• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

Megasoum

Banned
Well the only good thing about that is that it might force Sony to release proper official drivers. Would be an easy PR win for them.

"Hey guys, you're one of the 6 millions people who owns a PS4? Great, now you have a great PC controller too! And at no extra cost!"

outsida

Wouldn't the wireless dongle need to have the Xbox one controller drivers in order for it to work? This rumor doesn't really make much sense. Either way I bought a cronusmax in order to use my Xbox one pad and KI Fightstick on the PC. Works just fine.

vg260

Wouldn't the wireless dongle need to have the Xbox one controller drivers in order for it to work? This rumor doesn't really make much sense. Either way I bought a cronusmax in order to use my Xbox one pad and KI Fightstick on the PC. Works just fine.

I bought the stupid play and charge one since Amazon gave me a $30 bonus toward it for my (canceled) Xbox One preorder. Now I'm trying to decide if I should sell it at cost/loss, or maybe pick up one of those CronusMax things I was looking at anyway.

feel

Microsoft’s current plan is to release a Windows version of the controller that would come bundled with a dongle
I don't have an xbox one so I'm ok with this. Was gonna buy the dongle anyways (if my current x360 one wasn't compatible), can't stand to play wired.

Now hurry the fuck up with it microsoft.

Well I was going to buy the Titanfall controller for PC gaming but fuck you Microsoft. Greedy cunts as usual.

We don't even know if this is true yet.

If they are going to sell the controller, there will have to be drivers. Sounds like it will be the same thing as what happened later last generation; you have to buy a controller to get the dongle.

The Xbox 360 controller is fine as it is, most developers are using it as the go-to controller for PC anyway when it comes to controller settings.

Piggus

We don't even know if this is true yet.

If they are going to sell the controller, there will have to be drivers. Sounds like it will be the same thing as what happened later last generation; you have to buy a controller to get the dongle.

Would it honestly surprise you if it were true?

Grief.exe

Wouldn't old games have to patch in PS style button prompts if you wanted them? Or is that somehow handled driver side?

That is handled on a game-by-game basis.

Its really past time developers start including a menu option and texture assets for different controller types. With people commonly using the 360, DS4, and, coming soon, Steam Controller.

harSon

Banned
Such horse shit if true. I'm both reluctant to believe it since it's an incredibly idiotic move to make, and accepting, since moves of that nature seem to be coming from Microsoft more and more as of late.

jaypah

Guess I will continue to use my wireless 360 controller if this turns out to be true. I actually think the DS4 is just as comfy but I'd have to use it wired so maybe later.

Wouldn't old games have to patch in PS style button prompts if you wanted them? Or is that somehow handled driver side?

If Sony makes official drivers, I think you'd see more devs add an option to change the button prompts. But for older games, yeah, you'd see X360 prompts. Doesn't bother some people, would probably bug me.

I'm just saying from a business stand-point, Sony has a lot to gain here. Assuming the cost of developing the drivers, and there's no business/legal reason Sony can't make an XInput controller.

Actually, technical question: an Xbox 360 controller acts as both a DirectInput and XInput device, right?

HashTag

Banned
I kind of prefer using the 360 controller anyway, but I do hope they add support for the xbone controller eventually.

If Sony makes official drivers, I think you'd see more devs add an option to change the button prompts. But for older games, yeah, you'd see X360 prompts. Doesn't bother some people, would probably bug me.

It is a problem though if the game tells you to press X and that actually means Square.

I mean it's not like it wouldn't work but it's really, really non-optimal. At least with an XBO pad if the button prompts weren't updated the buttons would still be called the same thing.

shandy706

Don't believe it at all.

Official or not, we'll get drivers and/or a dongle.

My first wireless 360 controller setup (years ago) was a custom driver and a cheap dongle from China.

Thats really lame and stupid if true. Even if its a lie Microsoft is being really slow on the ball in terms of reacting to literally everything sony does. If they want peripheral support they should be aiming to get those controllers sold to everyone.

L Thammy

Wait, Xbox One controllers don't work on PC? Really? Could have sworn my buddy was using one when we were playing Tyrian last month.

How does MS benefit from this? I assume they make SOME kind of money from licensing Xinput right, or is it free?

I mean tthey'd only stand to make money from selling dongles and reinforce the Xbox brand outside of their own console. I mean Microsoft is definitely not associated entirely positively with PC gaming but they've certainly had a much stronger presence than Sony, it seems like a no brainer to keep that going.

mrg6290

Yea, I don't buy it.

If anything, this is just saying they will do something similar to what they did last gen.

Drivers will be released for the wired mode (like they said they would) and a dongle might be made available for purchase that lets you use the controller wirelessly.

Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

--

After looking more at the article the whole thing seems a bit more suspect.

"When I asked if the Windows version would be Bluetooth the contact said that it was not a part of the plan and he highly doubted it. I am currently reaching out to Microsoft PR for a statement."

X1 controller isn't Bluetooth. At least the guy asking the questions has no idea what he is talking about.

Anion

I really can't believe that they would leave this market opportunity like this...

And here I was thinking they would do some driver for OSX LOL

That's because XboxOne (and XboxOne controller) were beta tested in the future and them PC drivers will only be invented 2 years from now it's basically inception meets back to the future it's complicated please understand.

I barely understand the thought that goes into things that are done at Microsoft. I just assume that there's humans who are the visible form of the corporation but there's monkeys in the background that are secretly doing everything such as utilizing the power of the cloud.

KiraXD

It is a problem though if the game tells you to press X and that actually means Square.

I mean it's not like it wouldn't work but it's really, really non-optimal. At least with an XBO pad if the button prompts weren't updated the buttons would still be called the same thing.

I dont remember the last time i had to look at my controllers to see which button is what while playing games... i also dont get confused when switching consoles or controllers so often... dunno about anyone else but i can go straight from the DS4 to my 360 controller and know where X is on both without having to look.

I get that its not optimal for older games... but the general idea is that more devs can be taking advantage of this and start implementing △ o x □ prompts or prompt overlays

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MS could have made the One complement the PC the way the Vita complements the PS4 but their benign neglect of the platform is now starting to resemble mild hostility.

jim2011

Not gonna act like Microsoft is making some stupid mistake considering...

The most likely probability is this rumor is wrong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MS could have made the One complement the PC the way the Vita complements the PS4 but their benign neglect of the platform is now starting to resemble mild hostility.

I don't think we need to guess as to why former Valve veteran Jason Holtman only lasted six months. I'm sure he had many nefarious, malicious ideas such as "Stop fighting a losing battle against Steam with Windows Store exclusivity" and "Port over Xbox exclusives".

I can't say that there's really an Xbone-shaped hole in my PC controller collection, but I do still hope Microsoft can do the right thing and support their products fully.

Almighty

Maybe I am in the minority since it never really bothered me or even threw me off. I guess it helps that with the exception of the sticks the 360/Ps3 controllers are laid out the same way. So even if the button actually has a Square on it it is in the same place as the X button and serves the same purpose in games.

If the controllers were completely different then I could see the problem.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I can't say that there's really an Xbone-shaped hole in my PC controller collection, but I do still hope Microsoft can do the right thing and support their products fully.

How much do you want them to support their products fully? Do you want the XB1 controller to be fully compatible with every single game that the 360 pad supported or would you be ok with a initial release with a list of games it supports?

Remember that you have to plug in the XB1 controller to get a firmware update.

The QA on this has to be mind boggling. This takes time. Unless of course you're ok with them saying, "Good enough, It'll probably work everywhere else."

Within hours when they release the update to allow XB1 PC support I can almost guarantee that there will be a thread here saying "This controller doesn't work with this particular game. MS are idiots."

Top Bottom