• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No mans sky is not a bad game. its just not what was promised still

buizel

Banned
I thoroughly enjoy No Mans Sky whenever I'm in the mood for it. Scavenging around trying to get some cool ship or build a base can be pretty satisfying, and the sensation of exploration in such an enormous "space" is unparalelled as far as I'm concerned. I always felt the economy could use more depth, so maybe that is something I can agree on. Though I would prefer way more storytelling I do not believe that that is something they ever promised and then under-delivered.

I
NMS is my chill game, where I can turn my brain off and just grind it out. I like its simplicity actually: exiting the atmosphere of a planet without a single load screen, docking at a space station, engaging hyperdrive then heading for the next planet to wander aimlessly in... It reminds me of a NES game I played called Star Voyager, which I never finished due to not knowing what I had to do, but back then with those primitive graphics I loved just engaging hyperdrive and landing on a planet, and now Beyond is going to give me exactly that in VR. Hurry up, Wednesday!

wz23pou.jpg

This was my space jam back in the day. Open world 3d universe on the NES? Phew

I never felt it underdelivered, since I never really was able to discern what this game is actually about.

In the Next update I started anew, and felt the same thing again. I just don't know what I am supposed to do in there.
It looks beautiful though, I give them that.

I'd love to see a game from them where they take their procedural generation tech, and apply it to a more focused setting.
See Starglider 2 on the Atari ST and Amiga, for instance.

It's just one Star System and you have a mission to accomplish there..
Imagine how crazy that game would look like with NMS tech.

I'm concerned about the precedent this game has set. Murray was consistently misleading people about the game prior to its release and somehow we just have to ignore that now? This will just attract more flies to do the same shit. Do you really want a repeat of this? Because there's a decent likelihood that there are opportunists who will see this as their way in or deflect criticism.

What's more is that Murray hasn't delivered a genuine apology for this, but instead chose to go low profile for an extended period until people naturally forgot or became more forgiving. People shouldn't hold grudges, but to excuse this game for how it tried to sell itself on a false premise is absolutely not the way to go.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

No Man Sky is the shining example for developers of why talking to your community before your game is out is a BAD BAD IDEA.

Yup, and Murrays nice house, car and bank account are a shining example to developers why hyping up your community before your game is out is a GOOD GOOD IDEA.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think it has surpassed the original promises.

I am biased, though. I platinum'd the game after about 80 hours of play on the vanilla version, and I enjoyed my time. Even in that "unfinished" state, it was a good game to play for an hour, shelve it, then come back the next day. For gamers who like to grind and grind, the more recent patches make the game a better experience in that regard, admittedly.

I have a big freighter, a few scout ships in my "fleet", and some basic customizations for the interior of my freighter, but otherwise I haven't touched much of the post-vanilla stuff. The periodic table was shuffled, the tech tree was greatly expanded, it has multiplayer now, it has base-building, it has more vehicles.

I think Beyond will be a good shot in the arm.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hello games and Sean Murray promised us a space adventure, a bit of narrative and dynamic gameplay. didn't we hear about the in space, space-bases that you could go in and have complex economy, the factions that you can join or go against. space battles with allies and enemies and the multiplayer that was seamless.

what we got is a lot of stuff. but it all amounts to a minecraft clone in space really. it has a lot of stuff don't get me wrong but there is really no campaign or story of significance. and all the dynamic gameplay elements don't exist, you essentially have a resource management game thats kinda like minecraft in space

am not going to be one of these people that say "the game was turned around Hello Games are the good guys now, see they didn't abandon the game". well they neither gave us what they said they will. everyone on social media talking about sean Murray as if he was some sort of a Gospel legend or something.

its just a resource management game with building and things. it doesn't have a real mission system or anything like that. no real ending, none of the gameplay that was shown in E3 years ago before the game came out and it still has none of that.

Proving once again, there is no way of pleasing some people.

The big laugh for me, and I think this is indicative of the core issue of the insanely unrealistic expactations some people had/have, is the complaint that there is "no real ending".

After exploring a whole universe and reaching its centre, apparently some imbeciles were expecting some sort of transcendent event to happen. Like what? Its still just a game you dumbfucks!

I honestly wish to God Sean had just pulled a Yoko Taro move and popped a "thank you for playing" text on-screen and called it there. Because it seems to me that short of GOD himself manifesting it was always going to be somewhat anticlimactic!

Last edited:

zenspider

I'm concerned about the precedent this game has set. Murray was consistently misleading people about the game prior to its release and somehow we just have to ignore that now? This will just attract more flies to do the same shit. Do you really want a repeat of this? Because there's a decent likelihood that there are opportunists who will see this as their way in or deflect criticism.

What's more is that Murray hasn't delivered a genuine apology for this, but instead chose to go low profile for an extended period until people naturally forgot or became more forgiving. People shouldn't hold grudges, but to excuse this game for how it tried to sell itself on a false premise is absolutely not the way to go.

I see your point here, but I think the work that's gone into fufilling that promise (and then some) far outweighs the mishandled pre-launch hype.

To some degree, every game over-promises and under-delivers. Not every game over-delivers eventually. I think we have to have the road to redemption open, though we don't want every dev to take it as a post-launch Plan B.

Oberstein

Well, I tried the game again.
It's even worse than I thought.

- Arrived on a random planet badly textured: find fuel, but for that you need two elements.
- Spend time at to collect ore, make a plate thing and a tube thing.
- New mission!!! Create something with 4 elements. First 2 elements to create a pocket refinery console. Then create two new elements to collect.

Oh no, that's enough, I want to do something else!

"Go to the space station, a mystery awaits you."
"I'm going for it! Finally!"

- Oh, traveller, go spot that mysterious signal.
Mysterious signal:
- Create 8 elements based on carbon, helium, tungsten, make 2 pocket refineries, a pocket radar.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

- Arrived on a random planet badly textured: find fuel, but for that you need two elements.
- New mission!!! Create something with 4 elements. First 2 elements to create a pocket refinery console. Then create two new elements to collect.

Mysterious signal:
- Create 8 elements based on carbon, helium, tungsten, make 2 pocket refineries, a pocket radar.

It sounds like you are very early in the game, on the first planet you start from, and that a game about exploration, mining, resource management, etc... containing exploration, mining, etc... may not be for you :).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

So, I need to be worried that a developer will keep releasing tons of huge free updates for years massively increasing the scope of a still already big game instead of taking the money and running? Tough choice indeed ;).

I do not think there is an apology that would suffice other than totally destroying him and the studio: it makes me think that perhaps some people would have liked him to crash, burn, shut the studio down, and never release any update or improvement to the game... not sure if gamers would have been better served like that and if it is not the fact that he did not run with the money like people were predicting that is pissing them off...

Last edited:

Inviusx

Mysterious signal:

It has never stopped being that game. The core experience is just as bad as it was 3 years ago.

Oberstein

It sounds like you are very early in the game, on the first planet you start from, and that a game about exploration, mining, resource management, etc... containing exploration, mining, etc... may not be for you :).
In fact, the problem is that the story is only a pretext for harvesting minerals. Go from point A to B, mining and ressource management, go from point B to C, mining and ressource management, etc.
To be honest, for me, it takes away all the interest of exploration, this frenetic "mining and ressource management".

It has never stopped being that game. The core experience is just as bad as it was 3 years ago.

Yes, that's it, this game is not for me.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I wish I had he patience to go back. I played it on launch, never got a refund despite the controversy. Kept playing for about 2 weeks, then gave up. I wish I could wipe my memory of the game. Play it for the first time today or maybe when the next patch rolls out.

Codes 208

The game is, and has been for some time now, what was promised. It will never, however, live up to the completely unrealistic expectations that people had of the game prior to launch.
100% this. When i played the original vanilla launch i got bored in hours and ended up getting a refund.

But during its re-launch, i gave it a second chance and it was by far a much better experience. Its definitely not going to be what they claimed, but it atleast plays better as this “minecraft in space” kind of game.

I got it for the big VR update. Never touched it prior to a week ago.

Guys, I find it so boring. Granted all I've done so far is repair my ship and visit a few other planets. But I'm having a hard time finding anything interesting about the game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The game is, and has been for some time now, what was promised. It will never, however, live up to the completely unrealistic expectations that people had of the game prior to launch.
The game is great and I understand and appreciate what it is. That said, I think it would greatly improve the fun factor if they incorporated an NPC faction that would serve as a point of major point conflict and threat. Competing for territory and resources would be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom