• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

No. The controller (in wired mode) will work as-is.

How wireless will/could work is TBD. There are some options we are looking at.

No more updates on the timeframe beyond what's been publicly stated - the plan is this year.

When the update comes out and we have more details, I can explain the holdup.

Please get the whip out and start scaring the interns. I was genuinely surprised when there wasn't launch support.

shandy706

Yes, we're looking into some options. First order is getting the wired controller working.

Good to hear :)

Wired doesn't do me any good (sit too far away...unless I use a loooong adapter).

I prefer wireless...and have already bought 3 Xbox One controllers. I'll be ready and waiting for the wireless dongle/hardware.

HoosTrax

Good to hear!
Same as everyone else though, don't understand how its taking so long.
Microsoft's apathy with regards to core PC gaming is difficult to understand?

I'm kind of meh about the whole situation myself. Benevolent neglect as opposed actively trying to push shoddy products upon us (GFWL) is ok by me. Is this thing really that much of an improvement over the 360.

Chettlar

Banned
Yes, we're looking into some options. First order is getting the wired controller working.

Just wanted to say that I really, really appreciate the way doing it wired works. Sounds much more convenient.

Once the drivers are out, I'll get one of these. Then when I get an Xbox One, being able to switch back and forth either doing co-op on the Xbox or PC much more conveniently than it works now sounds great! (Now, meaning. I've got a wireless and a wired controller. Plugging the wired into the 360 is easy enough, but then switching both to work on PC takes a fair amount of time. Just being able to plug them in sounds fantastic.).

I'd like to use the ds4 wireless on my computer but it doesn't have bluetooth on it, are there any cheap dongles you can get for it to work? My 360 pad works well but using that touchpad as a mouse is a major plus if I can get it working right.

KePoW

Banned
I have a wired 360 controller for my PC, which has been perfect and awesome the whole time. I'm down for a wired version of the XB1 controller.

I'm kind of meh about the whole situation myself. Benevolent neglect as opposed actively trying to push shoddy products upon us (GFWL) is ok by me. Is this thing really that much of an improvement over the 360.

That's a point what a lot of the posters complaining are missing imo. As great as the controller is, you most likely already own a 360 pad and that still holds it own against the X1/PS4 controllers. Still comfortable to hold, there aren't any PC games available that make use of the new pads respective added functionality, they are cheaper...I don't get the ball-busting that's going on.

HoosTrax

You can also use two fingers to scroll up and down like Macbooks.
How does the clicking part work? Do you double-tap the touchpad like on a laptop, or use the face or shoulder buttons?

The one thing that will bug the OCD part of me to no end are Sony's face button labels. Not really insurmountable though, as there's the option of buying a modded DS4 with blank face buttons.

edit: Here's the one I've got optioned out, that gets rid of the "Sony-ness"
YLTiNYr.png

jwk94

How does the clicking part work? Do you double-tap the touchpad like on a laptop, or use the face or shoulder buttons?

The one thing that will bug the OCD part of me to no end are Sony's face button labels. Not really insurmountable though, as there's the option of buying a modded DS4 with blank face buttons.

edit: Here's the one I've got optioned out, that gets rid of the "Sony-ness"

You can use the shoulder buttons or just click the left/right side of the touchpad.

Banned
There are so many 2D games on my PC I won't touch until I get a proper dPad controller like the Xbox one controller. I'll wait.

FLAguy954

Well the only good thing about that is that it might force Sony to release proper official drivers. Would be an easy PR win for them.

"Hey guys, you're one of the 6 millions people who owns a PS4? Great, now you have a great PC controller too! And at no extra cost!"

Not really, because legacy support will be missing, making it a worse choice than the Xbox 360 controller.

tkalamba

I say it is, much more responsive compared to a 360 controller. I tried to play with a 360 controller at my little brothers place and the controls felt really sluggish in comparison.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what? Why would you need more than one wireless dongle for multiple controllers?

Rising_Hei

didnt realize there was such a big controller contingent on pc. thought everyone just played every game on kbm :)

There are dozens of games in PC, even PC only that are much, much better with pad

KB+M is only better for a very specific kind of games

mr stroke

i was looking on google for a driver and i saw this
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hacker-gets-xbox-one-controller-working-on-pc
hmmm...interesting , wonder why the group didn't release it
then, i saw on other site a fan made driver , don't know if it work , i don't have the xbox one myself

edit :
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/he...ox-one-controller-working-on-pc/1100-6418283/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXHejtLeII

you should see this

interesting

Will give it a shot, thanks :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There are dozens of games in PC, even PC only that are much, much better with pad

KB+M is only better for a very specific kind of games

That... and before 360 pad there wasnt any damn standard pad beyond the gravis game pad. (that thing.... was awful)

So X1 pad is the spiritual successor to that standard.

hwalker84

I'd be interested to know what the hold up is, surely it can't be that difficult to get it working?

I'm going to guess that the way this controller logically operates is completely different and they're working on making it backwards compatible with the 360's input.

dsk1210

No more updates on the timeframe beyond what's been publicly stated - the plan is this year.

Yeah it must be hard getting that Microsoft product to work on a Microsoft operating system, why is it not out now?

Ubersnug

Will it possible for the XOne controllers to work via the wireless dongle we have for using our 360 pads wirelessly? Or is it a completely different wireless implementation?

Will it possible for the XOne controllers to work via the wireless dongle we have for using our 360 pads wirelessly? Or is it a completely different wireless implementation?

They're using a new implementation. Otherwise the Xbox One controller would work on the Xbox 360, too.

shandy706

Wireless support without additional hardware would make you guys heroes.

I hope it comes soon.

I don't think that's possible due to the controllers being direct-wifi based.

Unless it's software that lets you play through your PC's wifi setup. I'm not so sure that's a good (or the fastest) idea...or even possible??

Ogs

.... how difficult would it be to implement the ability to power on the PC through the Guide button on the controller ? I guess additional stuff on a PC motherboard would be needed ..... but what kind of stuff ? Would be boss if something like that could be implemented.

Mackins

I'm sorry, but... If Penello told me it was raining, I'd have to go check.

Any explanations on the power discrepancies you tried your hardest to downplay before launch Mr Penello? You said we'd see at launch?

Arkage

Banned
All this badmouthing is pretty ridiculous. An exec comes in to clairify a false rumor and half of Gaf dumps on him for even trying. Stop trying to wage your petty war of skepticism over a topic like this and just be happy that PC will be getting drivers.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
All this badmouthing is pretty ridiculous. An exec comes in to clairify a false rumor and half of Gaf dumps on him for even trying. Stop trying to wage your petty war of skepticism over a topic like this and just be happy that PC will be getting drivers.

Yeah, it's just terrible how people hold somebody's past history of repeatedly lying against him when he comes and provides absolutely no details but says no really, the news that's bad for his company isn't true. Double secret pinky swear.

pooptest

Been playing on DS controllers for better part of two decades, doesn't bother me

You can also use two fingers to scroll up and down like Macbooks.

Whaaaaat, foreal? That's awesome. Did the guy who made this only code it for the input parts and the touchpad features are natively like this or is it something he made?
I know he's using modified source code for the DS3 Input Wrapper so not sure if it's something Sony did and it's naturally like that or if it's something he was able to add.

Saikyo

Penello said wrong information in the past, its not without a reason...

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member

Will Microsoft release the drivers/software for the "wired' Xbox One when it's ready or will they wait until a wireless option is ready as well? I only ask because I would rather have the option to use the controller sooner than later and, honestly, wireless isn't a huge concern for me (though I will likely buy any dongle/adapter/etc when it's released due to the convenience factor).

Rich!

No interest in the xbox one whatsoever, but I'd buy a whole set of xbone controllers instantly without question if they had native xinput support.

Top Bottom