• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
It's really odd how anti consumerist Microsoft is getting with just about all of it's products. Are they actively losing money that much as a company that they pick the most offensive route to squeeze people out of money? Like what's the deal with them literally doing the opposite of what people want or like at every turn? Even the Wireless 360 dongle for PC was stupid, but well worth it to use their controllers. Just make another dumb dongle and not only would that improve public opinion, but probably sell more controllers altogether.

Mandoric

Banned
I hope this is true. Xinput is one of the shittiest parts of the whole GFWL initiative - it 'saves' us from a one-time button configuration step at the cost of killing compatibility with any pad not from Microsoft unless you use an iffy translation wrapper, and gimping the possible inputs on a pad so hard that not even the DualShock 1 is fully supported.

I'd love to see this mean a shift back to DirectInput, especially if the Steam controller (which will be DirectInput) uses the same general button mappings as either the DS4 or the PS2 adapter/clone ecosystem.

ItsTheNew

I hope this is true. Xinput is one of the shittiest parts of the whole GFWL initiative - it 'saves' us from a one-time button configuration step at the cost of killing compatibility with any pad not from Microsoft unless you use an iffy translation wrapper, and gimping the possible inputs on a pad so hard that not even the DualShock 1 is fully supported.

I'd love to see this mean a shift back to DirectInput, especially if the Steam controller (which will be DirectInput) uses the same general button mappings as either the DS4 or the PS2 adapter/clone ecosystem.

I completely disagree. Leaving those types of things in the hands of developers usually makes setting up controllers a nightmare (ever play the original version of re4 on the pc? Hope you remember at a moments notice what button 3 and 4 are!). I prefer having a universal standard controller like the 360 and having the ease to simply boot up the game, instantly recognize the controller and map it appropriately.

More likely situation: They're simply not making the drivers available until the windows-specific package that includes the dongle is ready for retail.

Since the pad automatically switches over to USB when plugged in, the drivers will have to support that mode of operation, so once the drivers are available you'll be able to use your existing pads just fine so long as they're plugged in (and even in the unlikely even that they didn't want to provide a separate download for nefarious reasons, let's face it, once they're out in the wild they'll be easily available regardless).

This! A million times this.

jim2011

Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows $39.95 on Amazon

it's the exact same controller as the wired xbox 360 controller that is branded for xbox 360.

Microsoft is smart and recognizes that not everyone is going to realize they can use an Xbox branded controller on a PC so they repackaged the same exact controller and put Windows on the box.

The wireless controller for windows is also the same but it comes with the usb receiver needed as well.

Both controllers are the exact same as the 360 versions and work perfectly with 360.

Mandoric

Banned
I completely disagree. Leaving those types of things in the hands of developers usually makes setting up controllers a nightmare (ever play the original version of re4 on the pc? Hope you remember at a moments notice what button 3 and 4 are!). I prefer having a universal standard controller like the 360 and having the ease to simply boot up the game, instantly recognize the controller and map it appropriately.

I suppose it's nice for QTEfests, but most games I play don't need to shove "press A to shoot!" in my face. I also enjoy being able to play games from before 2007 or so, and from regions where the 360 didn't take off.

"Map it appropriately" is also a kind of silly argument, given how many bad PC ports recently have been locked into a single, bad layout because it's automatic.

On the other hand, there's no reason we can't have the best of both worlds: some games have started to default to a reasonable mapping on the DS4, and/or include PS button icons as an option.

SparkTR

So no stand-alone drivers then. Isn't really an issue for me since I'd sooner get an XBO controller than an XBO console.

ItsTheNew

I suppose it's nice for QTEfests, but most games I play don't need to shove "press A to shoot!" in my face. I also enjoy being able to play games from before 2007 or so, and from regions where the 360 didn't take off.

"Map it appropriately" is also a kind of silly argument, given how many bad PC ports recently have been locked into a single, bad layout because it's automatic.

On the other hand, there's no reason we can't have the best of both worlds: some games have started to default to a reasonable mapping on the DS4, and/or include PS button icons as an option.

I don't think having both options would be bad, it's just that for the majority of games on PC from 2000 ~ 2007 had gamepad configuration menus from hell. Most recently, it's nearly impossible to map Battlefield 3 to a 360 controller (yeah I know, PC shooter with a controller) even though they had it mapped out perfectly fine on both the 360 and PS3.

Saganator

It's really odd how anti consumerist Microsoft is getting with just about all of it's products. Are they actively losing money that much as a company that they pick the most offensive route to squeeze people out of money? Like what's the deal with them literally doing the opposite of what people want or like at every turn? Even the Wireless 360 dongle for PC was stupid, but well worth it to use their controllers. Just make another dumb dongle and not only would that improve public opinion, but probably sell more controllers altogether.

Getting? MS has been anti consumer for a long time. This is just another notch in their belt. I always felt just plugging my 360 controller into my PC and it working flawlessly was too easy and convenient for an MS product. Tired of jumping through MS' hoops.

big_z

If this rumor turns out true I wont really give a shit since I wouldnt use it wired with my pc in the first place. Ill buy a $7 chinese dongle and be done with it.

Daingurse

Lololololol, whhhhhhhy? I'll just keep using the 360 controller for the foreseeable future. No clue what the fuck their issue is.

Mandoric

Banned
I don't think having both options would be bad, it's just that for the majority of games on PC from 2000 ~ 2007 had gamepad configuration menus from hell. Most recently, it's nearly impossible to map Battlefield 3 to a 360 controller (yeah I know, PC shooter with a controller) even though they had it mapped out perfectly fine on both the 360 and PS3.

Like I said, there's absolutely nothing preventing devs from shipping titles that default to work with the layout and labeling of common DirectInput controllers. A fair number of Japanese titles through that time period did this with either Logitech's pads or the "standard" layout on cheap PS2 controller adapters.

And if we do it with DirectInput, we can use whatever controller we'd like, maintain wider compatibility if we'd like to use different controllers for different games, and we don't have to strictly adhere to the EXACT number of buttons and axises that the 360 pad has.

The only reason I don't buy this is

1. I thought Microsoft purposely included a micro USB port so there wasn't any need for proprietary bullshit.

2. The only people that would have to buy another controller would be people with an Xbox One and a gaming PC. I doubt that number is very high. If you want an Xbox One controller for your gaming PC, you'd just go buy the controller then.

3. They stated already that drivers are coming. With all the outrage already at them, I doubt they do that. They've been smarter about that kind of shit lately.

X1 controller is a step back from x360 controller anyway, the sticks feel so loose and those bumpers are horrible

It's not, in fact it's so much better than the worst thing about coming back to play on 360 after playing on the bone is dealing with the now crap controller.

Yeah, it's that good. And at first I didn't like the sticks or the bumpers either.

tumblr_inline_mv7hieEOpO1rima5v.gif
Fucking perfect.I'm dying over here

It's not, in fact it's so much better than the worst thing about coming back to play on 360 after playing on the bone is dealing with the now crap controller.

Yeah, it's that good. And at first I didn't like the sticks or the bumpers either.

This. At first I was kinda meh about the controller. it wasn't too different. After a month of using it and going back to play an Xbox 360 game, I picked up the 360 pad and it just weird so wrong and uncomfortable. The triggers are much more comfortable and the grip feels better in my hands

1. I thought Microsoft purposely included a micro USB port so there wasn't any need for proprietary bullshit.

2. The only people that would have to buy another controller would be people with an Xbox One and a gaming PC. I doubt that number is very high. If you want an Xbox One controller for your gaming PC, you'd just go buy the controller then.

3. They stated already that drivers are coming. With all the outrage already at them, I doubt they do that. They've been smarter about that kind of shit lately.

This.

Wiktor

True or not, Microsoft is one of the worst things to happen to PC gaming. Terrible company. It sure would be great if Linux becomes a viable alternative.

The sad thing is that Microsoft was also one of the best things that happened to PC gaming long time ago. I don't mind them now. With death of GFWL Microsoft bassicaly became non-entity on the market and all they do now is remaster their old games on Steam, which is pretty fun.

Grief.exe

I got a birthday coming up, just going to ask for a DS4 for PC gaming. I don't plan on getting a PS4 anytime soon, but I like the feel of the controllers and I am ready to shelve my 360 pad.

To be honest with you, the only reason these rumors are plausible is because its Microsoft. Generally, these type of things wouldn't be taken seriously as they are anti-consumer and make no business sense.

Microsoft's corporate structure encourages internal competition, which is why the PC gaming side has been beaten so vigorously since the Xbox's initial release. For context, it is one of the reasons why GFWL turned out so poorly.

Tsundere

Banned
They probably will not allow it because (as we've seen) the Xbox One can push firmware updates to the controller, so why not the reverse? Simple question of security.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
True or not, Microsoft is one of the worst things to happen to PC gaming. Terrible company. It sure would be great if Linux becomes a viable alternative.

Because Valve wouldn't ever do anything to take away your rights. Oh, the whole Steam thing.

You ultimately have to check in to Steam.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I got a birthday coming up, just going to ask for a DS4 for PC gaming. I don't plan on getting a PS4 anytime soon, but I like the feel of the controllers and I am ready to shelve my 360 pad.

I've been playing Titanfall with it. Feels excellent.

Wait, 360 pads are the ONLY things that work with XInput? no third party controllers can?

edit: Yeah guys third parties can use XInput it looks like (based off this Logitech controller that has a switch to do from DirectInput to XInput) so what's the big deal again? Sony could realistically make XInput PS4 drivers, or (in a perfect world) Nintendo could for the Wii U Pro Controller. Or anyone can.

Why is XInput bad?

I dont remember the last time i had to look at my controllers to see which button is what while playing games... i also dont get confused when switching consoles or controllers so often... dunno about anyone else but i can go straight from the DS4 to my 360 controller and know where X is on both without having to look.

I get that its not optimal for older games... but the general idea is that more devs can be taking advantage of this and start implementing △ o x □ prompts or prompt overlays

I don't get confused either because I'm extremely used to playing on both consoles. We can't assume every single person is, though. I wouldn't ever use a DS4 for my PC anyway, because I don't like the stick layout. But anyway.

How much do you want them to support their products fully? Do you want the XB1 controller to be fully compatible with every single game that the 360 pad supported or would you be ok with a initial release with a list of games it supports?

It's friggin' Microsoft. They spent $100 million just designing the thing. They're not gonna be put out by the cost of releasing a proper driver that works as well as the 360 pad one.

Wait, 360 pads are the ONLY things that work with XInput? no third party controllers can?

What? No. I have a Wii U Pro pad set up on XInput, even.

Biker19

Banned

You should look at their long history of anti-consumer practices & anti-trust lawsuits.

That's one of the reasons why I dislike Microsoft.

I don't know if the story is true but the Xbox One controller Works on Windows 8 using USB cable, and I know that some people are doing some drivers.

EDIT: Explanation of how to develop an Xbox One controller driver:

http://lucasassis.com/

XInput isn't perfect but going back to an API that was never all that well thought-out (and which hasn't been updated since 2002) isn't the solution. 4 controller limit, cap on available inputs, difficulty with third-party support -- all of these things could be fixed with improvements to the XInput API. (And third-party controllers could support switching to cover legacy games.)

Ultimately, sensible default configuration for 99% of players is just better than forcing people to reconfigure every game two or three times just to play it. When games don't support reasonable remappings on top of that, that's on the devs.

Red Comet

Lame. It's silly that I have a DS 4 and an Xbone controller yet I'm stuck usng my 360 controller unless I want to install third party software.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The fact that this is a believable story shows how bad MS had got in the eyes of PC gamers. MS, you need to step up your game.

LAA

Ha ha!
I'm one of those people who bought one in anticipation of the PC drivers.

MS are doing a great job of trying to get me on board. It is my fault ultimately I suppose for pressuming something I shouldn't have.
Oh well, if MS won't do it, someone else will, just disgusting attitude from MS...again....again. Espicially when the reason is basically "We want more money, screw our customers"

Hopefully it is just a rumour, if not... MS just really don't deserve anyone's custom, surprised the X1 managed to sell as much as it did despite all the shit.

Lame. It's silly that I have a DS 4 and an Xbone controller yet I'm stuck usng my 360 controller unless I want to install third party software.

What's wrong with using third party drivers?

I have DS4 paired via Bluetooth so I don't need a proprietary dongle and the software allows me to turn the LED light off as well as change rumble intensity. Something you wouldn't get with official drivers.

The markup on controllers is ridiculous, the fact that the Xbox One controller doesn't have official XInput drivers seems weird to me. I will probably end up using a wired 360 controller on my PC for eons though, I don't really care.

I don't know if the story is true but the Xbox One controller Works on Windows 8 using USB cable, and I know that some people are doing some drivers.

EDIT: Explanation of how to develop an Xbox One controller driver:

http://lucasassis.com/

Shame that Gallizzi started the lawsuit rumoring, when it seems almost entirely certain that he was merely looking to make some money off of releasing the drivers. I'm sure someone would have thrown something together by now.

Top Bottom