• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky info from Game Informer

Just about everything here sounds spectacular. I look forward to trying to become a space pirate.

"Every solar systems has a trading post or space station where you can cash this stuff in. The trading post is on the planet so you don't have to jump to space every time you want to cash in. Each post will have ships coming in and generally active. You can view ships you would like to buy, see upgrades ect."

I wish they made you have to make it to the trading post. It would make for an adventure in itself. Kind of like "One Piece" where they have to make it to a civilized city with all of their haul in tact.

Well while on the planet you still need to reach the trading post. I dont think there is any fast travel in this game outside a hyperspace jump.

I got one line in and you know what, this is where my media blackout begins. I already know more about this game than I'd like to. I was already on board the first time I saw the game.

RedSwirl

Here's what I still want to know about and what I still haven't seen yet:

-Gas giants
-Moons
-Asteroids and comets large enough to land on
-Different classes of stars (main sequence, red giant, white dwarf, neutron, etc.)
-Black Holes? (Are we going to find this at the center of the galaxy?)

Basically, anything other than planets, stars, and tiny asteroids.

The pictures are gorgeous, man this game looks awesome. One of the pictures says birds may point you to a point of interest. Planets in systems are closer than in reality to cut down on travel time and so that you can see them in the sky. Each planet has a day night cycle obviously tied to the direction the planet is facing.

I so hope they nail it with this game. I am a big fan of well designed games, Nintendo games are my favorites. But there is room for a randomly generated experience if it is as interesting as they make it seem. I see footage of large space battles, I just hope you randomly end up in the middle of a rebellion, or some space war. It needs moments like that. I am hoping there are NPCs that talk, there needs to be more to this galaxy if it is to remain interesting for 100 hours.

This confirms what a lot of people expected judging from the E3 trailer. I guess that makes sense. Elite Dangerous on the other hand I think will have planetary distances to real life scale, but that game also won't have planetary exploration at launch.

Everyone confused about the game content and gameplay, just think Don't Starve + Elite. Instead of crafting, you just earn cash by doing anything. If you chop down too many trees in Don't Starve, there's a good chance a Treeguard boss will apear and chase you, or if you kill too many innocent creatures like Rabbits and Pigs, Krampus appears to steal all your shit. That's what the robots are in No Man's Sky, an occasional danger if you're too excessive in resource collecting, stopping you from grinding and overleveling and keeping you on your toes.

This is first and foremost a survival game, then comes exploration and the space sim elements. Just look at how many hours people spend doing the same exact shit in Don't Starve, Rust, Minecraft and even DayZ which is a good example of a survival game not based on crafting. The Long Dark might be another good example.

Lots of this stuff about FPS on foot was known but I really like details like the portals (sounds a bit like the Oblivion dimension in TES4), the robots actually being protectors etc.

As for the center of the galaxy, it also sounds like a new game+, or maybe, to use the Don't Starve analogy again, an entrance to Adventure Mode where you have much harder environments but also semi-predefined worlds and a goal, an additional endgame and such.

-Different classes of stars (main sequence, red giant, white dwarf, neutron, etc.)

How planets are created will be based on some simple rules. For example, the distance from the sun will determine the likeliness of there being moisture. The type of sun (Yellow Sun, Red Dwarf, Red Giant etc) will affect the quality of light on the planets. The colour of the water in the atmosphere will derive from what liquid it is

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529136/no-mans-sky-a-vast-game-crafted-by-algorithms/

The game is nothing like Destiny

I think the point is adding in the dynamic, while simple, systems being presented. Which as a [frustrated] fan of Destiny I would love.
Is combat in space only? Or is it like an FPS on planets? I'm confused about this part.

Combat can take place on land and in space. Not sure about in water or any other odd environments with similar issues to combat, but I'd expect there to be some option.

The more I learn of this game the more excited I get. Really hope HelloGames do something great here.

Thanks for all the info OP!

I love that there hasn't been mention of that many humanoid enemies, other than robots. And that not everything will be hostile.

Vire

My biggest concern with this game is the repetitive nature of gathering resources. I just hope it doesn't feel like an endless grind.

Coolade

am i the only one who thinks bungie should hire these guys for D2?

The game is nothing like Destiny

That was Damerman's point. Hire them so maybe Destiny 2 has a chance of being a good game...

Zji7cOc.png
DawADrP.png

coastel

Reading it reminded me of EVE a bit, and this game just sound's better every time I see something about it. Cant wait to see more of it.

MattyG

Banned
When are we expecting this to release? And is it a downloadable title? I've always assumed it was downloadable like Joe Danger, and that it would be a very sudden release (like the Telltale games have been lately, but maybe with a couple weeks warning instead of one day). Either way, can't wait!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest concern with this game is the repetitive nature of gathering resources. I just hope it doesn't feel like an endless grind.

The new info says that if you "grind" or resource gather too much, you will face some consequences - either natural or at the hands of some in-game "protector" of some of these natural worls.

I don't get it when people look at a game, especially one that offers a refreshing new approach to isolation and exploration, and go "but what if I have to grind?"

You don't have to do anything.

coastel

The new info says that if you "grind" or resource gather too much, you will face some consequences - either natural or at the hands of some in-game "protector" of some of these natural worls.

I don't get it when people look at a game, especially one that offers a refreshing new approach to isolation and exploration, and go "but what if I have to grind?"

You don't have to do anything.

Lol I like to grind if the reward's are good enough and fuck nature, if tree's bleed money I will be killing em all muahaha.

I swear, they have ripped this game out of my subconscious. I never knew I wanted this so badly, but now that it exists, it's pretty much the coolest thing I have ever heard.

rich7sena

Banned
I just realized this is the closest thing I'm probably going to get to Colony Wars or Free Space on consoles. Can't wait.

Have they mentioned any sort of crafting/building system? I mean they keep bringing up the idea of gathering resources, but then only use the example of trading them in to space stations for units. Is there no way for us to create settlements on these planets? Are we forever nomads of the galaxy?

Have they mentioned any sort of crafting/building system? I mean they keep bringing up the idea of gathering resources, but then only use the example of trading them in to space stations for units. Is there no way for us to create settlements on these planets? Are we forever nomads of the galaxy?

As far as I recall, they haven't and I don't see why they would when the game isn't about those things. It's more Star Trek than Starship Troopers.
I hope that they have a public beta because I just see massive day one online problems without one.

Beyond Destiny, I have yet to see an online game that had an Alpha/Beta go smoothly day 1 the past two years. I could be wrong, but doesn't even WoW have day 1 traffic-related issues with every expansion?

Tigress

As far as I recall, they haven't and I don't see why they would when the game isn't about those things. It's more Star Trek than Starship Troopers.

Kinda disappointed that it's just a money system. I'd like incentive for looking for a certain material so I can get an upgrade I want and not just, "it's worth more money but I can just find more of this cheaper material". I want to have to find certain materials if I want cettian things.

The way I see it, they are encouraging solo play because the galaxy is so large and the more people spread out the more everyone gets to discover, since surely we'll all be sharing our cool finds. But here's the thing, Hello Games underestimates many people's will power to play together. Since the beginning I've been planning to explore along side a friend, and never have they made it feel like I'm getting my hopes up. They confirmed long ago you'll be able to see other players, and since we all share the same galaxy map it shouldn't be too hard to get directions.

Now all that's left is the "we are underestimating how far away we will be spread out" part. They say it should take 40 - 100 hours to reach the center? Well make no mistake, I'll spend my first 40 - 100 hours to reach my friend if that's what it takes. And considering two people make that their top priority and work towards each other, no way it takes nearly as long as their estimate to reach the center of the galaxy.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Lol I like to grind if the reward's are good enough and fuck nature, if tree's bleed money I will be killing em all muahaha.

Go for it, sir!
I'm sure the game will cater to your resource-hungry needs.
I'm equally sure it won't force the rest of us to mine/gather/shoot asteroids all day long just to get a bit of a fuel boost.

But I believe, even in the worst-case scenario, that if I pace myself and approach NMS as a whimsical escape, I will be able to enjoy supposed mundane actions as part of my in-game routine; as a small means to an end.

If something ever feels like a "grind", I'll stop and do something else.
It really doesn't get any simpler than that.

Enco

So the only quest is getting to the centre of the universe?

There's exploration and that will be fun for a certain amount of time. What's after that though? Minecraft was fun to explore for a bit but exploration gets boring when there's nothing to do.

Unless I've missed something and there's a good reason to visit lots of planets and engage in quests.

AngryMoth

I hope that they have a public beta because I just see massive day one online problems without one.
Apparently they aren't having one but I agree. Having the entire player base share the same world and just being able to run into each other sounds like a huge technical challenge.

Haunted

The personal hype for this couldn't possibly be any bigger.

So the only quest is getting to the centre of the universe?

There's exploration and that will be fun for a certain amount of time. What's after that though? Minecraft was fun to explore for a bit but exploration gets boring when there's nothing to do.
Speak for yourself. Exploration as a core concept never gets old as long as the moment to moment gameplay is engaging and you continually give me new content to explore.

If you want to look at it as a game to play through once and be done with it, the interview states that they expect the completion of that quest to take from 40 to a 100 hours of playtime, which should leave most people well satisfied in terms of length.

Top Bottom