• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky info from Game Informer

This sounds great.

The robots on the planets protecting the wildlife sounds stupid, though.

Is there some in game lore that gives a reason for something as unrealistic as every single planet out of hundreds of thousands having park ranger robots on them?

Yes, they are called the malevolent force and seem to be around before anyone can remember. I will retread the article when I get to the hotel and clear anything up but that is what I remember reading.

Nzyme32

This is actually surprisingly disappointing to me.I'm hoping for a far more relaxed laid back experience to exploring the stars and planets and discovering lots of things, rather than veering into robots to fight territory. Still I'll definitely wait for more info, everything is still quite vague.

AngryMoth

you're right. I just looked up that article. Is the galaxy instances based, do you know? As in, can people possible meet up on the same planet if they're lucky enough?
No I'm confused about that too, phrasing in the OP isn't very clear. Actually since they say no voice chat that implies that you could meet other players (just not talk to them).

It sounds like such a shift from the original pitch :(

They introduced it as a peaceful exploration game in the first interviews, but now it sounds like a Destiny or Halo wannabe.

People were pissed at the idea of a "walking simulator".

There was combat in the original video and it had been said in interviews and features that the game wasn't an ambient exploration game. They aren't trying to placate the Is that all you do?! crowd.

And how anyone can read the opening post and think it's a Halo or Destiny clone is beyond me.

Mix

This KH3, FO4, and Halo 5 are my my anticipated of 2015, even though they're not all confirmed to release yet lol

Nzyme32

I think the less I know about this game going in, the better it will be.

I generally like to do the same with these kind of games but I still like to have a very basic pretence to the game. Right now even that is a bit too vague for me, so more info is useful

Leb

Map shows the entire galaxy, different zoom level lets you see stars up close. Stars have a color that indicate the kind of resources they may have. You can scan their solar systems to see if there is a space station or a planet with points of interest, if it is previously explored you will see exactly what is on the planet.

Do we have any idea how this works with respect to finding paths between solar systems/galaxies/etc? Like, there's still a big "fog of war" for the whole undiscovered universe, right?

Every solar systems has a trading post or space station where you can cash this stuff in. The trading post is on the planet so you don't have to jump to space every time you want to cash in. Each post will have ships coming in and generally active. You can view ships you would like to buy, see upgrades ect.

Is this an accurate account of what appears in GI? Cause this sounds almost antithetical to the original pitch, nearly as much as...

Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched. So the more you get resources or kill alien animals the more these things will come at you. They will come in teams, flank, etc. tougher ones will appear close to the center of the galaxy.

...what? I thought the whole draw was exploring a vast, untouched universe -- now there are robots on every single planet? I feel like this almost has to be a misinterpretation or something, cause, what? No.

I mean, I guess I've been pretty skeptical about this game given how vague they've been and, you know, the limits of procedural generation, but I'm pretty sure I like these details even less. I think part of it is that I've been burned by Wright and Molyneux too many times.

HanselBot

Banned
This is actually surprisingly disappointing to me.I'm hoping for a far more relaxed laid back experience to exploring the stars and planets and discovering lots of things, rather than veering into robots to fight territory. Still I'll definitely wait for more info, everything is still quite vague.

Well it's ultimately up to you. If you go around attacking everything you see, then you'll be attacked in return.

If you go around exploring as you've suggested, you'll be left alone for the most part.

Play it how you want to play it :)

I'm ready to see more. It's good to finally know what the gameplay loop will be. New trailer & maybe release date this weekend?

As a game designer, I'm also really confused by their messaging... I just have no idea why they didn't mute all the people out there by showing a quick gameplay video.

And I really don't understand why people compare this game to Minecraft in the first place. Minecraft is all about building things and shaping the world that you're in - That's the draw. That's what people dig. It's LEGO. The entire world is made out of blocks and I can change EVERYTHING. On top of that, it has really deep mechanics, the crafting, etc.

This game seems to have nothing to do with Minecraft. I think it'll end up feeling much more like Proteus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnRX2np2HQ) and I don't know if people will be too excited about that.

I know how much of a pain it is to craft a world where every few steps there's something interesting for the player to do. Minecraft actually does do that - Ever Meter in the game is a different block. And I can interact with it. There are tons of blocks and they all do different things and stand for different things. Usually, when there's just walking, the gameplay will VERY QUICKLY just get tiring, even if you have great controls, etc. - the fun in games lies in the interaction with the world. And we haven't really seen anything yet in regards to real gameplay when it comes to NMS.

Now, this might sound very skeptical, but I am actually really looking forward to it. But as a gamer, I'm frustrated that they're not showing the gameplay, cause maybe they'd get some feedback from players and could still course correct a little. But I do think they kinda pulled a bit of a Molyneux without realizing it - People will now have insane expectations and I doubt they can fulfill them.

HanselBot

Banned
Is this an accurate account of what appears in GI? Cause this sounds almost antithetical to the original pitch, nearly as much as...

...what? I thought the whole draw was exploring a vast, untouched universe -- now there are robots on every single planet? I feel like this almost has to be a misinterpretation or something, cause, what? No.

I mean, I guess I've been pretty skeptical about this game given how vague they've been and, you know, the limits of procedural generation, but I'm pretty sure I like these details even less. I think part of it is that I've been burned by Wright and Molyneux too many times.

There's a similar post to this on reddit, but they don't mention robots on EVERY planet, just on some. I suspect it's just a case of skimming over the article quickly. It'll get cleared up soon no doubt.

http://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/2o721q/game_informer_new_information_list/

Vespene

I generally like to do the same with these kind of games but I still like to have a very basic pretence to the game. Right now even that is a bit too vague for me, so more info is useful

I bought GTA III thinking it was a racing game. Imagine my awe an hour into it.

RedSwirl

It seems like a lot of people here just aren't familiar with the concept of space sandbox games. Most of what we're seeing from No Man's Sky has been done before. It's only just recently being done again with this much publicity and with today's gaming technology.

Duxxy3

It just doesn't sound like something I would be interested in. Space exploration has never really done it for me.

It seems like a lot of people here just aren't familiar with the concept of space sandbox games. Most of what we're seeing from No Man's Sky has been done before. It's only just recently being done again with this much publicity and with today's gaming technology.
Examples?

There's a list posted on Reddit as well from someone else. There's some new info that wasn't posted in the OP.
http://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/2o721q/game_informer_new_information_list/
  • There's a wildly abstract intro sequence that sounds really cool.
  • Not all players start on equal terms. Some planets will be harsh, some will have rare resources.
  • First point of interest on your starting planet will be your ship
  • Galaxy map shows how many planets each star has, any special properties like extra resources. If online you'll learn additional things like if it's been discovered, what class of space station is there. Can zoom in further to examine planets individually. If it's been explored you'll see a run down of the points of interest.
  • Can see friends location on galaxy map.
  • In game messaging system has been teased.
  • If you fly past another player, you might never even know it's a real person
  • Money is called units
  • Everything earns money, like resources, exploration, combat.
  • Get resources with mining laser and grenades, and can only see resources in a special scanning mode.
  • Hyperdrive fuel and cargo space share the same storage
  • If you see a ship you like, you can follow it back to a station to buy it
  • Can land in docking bays in space station, and get out and browse tradable cargo or stroll down the line of ships to check out stats and prices
  • What you can buy depends on who is there. Could see a ship you like and want to buy that just flies off before you get a chance
  • Some space stations look like Death Star or Borg cube, and can be attacked. Can't be destroyed, but can damage them enough to lower their rating. No reward for doing so though, but you can be rewarded for attacking the police it sends out to attack you.
  • Upgrades to suit and weapon don't vanish on death
  • List of some possible upgrades: (I'll update this when I'm back at my laptop, there's a long list)
  • Malevolent force is a robotic army. They maintain the balance of the universe. If you are just strolling around, they will ignore you. But if you start killing creatures or carving out resources and they see this then they will attack. So far there's a bipedal version and quadruped version. These aren't procedural, so you can learn how to deal with them.
  • If you die in a ship, you basically just lose the ship and cargo, and have to save up for a new one before you can leave the current system. But you don't lose money or upgrades.
  • Current estimate to get to centre is 40-100 hours. The minimum being for people who go straight for it as fast and efficiently as possible. Hello Games can adjust this before release though
  • There'll be portals to different planets in alien temples (don't know how rare this might be). Can't take ship with, so need to gather what you can on other side and go back through portal.

So it sounds like it won't be too difficult to meet up with friends if you wanted to.

Edit: Beaten by HanselBot

Pachimari

I were of the impression that Sony came in and helped fund this game? If so, it would stay console exclusive to the PS4.

Or is my mind playing tricks with me?

Edit:
That summary above sounds much more enticing. Back to being hyped.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There's a list posted on Reddit as well from someone else. There's some new info that wasn't posted in the OP.

hE89yAK.gif

I hope you'll be able to buy stations or do something similar. It'd be nice to buy/build a station, upgrade it, and when people buy from it they'll know it's yours.

So it sounds like it won't be too difficult to meet up with friends if you wanted to.

Edit: Beaten by HanselBot

fucking awesome. Also with Party chat the game doesn't need a chat system. So hyped now. As to malevolent force we can assume they discovered everything before but never mapped it, and you are mapping and classifying it for united forces/humans.

pager99

Jeesh there's still ppl in this thread saying the games vague, how much more do you need to know ffs anyways the ambition of this game is awesome I hope they can pull it off

Pachimari

It sounds like there's now more interconnectivibility with other players than the OP implied. That we can actually see each other and bypass each other without even noticing is what I want more of. And that we can put friends on the map helps me feel that my friends are out there and that I'm not entirely alone in this galaxy.

Great stuff.

As much as I was looking forward to this game, I kinda had no idea how it would play out, but after reading OP it sounds absolutely perfect!! I love arcadey style games with randomized levels/enemies etc and heaps of loot!!

I find arcadey games are always really fun to play and with small upgrades (loot) and always new stuff to see (randomization) i'm as happy as can be with almost any game. Lately some of my fave games have been Diablo 3, The Binding of Isaac and Monster Hunter because all these games incorporate all or most of these aspects to some degree. I know Monster Hunter doesn't really have random levels etc but the monster's behaviours are random enough to keep it interesting.

I have a feeling this format will be very popular moving forward as it allows so much replayability and fun with basic concepts.

No Man's Sky has just become my most anticipated game!! What is the planned release date on this?

kyser73

As a game designer, I'm also really confused by their messaging... I just have no idea why they didn't mute all the people out there by showing a quick gameplay video.

And I really don't understand why people compare this game to Minecraft in the first place. Minecraft is all about building things and shaping the world that you're in - That's the draw. That's what people dig. It's LEGO. The entire world is made out of blocks and I can change EVERYTHING. On top of that, it has really deep mechanics, the crafting, etc.

This game seems to have nothing to do with Minecraft. I think it'll end up feeling much more like Proteus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnRX2np2HQ) and I don't know if people will be too excited about that.

I know how much of a pain it is to craft a world where every few steps there's something interesting for the player to do. Minecraft actually does do that - Ever Meter in the game is a different block. And I can interact with it. There are tons of blocks and they all do different things and stand for different things. Usually, when there's just walking, the gameplay will VERY QUICKLY just get tiring, even if you have great controls, etc. - the fun in games lies in the interaction with the world. And we haven't really seen anything yet in regards to real gameplay when it comes to NMS.

Now, this might sound very skeptical, but I am actually really looking forward to it. But as a gamer, I'm frustrated that they're not showing the gameplay, cause maybe they'd get some feedback from players and could still course correct a little. But I do think they kinda pulled a bit of a Molyneux without realizing it - People will now have insane expectations and I doubt they can fulfill them.

Which is exactly what they're doing this weekend at PSX.

I genuinely don't understand the confusion.

In all the footage shown so far, there have been robots flying around in the planetary environments.

There has also been very obvious space combat, and SM has said in interviews that the galaxy in NMS is a dangerous place to be - flora, fauna, NPCs & planetary (hopefully cosmic as well - I really, really hope they've got black holes, neutron stars, proto-planetary systems, twin sun systems and all that stuff) environments will be hazardous to your wellbeing.

The OP is clear when it says 'If you start going around killing all the wildlife they'll come at you.' So if you decide to be a dick, your actions have a consequence. If you want to wander around a planet cataloging flora & fauna and you do it without killing critters you'll be left alone.

I would imagine the same applies to resource gathering - they won't attack you just for picking some stuff up, but if you start killing animals or strip-mine an entire planet again there will be a consequence for those actions.

To me this sounds like a great update of the original Elite, and that makes me a happy, happy bunny.

My gaming playlist will inclue:

Interstellar OST
2001 soundtrack

v1lla21

The no co-op kind of thing is actually cool. If you are to meet other players then you would actually have to coordinate a lot more if you wish to partner up and do shit. I wish they would at least implement proximity chat.

Looks like i'll be blowing the fuck out of things in the game then.

It sounds like such a shift from the original pitch :(

They introduced it as a peaceful exploration game in the first interviews, but now it sounds like a Destiny or Halo wannabe.

Ground combat and space combat were both announced extremely early on....

So they are going for what Journey did. I suppose this means this is going to be much more of a for fun artsy game then EVE online or something. Seems interesting, just surprised they have not showed any gameplay yet, and if it plays really boringly no matter how colorful it is it won't be very fun. Here's hoping though!

Sylent01

Wasn't there some talk of a stealth element (or upgrade path?) that would avoid some of the combat situations? Can't remember for sure- but maybe there will be a way to play the game non-agressively.

So every planet has robots on them? Lame. Not only does that not make any sense, considering the scope of the game, it also kills my immersion. I want to be the first thing to set foot on some of those planets.

Top Bottom