• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

legacyzero

Banned
Editing- Cleaning up and fixing the series of events.

Series of events broken down by Sirian Gaming (Very thorough)
Sequence 1 & 2
Potential No Man's Sky connection (Before it was obvious)
Sequence 1 Solutions
Sequence 2 solutions
Sequence 3 Solutions and Tape 9/16, proving the No Man's Sky connection (if it wasn't already obvious)
Sequence 6 and The solution
No Man's Sky update 1.3 talk
Elizabeth Leighton's live message talking about Atlas Pass 4

I did a quick bullet point for a TLDR, but if you want details and step by step happenings, Watch Sirian's stuff^
What is Waking Titan

For those looking to jump in finally, or havn't played since launch, here are the two updates that have hit since launch

FOUNDATION: https://www.nomanssky.com/foundation-update/
Base building
Creative Mode
Survival mode
Owning and building bases in freighters
New resources
Streamlined UI
Item stacking
Graphics and bells n wistles upgrade
Refreshed universe with improved procedural tech.

PATH FINDER: https://www.nomanssky.com/pathfinder-update/
3 new ground vehicles
PS4 Pro patch, graphics upgrades, unlocked framerate with PS4jr, and 1800p on Pro mode
HDR mode
Base sharing (If somebody finds your base, they will see what you built
Own multiple ships
Ship classes
New shops and traders
Multi-tool classes
Permadeath mode
Weapon modes
Photo mode
QOL improvements
Skipping milestones, and slow letterbox junk

SPECULATION for the Titan update
Working portals (Found in Waking Titan)
Galaxy refresh and further procedural generations improvements (Sean and Innes McKindrick at GDC, talking massive proc gen improvements)
"Old Build Test" might mean that the original cut content could be making it's way into the game finally (Steam Database)
Fourth race (Assets in Path Finder, Lore hints in Waking Titan)
Combat improvements (Assets found in the Path Finder Update)
Galaxy Center (Hinted at in the Waking Titan survey with a certain question: "Do you feel you have a responsibility to travel to the singularity?")
A fleshed out villain (The malevolent force? Hinted at in Waking Titan)
Rogue Planets (Hinted at for the start of Waking Titan. "Far Flung Worlds" was mentioned on the back of the poster sent in the packages to the Reddit mods)
A story. Waking Titan and all of it's surrounding sites heavily hints at events prior to the current No Man's Sky setting, leading to the creation of the Atlas.
Multiplayer. Today, it was announced that "10,000 Atlas Pass lvl 4" will be delivered to 10,000 people randomly (who are signed up at WT). This is speculated to be beta keys to NMS Online's "Benchmark test" ("Benchmarks" is direct quote from Waking Titan)

vivekTO

Isn't it time for the Next Update or it will be Next month?? u know Every third month they are doing Major Updates.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
When it's sent by the guys who make the game to the people that run the reddit about the game, I don't think that's an ARG anymore, I think that's just marketing.

Still: I haven't picked up NMS yet and I'm vaguely interested, maybe whatever this adds will get me to buy it.

Memnoch

Well I hope the next update brings something to lure me back. I haven't played since the first week of release. I was so disappointed.

Assanova

I hated this game when it first came out, but I've oddly started playing it again. Absolutely loving it now and I can't explain why.

daveo42

Banned
If it's anything actually big, then they'll either add in portal jumping from the strange structures you can find on most planets or update stuff related to making it to the center of the universe and the subsequent
universe generation

Hoooo weeee this is exciting. I love when companies do this sort of thing, especially when it's revolving around a massive space exploration game. Hype!

Feels like a weird way to promote a new feature/content update for your game, given that the single biggest issue people had with the initial launch was that Hello Games made vague but grandiose promises and failed to satisfy the high expectations those promises generated. What is an ARG except one giant tease of a monumental update that the real thing almost certainly won't live up to?

And I say this as someone who thought the initial campaign against Hello Games was far too aggressive and obsessive.

NMS needed that extra year in the oven- both for the sake of the game & for HELLO's reputation. The updates have been very good and I hope they keep coming as I kept my copy, but yeah... been a tough road for them.
Looking forward to see what this turns up.

13ruce

Banned
Got the game for cheap if they add another major update i will try it 3 seems always to be the good number so after 3 major updates i am in.

I love how your description reads like in-game text. I love the actual writing in NMS, even though it's not a story per say.

Hopefully they have more content planned. The updates have seemed good so far, and staying off the radar was a good decision. If they have another big content drop I may have to pick up the game.

Feels like a weird way to promote a new feature/content update for your game, given that the single biggest issue people had with the initial launch was that Hello Games made vague but grandiose promises and failed to satisfy the high expectations those promises generated. What is an ARG except one giant tease of a monumental update that the real thing almost certainly won't live up to?

And I say this as someone who thought the initial campaign against Hello Games was far too aggressive and obsessive.

It's no different than the Elite Dangerous ARG.

The questline for the vehicles in the last update made it seem like there might be a new race or at least a major narrative plotline coming. My guess is this ARG is related to that and we're going to see something big on the narrative front this time.

Chev

How can anyone get excited for a Hello Games anything anymore?
It may seem weird if you only followed overblown reports about outraged reactions but there are people who like the game for what it is rather than hating it for what it never was.

ChouGoku

Believe
maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom