• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

Iacobellis

Now? To me it had the superior controller for PC from the first day it went on sale.

Agreed. I meant "now" since Microsoft is apparently not giving a rat's ass about PC gaming. Have any developers implemented DualShock 4 button prompts into their games, yet?

sn00zer

Sony better get on that shit ASAP, because X360 pad became the defacto PC controller, hell i bought one and never had a 360

RedSwirl

Just get a controller with a good dpad then.

I just explained the situation dude. Right now the choice for Xinput controllers is usually a good dpad OR having analog sticks OR paying an insane price for both. The only Xinput contorller I've seen with a great Dpad is the Mad Catz Street Fighter pad which has no analog sticks, and you can barely find that anymore. And of course there's the $100 MLG pad.

furious

Banned
If true, I forecast a couple things happening:

• 'Controller firmware read/write hacked to convert Console <-> PC.
  • Third party (read: cheap) PC dongles.

Well, the one good thing they did for PC gaming over the last decade was standardizing the controller interface.

I agree. Unfortunately, that was only when they still thought there was an opportunity to get PC gamers to pay a subscription fee to play online MP. When that initiative failed miserably, the whole GFW and GFWL thing was for all intents and purposes, abandoned. However, they did not officially abandon the platform so they managed to cripple a good number of games over the years that proceeded that.

Iacobellis

I just explained the situation dude. Right now the choice for Xinput controllers is usually a good dpad OR having analog sticks OR paying an insane price for both. The only Xinput contorller I've seen with a great Dpad is the Mad Catz Street Fighter pad which has no analog sticks, and you can barely find that anymore. And of course there's the $100 MLG pad.

What's wrong with the DS4?

vg260

Dammit. I have an Xbox One pad sitting here I won't be able to use then.

My stupid fault for believing them.

8 hours ago, he said he would release his driver in 4 hours...HMMMMM.

Also, last time I connected my X1 pad to my pc, it done the usual "no drivers", now it won't show up at all!

Nothing wrong with the 360 controller anyway. Less money to give to microsoft's proprietary bullshit.

Protip: now that I have 4 360 controllers and no xbox, I ended up building a 360 wireless receiver for $3. Buy a wireless receiver board taken from an actual 360 from eBay and solder a USB cable+diode onto it. Takes less than 10 mins to complete, and you don't have to worry about shitty reception or power problems in the Chinese clones since these are the exact modules used in the console.

This would solve my problem if true. I was going to buy an 360 controller, and a dongle for my PC. So this would solve my problem fully. It just feels wrong since some people were expecting the Xbox One controller themselves to have PC drivers (me included).

Whelp, I have a Dual shock 4 using the Unofficial Drivers modders created and they work perfect right now. However, the Xbox one controller isn't even plug and play so the same unfortunately wouldn't happen .

AlexBasch

A store had a big sale on Xbox One controllers over here in my country last week.

Would have bought one in a heartbeat if it had PC support. ):

Yeah I bet they're lining up around the block to implement prompts for a controller which isn't even officially supported by the manufacturer ;)

I still think Gaikai will be the catalyst that gets Sony to release official drivers. I can't imagine that they haven't considered a PC client.

Does it have to be? Most games work with the DS4 straight out of the box, no drivers needed. ;)

Any game which does would also work with any standard HID controller though, if you don't have a specific driver the game can't tell what the buttons look like because all it sees is "generic twin stick controller". I think the best solution is to have a separate api where users can install button prompt sets like icons, and have the game read and display those. That way you could use literally any controller and have the right prompts, and if they don't exist you can make them yourself.

tumblr_inline_mv7hieEOpO1rima5v.gif

10/10.

Perfect second post

Novocaine

Wasn't planning on upgrading my 360 pad anyway, it works perfectly fine. It would be a little strange if they didn't release drivers ever, seeing as the 360 pad was considered one of the best controllers to use on a PC for such a long time.

People really have an issue with this? Y'all should have the button layouts memorized anyway.
I certainly wouldn't like it. Best thing about the 360 controller is 80% of the games I have played on PC are automatically mapped and change the game layout for me. It's great.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
this is pretty anti consumer and all, but if the pc only controller has bluetooth then im not even mad lol.

Miguel81

Different strokes for different folks. Personally enjoy looser sticks especially after the 360 sticks felt too similar to the tightness of PS2 sticks and had the same problems like drifting and slow turn.

I wish my DS3 was still working :(. Best controller I ever used besides weird ass triggers.

inb4DS3sucked

The A1 model DS3s have tighter sticks than the previous ones. I guess SONY quietly revamped their controllers.

Grief.exe

To everyone saying DS4 is there an updated guide/drivers somewhere? I tried it at release with some games but it didn't quite work right sometimes. E.g. mark of the ninja off the top of my head acted somewhat strange. When DS4 was plugged in it wouldn't center the screen and I couldn't see myself.

It might have been using the DirectInput version and the Xinput version, which can cause issues.

Download new version, check hide direct input

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

I gotta fuck around with driver emulators and the fact that the buttons and button icons will never match up.

I don't mind the button icons not matching up, I just don't like all the hurdles that need to be jumped over to get it to work for certain games. Downloading the drivers and getting it prepared isn't hard. It's getting it to work for a specific game, which is difficult.

I still haven't got my DS4 to work on Sleeping Dogs, or mostly any of my Steam games. The only game it worked perfectly so far for, was that Titamfall beta on PC.

scitek

Agreed. I meant "now" since Microsoft is apparently not giving a rat's ass about PC gaming. Have any developers implemented DualShock 4 button prompts into their games, yet?

I doubt Ubisoft did it intentionally, but I read that Assassin's Creed 4 detects a DualShock 4 natively and changes the button prompts accordingly, but I haven't seen it for myself.

Uff duh

Banned
Wow that's lame for folks with the Xbox one. I want that controller, don't want the Xbox One. I was just waiting for the drivers before I bought it. The stupid thing is they are only screwing over people that bought Xbox one's. They don't get take care of you best customers, Lame.

d9b

Banned
That's because XboxOne (and XboxOne controller) were beta tested in the future and them PC drivers will only be invented 2 years from now it's basically inception meets back to the future it's complicated please understand.

Top Bottom