• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

I wish we could collectively apologize as a gaming community, for being such assholes to these people

I feel sad every time I hear from these folks, because I think about what they've been through and what trivial bullshit it was for

I wish we could collectively apologize as a gaming community, for being such assholes to these people

I feel sad every time I hear from these folks, because I think about what they've been through and what trivial bullshit it was for

I get what your saying. but them being through alot doesn't make the game fun or worth buying.

Really must install this on my Pro and give it another go, with all the new updates. Still got it on my PS4 but not really played it since I got my Pro.

BSpot

Of the personal opinion that the ARG might have made more of this than it ended up being but I will wait and see. Could be decent now...

SoulUnison

Banned
So are these updates going to lead up to any sort of multiplayer, or will "See what bases others have built" be the extent of player mingling?
Also, did they ever fix how the game apparently dumps player-generated content like named planets every once in a while?

Sorry, I haven't really kept up on this title since its release, but I have my eye on it to grab during a sale if it ever gets a bit more interactive.

enemy2k

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.
I'm not seeing what about this ARG would cost fortunes to run?

TissueBox

Let's go Sean and co..!!

♪ ♫ We say goodbye, you say hello ♫ ♪

(Might dig into this eventually. Hoping the patch has some good treats..!)

Pygrus

Man, I was really hoping they would add more things to the generation and overall improve the generation to create more cohesive planets.

I'm mainly interested in updated terrain generation. Hopefully that comes with this, or they do an update focusing on that in the future.

It's also worth mentioning that they started their own publishing company, Hello Labs: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/03/no-mans-sky-developer-announces-funding-initiative-hello-labs

Seems like they're putting money they made from NMS into helping other devs make their dreams a reality, which is very cool of them.

Is the wildlife generator still shit? I stopped playing when I realized it was nothing like the trailers and all the animal pieces started repeating almost immediately.

This is a game I really wanted to love. I'm haven't tried the new updates, so hopefully this will do it for me. Anyone know what day this week it drops?

This is a game I really wanted to love. I'm haven't tried the new updates, so hopefully this will do it for me. Anyone know what day this week it drops?

I'm guessing Thursday since that's a common day for things on PSN. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are usually the only days.

RedSwirl

Popped back into it for a minute. Honestly my main problems are still with planet generation, the general distribution of "stuff" being really unbalanced, and the structure of solar systems. I feel like those are things that would require a total re-roll of the seeds which would essentially mean new save files, so that's tricky.

I actually still think NMS could have used a tad bit more science in how it handles planets and systems. Not to be realistic, but just to utilize some scientific things to make more interesting places. I wish there was at least a sense of why each planet is the way it is, because right now it seems less procedural and more random.

Still, I need to keep investigating the basic gameplay loop to see how well that works. I haven't checked back in on Elite Dangerous in a while either.

Yukinari

I mean im glad theyre finally giving players what they should have gotten but i dont think this will spring a ton of life into the game.

Some good games coming out this month so i have to pass.

Vanille

Sounds pretty underwhelming after such a huge build up. They need to completely overhaul the terrain generation and implement actual functioning solar systems. That's the only thing that would bring me back.

RedSwirl

This game would benefit so much by having even some rudimentary systems in place, working and giving you fair rewards. But that's what it needs the most - simulated systems, emergent gameplay, that sense of mystery and exploration.

Now, "improving the central story" might actually mean plenty of things, like actually adding or fleshing out existing systems so that the "central story" revolves around new/better ways of making money, doing missions, having greater/any impact on NPCs/factions and having better tools for exploration, all for the purpose of doing whatever is necessary to finish this new questline. How it's worded though, sounds like it might be much more similar to the "builders questlines", which is probably more realistic (and disappointing). One thing to add to that though is that I don't really think we'll just get a new rudimentary story without adding some new gameplay elements, because the two previous updates took a few months as well and added a bunch of other content as well, so there's something to be hopeful in there.

Same thing with the portals, the wording in the email sounds like they're just the teleporters we have on space stations, but on ground, which is beyond pointless. So at the very least I'm sure we'll get a way of learning the new glyphs/language, and then having at least some other purpose for activating those portals apart from a quick travel reason which, again, is completely pointless, because traveling to anywhere in this game has almost no incentive, because anywhere is just like anywhere else and there's almost no uniqueness to planets (in terms of gameplay incentives).

This used to be so much worse before the big patches, because I could basically upgrade a third of my suit's slots, learn maybe a tenth of a language and get a pretty considerable chunk of blueprints on a single planet. And the most drastic changes they've done to alleviate that problem is to drastically reduce the occurrence of those elements, so basically making it more grindy by relying on randomization even more.

Anyway, I'm sure there's more good stuff in the patch, and it's commendable that they've been supporting the game for free for a year now, but I can't imagine them doing it for free for much longer, because whatever the public may think of them, they're still game developers bleeding money. And if they keep adding more filler material (with some neat cool stuff inbetween) without fundamentally improving the core systems, I can't really see people giving them money for any larger future updates either (not to mention the whole public image thing either).

I'm sure I'll play through whatever they've added in this update, but I'm not hoping for too much. At least I'll either be alright with whatever's in there, or be pleasantly surprised if there are fundamental gameplay improvements.

The bolded first paragraph is really what I wanted -- a more palpable sense of causality not only in what happened to players, but also in the planets and systems. Right now it just feels random.

As for the other stuff, I guess that's determined by the gameplay focus Hello Games is taking. I have a similar issue with where Frontier is going with Elite Dangerous. Hello Games seems to mostly be developing NMS into a survival game with space ships, which is admittedly what a lot of people want. ED has mostly become a co-op combat game with a few other paths bolted on. Star Citizen, if it ever comes out seems to be mostly trying to be a sort of space combat MMO. I just wanted a systemic space exploration game.

Popped back into it for a minute. Honestly my main problems are still with planet generation, the general distribution of "stuff" being really unbalanced, and the structure of solar systems. I feel like those are things that would require a total re-roll of the seeds which would essentially mean new save files, so that's tricky.

They've changed the planet generation algorithms before without forcing people to make new saves, so it's possible.

Pygrus

It's important to keep in mind that full patch notes and features usually go up right before the update hits.

I feel like they would have included a bit about this if they were going to be adding in anything significant. Still going to check it out, but it's hard to get excited about anything regarding this game.

mokeyjoe

From a business point of view I find it interesting they're still supporting this game, both in updates and that mad ARG that must have cost a fucking fortune to run. It must have legs to some degree but their reputation is so tarnished that surely post launch sales haven't been great.

Basically, where is the return for Hello Games here? I mean it's obviously good that they're supporting the game but just don't see how it makes sense.

Well based on what they said at GDC, they're basically pitching themselves as developers and consultants for proc gen tech. They are starting to publish games from other indies which use such technology and offering assistance to them. NMS is basically a testbed and billboard for their tech and expertise I think.

DrBo42

Updates are cool but the mass market has moved on and all but the most loyal of fans aren't giving these guys the time of day anymore. I expected all this at launch with some form of asymmetric multiplayer.

The real truth here is the ARG was cooler than anything No Man's Sky contains or will ever contain.

They should quit what they are doing and go into ARG development cause they're much better at it...

Another company did the ARG.

I feel like they would have included a bit about this if they were going to be adding in anything significant. Still going to check it out, but it's hard to get excited about anything regarding this game.

Each update has included more animal/building parts but they have not called them out in the patch notes in the past. So those things are likely to be there.

I think they're intentionally being vague here, as they've already confirmed more than just portals and story including new ships and a new race.

Epcott

I guess the main item I initially bought the game for will never happen... multiplayer. I may give it a shot next week.

Instro

Well for 1 they probably want to make a new game at some point, so their reputation needs to be built back up. For 2, should they want to attempt a true paid expansion, or paid DLC, they need players back in the game, and happy with what the team has been doing.

I loved the base game , I've still yet to reach the centre after 40+ hours .

I'm intrigued by the portals , I hope it's abit like stargate letting you travel to random worlds . The only thing I think it needed more of is better combat and more things to shoot.

might consider starting over if the story improvements are good

CuNi

Thats like apologizing at a later date to VW for the Volkswagen emissions scandal.

Looking forward to see the patch later this week .

This game's good , despite the flaws and it will be improved , just like the last 2 big patch did.
There are still some mistakes to correct , but they took a good game yet flawed and did great things with it.

At some point, I hope Sony gives the game away one month with Playstation Plus. I really think after the 3rd or 4th update, it might go over well and the word of mouth might erase some negative perceptions of the game.

1.3 - Atlas Rises

Portals work, New Race w/ lore tibits, New Ships

-I hope there's a tad bit more than just those 3 things.Hate to sound greedy, but Foundation and Pathfinder were pretty amazing updates.

1.3 doesn't sound that promising at the moment. But I shall wait until I see patch notes.

Doesn't sound like we'll be getting a trailer for this one though?

SirNinja

1.3 - Atlas Rises

Portals work, New Race w/ lore tibits, New Ships

-I hope there's a tad bit more than just those 3 things.Hate to sound greedy, but Foundation and Pathfinder were pretty amazing updates.

Oh, there's definitely far more than that. You don't do a costly ARG for several months just for an update containing only what's been teased so far.

Top Bottom