• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

danowat

Banned
hmmm 40-100h i somehow thought it would be longer, so that is doable for some hardcore gamers in one week just focusing on this main "goal"

Would you not be missing the point of the game if you just focused on rushing to the centre of the universe / galaxy as fast as possible?

Surely the game is about the journey rather than the destination?

Kiko

Would you not be missing the point of the game if you just focused on rushing to the centre of the universe / galaxy as fast as possible?

Yeah yeah absolutely, Wasn't speaking for myself, I will probably need months to do it. But in terms of "center spoilers" if it really is estimated to take 40-100h we can be sure to see some spoilers very soon as copies are in the wild.

CSJ

hmmm 40-100h i somehow thought it would be longer, so that is doable for some hardcore gamers in one week just focusing on this main "goal"

Someone will create a hack to travel fast in a day and figure it out, still gotta watch those spoilers though :p

danowat

Banned
Yeah yeah absolutely, Wasn't speaking for myself, I will probably need months to do it. But in terms of "center spoilers" if it really is estimated to take 40-100h we can be sure to see some spoilers very soon as copies are in the wild.

Wouldn't it be a pisser for those that rush to the centre to find that there is actually nothing of importance there!

OuterLimits

I would agree, but I'm sure at least some out there are rushing to the center hoping to be one of the first to reach it. Which is why I think a good possibility exists that it will be leaked within the next week.

Granted, we aren't sure how many have been able to get early copies.

Matt Frost

Oh thanks, for some reason I thought fuel was finite.

I didnt know either that until yesterday, thanks to this thread. best place to look for new details on NMS without doubt...

Also, the regular trusters are very slow and with that only, will take forever to reach the center of the universe. So we will have to farm resorces to fuel the hyperdrive... I need this game

Nice read to fuel the hype even more... like I needed that xD

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-03-no-mans-sky-questions-answered?utm_source=eurogamer&utm_medium=in-article-promo&utm_campaign=No+Man%27s+Sky+explained

Muzicfreq

Banned
m5ovdadhssk6.gif

OH MY GOD ITS REAL

feeling like this while waiting for the 9th

Necro900

Math. Yes. Math is a thing that is calculated.

When a player is in a system, the math dictates what is in that system (same math for every player). But only WHEN they are in that system. When they leave, every single bit of that system gets flushed from memory, only to be remade the next time that player, or any other player, re-enters that system. The orbits, rotations, ship paths, and everything else are all calculated based on when the player visits that system.

There are 18 Quintillion planets in NMS, but only the planets that people have visited will be recorded in the Atlas, and only the ones that currently have a player near them will actually "exist". Nothing is "running" when no one is there. It's all calculated on the fly, in real time, the same for every player, because every game shares the same seed values for every procedural system.

I recall Sean saying in an interview that whenever far from a planet, the creatures would continue walking/eating/living as if you were there. So, if you happened to return to that planet, you wouldn't find them in the same spot.

So the generation happens according to where you're standing, but there's definitely some other factor involved (probably when you're standing, based on that planet's "hour zero"?) in order to get that effect of continuity.

OmegaDL50

Wonder what he means by "don't expect mind blowing graphics out of the box"? Does the game start out ugly and gradually gets prettier? lol

No it means the game while is artistically nice looking. It's not going to ever be a technical pretty game along the lines of something like Uncharted 4.

It's because of this game is less demanding on the GPU side of things and is a more CPU heavy sort of game shows promise with the frame rate.

Just because NMS is an "open world" game, people assume it have the same performance as something like The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4.

How the world is generated in No Man's Sky however is not the same (There are no prebaked assets or large texture files requiring load), so in terms of world generation and performance, one should look at other procedurally generated games as a reference point for performance.

Elite Dangerous on XB1 for example has a variable framerate (60FPS in the arena, and 30FPS when in Exploration Mode), Minecraft is also 60FPS on the PS4) as an example.

People might scoff at the Minecraft comparisons, but remember in regards to the world and terrain generation, NMS is doing similar things that Minecraft does, but on a substantially bigger scale.

Sean Murray said each planet is a large voxel cube with a mesh applied that gives it the appearance of a "Sphere"

The world of NMS is being made up of Voxels as opposed to other games which have sizable polygon assets, textures, and shaders applied over top. It's one of those games which the artwork and aesthetic pulls off the look visually and not because of fancy graphics tricks.

I took don't expect amazing graphics out the box as the player started on some dark bland area/planet and didn't get to the colorful stuff straight away. Could be different for everyone though. What is it targeting on PS4 30fps I assume?

Fuser

Do we know if stores in the UK have copies yet? Might try the local indie but don't want to go there too soon and end up being the guy who returns every day asking the same question!

I recall Sean saying in an interview that whenever far from a planet, the creatures would continue walking/eating/living as if you were there. So, if you happened to return to that planet, you wouldn't find them in the same spot.

So the generation happens according to where you're standing, but there's definitely some other factor involved (probably when you're standing, based on that planet's "hour zero"?) in order to get that effect of continuity.

Yes - your "location" is a 4D point in both space and time, just like real life (ignoring quantum stuff that might imply there are really 8-22 dimensions).

There were some good posts earlier about how this time is measured, for it to be consistent for all players then it would need to be measured against a global server clock...however in the game you can "sleep" in front of monuments which speeds time forwards locally just for you.

Maybe time is always measured locally but sync'd when/if two players merge on one location (it just picks one person's time as the "true" time)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It would be really nice if when you scanned for the first time you only get those question marks, then on reaching one of them it changes to what it actually is for future scans.

Nice! Yours is in a cardboard box, mine (from GAME UK) came in a raggy plastic sleeve that was a nightmare to open and really sticky on the inside of the film.

The actual faceplate was in a plastic sleeve? Strange that they would change packaging. Mine was from Amazon.

Yours looks good on the ps4 though looking forward to putting it on when I get home!

Matt Frost

A week? I am a hardcore gamer, but will probably take more than that since finding new imprints to craft or buy better equipment is a must as well, as being a space pirate, naming stuff.... Rushing to the center will be more for other types of gamers, hardcore plays a lot and want to discover much more than casuals, for example...

Dredd97

It could take 10 to 1000 hours to reach the centre... i don't care.. even when I (eventually) get there I'm still going to be playing this one for years...it's going to be my go to game for chilling and zoning out...

hurry up and launch already!! :)

Kiko

A week? I am a hardcore gamer, but will probably take more than that since finding new imprints to craft or buy better equipment is a must as well, as being a space pirate, naming stuff.... Rushing to the center will be more for other types of gamers, hardcore plays a lot and want to discover much more than casuals, for example...

Well you know, there is always these people which are not doing it for the fun but just to achieve the "goal", whether it is to reach the center or not.

I know people that play games for 10-12h straight every day, and by my comment I meant these type of people. So if you really wanna be the "first" and there will most likely be a race regarding that, to the center, it seems doable in 7 days each 10-12h shifts.

Not talking about enthusiast (hardcore) gamers which will spend a lot of time just playing the game as it should be, having fun in exploring and all that stuff. Also not talking about myself, I will need months or so because I have job+family ;D

Danlord

The actual faceplate was in a plastic sleeve? Strange that they would change packaging. Mine was from Amazon.

Yours looks good on the ps4 though looking forward to putting it on when I get home!

No I got the same plastic see-through box that the faceplate was in, it was what that was transported in is where I got the silly bag and you got the regular cardboard from Amazon.

Lemondish

It's a game that focuses on emergent gameplay, which means that to those players, rushing to the centre as fast as possible is the point of the game.

It's out a fortnight today, isn't it? I just went into GAME and found out I had £41 credit with them, so I will probably pay the rest and get it from there.

an unopened game
downloadimage.raw

Looks like two actually, and if I'm not mistaken the one on the right is Gravity Rush Remastered. Owning that game and not having played it has just been declared a war crime by the UN.

daveo42

Banned
Catching up on the insanity that is someone actually playing the game early and giving out impressions. All of it sounds great. Now I need to know when that embargo lifts from sites so I can determine how much of their comments come from playing the game and how much is just based on their own speculation.

Ooooh xD yeah I haven't gotten round to playing it yet. Yes one is gravity rush and the other is edler scrolls online.

What are you doing you madman? Go play GR! You have time.

Saiyan-Rox

Catching up on the insanity that is someone actually playing the game early and giving out impressions. All of it sounds great. Now I need to know when that embargo lifts from sites so I can determine how much of their comments come from playing the game and how much is just based on their own speculation.

What are you doing you madman? Go play GR! You have time.

I've played it on the Vita when it came out I just grabbed a new PS4 copy for £5 a bit back and never actually opened it xD

Trust me i've bought more expensive games and never played them....I'm getting gamers block more and more as the years go on and have a hard time even finishing games now but I still buy em.

I remember it took me 6 months to bother my ass opening ME3 after buying it at launch.

EDIT: also just a thing you can fly the ship yourself right it's not on rails?

sirap

Sean estimated 40-100 hours but I'm willing to bet with some luck and the sole goal of reaching the centre first, people will do it in 20-30 hours. Those same people, at least some, would think nothing of playing that many hours straight.

From here on in I suggest everyone be careful of center spoilers.

Are trainers still a thing? If so, someone will probably release one that gives you unlimited hyperdrive or something and spoil the centre within the first week of release.

LogicStep

I just finished listening to the audio version of Ready Player One that I grabbed with my free token from my free audible trial (thanks Amazon!). This game while not the same, seems like an evolution that could bring us closer to something like the oasis. Obviously this game is like pong compared to the oasis in RPO but the excitement of the unknown and having a shared universe with millions (hopefully!) of other players that I will never see due to the vast nature of the universe is what really excites me. I can't wait for this!
Man.. when we finally have the equivalent of the oasis that's when we will have made it. I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Sanjuro

I'm still curious how often you run into other non-AI characters in this game on a regular basis. From my understanding, you could play this game for a long period of time and never encounter anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom