• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

qliUzgk.jpg

I'd be happy to just be able to change the damned FOV on PS4.

Yea mate you and me both. I pretty much never get headaches or nauseous playing games but I often do while playing No Man's Sky. Especially if I'm dogfighting in a space battle whipping around trying to shoot pirates. It's way too narrow at the moment.

Fredrik

How does the black hole warps work? I've just made 4 jumps in a row and checked the galactic map and it looks like I'm just warping around a circle, I don't get any closer to the center, same distance, I just pop up on different sides on the centre.

How does the black hole warps work? I've just made 4 jumps in a row and checked the galactic map and it looks like I'm just warping around a circle, I don't get any closer to the center, same distance, I just pop up on different sides on the centre.

It should always warp you closer to the center, but at random positions in the galaxy. The jump distance towards the center is pretty small though, I think around 1500 LY, while I think you start off at about 180.000 LY, don't remember the exact numbers if there are any. So you basically jump to random points in space, sometimes you travel tens or hundreds of thousands of light years (as in, that's the distance you crossed from point A to point B), but in a practical sense you've only gotten a tiny bit closer to the center of the galaxy.

So you need like 100+ jumps to get to the center, and I think fully upgraded ship engines can warp you the same distance, if not a bit more (without damaging your ship's internal systems). I see people also use a second junk ship with pretty much no internal systems apart from the crucial ones (parked in your freighter when using your main ship), so you don't need to fix expensive internals at every black hole jump, which is pretty clever.

Fredrik

It should always warp you closer to the center, but at random positions in the galaxy. The jump distance towards the center is pretty small though, I think around 1500 LY, while I think you start off at about 180.000 LY, don't remember the exact numbers if there are any. So you basically jump to random points in space, sometimes you travel tens or hundreds of thousands of light years (as in, that's the distance you crossed from point A to point B), but in a practical sense you've only gotten a tiny bit closer to the center of the galaxy.

So you need like 100+ jumps to get to the center, and I think fully upgraded ship engines can warp you the same distance, if not a bit more (without damaging your ship's internal systems). I see people also use a second junk ship with pretty much no internal systems apart from the crucial ones (parked in your freighter when using your main ship), so you don't need to fix expensive internals at every black hole jump, which is pretty clever.
Bah! I thought you would actually get a shortcut to the centre through the black holes with at least 10000LY of travel. 1500LY is nothing, I do more than that with my fully upgraded hyperdrive. It's cheaper though, if you use a dedicated black hole travel ship as I learned earlier in this thread, a cheap ship you have on the freighter only used for traveling through black holes so it doesn't matter if it breaks.

1500LY is nothing, I do more than that with my fully upgraded hyperdrive.

But the thing is you actually don't. My hyperdrive can supposedly do somewhere around 1670 LY per jump but if you look at the distance to centre before and after a jump, you will have only jumped about 1/4 of that distance. The numbers are screwed up. It's much faster taking black holes using the basic ship taxi strategy.

Fredrik

But the thing is you actually don't. My hyperdrive can supposedly do somewhere around 1670 LY per jump but if you look at the distance to centre before and after a jump, you will have only jumped about 1/4 of that distance. The numbers are screwed up. It's much faster taking black holes using the basic ship taxi strategy.
Aha, didn't know that.
Anyhow, I can't believe some have reached the centre, it must've taken ages, I'm 160k LY away right now, which looks like half way through the galaxy if I'm reading the map correctly.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Aha, didn't know that.
Anyhow, I can't believe some have reached the centre, it must've taken ages, I'm 160k LY away right now, which looks like half way through the galaxy if I'm reading the map correctly.

I'm going to try the opposite direction, see if I can reach the edge.

That's an exaggeration, if you're careful to go straight from your current location toward the center and choose a star that's as close to center as possible, you will not lose distance. The problem is that the controls in free roaming do not allow for straight lines very well, and you can't lock on to the center. So even if you think you're heading towards the center, you may be off by several degrees. This can result in the loss of a couple hundred of light years.

That's an exaggeration, if you're careful to go straight from your current location toward the center and choose a star that's as close to center as possible, you will not lose distance. The problem is that the controls in free roaming do not allow for straight lines very well, and you can't lock on to the center. So even if you think you're heading towards the center, you may be off by several degrees. This can result in the loss of a couple hundred of light years.

No exaggeration necessary. It's what happens. I even spent the time to manually fly all the way to the centre in the galactic map to check and the linear distance was almost four times the supposed distance to centre from my current location. The numbers don't add up. Another example I can give is making the journey to the galactic hub using the pilgram star path tool. The number of estimated jumps at 1600 LY was always approximately four times the distance to the destination and having just completed that journey today I can tell you that it was quite accurate.

Fredrik

Oh wow...
You know all those annoying tiny spider crabs that always attack you?
I think I just found their mom...

6m tall
o_O

Also, thanks Corporal Uxi and your clones for selling me 60 GekNip! =D
Time to swap some plants in the green house!

my Mother Base Landing Platform :D
- https://youtu.be/_GBRo96LDYg?t=25473

my mining base has come along... I also searched in a circle around my base too for the nearest large 'above ground' Elerium deposits and put Waypoints at them so that I can return to them easily for daily mining :O goes well with the underground Elerium deposit I have a few feet from my base with Automated Mining Units

it's no geknip farm but trying to make the best of my sort of 'daily roleplay' moon mining operations haha

Minamu

my Mother Base Landing Platform :D
- https://youtu.be/_GBRo96LDYg?t=25473

my mining base has come along... I also searched in a circle around my base too for the nearest large 'above ground' Elerium deposits and put Waypoints at them so that I can return to them easily for daily mining :O goes well with the underground Elerium deposit I have a few feet from my base with Automated Mining Units

it's no geknip farm but trying to make the best of my sort of 'daily roleplay' moon mining operations haha
Unless they changed it since I played, you can restart the game to auto-refill the deposits immediately.

Unless they changed it since I played, you can restart the game to auto-refill the deposits immediately.
Not sure if it changed or how it worked before I started playing this summer, but the one by my base sometimes stays empty for a few days at a time, even after a half dozen game restarts, galaxy teleports, etc. All the deformation from grenades stayed, too. And when it changed back, it didn't reset to 100%... it sort of went back to maybe 40-50% full. Took like 4-5 sessions maybe (or maybe... 20-30 hours, 5-10 game loads) before it was finally back to 100%. I'd have to double check my stream archive but was quite a few streams before it finally restocked.

So I guess the proximity to home base affects it somehow.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Is it possible to make slide shows in Share Factory and then give them a voice over? I've searched everyhwere and can't find a thing.

Fredrik

Just bought a bigger freighter and my secondary ship, the black hole taxi, isn't there anymore. Did I mess up and lost my ship or will it arrive the next time I dock?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Glad everyone here told me to wait for a sale!

Game is installing now. Anything I should read up on before diving in? Obscure mechanics or anything like that?

Dineren

Banned
Glad everyone here told me to wait for a sale!

Game is installing now. Anything I should read up on before diving in? Obscure mechanics or anything like that?

I wouldn't call it obscure, but one thing I forgot about when I started over is that if your ship is destroyed you will lose the stuff in its inventory so if you have something really valuable, keep it in your suit inventory.

Minamu

What's the over/under that the game will be getting a sale soon on PS4?
Nicoga mentioned a sale two posts above yours. I think it usually goes on sale near a new update so if it idn't on sale right now, it'll probably be within the month or two, if the arg is suggesting a major patch.

drh1691

Neo Member
No exaggeration necessary. It's what happens. I even spent the time to manually fly all the way to the centre in the galactic map to check and the linear distance was almost four times the supposed distance to centre from my current location. The numbers don't add up. Another example I can give is making the journey to the galactic hub using the pilgram star path tool. The number of estimated jumps at 1600 LY was always approximately four times the distance to the destination and having just completed that journey today I can tell you that it was quite accurate.

I can confirm this. Real travel towards the center of the galaxy is approximately 1/4 of the distance seen when you select the system you want to travel to.

So if I select a system about 1000 light years closer to the center, real travel would be only about 250 light years.

Black hole travel: I use my long range warp(+40% extra warp range) ship to reach the furthest black hole I can reach while going towards the center. I then use my black hole taxi to go through the black hole. Each time I do this I get between 1000 - 2000 light years closer to the center in real travel. Can anyone confirm this also?

Fredrik

I can confirm this. Real travel towards the center of the galaxy is approximately 1/4 of the distance seen when you select the system you want to travel to.

So if I select a system about 1000 light years closer to the center, real travel would be only about 250 light years.

Black hole travel: I use my long range warp(+40% extra warp range) ship to reach the furthest black hole I can reach while going towards the center. I then use my black hole taxi to go through the black hole. Each time I do this I get between 1000 - 2000 light years closer to the center in real travel. Can anyone confirm this also?
That means it will still take ages to reach the center. I'm currently 157000LY from the center, even with your max range of 2000LY it will take me roughly 80 warp+black hole travels.

So I've stopped trying to reach the center. I know there is not much there but I still wanted to do it for completionist reasons, but I'm back to playing for other reasons now. Back to farming and searching for that perfect home planet. Just started a NipNip farm on my new freighter too!

The 1.3 update sounds interesting anyway, can't wait to see the full patch notes and maybe a trailer like previous updates.

drh1691

Neo Member
That means it will still take ages to reach the center. I'm currently 157000LY from the center, even with your max range of 2000LY it will take me roughly 80 warp+black hole travels.

So I've stopped trying to reach the center. I know there is not much there but I still wanted to do it for completionist reasons, but I'm back to playing for other reasons now. Back to farming and searching for that perfect home planet. Just started a NipNip farm on my new freighter too!

The 1.3 update sounds interesting anyway, can't wait to see the full patch notes and maybe a trailer like previous updates.

Yeah, it does take a while. Getting to the center is more a byproduct of how I play instead of the goal,that makes it more bearable I guess. When I get tired of the travel I goof off on planets with the buggies or farm my albumen Pearl farm, maybe buy and trade a few more fighters. I'm about 80,000 light years from the center of my current galaxy.

If I'm stocked up on warp cores and don't need to mine for materials and focus on the travel only, I can do about 10,000 to 20,000 light years( about 10 jumps ) a night with the warp bus and black hole taxi method. What seems to make a difference is picking the farthest black hole system you can reach, a long range jump ship definitely helps.

I'm one of those people that wasn't really surprised by the released product, I enjoyed it, got bored after a while and put it down. Every month or so I would go back to it and play a while until it got old again. The last few updates definitely added to the game in my opinion. Can't wait to see what we get in the update.

Right now I'm on break from this until the update arrives. I'm playing Elite: Dangerous right now.

Fredrik

Getting to the center is more a byproduct of how I play instead of the goal,that makes it more bearable I guess. When I get tired of the travel I goof off on planets with the buggies or farm my albumen Pearl farm, maybe buy and trade a few more fighters.
I wish there was a better way to keep track of where you were after you teleport back to your base. Right now I go jumping about for awhile and then teleport to the home base for some farming when I get tired, the only way to return to my previous travel point is to jump back to the space station I teleported from. I once visited a bunch of other space stations before returning to the longer journey but the teleport point to that space station had been bumped out from the list. :/

SnowDrops

So I gotta say, it was way easier and faster to reach the centre back in the day before the 2 serious updates came in. If I had to do it again now (with all the Thamium needed) I'd probably pass. But the 1.3 Update lets me hope I can get back to Euclid with a Portal and join the Community Hub without having to restart the game entirely :)

Minamu

What's the point of going to the center? Nothing worthwhile happens there anyway, right? The thing that happens seems so useless.

Fredrik

What's the point of going to the center? Nothing worthwhile happens there anyway, right? The thing that happens seems so useless.
It's a completionist thing for me, I play on Normal so I won't get an achievement, it's just one of the last pieces of my own NMS bucket list puzzle.

drh1691

Neo Member

Well, right near the center I found that it is much more likely to find worlds discovered by someone else. I figure maybe some of those people built a base that I could find and visit.

I have not been to the center of a galaxy since before the base sharing update so I have not seen any previously discovered systems in along time. I did see many systems discovered by others in the region near the center the last time I was there.

drh1691

Neo Member
I wish there was a better way to keep track of where you were after you teleport back to your base. Right now I go jumping about for awhile and then teleport to the home base for some farming when I get tired, the only way to return to my previous travel point is to jump back to the space station I teleported from. I once visited a bunch of other space stations before returning to the longer journey but the teleport point to that space station had been bumped out from the list. :/

Yeah, I agree here...

I don't even have a planet base. My base disappeared when the base sharing update released. My farm is on my freighter.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hopefully this is the patch I need to want to play it more thoroughly. We'll see. Really want those patch notes though.

The 1.3 update page went up briefly. Password protected, but the page metadata had some of the text in it (confirmed real, I saw it with my own eyes):
Introducing Update 1.3. Atlas Rises brings a brand new and overhauled central storyline, portals, a new procedural mission system, trade improvements, system economies, joint exploration and more. This update marks the one year anniversary of No Man's Sky, and a lot has changed. Please see Pathfinder and Foundation for previous major updates.

These are so many of the things I've written about on here in the past as needing improvement. They really have been "listening intently". I am really excited for this update now.

edit: more features were found on reddit via the CSS in the page:
- Updated combat
- New exploration mechanics
- Interstellar trading
- New ships
- New story
- New worlds
- Portals
- New/updated Terrain
- Galactic regeneration
- Mission board
- Updated user interface
- new/updated "Visor"
- Visual improvements
- "No tint"
- Update to freighters
- Terrain editing
- Joint exploration

So, let's put this out there.

After this update, would you pay money for 2.0 additions to the game?

At a reasonable price? Without hesitation.
I got my money's worth long before the first update dropped, so everything after was a bonus.
Will they do it? I don't think so. Even with the awesome support the game has had post launch, it still would cause an enormous backlash if they released paid DLC.

Moreche

So, let's put this out there.

After this update, would you pay money for 2.0 additions to the game?
Definitely, this game is something I just really enjoy dipping in and out of and it's always on my hard drive.
Sean and his team deserve the money and respect because they seem to be devoted to making their game were they want it to be.

Top Bottom