• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Is BACK Baby. Ok ... I'm in! IGN Interview

horror_man

Neo Member
I never understood the point of this game, and I thought this had died on launch? Anyway, hope the best for the developers behind this and whoever is enjoying their creation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I see Sean's beard has leveled up a couple times over the course of his ordeal.

And honestly, at this point I'd just play The Outer Wilds if I wanted that kind of experience. It seems to deliver on the same beats as NMS (seamless space exploration, ancient alien mysteries, See That Planet? You Can Fly There, etc.) but on a smaller and more meticulously-crafted scale:

It's procedural generated.

So I bought NMS sky after it first launched, around $20 I think, it was after the hype and then massive backlash. At $20 I got the game and was running around, collecting stuff, crafting fuel, travelling to other planets, going into space stations, talking to aliens, trying to learn their language, and going further to the center of the universe. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. I got bored after a couple of times doing this, as there was nothing to really motivate me to keep playing.
Then the updates came in, you could build other crafts, you could build your own house, so I started playing again, and had fun for about 2 more hours, then I got uninterested. With this latest update, what has really changed? Am I still just doing endless fetch quest? Are there still mobile game wait times for certain entities within the game? So I have to wait 2 hours before I talk to a science officer to progress his story line further? Are the aliens still stagnant, repeatable entities, that have no character or personality?
I am glad they are still working on this game, and if people like endless fetch quest then more power to them, but to anyone asking what the point of the game is, I don't think there is much of one. Not story wise at least. It is just a somewhat endless universe of repeatable planets, filled with plants and animals that you can harvest and then craft. It is fun for a few hours, then just becomes very stagnant.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Well in Minecraft I can build all kinds of things. Just being creative with the tools available. Like building an underwater translucent metro network, floating castles or making an exact replica of your own house. I feel like you can do a lot more fun stuff in Minecraft.
What shit is this? Well yes, you can do things in Minecraft too. Just say you have an irrational hatred of No mans sky and stop talking bollocks.

Flintty

That all sounds awesome, I can’t wait to get back into it.

I love Sean. His enthusiasm and excitement is infectious and I’m so pleased he bounced back from the initial shit storm.

I never understood the point of this game, and I thought this had died on launch? Anyway, hope the best for the developers behind this and whoever is enjoying their creation.

You sort of choose what you want to do with the game. Do the story/center of universe thing or go explore or go build a base or assemble a massive fleet, etc. Honestly, I end up taking a ton of screenshots in the game.

It sank at launch, but rebounded very well.

Vawn

Banned
I'm one of the few who thought this game was good at launch. I platinumed it, but haven't touched it since then. If the VR impressions are favorable, I might just have to start a new playthrough in VR.

buizel

Banned
I'm one of the few who thought this game was good at launch. I platinumed it, but haven't touched it since then. If the VR impressions are favorable, I might just have to start a new playthrough in VR.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I understood it lacked features promised, but I loved it to bits at launch and still do.

As someone who used to play Elite, Starflight and watch TOS Trek, this is my dream game and always will be
Love it to this day and can't wait for next update!

Sean Murray and his team are the best!!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I understood it lacked features promised, but I loved it to bits at launch and still do.

As someone who used to play Elite, Starflight and watch TOS Trek, this is my dream game and always will be
Love it to this day and can't wait for next update!

Sean Murray and his team are the best!!

I think improving and expanding trading and giving some story based missions on top would go towards recreating the fun I had with Starflight even more... NMS looks like a product of love and passion and K wish for it to keep getting expanded and cannot wait to see a next generation update!!!

VR is big for this game.

Still needs a lot of work if they didn't polish/upgrade the core mechanics of the game. I hope they start polishing and making more interesting changes to the environment hazards, weapons, crafting, trading, maybe ship building? Also the scanner/beacon repetition cycle is terrible.

Game is lacking big time on those departments.

Needs living cities, abandoned planets with ruins of civilizations, some kind of artificial intelligence on NPCs, maybe make them gather, reproduce, just keep expanding by themselves as (real) time goes by. Things worth exploring. Procedural is great but some hand crafted stuff hidden in the universe might go a long way as a search by the players. Just some big misteries, etc.

Maybe make it a player based economy, with materials more rare and not everybody rich with little effort.

Yeah I'm just going off the top of my head but the game needs a lot of work.

"When it has everything I think should be in the game, it will be perfect!"

bltn

I will not listen to another word coming out of Sean Murray’s mouth. If it reviews favorably I’ll have a look at the game though!

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Funny how media shills love Sean Murray just because he did not give up on the game and sure that's a good thing HOWEVER the game will never be what they wanted or promised. There really is no sense of exploration or enjoyment of exploring different planets, they're all the same at their cores or basic gameplay and there really is no story or lore that will make you want to explore. They've added functionality to the game and you can build stuff and have friends with you but that is it and its something we've seen done a million times. If you want to feel rewarded for exploring in a story/lore kind of way just get Subnautica and if you want to build stuff and feel proud about it get Minecraft.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Funny how media shills love Sean Murray just because he did not give up on the game and sure that's a good thing HOWEVER the game will never be what they wanted or promised. There really is no sense of exploration or enjoyment of exploring different planets, they're all the same at their cores or basic gameplay and there really is no story or lore that will make you want to explore. They've added functionality to the game and you can build stuff and have friends with you but that is it and its something we've seen done a million times. If you want to feel rewarded for exploring in a story/lore kind of way just get Subnautica and if you want to build stuff and feel proud about it get Minecraft.
Or if you want a bit of both get NMS which with its VR expansion and constant tweaks to the procedural creation engine is leading to vastly different planets and ecosystem and immersing yourself in VR mode just makes it more special.

Different games for different people :).

Mobilemofo

Thinking about buying it again. Last played about 5 months after launch... So after all the updates, is it worth it?,

JimiNutz

Banned
Never played the original but I this looks and sounds amazing and I have a lot of respect for the developer.
I'm especially excited to consume some hallucinogens and play this in VR tripping out of my mind.

MaKTaiL

WuQt7ErY2dJR35X52HN7zX-650-80.jpg

My point isn't that everything you can do in Minecraft, you can do in NMS. Just that at this point NMS is so big I no longer know how to answer the question.
How did he manage to land the ship inside the water? o_O

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They say that ignorance is bliss. Not for a NMS fan in a NMS thread it isn't ... God, some of you know absolutely nothing about this game but pretend you know everything. It's embarrassing.

Psyched for this. Don't care for VR but 32 players, larger bases, more activities? Count me in! Might do a fresh start permadeath for this.
It's pretty obvious who in this thread has already given the game a chance after all the updates so far, and who hasn't. Not that anyone has to give it a chance, or a second chance in some cases, but it's pretty immature to keep shit-talking the game in news threads when you yourself haven't even played the game in its current state. Don't want to play it? Fine, no skin off my nose...but there's no need for you to post about how you don't want to play it.

Reactions: Isa
Nope. Not gonna bite. I don't like procedural generated "worlds". I think it's a bad game design choice. With designers designing every aspect of a level, there's signature, a soul behind it's creation. It doesn't always work out well, but at least there's the signature of somebody who worked on it.

buizel

Banned
Nope. Not gonna bite. I don't like procedural generated "worlds". I think it's a bad game design choice. With designers designing every aspect of a level, there's signature, a soul behind it's creation. It doesn't always work out well, but at least there's the signature of somebody who worked on it.

Yeah but even hand made levels can turn out shite. That's why level design is important.

However, games like these everything has the creators signature on it. All the parts and guns and ships you see.

In a game like this, level design in the traditional sense isn't so important. And the subtle level design that is there does it well.

Anyway, I getcha. I like hand crafted structured world's, but this game allows us to do that. Hand crafted structured bases and everything.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hadn't played this since a couple of weeks after release. Next didn't bring me back...but somehow I think this might. It's really the first game I felt would be exponentially better in VR. Sadly I don't have a VR headset, but I still might give this another shot. I still own it.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm hoping this all evolves into a bigger multiplayer experience. One where the economy and factions are all shaped by the players. Where groups of players can build and defend strongholds and mining colonies. I know that is probably not going to happen, but it would be truly amazing if it did.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Do not believe this fluffjob from "games journalism" this game is as boring as ever. It'll get a small bump at best then die out again in at most a week. Money and time will be wasted.

Last edited:

Oemenia

Banned
Do not believe this fluffjob from "games journalism" this game is as boring as ever. It'll get a small bump at best then die out again in at most a week. Money and time will be wasted.
People forget this in every thread, the core game is still dull af.

But hey, some people just really want to like this game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People forget this in every thread, the core game is still dull af.

But hey, some people just really want to like this game.

Or maybe some people like different gameplay than you? Is NMS an action packed game? Not at all, but that doesn't make it boring. There is a ton of fun and wonder to be had in NMS and the more they integrate multiplayer, those things become more compelling to experience with friends and now even strangers.

Personally I see this game as having endless potential if they continue to update it. My only fear is that at some point they need to turn to a profit generating model or they will be unable to.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Well in Minecraft I can build all kinds of things. Just being creative with the tools available. Like building an underwater translucent metro network, floating castles or making an exact replica of your own house. I feel like you can do a lot more fun stuff in Minecraft.

Ok good for you, and your point? He just told you he runs a space fleet in No Man's Sky.

The Skull

More excited about Vulkan's integration than anything. Trying to play in open GL with an AMD card is a nightmare.

scalman

but 32 players are just in that Nexus area that you can see no ? people who allready played it VR online they says its 3 more players that you can play together on missions and such . so its 4 player coop more or less. where then that 32 players numbers comes in?

mcz117chief

You should try dreams then, lots of room to be creative :)

Also we get it, you don’t like the game, you like Minecraft..
It isn't like I don't like No Man's Sky, I never even played it, but there is nothing pulling me into the game either. And yes, I do like Minecraft. One of the best games this generation.

Top Bottom