• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still curious how often you run into other non-AI characters in this game on a regular basis. From my understanding, you could play this game for a long period of time and never encounter anyone.

You will not encounter anyone. Also I dont even know if you could if you wanted to.

Draper

sQjdKR.gif

What the fuck is happening here?

ironcreed

Banned
Yep, I never expected any real multiplayer and don't want it. This is about our own personal experience exploring a universe, yet we can still share what we discover and name so others can visit as well. I would not have it any other way.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Someone who saw more of the stream I caught. No spoilers:

It was like six minutes and he went through his inventory, showed the controller layout, it was nighttime and windy didn't see any combat or any other life forms...the planet was lush with vegetation and it had a lot of iron deposits...he had an objective on the lower right hand of the screen there were like mountain cliffs he was trying walk up...

I don't remember the controls but I know what his objective was he had to find silicate to replenish his fuel tanks to get his ship working there was iron all over the place and he did the scan and a blue resource icon showed up in his fov that said resources and he was trying to get there but he barely did anything cause by the time he went through his inventory showing off that screen and his controls layout he didn't play very much he got banned so quick

Mathieran

Banned
Torn on watching the stream. Maybe if other people post impressions that will be good enough for me. I've just been completely losing patience the last few days knowing how close we are.

I'm still curious how often you run into other non-AI characters in this game on a regular basis. From my understanding, you could play this game for a long period of time and never encounter anyone.

It wont happen. Look at it that way.

You will not encounter anyone. Also I dont even know if you could if you wanted to.

I reckon you'll encounter people at the centre...there is only one after all...Sean has specifically described everyone having a small multiplayer lobby with them, that players can instance into if they are in the same physical location...a bit like Journey

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So the guy you're talking to is the guy that bought it for $2000?

If you check my post history, I was the one who originally posted that he got it from Operation Sports in here the second he posted it. Then Reddit caught wind (those silly lurkers), and it caught on like wildfire.

He is the one who got it off someone from craigslist for $150. He then put it on eBay for $2000, just to see, got a counter offer for $1250, eBay called both parties, and it was too good to pass up, so he FedEx'ed it right away for the purchaser in Cali I believe.

He also made a comment that he feels 'nauseous' because he is itching to play so bad, and wished he dove into it more and dropped it off in the morning instead of agreeing to do overnight shipping for 10:30am today. He is jonesin' to play and hopes to score another copy in the next few days.

This is what he PM'ed me on his 'graphics' comment, and my response.

CAMPBLACKMAMBA24 said:
Graphics were Last-Gen like. Nothing like say The Witcher 3 or Uncharted 4. You will hear the complaints trust me.

Couldn't tell as far as the fps.

Awesome thanks. Did not expect those types of graphics, obviously for something of this scope. This game will be about art direction more so, and the touches in weather effects, day/night cycles, etc..

From the videos I seen, I am very content, but I know what you mean about those who are expecting AAA service from a small dev team on such a ambitious type of game.

-----

My faceplate arrived! :)

(I don't usually have my PS4 stood up, but for the purpose of the pic I put it like that)

obligatory coverplate picture/post

Now just to wait 14 days to launch......

Nice, I ordered mine of the UK Amazon site, and having it shipped here to the States. $24 USD total with conversion and shipping. First faceplate I ever purchased, and worth it to me.

Why aren't they selling this in the US?

They are UK only. You can get it for about $24 total and Amazon will ship overseas.

Amazon UK NMS Faceplate

EDIT: (Seems to be sold out, luckily I got mine in, in time last night.)

Saiyan-Rox

If you check my post history, I was the one who originally posted that he got it from Operation Sports in here the second he posted it. Then Reddit caught wind (those silly lurkers), and it caught on like wildfire.

He is the one who got it off someone from craigslist for $150. He then put it on eBay for $2000, just to see, got a counter offer for $1250, eBay called both parties, and it was too good to pass up, so he FedEx'ed it right away for the purchaser in Cali I believe.

He also made a comment that he feels 'nauseous' because he is itching to play so bad, and wished he dove into it more and dropped it off in the morning instead of agreeing to do overnight shipping for 10:30am today. He is jonesin' to play and hopes to score another copy in the next few days.

Nice, I ordered mine of the UK Amazon site, and having it shipped here to the States. $24 USD total with conversion and shipping. First faceplate I ever purchased, and worth it to me.

They are UK only. You can get it for about $24 total and Amazon will ship overseas.

Amazon UK NMS Faceplate

This is what he PM'ed me on his 'graphics' comment, and my response.

I actually had no idea this was UK only :O that really sucks for you guys! I hate region specific stuff.

RangerX

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen such a hyped game with so many unanswered questions this close to release. Its pretty cool actually. How large are the actual planets themselves? Does it take long to walk around one completely

Machina

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen such a hyped game with so many unanswered questions this close to release. Its pretty cool actually. How large are the actual planets themselves? Does it take long to walk around one completely

I'm pretty sure circumnavigating a planet by foot would take 10's of hours, if not longer

Man.. when we finally have the equivalent of the oasis that's when we will have made it. I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Indeed! That story was really good and the idea of the Oasis was so amazing yet seems totally doable. In time...

Back on topic here, I really hope that this game lives up to it's potential. This may seem a bit hyperbolic but if it is successful in the mainstream it could usher in a transition in game design as big as the shift from 2D to 3D. I finally pre-ordered this last night and I am really feeling the itch now. :D

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I actually had no idea this was UK only :O that really sucks for you guys! I hate region specific stuff.

Same. I bit the bullet because it was only $24 USD total with shipping. For a nice looking LE item, I can't complain at all. They will probably go for much more in eBay, if they are not already.

HG should tell stores to start allowing preorder customers to pick up their copies on Monday. I can't wait 10 more days.

If only, lol. I need to pick up the Sony Gold's for more immersion for this.

Anyone know if that still is ultimately the best headset for the price on the PS4? I assume because of the headset app gaming pre-sets make a difference?

Memnoch

Yeah yeah absolutely, Wasn't speaking for myself, I will probably need months to do it. But in terms of "center spoilers" if it really is estimated to take 40-100h we can be sure to see some spoilers very soon as copies are in the wild.
Looking forward to taking my sweet time.

Does anyone have a good summary of how the player starts off in NMS? I remember an interview with Sean where he mentions you won't have a ship yet, or will need to gather resources to initially purchase one or power one up. The quick impressions we've heard confirm this, but does anyone else remember the details? This is one of the aspects I'm most excited about.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Does anyone have a good summary of how the player starts off in NMS? I remember an interview with Sean where he mentions you won't have a ship yet, or will need to gather resources to initially purchase one or power one up. The quick impressions we've heard confirm this, but does anyone else remember the details? This is one of the aspects I'm most excited about.

Please don't ask questions like that. Nothing personal but it's something most people will not want to know.

I usually lurk on Gaf and make comments here or there but I just wanted to mention something that could be useful. I used the app Hooks to set alerts on my phone if someone starts streaming NMS on Twitch. Not sure if you can do it for sites like dailymotion since I only started using it. It might be useful to some people in here.

Also thank you to the poster who got info from the guy who had the game yesterday. Stuff about performance and the initial planet doesn't bother me. I'm getting it on PC so the graphics thing is hopefully different with more options, but the art style will make it look good anywhere

If you don't have a ship, you probably start off on a planet with nothing and you have to wander around until you find a suit/gun/ship.

Seems the most plausible guess.

Nokterian

Just 2 more weeks...played a lot of games this year but this has me going in my dreams and during normal thoughts just fantasising flying through space and land on a undiscovered planet.

Discovering new plants,artifacts etc but also just stand on a planet and just enjoy the scenery i expect pretty cool screenshots in OT.

I will be streaming when it is out and i will take my time to just take it easy. Seeing from my pre order on steam i do get a ship to start my journey i do want to do that first..get in my ship and fly into space.

I dreamed of this as a kid..i will never go to ISS or even go to Mars for that matter, yes this is a game but for me it is something i have been looking forward to play..the transition from space to planet has not been done yet in a game. Yes star citizen is busy doing that also but it is all handcrafted planets this is procedural and you never know what you will see when you land on a new planet.

Please don't ask questions like that. Nothing personal but it's something most people will not want to know.
Sorry, I didnt know that was conisdered a spoiler because something along those lines was just mentioned through the early impressions. In any case, I will probably be able replicate that experience by getting purposefully lost on a planet.

I bet it'll end up where you start on a planet with a broken ship and have to get resources to fix it. Seems like an easy way to teach people how to use resources, inventory and objectives

If you preorder on Steam you get a ship. I wonder if you have to go through some intro period where you learn the mechanics, and then you just have that ship? Or will it be there from minute one?

OmegaDL50

I bet it'll end up where you start on a planet with a broken ship and have to get resources to fix it. Seems like an easy way to teach people how to use resources, inventory and objectives

Sounds similar to the starting quest line of Starbound in that you needed to gather materials to fix your ship to enable both interplanetary travel and warping.

It's not a bad premise and works well. I'm okay with this.

Spounds like the most likely scenario. If that's the case, there must be a variable switched on to label a planet as a 'starter' to make sure it's seeded with enough resources to get this accomplished.

legacyzero

Banned
Ugh, I forget some of you fucks use NeoGAF's light theme instead of the clearly better Dark Theme. I have to make sure the |OT| is the optimal experience on both. Goddmamn you all. :p

That said, I'm just gonna sit here blasting Super Moon on repeat while working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom