• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

DrKelpo

Banned
a friendly reminder for the european people looking to give the game a(nother) try

the game is on sale at the moment, it's 14,49€ in Germany without PS+.

gossi

You will experience the new things fine on your current save.

Yes, everything works on current save. You even keep bases etc (it says in the patch note).

Since the main story is completely redone with branching paths, some players may want to start again.

Slayven

Finally ship summoning. I know they said they took it out because they wanted people to explorer, but honestly It made me leave the planets quicker

Lagunamov

I bought it yesterday on the humble bundle store for almost 20 bucks. I didn't know about this update and its a very pleasant surprise for me, I put only 2 hours in, but Im gonna restart my save with this update.

daxy

Yes, everything works on current save. You even keep bases etc (it says in the patch note).

Since the main story is completely redone with branching paths, some players may want to start again.

Glad to hear it. I don't believe I ever started the story in my 50 hour playtime anyway since I never met those two aliens (Nadia and Pollo?) that kick-start it.

theWB27

I'm digging the update, but sean stated binary stars and star typed, orbiting planets... basically if you've seen it science it'll be here.

It's been my number 1 hope for this update.... but i will not complain about what we have. Looks significant and i feel pretty confident those times will eventually make. Cannot wait for the update to drop.

Not Drake

Insane update. Good for Hello Games. They already have my money as I bought the game on PS4 and ended up ultimately disappointed, but I'm willing to give it another try.

Widge

Yep. Why they called this "version 1.3" I don't know. Well, I guess they were tired of the backlashes.

I think because Version 2.0 will cost £$£$, and that this patch has been given a significant amount of push to act as punctuation for the free release stuff.

Personally, I think they are at a point where costed DLC is fine but even looking inside this thread, I would see that being a delicate thing to ask for.

FyreWulff

So, in joint exploration the other people are these blue orbs thing? weird

DG8VI3CXoAAD_Sp.jpg:large

EDIT

Fable 2 and 3 used this method, everyone else on Live showed up as orbs in the game world.

Moreche

I hope everyone enjoys the update and I'm glad they're adding features but these patch notes still don't put them anywhere near the type of game that was described and hyped pre release. I hope everyone enjoys the game but let's not forget history
Jesus Christ!

Necro900

Holy shit, that's a lot of stuff! Can't wait for the patch to drop.

I sank in over 40 hours on vanilla, and just jumped around in 1.2. Would I be better off restarting the game? As far as I know some things are harder to come by in recent patches and progress is slower in general, so I'm still deciding on trashing all my gear

Also, I wonder if these 16 player rooms require PSPlus, but I'm guessing they do since we're looking at synchronous multiplayer.

I hope everyone enjoys the update and I'm glad they're adding features but these patch notes still don't put them anywhere near the type of game that was described and hyped pre release. I hope everyone enjoys the game but let's not forget history

Gotta have one of these posts in every nms thread

All I can say is...glad I skipped this game at launch! For around a tenner I am going to snap this up asap. Sounds like an amazing update that will finally make this a great game rather than just a good one for my tastes.

Alienous

Good on them.

It seems they've managed to redeem the entire No Man's Sky saga, and I'm glad for it. They could have tried to do all of this in a sequel, and they didn't.

It feels like they've finished their game, finally.

Widge

I just looked at the old old "this is missing from NMS" chatter and it looks like it is all there bar for stuff that was eventually ditched for gameplay perspective reasons (i.e. moving planets, star to star flight), which seems fair enough.

Seiniyta

I think because Version 2.0 will cost £$£$, and that this patch has been given a significant amount of push to act as punctuation for the free release stuff.

Personally, I think they are at a point where costed DLC is fine but even looking inside this thread, I would see that being a delicate thing to ask for.

Before release they likened their support for the game like Minecraft where it would get continued free updates through it's life as long as they can afford it. I'm sure eventually there will be some paid content in some capacity but that might be years away.

SomTervo

I just looked at the old old "this is missing from NMS" chatter and it looks like it is all there bar for stuff that was eventually ditched for gameplay perspective reasons (i.e. moving planets, star to star flight), which seems fair enough.

Oh yeah, good point that's not there.

But yep, they're on record saying it's not there because it confused and irritated players (turns out your plannet spinning away from your ultimate destination is annoying AF).

daxy

But yep, they're on record saying it's not there because it confused and irritated players (turns out your plannet spinning away from your ultimate destination is annoying AF).

Does Elite Dangerous have planetary rotation?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

photo.jpg

Bombless

Oh but don't worry, I'm sure the pitfork wielding masses will find new excuses to whine and vomit all over Hello Games.

gossi

nms_atlas_hg_det_017.jpg

Re this image - they have a note on their website saying you need to use the Terrain Editor attachment to DIG OUT the space station to get the loot. Haha.

nms_atlas_hg_det_017.jpg

Re this image - they have a note on their website saying you need to use the Terrain Editor attachment to DIG OUT the space station to get the loot. Haha.
Hmm with the co-op, i wonder if each person making changes to the terrain will be taken into account?

That way if you find a crashed freighter you could summon your 15 friends to go dig it out and loot it for treasure.

Either way they have a lot of potential for future updates.

Dredd97

nms_atlas_hg_det_017.jpg

I hope your spacecraft can carry your vehicles ala Elite Dangerous, because that would be cool :)

Reminds me of Ultima Online
An artificial life engine was supposed to be implemented into the game. A preview announced that ecological events in the game would affect animal behavior, potentially creating new adventure possibilities in an organic manner. However, this feature never made it beyond the game's beta stage. Richard Garriott explained:

"We thought it was fantastic. We'd spent an enormous amount of time and effort on it. But what happened was all the players went in and just killed everything; so fast that the game couldn't spawn them fast enough to make the simulation even begin. And so, this thing that we'd spent all this time on, literally no-one ever noticed – ever – and we eventually just ripped it out of the game, you know, with some sadness."

I wonder how people would react to that today (ie a big ambitious feature mentioned in previews that is scrapped before release)

yeah i noticed that too. pretty cool.

i'm actually more curious to see what it means for mining.... maybe, deeper or bigger underground deposits?

at the very least, now I'll be able to deform the ground to give my Exocraft laser LOS to underground Elerium deposits lol

Loudninja

In the Atlas Rises story, the fabric of existence is starting
to falter.

A mysterious new interdimensional race have appeared.
Glitches are causing ancient portals to activate.

Our story brings a new context, quest system and branching narrative to No Man's Sky.
30 hours of new story content.

Double the lore and interactions of the existing game.

Discover the truth behind the Abandoned Building logs, the World of Glass, the Sentinels, the Redemption of the Gek, and the meaning of sixteen

gossi

"Discover the truth behind the Abandoned Building logs, the World of Glass, the Sentinels, the Redemption of the Gek, and the meaning of sixteen"

Woah.

MattAces

Oh but don't worry, I'm sure the pitfork wielding masses will find new excuses to whine and vomit all over Hello Games.

Where the hell is the promised sword combat and the card game.

Very impressive! I suppose it'd be smart to restart the game? Or is it even mandatory?

I would say just restart it. I assume there should be new storyline stuff in the beginning to kickstart the 30 hours story.

Top Bottom