• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Prisoner

nomanssky_2016081617351o0p.jpg
:)

Ah, OT2!

To follow up from my last post in the last thread, I'm going to go for this crashed ship even though I'm on a totally inhospitable toxic planet. What I'm going to do now that I didn't do before:

- Dismantle all the upgrades on my current ship.
- Make use of my suit inventory so there's space for everything.
- Stock up on Zinc.

I must have been dead tired or not thinking right because I didn't do any of this stuff with my first crashed ship. I moved the current ship inventory over and that was it. Mistakes were made.

I have decided to go the crashed ship method but I think I need to get myself to a Gek system as well since scanning for crashed ships is a lot more fruitful using their glitched transmission towers.

I upgrade my new ships with the bare minimum now and just focus on the hunt for the next ship.

Congrats. I think this will be my second platinum.

UCBooties

1-650x366.jpg

I'd really like to see more shots of things like this in the game. It has a varied landscape, interesting architecture, and lush, detailed vegetation. Hopefully after some updates the game will start to look like some of these pre-release screenshots.

muteki

For the milestones/trophies where you survive on a planet for X days, does that have to be all at once, or can you leave and come back, or use several different planets?

I found a planet with gravitino balls everywhere that I noticed was increasing my survival days counter. It is pretty convenient to farm on (the radiation isn't that bad/sentinels I can run from) but I'm wondering if I should stick it out here for 30 odd days or so or if I can move on and not lose my count.

Other than that, so many blueprint dupes last night.

red731

I effing love the music in this game.

Also, I kinda want to start naming planets with a code system that explains if there is anything cool to find on the planet for other players - resource wise.

Has someone already suggested this? If not anyone have a good idea how to do this?

Of course it was.
See this, might help you - clicky

Search for planet naming convention v2

Rephil

does anybody else still has that 'You have lost connection to online services' message on the bottom in the menus?

flkraven

1-650x366.jpg

I'd really like to see more shots of things like this in the game. It has a varied landscape, interesting architecture, and lush, detailed vegetation. Hopefully after some updates the game will start to look like some of these pre-release screenshots.

Will it though? I was under the impression that the entire galaxy was already generated. If they change the seed, wouldn't that change the planets that have already been discovered?

does anybody else still has that 'You have lost connection to online services' message on the bottom in the menus?

Yup. This game hasn't been online for about a week now.

Will it though? I was under the impression that the entire galaxy was already generated. If they change the seed, wouldn't that change the planets that have already been discovered?

They have said as much but apparently that is something they will be doing on occasion as part of their patch work.

TyrantII

1-650x366.jpg

Head to the screenshot OT. They're in there, just rare jewels, as they should be.

I found one in my second system.

My last planet was a radiation hell hold of Kilometer high mountains, ranges, and cragy canyons with a few high plains. I hadn't seen anything like those mountains yet myself.

1-650x366.jpg

If you told me this was a screenshot from the game now the only reason I would doubt you is the structure in the background. They need to seed some random structures into the game that don't have any purpose whatsoever. More simple random structures that just exist as reminders of an ancient civilization now extinct. They don't have to do anything.

Munter

I found a planet where the caves have loads of pearls. To top it off, I can sell them at the nearby space station for almost 100% extra profit!

TyrantII

For the milestones/trophies where you survive on a planet for X days, does that have to be all at once, or can you leave and come back, or use several different planets?

Once. You can't leave the atmosphere, so be careful of the jettison glitch. It's about 6 hours real time I believe.

You CAN save on the surface and shut down the game / come back. So find a extreme with lots if annuals and just find them all in 2 3-hour sessions.

Played for the first time last night and my home planet has lots of aluminum, which I was able to sell
For a lot of credits. Not sure if Its useful to keeps
Some in my inventory

Rephil

Yup. This game hasn't been online for about a week now.

They have said as much but apparently that is something they will be doing on occasion as part of their patch work.

but could it affect the game? i mean, i was in the other space station, and there arrived about 4 to 5 different ships. and that was it. i thought there where so many different ships allover the game..

but could it affect the game? i mean, i was in the other space station, and there arrived about 4 to 5 different ships. and that was it. i thought there where so many different ships allover the game..

There are many different ships. They arrive at space stations, trading platforms, some outposts and you can find crashed ones via transmission towers.

They are randomly generated.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I was under the impression that a reason for the universe reset at launch was to clear stuff liked named discoveries, so everyone started on even ground.

Otherwise I thought it works like this: whole systems and planets don't exist when a player isn't in them. Only specific bookmarks, like planetside waypoint beacons, are preserved everyone's personal save file. Planets are generally the same when you return only so long as the algorithm generating them is the same.

Therefore the math that creates each planet can be changed to alter how the planet is generated, so long as the math still finds a place for saved waypoints a player has locked into existence by activating them. If so they could update the game to produce better planets and if you went to a previously discovered system, the planet would be different but your discoveries and waypoints would still be somewhere on its surface.

To me it seems as if NMS can be readily updated with new breadcrumb trail questlines like Atlas, to give players something new to go find and explore since its universe is so large. Even when the universe isn't reset with a new configuration of stars, the game would dynamically place new points of interest as you enter a system for the first time on your save file, allowing the player to discover and follow a new quest chain.

muteki

Once. You can't leave the atmosphere, so be careful of the jettison glitch. It's about 6 hours real time I believe.

You CAN save on the surface and shut down the game / come back. So find a extreme with lots if annuals and just find them all in 2 3-hour sessions.

hmm. not sure if I care about doing that right now then. I've been here about 6 days and have bumped my milestone counter up from 0 at least, but not sure I want to hang around for that long. Too much other stuff to do. Really just want the cash to finish suit upgrades then do what I gotta do to get rid of these balls.

Handy Fake

They're on trading routes in that system, you can follow them to the surface and back. Now and then one will warp in that's different but usually leave the system again.

rbanke

Wow that's random. I was looking for shelter after leaving my new (broken) ship to look for materials and getting stuck in an extreme storm. I get to a place and blow open the door and complete the event and got rewarded with
V3 Atlas card
I don't even have
V2
yet.

UCBooties

Changes to the way that the game renders objects can be made without changing the seed. The overall geometry and composition of the planet would not change but they could absolutely change the way that it looks. The question is whether or not it's technically or financially feasible to keep pushing for those cleaner, more robust graphics.

If you told me this was a screenshot from the game now the only reason I would doubt you is the structure in the background. They need to seed some random structures into the game that don't have any purpose whatsoever. More simple random structures that just exist as reminders of an ancient civilization now extinct. They don't have to do anything.

Well the structure, the textures, the lack of that kind of hazy filter that ends up over every screenshot of the game, the fact that the trees actually look like they're growing out of the ground instead of sitting on top of it.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks good, but it doesn't look this good.

Razgreez

There are many different ships. They arrive at space stations, trading platforms, some outposts and you can find crashed ones via transmission towers.

There is a potentially huge number of different ships but the same 4 or 5 will usually show up in a system. The game seems to spawn a specific number per system but as soon as you warp to another you will find different ones.

The amusing part is of course that if you hang around long enough you may see 3 of four of the exact same ships with the exact same pilots all docking at the same time

Rephil

randomly generated my ass. i spent like 10 hours in the same system. and there were like 5 different ships with sometimes different colors, thats it. doesnt bother me that much, and i love the game, but im just wondering if it has something to do with the online issue.. and i really want a better looking ship ;)

I've dug a hole right next to a save point to hide from the heat and just leave the game on while doing other stuff. Just reached the Rugged milestone.

The trophies are for Robust and the last one. Which number milestone is Robust?

Rephil

There is a potentially huge number of different ships but the same 4 or 5 will usually show up in a system. The game seems to spawn a specific number per system but as soon as you warp to another you will find different ones.

The amusing part is of course that if you hang around long enough you may see 3 of four of the exact same ships with the exact same pilots all docking at the same time

AHA! i thought i could be limited per system. Thanks guys! :) to infinity and beyond!

This game really needs to pause when the controller shuts off.

I fell asleep playing late last night and I was on a planet with extreme heat. I was outside in the hostile conditions so I was sitting there for like 8 hours constantly dying. Woke up to all my warp cores gone and my tech all damaged.

Luckily the second save had my grave with all my stuff. Fuck. Why doesn't this game have such a basic feature?!?!?

pj

Banned
If anyone is still hanging out in their first couple systems, don't. Move on. At around system 3 or 4 the upgrades that make the game less annoying start dropping like candy.

I didn't find a single exosuit upgrade in 10 hours in my first systems. After one more jump I found 3 on a single planet. Plus several new multitools.

Tovarisc

In the early game when inventory space is at a premium, I say sell everything.

I treat ship as bank where I storage most crucial raw materials. Suit inventory expands so fast that you can get max suit by end of second solar system. Hell, I maxed out suit before leaving starter system. Drop pods are too plentiful.

Alebrije

Is there any tool or strategy to find animals rather than just wandering around the planet ?

I like to walk but the last two days have been exploring a moon and do not find one specie , were on caves , sky, ground but nothing , have 8 of 9 species and do not want to leave the place until find the last one.

Moreche

As much as this game disappoints me, I'm willing to hope Sean and his team can fix as much as technically possible.
Strangely I think they'll do it, I don't know why but it'll be interesting to see how committed they are and how much they'll change it.

Alebrije

If anyone is still hanging out in their first couple systems, don't. Move on. At around system 3 or 4 the upgrades that make the game less annoying start dropping like candy.

I didn't find a single exosuit upgrade in 10 hours in my first systems. After one more jump I found 3 on a single planet. Plus several new multitools.

This could be random becuase I found my exosuit upgrade on the first solar system at the beginning of the game , In fact I have not jumped to other place becuase animal hunting and language improving

Currently on a planet with flora and fauna "not present". Yet... the scanner picks up a lot of lifeforms. But they fade in and out and are always out of reach when i move towards them.
It's my planet haunted? The vistas look like it.

The only thing here are those pearl pods but the scanner icons are not for them either.

Flora AND Fauna not present? Are you on a barren rock? Love to see a screenshot of that since I haven't been on one completely devoid of life.

So is the scanner picking up red dots moving about ? Or is it pinging faint grey ones?

Top Bottom