• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky info from Game Informer

Amir0x

Banned
this sounds fucking incredible

going into random portal doors with no clue what's on other side

*EXCITEMENT*

Every solar system is inhabited by vendors and police robots? I dunno, the chance of getting stranded in the galactic boonies was a big draw for me. Oh well.

Yeah, that's probably the most disappointing bit of news so far. Was hoping for some truly uninhabited systems or systems where explorers met their untimely end and you end up scavenging their ships, resources, etc.

Like you find a planet, begin exploring and you suddenly come across a half buried ship you can scavenge, read/listen to logs and generally get a feel for how alone and empty some systems are.

So are their NPCs and dialogue in the game?

It sounds way less abstract then I originally thought. Also, more mechanics heavy. I'm more excited, but I still dunno wtf this is.

It sounds like such a shift from the original pitch :(

They introduced it as a peaceful exploration game in the first interviews, but now it sounds like a Destiny or Halo wannabe.

they're saying robots in the planets attack you if you're being a complete jackass to the planet. Ships attack you if you're being a jackass in space. In fact from the description you can still play as a peaceful exploration game. They're adding the option for action oriented folks to have a good time too

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sounds interesting but it's still something I need to dig into myself and see if all the pieces work together. I don't like the sound of every planet having guard robots at all, though.

Feep

Banned
I guess I can just bust out Mumble with my friends, but...eh. I don't think this is comparable to Journey in that regard.

Still hyped. Those gifs o_O

orava

Sounds interesting but it's still something I need to dig into myself and see if all the pieces work together. I don't like the sound of every planet having guard robots at all, though.

Well you have to have something to do. Getting into all planets very easily can get boring.

Wasp

If this game lived up to its full potential it could be the next Minecraft. If the execution is as good as its ideas.

Unfortunately I think that's hugely unlikely though. I fear it's too ambitious for its small team.

Also, I'd love for a AAA developer to have created this game with a AAA budget. No Man's Sky sounds awesome, in theory at least, but I'm not a huge fan of the budget graphics.

Amir0x

Banned
Do you guys just not know what Star Citizen is or what the fuck are y'all talking about?

mainscreen1qtuyd.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
this sounds fucking incredible

going into random portal doors with no clue what's on other side

*EXCITEMENT*

Yep. Minecraft did that too. It's incredible when you use one, and you're suddenly placed in some hellish world.

FUCK I NEED THIS GAME.

Grief.exe

If this game lived up to its full potential it could be the next Minecraft. If the execution is as good as its ideas.

Unfortunately I think that's hugely unlikely though. I fear it's too ambitious for its small team.

Also, I'd love for a AAA developer to have created this game with a AAA budget. No Man's Sky sounds awesome, in theory at least, but I'm not a huge fan of the budget graphics.

First thing that comes to mind is check out Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

While a AAA developer would help the situation visually, it would be to the detriment of the overall design. With AAA budgets come focus groups and publishers who want to target the lowest common denominator in order to leverage maximum ROI.

If No Man's Sky was developed by say Activision or Ubisoft, I doubt it would have captured our attention in the way this game has.

Have they said if this is going to be retail, or a strictly downloadable game? Mind you, it doesn't matter either way. I'm not making any value judgments, I was just curious.

I saw on another forum where a guy was trying to put together an exploration team where they would share their findings with each other and help map out what they found.

Awesome. I have a feeling HG envisioned people collaborating in ways like this. Can't wait to see what places NMS GAF explores.

lordxar

Loved Journey so a gigantic universe of similar content sounds awesome. Sometimes it's nice to just kick back after a shitty workday and enjoy something vs battling against something. I'm really looking forward to this no matter what it turns out to be.

Do you guys just not know what Star Citizen is or what the fuck are y'all talking about?

I know about Star Citizen and I'm still way more interested in No Man's Sky. I want to see what they do with the procedural generation and how far they can take it. I like the fantastical look and easier accessibility.

Gaz_RB

This is the only part that concerns me. I was under the impression that these worlds are undiscovered. Having robots on all of them would feel a bit like they aren't as unknown....not to mention that they may provide unnecessarily difficult mining/exploration.
Yeah that part made me double take, and that seems really dumb if true. Maybe it's a mistake and they are actually only on certain planets.

bsod

Banned
If a map of the galaxy is includes isn't it possible to discuss with friends "I'm in X galaxy, X solar system"?

I don't think so. I remember reading that the galaxy in everyone's game is going to be different so the planets in your game aren't going to be in your friends.

I'll agree with the "Eww" sentiment regarding robots on every planet. That's a quick way to strip the universe of its "explore the unexplored" mystique. I really hope that's not true. I could understand certain planets having robot exploration and/or guard teams, but all of them?

Seanspeed

Banned
Did you know that we don't have a very good idea of what No Man's Sky will even be like, much less Star Citizen in its final release form? Actually, we probably know more about Star Citizen, but ignoring that....

I'm the last person that will begrudge a person their preference, but I feel like my comment created the urge for some to take sides. Funny how that works.

BusterJol

Giving me vibes of how Far Cry is for me. Loot around, harvest materials, get into some shit, go to another part of the map. Rinse and repeat. (all while barely doing main missions stuff) But space. Oh and randomly generated areas. Still sounds fun as hell though.

AngryMoth

I don't think so. I remember reading that the galaxy in everyone's game is going to be different so the planets in your game aren't going to be in your friends.
No that's not how it works. The content is generated randomly but it's the same for everyone.

DMiz

I was one of the few people who weren't really interested when No Man's Sky was first revealed - the concept was interesting, but thinking about it for a few minutes more had me questioning what we were really shown and whether or not that was interesting - and this more or less seems like a confirmation of my earlier 'fears' (if we can even call them that).

The game basically seems to lack purpose. I understand that the theme of the game is essentially to go on a space adventure and see crazy things, but when you recall the size of the team, and the fact that they were trying to make it seem like the game was procedurally generating several different types of creatures and AI (which started to smell suspiciously like feature creep), it seemed a bit out of their grasp.

Now it seems like someone higher up or even within the team basically realized that that idea was too 'soft' and they have to find some way to justify throwing in mechanics so that there's an actual game in there, as opposed to just going from planet to planet, seeing cool things and not doing much with them.

Hope it does turn out well, since the team received so much of a positive response when they revealed their project. Maybe further reveals and/or impressions from Gaffers will change my opinion.

mujun

This sounds great.

The robots on the planets protecting the wildlife sounds stupid, though.

Is there some in game lore that gives a reason for something as unrealistic as every single planet out of hundreds of thousands having park ranger robots on them?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well, somebody's managed to say something about No Man's Sky which makes me lose a lot of my interest in it. Had to happen eventually I guess.

bsod

Banned
No that's not how it works. The content is generated randomly but it's the same for everyone.

you're right. I just looked up that article. Is the galaxy instances based, do you know? As in, can people possible meet up on the same planet if they're lucky enough?

Rembrandt

Banned
Hype. This sounds great so far. I'm kinda upset there's no real co-op or multiplayer, but I can deal. Hope we see gameplay on Friday and extended gameplay, no short clips.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was one of the few people who weren't really interested when No Man's Sky was first revealed - the concept was interesting, but thinking about it for a few minutes more had me questioning what we were really shown and whether or not that was interesting - and this more or less seems like a confirmation of my earlier 'fears' (if we can even call them that).

The game basically seems to lack purpose. I understand that the theme of the game is essentially to go on a space adventure and see crazy things, but when you recall the size of the team, and the fact that they were trying to make it seem like the game was procedurally generating several different types of creatures and AI (which started to smell suspiciously like feature creep), it seemed a bit out of their grasp.

Now it seems like someone higher up or even within the team basically realized that that idea was too 'soft' and they have to find some way to justify throwing in mechanics so that there's an actual game in there, as opposed to just going from planet to planet, seeing cool things and not doing much with them.

Hope it does turn out well, since the team received so much of a positive response when they revealed their project. Maybe further reveals and/or impressions from Gaffers will change my opinion.
This seems like one of those games where explaining the concept in words will probably do the game very poor justice. Minecraft is comparable in that sense, as it sounds absolutely stupid and basic when spelled out to somebody, but so many people have been converted after actually sitting down with the game for a while.

Just sayin - its a good time to not judge a book by its cover. Maybe it will be too basic for its own good, but maybe it wont be and it proves to be one of the most intriguing titles of the generation?

Give it a chance.

I'll agree with the "Eww" sentiment regarding robots on every planet. That's a quick way to strip the universe of its "explore the unexplored" mystique. I really hope that's not true. I could understand certain planets having robot exploration and/or guard teams, but all of them?

This is what happens when people are like "lol walking simulator". It's the most worrying part for me as well.

Top Bottom