• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

gossi

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5328iuzHw-w

Out now on PC and PS4.

The most important thing :)P) is FOV can now be adjusted on Playstation.

Also, you know, 30 hours of new story content, missions, voice over IP etc.

giphy.gif

QRBgiUT.png

MissionBoard_2.jpg

68747470733a2f2f6e6d7377702e617a757265656467652e6e65742f77702d636f6e74656e742f7468656d65732f6e6f6d616e73736b792f696d672f2f6261636b67726f756e642d696d616765732f6e6d735f61746c61735f68675f6465745f3030392d313434302e6a7067

68747470733a2f2f6e6d7377702e617a757265656467652e6e65742f77702d636f6e74656e742f7468656d65732f6e6f6d616e73736b792f696d672f2f6261636b67726f756e642d696d616765732f6e6d735f61746c61735f68675f6465745f3035372d313932302e6a7067

68747470733a2f2f6e6d7377702e617a757265656467652e6e65742f77702d636f6e74656e742f7468656d65732f6e6f6d616e73736b792f696d672f2f6261636b67726f756e642d696d616765732f6e6d735f61746c61735f68675f6465745f3035322d313434302e6a7067

68747470733a2f2f6e6d7377702e617a757265656467652e6e65742f77702d636f6e74656e742f7468656d65732f6e6f6d616e73736b792f696d672f2f6261636b67726f756e642d696d616765732f6e6d735f61746c61735f68675f6465745f3034382d313434302e6a7067

Patchnotes

PATCH NOTES

GENERATION

• Increased variety in weather, planet and structure names
  • More base building parts have unique names
  • Prevented trees spawning on sheer cliffs
  • Improved object placement on slopes
  • Improved grass placement and density
  • Changed the default starting ship model
  • Regenerated galaxy to remove differences between survival, normal and creative game modes
  • Improved building distribution
  • Increased distribution of heridium deposits
  • Improved generation of beaches along shorelines
  • Repositioned player bases to accommodate generation changes

EXPLORATION
  • Improved balance of hazards between planets
  • Improved settings for hazard damage and strength
  • Reduce cave hazard recharge times
  • Added Shielding Shard to the starting player inventory
  • Limited the depth at which buildings can spawn underwater

GAMEPLAY
  • More tech available in tech shops
  • Balanced tech shop standing requirements
  • Standing lights have a proper name when you interact with them
  • Increased robustness of systems for locating buildings
  • Increased number and types of objects which can be scanned
  • Increased information available about scanned foliage and creatures
  • Improved planet resource lists
  • Craftable products now sorted by most recent use
  • Improved differentiation of weapons
  • Fixed pinning product recipes and technology guides
  • Continued story unlocked through abandoned buildings
  • Added interactions and dialogue options for many structures and characters
  • Overhauled secondary character interactions

TRADE AND FARMING
  • Alloys, farm products and new gas products now form separate branches of a larger craft tree
  • Added new valuable higher tier craft products
  • Added new harvester to harvest atmospheric gases
  • Added new trade specific products
  • Added new farmable ”Star Bramble" plant
  • Added larger 4 plant hydroponic tray
  • Increased contrast between picked and unpicked resource plants to more easily tell them apart
  • Balanced priced of alloys, farm products and gases
  • Improved distributions of resources on planets
  • Improved scan ranges for resources on planets
  • Added scan markers on more smaller plutonium crystals to aid resource gathering

FREIGHTERS
  • Balanced freighter prices
  • Fixed collision on freighter bridge
  • Added freighter classes
  • Added ability to warp in your freighter
  • Fixed floating turrets on capital freighters

SPACE
  • Improved space heavy air
  • Added requirement to scan planets in order to reveal their names
  • Improved planet name display as you enter orbit
  • Fix for massive carve radius when mining asteroids

GALACTIC MAP
  • Updated galactic map UI
  • Improved galactic map controls
  • Improved star names gathered in galaxy map flythrough
  • Improved distribution of different coloured stars
  • Added interstellar scan events

STARSHIPS
  • Added ability to summon your ship from the quick menu
  • Refined ship reticules
  • Added new holographic cockpit HUD elements: mini map, pulse drive warning and target ship
  • Added new ship technology
  • Balanced space combat
  • Balanced ship weapons and technology
  • Updated ship weapon projectile effects
  • Updated ship hit direction markers
  • Improved flare graphics on ships
  • Improved loot containers dropped by AI ships
  • Improved effects on damaged AI ships
  • Balanced crashed ships broken slots and repair costs
  • Added a more convenient swap inventory button for moving items between new/crashed ships and storage units
  • Updated design of Atlas pass icons
  • Added ability to look around the cockpit when landed
  • Allowed player to remain in ship cockpit after landing
  • Improved spawning and distribution of AI ships
  • Improved ship altimeter
  • Added in-ship communicator
  • Added button prompt for ship zoom
  • Fixed a bug where your ship could become invisible by visiting the galactic map
  • Improved Pirate systems including the ability to negotiate or call in support
  • Added low flight mode
  • Improved landing code

UI
  • Divided options menu into several pages
  • Revised Journey page
  • New Gek, Korvax and Vy'keen medals
  • New medals for the merchant, mercenary and explorer guilds
  • Revised log page
  • Fixed animation on markers as they are removed
  • Improved binocular UI
  • Updated journey milestone icons
  • Overhauled discovery log
  • Added cardinal directions to compass
  • Added distance markers to compass
  • Fix for ”redeem content" showing twice on Steam menu
  • New trade and product icons
  • Revised combat ship markers
  • Improved ship tracking arrows when flying away from targets
  • Overhauled conversation interface

GRAPHICS
  • Improved HBAO filtering around edges
  • Improved TAA handling of grass blade edges
  • Introduced depth of field effect during interactions
  • Added LOD meshes and imposters to various props
  • Fixed texturing on the buildable door
  • Reduced HBAO shimmer
  • Reduced shadow acne
  • Fixed artifacts with imposter shadows
  • Improved double-sided normals for foliage
  • Improved terrain texturing and texture blending
  • Improved grass colour blending and integration with terrain
  • Improved grass and leaf materials
  • Improved colour palettes across several biomes
  • Improved planet night skies
  • Fixed z-fighting on small glowing plants
  • Various graphics optimisations and fixes
  • Visual improvements to Atlas stations
  • Replaced all terrain textures with higher detail and quality variants
  • Added new higher detail foliage variants to several biomes
  • Upgraded textures on several cave props

AUDIO
  • Four new sets of soundscapes by 65 Days of Static
  • Reworked space combat audio
  • Reworked space explosions
  • Added new ship weapon sounds
  • Added weird biome soundscape
  • Added new music and sound effects for story mode
  • Lots of new UI sounds
  • Minor mix changes and optimisations

LANGUAGE
  • Various minor language fixes and improvements

SomTervo

Barebones OP!

Thumbnail key details:

- "lite multiplayer" - Joint Exploration - up to 16 people as 'orb ghosts' that have proxy chat and can explore
- over 30 hours of story content on a streamlined "main quest"
- LOW FLYING FOR EXPLORATION AND COMBAT
- galaxy now has wealth, conflict and resource attributes throughout
- procedurally generated quests to incentivise you to travel to other systems and explore
- can now manipulate terrain around your base - terraform and horticulture
- new ship types
- dogfighting control and AI improvements
- call your ship from anywhere
- portals throughout the universe can take you to co-ordinates/points of interest - has a glyph language that players will have to uncover themselves (Stargate much?)

giphy.gif

MissionBoard_2.jpg

AtlasRises_MP-nored_min.mp4

Loudninja

• Discover and scavenge lost cargo from gigantic crashed Freighters on planetary surfaces.
  • Use the terrain manipulator to excavate buried resources in the region.
  • Complete Salvage missions for Guild rewards.

• Visit the new Mission Agent in Space Stations to pick up unique and rewarding new tasks.
  • Missions are constantly generated, and cater to all play styles (scanning, trading, combat and exploration).
  • New NPC guilds have been introduced, each with standing and objectives.
  • Build your standing with numerous NPC guilds and unlock more difficult, more rewarding missions.

Hey look. Sean Murray wasn't scamming people after all. Looks like they just had to release the game in the state it was in out of necessity.

Anyway, good on them for making good on their promise. Might jump in again.

I am so glad I have stuck with the game until now, especially with the amazing ARG they recently had.

Well done Hello Games. Well fucking done.

I've put maybe 20 or 30 hours into the game on normal, but have not played for nearly a year. Should I just restart to enjoy the update properly?

MattAces

Playstation 4 players can now adjust their field of view via the options menu.

I know it has been posted, but this deserve more mention.

Loudninja

A number of improvements have been made to space flight and combat.
Enemy artificial intelligence has been overhauled, and new difficulties have been added.
Ship manoeuvrability has been improved, bringing more skill to dog-fighting.
Devastating rockets have been added to all ship types, and can be upgraded for even greater firepower.

A new HUD has been introduced to improve the experience of space combat. This includes a communicator, which can be used to advance mission steps, or even to hail pirates before they attack.

SomTervo

I am in the same position and I will restart.

I've put maybe 20 or 30 hours into the game on normal, but have not played for nearly a year. Should I just restart to enjoy the update properly?

You pretty much have to restart after the last patch or two. They've reset the world generation, added whole new features, etc. It'll probably force you to start again, or at least say "you can continue but everything will be different".

gossi

When does this actually drop?

They said they would post patch notes "shortly" before the update.

SteamDB has been updated ready for patch rolling as the trailer was posted.

Next PSN update, as I understand it, is 3.30pm UK time, with is 4 hours from this post.

bbalde

Best day of the week. Aced a project I was working on for weeks now, and this... Good thing it's raining the weekend.I bought this because I saw it cheap on PS Winter sales. Just to try it out and understand the bashing. Had no clue this update was in the pipes.

Any idea of the size of the update ?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You have to give them credit for turning the launch situation around. I hope that people sticking with all the updates now have the experience they hoped they would have at launch. Impressive patch notes.

13ruce

Banned
Seems the game is now alot like what they promised originally and it seems the first step for multiplayer is here.

Insane patch notes/update. This will change the game in a very good way and those missions/story give people who like purpose something to do.

Giving my props and i officialy apologize to Hello Games for being negative about em in the past.

One of the best bad game to good game turnarounds and post game support i have ever seen they could have run away with the money but did not. Or charge for these updates.

Jobbs

Banned
Hey look. Sean Murray wasn't scamming people after all. Looks like they just had to release the game in the state it was in out of necessity.

Anyway, good on them for making good on their promise. Might jump in again.

I hope everyone enjoys the update and I'm glad they're adding features but these patch notes still don't put them anywhere near the type of game that was described and hyped pre release. I hope everyone enjoys the game but let's not forget history

Vlodril

i would like some info on the joint exploration. how do you find your friends can you start at the same place? also why the hell are they using globes? can't they put in a basic avatar? the globes thing is weird, what happens when you go to space are they still globes around you?

Card Boy

Banned
Good job by Hello Games. They have certainly turned the game around, sure it shouldn't have launched the way it did but with each major patch they are drastically improving the game.

Added ability to look around the cockpit when landed
Allowed player to remain in ship cockpit after landing

Good.

Very surprised by the update, but I still can't believe manufacturing facilities don't manufacture stuff?

Feel it's a non-brainer to have those churn out products when you input resources.

Been reading the patch notes for 5 minutes now, it's pretty crazy how many things appear to be changed and added, really looking forward to the patch.

13ruce

Banned
i would like some info on the joint exploration. how do you find your friends can you start at the same place? also why the hell are they using globes? can't they put in a basic avatar? the globes thing is weird, what happens when you go to space are they still globes around you?

It's a limited first step to co-op multiplayer, so it seems like they are planning on going for full multiplayer next. (or well being able to do it easier)

PepperedHam

I really liked playing No Man's Sky so I'm very happy to go back to it. I meant to hop in during the previous updates but for a similar reason I stopped to begin with I've just had way too much to play.

Getting to hop back in with all three updates to dig into is going to be a great time. Absolutely starting from scratch, mostly because I have no idea what I was even in the middle of last time I played. Seems fitting with all of the new additions to the story and game balancing that I nuke my save.

Very excited to play this.

I hope everyone enjoys the update and I'm glad they're adding features but these patch notes still don't put them anywhere near the type of game that was described and hyped pre release. I hope everyone enjoys the game but let's not forget history
What of significance is left? Multiplayer was never said to be any more than what will now be in the game, what were the other unresolved things?

FelipeMGM

So, in joint exploration the other people are these blue orbs thing? weird

DG8VI3CXoAAD_Sp.jpg:large

EDIT

They added these notes to the website. It's 16 player Co-Op:

Glitches in the simulation have begun to appear.
Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.
While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.

They say it's a first step for coop so it will probably get more fleshed out (with player models) later.

re: players regenerated + "Repositioned player bases to accommodate generation changes"

.....wonder how my home base and home planet look like now :O kinda scared

re: "Regenerated galaxy to remove differences between survival, normal and creative game modes"

Also not sure what these means in terms of planets being visually regenerated.

gossi

So, in joint exploration the other people are these blue orbs thing? weird

DG8VI3CXoAAD_Sp.jpg:large

They added these notes to the website. It's 16 player Co-Op:

Glitches in the simulation have begun to appear.
Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.
While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.

SomTervo

They said they would post patch notes "shortly" before the update.

SteamDB has been updated ready for patch rolling as the trailer was posted.

Next PSN update, as I understand it, is 3.30pm UK time, with is 4 hours from this post.

Perfect. Should be back in the house and finishing up work by then.

yissss

edgefusion

FOV ADJUSTMENT FOR PS4!? OH MY GOD. This is the only thing I wanted! I can finally play again without getting a headache. \o/

Snoopycat

Banned
Ok. I wasn't at all happy with the game at launch but enough time has passed and I'm willing to give it another shot. Hopefully it will be much improved.

Top Bottom