• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

Facism

All this badmouthing is pretty ridiculous. An exec comes in to clairify a false rumor and half of Gaf dumps on him for even trying. Stop trying to wage your petty war of skepticism over a topic like this and just be happy that PC will be getting drivers.

there's a story out there about a boy who cried wolf.

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member
Are people aware of this?

Play with your Xbox One controller on PC. Requires Play and Charge Kit.

I know those aren't the official drivers, but you might want to give it a try, if you really want to play with your Xbox One controller on PC.

Sorry, if old. :/

Edit: Nevermind. It's on the same page. :lol

It's nice to have the option but if it's as reliable as the third party solutions for the DS3 (which so far hasn't been the case in my experience...) then I'll just continue waiting for official support.

Cyriades

Its obvious if MS wanted the Xbox one gamepad on PC drivers would have been already release. They are planning something... come on, we're talking controller drivers

original

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member
Its obvious if MS wanted the Xbox one gamepad on PC drivers would have been already release. They are planning something... come on, we're talking controller drivers

It is kind of weird considering the initial showing of Xbox One games were running on PCs to being with...

I'm okay with waiting as long as MS allows us to use the controllers as either wired OR wireless without having to buy one or the other.

SlickVic

Are people aware of this?

Play with your Xbox One controller on PC. Requires Play and Charge Kit.

I know those aren't the official drivers, but you might want to give it a try, if you really want to play with your Xbox One controller on PC.

Sorry, if old. :/

Edit: Nevermind. It's on the same page. :lol

For those interested, the original creator has updated this to the point of it not needing any extra peripherals (at least from what I can tell). There's an installer and the xinput folder files need to be placed in the same folder as the game exe to work, but that's supposedly all it takes now. More instructions and file download info can be found here (also refer to the 2.0 version video for what to do with the XINPUT folder).

Judging from the Youtube comments, seems quite a few people are having trouble with them though, so I'm not really sure how well they actually work. Still nice to see someone trying to get this controller working on the PC.

Chettlar

Banned
For those interested, the original creator has updated this to the point of it not needing any extra peripherals (at least from what I can tell). There's an installer and the xinput folder files need to be placed in the same folder as the game exe to work, but that's supposedly all it takes now. More instructions and file download info can be found here (also refer to the 2.0 version video for what to do with the XINPUT folder).

Judging from the Youtube comments, seems quite a few people are having trouble with them though, so I'm not really sure how well they actually work. Still nice to see someone trying to get this controller working on the PC.

We really shouldn't be needing third party stuff, though. MS really needs to just get on this.

SlickVic

We really shouldn't be needing third party stuff, though. MS really needs to just get on this.

Absolutely. But who knows when Microsoft will actually get around to it. We got a vague "sometime in 2014" statement last summer from them, and now in mid-April, we still don't have the faintest idea whether that means next weeks (unlikely) or the last week of December. And that's if it doesn't quietly get delayed to 2015.
In the mean time, if someone can make 3rd party drivers that accomplish the same thing with minimal fuss, I'll take it. My wired 360 controller is starting to show its age, and I'd love the excuse to buy an XONE controller to replace it.

Radec

All this badmouthing is pretty ridiculous. An exec comes in to clairify a false rumor and half of Gaf dumps on him for even trying. Stop trying to wage your petty war of skepticism over a topic like this and just be happy that PC will be getting drivers.

Im guessing you are not around when that exec was active here at gaf last year.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've been rocking my DS4 on my pc for a while now and it's recently got me thinking, why is the xbox one controller for pc taking so long?

The original xbox 360 wireless receiver was announced at E3 2006 which was 6 & 1/2 months after the 360 was released in 2005 so it would make sense for Microsoft to announce pc support for the xbox one controller at this years E3.

I have an idea/prediction which I think Microsoft should do or might already have planned:

- At this years E3 Microsoft announces a new xbox one controller receiver for pc and a new xbox one controller bundle for pc which includes the controller and the receiver

- The xbox one controller for pc is backwards compatible with all current and past xinput supported games

- Microsoft announces a new free update for windows 8.1 which includes an updated version of the xinput api that will allow pc developers to access the new features of the xbox one controller (e.g, rumble triggers)

- Along with the update to windows 8.1 comes a new UI for the xbox one controller which is very similar to the xbox one UI, this new UI can be accessed by pressing the guide button on the controller even while playing a game (similar to steam's big picture mode) this will allow you to launch your pc games, listen to your music while in a game, chat with your friends through xbox live (even if they're on their xbox one or 360) and share game footage with your friends

Microsoft could market this as bringing the pc and xbox's digital ecosystems together. I believe this might be why Microsoft has waited to announce pc support for the xbox one controller.

So, what do you think?

Shin-Ra

- Along with the update to windows 8.1 comes a new UI for the xbox one controller which is very similar to the xbox one UI, this new UI can be accessed by pressing the guide button on the controller even while playing a game (similar to steam's big picture mode) this will allow you to launch your pc games, listen to your music while in a game, chat with your friends through xbox live (even if they're on their xbox one or 360) and share game footage with your friends

Microsoft could market this as bringing the pc and xbox's digital ecosystems together. I believe this might be why Microsoft has waited to announce pc support for the xbox one controller.

So, what do you think?
You're making the assumption Microsoft wants to bring the console experience to Windows, competently.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've been rocking my DS4 on my pc for a while now and it's recently got me thinking, why is the xbox one controller for pc taking so long?

The original xbox 360 wireless receiver was announced at E3 2006 which was 6 & 1/2 months after the 360 was released in 2005 so it would make sense for Microsoft to announce pc support for the xbox one controller at this years E3.

I have an idea/prediction which I think Microsoft should do or might already have planned:

- At this years E3 Microsoft announces a new xbox one controller receiver for pc and a new xbox one controller bundle for pc which includes the controller and the receiver

- The xbox one controller for pc is backwards compatible with all current and past xinput supported games

- Microsoft announces a new free update for windows 8.1 which includes an updated version of the xinput api that will allow pc developers to access the new features of the xbox one controller (e.g, rumble triggers)

So, what do you think?
sounds like a good idea. hope it happens.

You're making the assumption Microsoft wants to bring the console experience to Windows, competently.

Well Microsoft did bring the tablet experience to windows in a big way wether people wanted it or not and considering that Steam OS and big picture mode are becoming more and more popular I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft wanted to bring the console experience to windows.

sounds like a good idea. hope it happens.

Thanks, me too. Now that phil spencer is the head of the xbox division hopefully he could influence Microsoft into bringing something like this to windows.

Nzyme32

My money is on the PC version being announced and available at around the same time steam bring out their controller. A typical and playful way to attack any momentum the competition generates.

iceatcs

My money is on the PC version being announced and available at around the same time steam bring out their controller. A typical and playful way to attack any momentum the competition generates.
That's what I'm thinking too. They wait for Stream controller pad ready.

I hope it comes sooner rather than later. I would like to pick one up to replace an aging wired 360 controller. I would grab a DS4 but I do want the button prompts to match up. I know its silly but still

We haven't heard anything from Penello in a long time. He used to pop up in interviews/articles not so long ago.

Maybe it's part of Microsoft's PR plan. Only fully briefed/approved people can talk openly now.

louiedog

When the Surface was announced I expected Microsoft to put a 360 controller receiver in it, but they went the other way and released Spartan Ops without gamepad support. I still think it would be cool if they did that with the Xbox One controller and the Surface 3, but if they have any sort of strategy with their games on PC, other than to keep releasing their non-system sellers on Steam, I don't know what it is.

Phil's been talking up their reinvigorated PC support but we can't get a controller driver after 5 months? My 360 controller's thumbstick covers are falling off here breh.

LAA

Yeah I'm getting pretty impatient for the X1 PC drivers too... I saw the new X1 driver lucas made, but it still requires replacing files, which I don't want to do at all.

I would hope for news at E3, but not sure mentioning PC drivers for X1 controllers is really worth talking about at E3...

Cyriades

Yeah I'm getting pretty impatient for the X1 PC drivers too... I saw the new X1 driver lucas made, but it still requires replacing files, which I don't want to do at all.

I would hope for news at E3, but not sure mentioning PC drivers for X1 controllers is really worth talking about at E3...

The article looks true more and more.. This Albert Penello cannot be trusted.

This thread bump made me remember that I'm still waiting for Valve to release their controller.

That thing is going to take forever to come out too, isn't it? :(
WIll probably release day one with the X1 controller drivers, lol.

iceatcs

This thread bump made me remember that I'm still waiting for Valve to release their controller.

That thing is going to take forever to come out too, isn't it? :(
WIll probably release day one with the X1 controller drivers, lol.

yeah same with SteamOS, I'm wondering when it will be ready or beta for long term?

I forgot it coming from Valve - so it will be very while.

So I want to try this out. Do I need anything besides the Xbox One controller to get this working for on my PC? I also have the wireless usb dongle for the x360 controller.

BigDug13

So I want to try this out. Do I need anything besides the Xbox One controller to get this working for on my PC? I also have the wireless usb dongle for the x360 controller.

Unlike the 360 controller, I'm pretty sure the XBO controller works as a wired controller when connected via USB. Therefore there is no dongle. It's just a "wired required" PC controller.

That for me makes it an inferior controller to my wireless 360 with dongle.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Unlike the 360 controller, I'm pretty sure the XBO controller works as a wired controller when connected via USB. Therefore there is no dongle. It's just a "wired required" PC controller.

That for me makes it an inferior controller to my wireless 360 with dongle.

Hopefully they make a dongle. #TEAMDONGLE

dtg

Neo Member
I kind of imagine that having XBO controller support on PC might cannibalize their console audience a little bit. They're probably waiting for more sales.

I find this move irrational.

If people buy a DS4 for the PC, than they are going to gravitate towards the PS4. Nobody is going to be buying the Xbox One controller for the PC if it doesn't work.... I myself would like the option, and feel wronged.

EvB

I kind of imagine that having XBO controller support on PC might cannibalize their console audience a little bit. They're probably waiting for more sales.

They probably just have engineers working on more important things like the actual console OS.

It could also be that it's going to be included in some kind of larger update for perhaps Windows 8.1 update 2.

I find this move irrational.

If people buy a DS4 for the PC, than they are going to gravitate towards the PS4. Nobody is going to be buying the Xbox One controller for the PC if it doesn't work.... I myself would like the option, and feel like I was lied too.

The DS4 never works properly on my PC or my Mac. It's fine on Steam but my games never recognize the buttons properly

It's simple:

1. 360 controller becomes the de facto PC controller
2. Observing this, MS hopes to do the same with the X1 controller but profit from it
3. MS withholds drivers while they come up with a way to charge (for drivers, for PC-specific X1 controllers, etc)
4. MS fails to realize that #1 only occurred because it "just worked" with the controllers you already had
5. Gamers continue to use 360 pads for PC, or DS4 takes over
6. MS feels sad inside

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I can't imagine "I'd like to game on the PC, but there's no X1 controller support" being the rationale of, well, anybody. The largely-similar X360 controller has been officially supported for years (not to mention the numerous third-party variations thereof) and the likes of the DS4 and Wii U Pro are adequately supported by community-created drivers.

Cyriades

Neither do I.. if we end up do getting drivers will the missing files cause problems?

I wish. Love the DS4. Will never happen. Devs will never support it by putting in the correct button mappings, especially since Sony isn't officially supporting it on PC.

It is plug and play on the PC already and any dev can natively support it right now, and a few already have including games like ACIV and FFXIV.

Lazaro

We could possibly see official drivers arriving in August bundled with the new Windows 8.1 Update: The Return of the Start Menu.
CUE STAR WARS OPENING THEME

It should sort of make sense, Microsoft could possibly release new official information during E3 and even show-off its support on Windows 8 powered PCs, Tablets and Phones.

Naturally theirs also Windows 7 support.

LAA

Neither do I.. if we end up do getting drivers will the missing files cause problems?

Well if I did it, I'd make a back up folder for the dlls, replace the new dlls with the original ones again when the official X1 drivers are out. Still quite a pain, it'd be so much better if it was like DS4tool which doesnt seem to replace files.

On another point, have the drivers released got rumble triggers working yet?

Update to the latest beta, check "Hide DS4". This has been as consistent for me as an actual 360 pad except it also doubles as a pointing device.

The trackpad, once you find a good sensitivity, is what makes it the best pad for PC gaming. Any little menu that might require mouse input is no longer an issue. I can play games with token controller support like Euro Truck Simulator 2 from the couch with no fuss.

Hence few people talking about the homebrew XB1 controller attempts. DS4 already won.

I'll check it out, thanks

HiResDes

I just got two Xbox One controllers from the Cowboom sale and I have to say that the only thing that feels like a big upgrade is the decent d-pad and slightly more ergonomic size..The bumpers and thumbsticks definitely feel just as good or better on the 360 pad. And now I have to wait for an indefinite time to ever use the controllers since I don't actually have a One.

Seanspeed

Banned
I just got two Xbox One controllers from the Cowboom sale and I have to say that the only thing that feels like a big upgrade is the decent d-pad and slightly more ergonomic size..The bumpers and thumbsticks definitely feel just as good or better on the 360 pad.
Yea, the 360 controller definitely had less room for improvement than the DS3 did.

Which is why I don't see the need for a big push for PC drivers, when the 360 controller is nearly as good still.

Top Bottom