly doubted it. I am currently reaching out to Microsoft PR for a statement.

http://nextingaming.com/2014/03/11/rumour-no-pc-drivers-for-xbox-one-controller/

I was hoping for a Titanfall release for the drivers. :(

tumblr_inline_mv7hieEOpO1rima5v.gif

kadotsu

Banned
Of course the PC would need a new dongle. They use a proprietary and new signal. I thought this was expected.

Thats stupid if true and I have a hard time believing it. I want to use my Xbox One controller on my PC (for the few times I use a controller with PC) but I won't buy another for the luxury.

Beant

Smart move if true.

Piss of the people that spend the most money on gaming. (People that own consoles and also a nice PC)

xemumanic

Well, first off, the controller isn't Bluetooth, its WiFi Direct.

Secondly, MS already said they were making drivers.

Of course the PC would need a new dongle. They use a proprietary and new signal. I thought this was expected.

No. The Xbox One controller, unlike the 360's, does send control signals when plugged in via USB. An adapter would only be needed if you wanted to use it wireless.

Hmm. That would suck for everyone who bought the controller already in anticipation of Windows drivers. Bad move, Microsoft.

Yuuichi

I can understand why they would do this from a business perspective, but it's still a scummy move. Even though I don't use controllers, I do hope for those who do that this dies a rumor.

nded

Hah, I've got a friend that bought an XB1 controller just to use on PC. He's going the be pissed if this is true.

The controller is apparently perfectly capable of working through USB.

def sim

The rumor is that they are releasing drivers, but may keep them bundled with a dongle and controller rather than having it available for everyone. At least, maybe, initially.

I know it's the title of the article, but maybe we should be a little more discerning.

Sophia

Well, the one good thing they did for PC gaming over the last decade was standardizing the controller interface.

It wasn't even that great. For all the benefits it introduced, it also brought an absurd number of compatibility issues. Xbox 360 controllers don't work well with older DirectInput games, and DirectInput controllers (which are still being released today) don't always work with modern games if the developer made it xInput only.

Hopefully this rumor is bunk, as it's not good for anyone. Except Microsoft. :\

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The 360 controller became the defacto standard for PC gaming, why would they fuck it up and not try and move everyone to the Xbox One controller?

Microsoft ain't makin sense

dhlt25

well the dongle is expected. I just want to know when it get release. I really like how it feel when I tried it at the booth

epmode

True or not, Microsoft is one of the worst things to happen to PC gaming. Terrible company. It sure would be great if Linux becomes a viable alternative.

Yoday

This really sucks for XB1 owners that also game on the PC, but I can completely understand why they are doing this. Just imagine how much money they could have made this last generation if you had to buy yet another X360 controller specifically for your PC. Most people already had multiple controllers for their X360, so assigning one to be the PC controller wasn't a big deal.

grebby

The 360 controller became the defacto standard for PC gaming, why would they fuck it up and not try and move everyone to the Xbox One controller?

Microsoft ain't makin sense

This. Surely the cost of getting some Windows drivers would be worth it for the amount of money they'll make from Xbox One controllers? I have a few friends who don't own an Xbox One but would like to get a Xbone controller if there's official drivers for Windows. Hell I'm one of those people.

Not convinced of this rumour, I think they will do it... eventually.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Not really sure why people are surprised by this regarding using the controller wirelessly. The Xbox 360 controller worked the same way, you needed a USB dongle to use it.

The big issue here is if MS actually locks out people from using the controller in wired mode on PC or prevents existing users from getting a dongle to use with the controller they already have. That would be a bad move.

Ryaaan14

Banned
There's absolutely no way in hell they won't release drivers for the Xbone pad.

It would be pissing away loads of money.

Pachinko

No "official" driver support. Much like the dual shock 3, I imagine it won't be hard at all to get one working on a PC , especially if they bring out a PC only version of the controller.

Top Bottom