• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NO Man's Sky Photo Thread ¯\_()_/¯

OmegaDL50

Quick screeny, everybody say hello to Dave!

8ad6832438.jpg

Only a quick one direct from the ps4 share function.

This is cool. I'm only saying this because my real life name is David as well.

Another picture, biggest creature I've encountered so far.
8f5d83fd9b.jpg

160 kg? That seems super-light for what is basically a giant space cow. Or is the weight tied to the specific gravity of the planet you're on, and the planet being less massive than Earth means everything weighs less? I don't want to find a giant dinosaur and be told that it weighs slightly less than your average sumo wrestler.

CHC

Man the anti-aliasing looks pretty good. Very smooth IQ - and this is before the temporal AA that they mentioned is in the works.

Ansel is a screenshot-taking suite that is integrated into Nvidia GTX 1080 cards...

Ansel is available for both the GTX 9xx and GTX 10xx series as far as I know. It might even be available for the GTX 7xx series, though I wouldn't count on it!

EDIT: Just checked out the nVidia website for Ansel and it actually support everything from the GTX 6xx series through the GTX 10xx series.

shandy706

Dave...the scared....grazing...T-Rex!!

Textures and LOD on PS4 look rough, I'm hoping PC build has some good options.

If not...oh well...game still looks and sounds like an awesome time!

King_Moc

Banned
Sample size too small to note differences...post more please!

That eclipse photo was GORGEOUS!

I'm done until the PC game now, unfortunately, those were my favourite four though. The game looks consistently amazing though, so rest assured people will have plenty tomorrow. There's great looking vistas everywhere.

That ambiance and atmosphere. Incredible

Night time on some of the planets looks great. The colour schemes are gorgeous. That red planet glows red from the other side of the system too. No idea why, must be something in the atmosphere.

And a final one.

I'm hoping for a no UI button on PC.

Based on what?

I've seen speculations like this many times before, and I've even tried arguing (and got no convincing answers and much less evidence for these "measurements").

Official word is that planets are "planet-sized".

It doesn't change anything from a gameplay perspective, I'm just interested in it as "science" xD

I'm interested in the "science" too!

Replied in the ot here so that I wouldn't drag this thread off topic.

King_Moc

Banned
So has anyone seen any moons yet?

Yeah, they've all had atmospheres and life though, disappointingly. Basically just small planets. You do get some interesting vistas though, as the planet it orbits is generally absolutely enormous in the sky.

Blunoise

Yeah, they've all had atmospheres and life though, disappointingly. Basically just small planets. You do get some interesting vistas though, as the planet it orbits is generally absolutely enormous in the sky.
Cool but I think the new patch brings in dead moons, that should be cool

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Thank you all for contributing to this thread! I'm loving the screenshots so far, and am really looking forward to seeing more from the digital folks tonight!

I won't get my LE until tomorrow, unfortunately, so I won't be playing until I get home from work in the evening! I'll live vicariously through your photos until then!

Chabbles

I forgot all about this release and then here it is!. Preordered, i hope amazon hurry the fuck up and dispatch, game is looking real good.

GhostBed

God I wish I had the money for this beauty right now. This will be top priority once I get my PS4 back. Until then I think I'll live vicariously through this thread. Subbed and hoping to add my own shots in the near future.

finalflame

Gold Member
Going through the thread and .. is it just me or is the IQ for this game terrible? Potentially decent art style but .. wow, I expected it to look way sharper, even on PS4 :/

Mahonay

Banned
Going through the thread and .. is it just me or is the IQ for this game terrible? Potentially decent art style but .. wow, I expected it to look way sharper, even on PS4 :/
They are adding temporal AA in the next update for PS4. Didn't make it in the day 1 patch.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Even with screens taken in the PNG format, PS4 games almost always look sharper when on your actual system. I took a bunch of screenshots while playing Uncharted 4, and they don't look nearly as good as when I was playing the game on the PS4.

Some of the shots in this thread have nice IQ, some don't. I don't think it's the game more than picture compression.

Mahonay

Banned
Even with screens taken in the PNG format, PS4 games almost always look sharper when on your actual system. I took a bunch of screenshots while playing Uncharted 4, and they don't look nearly as good as when I was playing the game on the PS4.

Some of the shots in this thread have nice IQ, some don't. I don't think it's the game more than picture compression.
Also this.

King_Moc

Banned

Could be better, but it's on a console. I expect framerate and IQ to not be so hot tbh.

Oh, it's definitely the game. It's no worse than the IQ on most other PS4 games though. The TXAA update should hopefully make it better.

Mahonay

Banned
Could be better, but it's on a console. I expect framerate and IQ to not be so hot tbh.

Oh, it's definitely the game. It's no worse than the IQ on most other PS4 games though. The TXAA update should hopefully make it better.
Ah ok, gotch ya.

finalflame

Gold Member
Out of curiousity, what does it feel like to piss in someone's cereal? Brief exhilaration? A sense of power? Mild amusement? A nice vacation from your personal or professional life?

While I wouldn't be as crass as the poster you're quoting, he's kind of stating the obvious.

For the relatively simplistic art style, the IQ for the game on PS4 looks pretty abysmal. Just a shame...I hope the temporal AA cleans it up a bit. And no, the seemingly poor IQ is not because of compression on the screenshots.

I guess this is a discussion best had in the OT, though, not here.

All I can say to those complaining about the game's visuals is I'm glad you didn't see the game pre-patch. Oh boy, you'd have cried. I booted it up today, now patched, and the first thing I thought was - ''oh my god this looks incredible now, the ground has texture work and there's lifeforms and flora all over the place''. It feels like they patched in 50% of the game and i've been playing the alpha for the past few days haha.

Loving the screens in this thread and the game is so good, especially with the patch.

Mahonay

Banned
While I wouldn't be as crass as the poster you're quoting, he's kind of stating the obvious.

For the relatively simplistic art style, the IQ for the game on PS4 looks pretty abysmal. Just a shame...I hope the temporal AA cleans it up a bit. And no, the seemingly poor IQ is not because of compression on the screenshots.

For a world that's generating around you I think it looks pretty decent.

MikeyB

Aesthetics value relies on more than the mechanical quality of the image.

finalflame

Gold Member
For a world that's generating around you I think it looks pretty decent.

Sure. The real treat will be continued variety and uniqueness within the planets. I do like the dramatic/heavily saturated colors in the game, it looks pretty beautiful to me. I'm stoked to finally have it in front of me on my TV/in motion. I just wish they had pulled off a bit cleaner IQ on PS4, is all.

Aesthetics value relies on more than the mechanical quality of the image.

Yah, but the mechanical quality here leaves a lot to be desired, even if I am kinda digging the overall art style and aesthetics.

Jblanks

This thread is already becoming derailed, page 4.... congrats. This is to show off screenshots not discuss the games graphics. It's right in the OP..

dracula_x

160 kg? That seems super-light for what is basically a giant space cow. Or is the weight tied to the specific gravity of the planet you're on, and the planet being less massive than Earth means everything weighs less? I don't want to find a giant dinosaur and be told that it weighs slightly less than your average sumo wrestler.

Yep, it depends.

W = m*g (W is the weight, m the mass of the object, and g gravitational acceleration)

For example, if you weighed 70 kg on Earth, you weight on the Moon will be only 11.55 kg.

From the OT

e0TrrDF.png

astonishing

Nice shitpost.

Keep the screens coming! Definitely varies wildly in quality, but some great vistas here.

Out of curiousity, what does it feel like to piss in someone's cereal? Brief exhilaration? A sense of power? Mild amusement? A nice vacation from your personal or professional life?

The point of this thread is to share the different planets and creatures that we discover.

But thanks for adding such valuable input.

Yeah, you are all right. Sorry for the shitpost--should have known better.

I'm just so hugely underwhelmed by the look of the game. It just screams outdated and glued together to me.

Hope the game proves to be excellent regardless.

Top Bottom