• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

mokeyjoe

Yes, also the guy needs to do his duty to humanity and make more videos without keeping us in the dark for the next few days.
:p

Yeah some thoughts:

1. I can see why they didn't show a lot of the regular gameplay - it's quite menu heavy I guess. On the other hand I'm more intrigued by that then put off, there seems to be a lot of depth there. And the menus are pretty.

2. His planet felt so creepy and alien. Really isolated and just plain weird. The music really enhanced that too. This may be one of the few games I really enjoy watching streams of, the feeling of discovery is great even second hand.

3. This looks like the kind of game you can lose hours in. There always seems to be objectives, things to do, things to distract you etc.

4. For those who seem to care, I looked for it and the grass does the billboarding thing. I have to say I wouldn't have noticed it though.

5. No sentinels so far.

iddqd

I wish I had not tried Subnautica recently, this looks super similiar.
But who knows, maybe the late game will be worth half the hype.

Mr. F

Banned
Watching this now and it's incredible how this is basically the gameplay demo that would have answered the "what do you do" question slash solved the poor messaging they have had since this game has been announced.

Totally. I feel like they shot themselves in the foot with being so unnecessarily coy from the jump. Unless there's some Fez-level secret element that they've talked around or the actual mechanics have been in flux until relatively late in development, I'm kind of confused at the restraint in the earlier interviews.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is pov really a big deal? As an only console gamer I don't see any problem with it. I find it weird to watch streams when pov is so wide. Although I'm gonna buy a pc in september so maybe its gonna change.

PC peeps love their adjustable FOV.....which is totally valid. I wish the option to adjust console FOV was more prevalent.

HunRevan

I mean FOV... My bad....

Edit: self note "never comment on a hard week of work with a few beers in you."

Edit: And I answered my comment instead of editing. Im gonna bury myself.

On the topic.

Is there a chance to see huge life forms like the snake in one of the very first videos?

SomTervo

Well to be fair I did say:

Anyway the point is moot right now (the guy's not uploading any more videos), and we can definitely disagree (I'm going to be playing to explore the unknown and not to reveal lore), aaaaand we're in the spoiler thread so.

Ah man, must have skimmed that sentence. Most of the post didn't read like that.

Oh well - I'm on board with you generally.

Absinthe

Is pov really a big deal? As an only console gamer I don't see any problem with it. I find it weird to watch streams when pov is so wide. Although I'm gonna buy a pc in september so maybe its gonna change.

Yes FOV can be a big deal. It's difficult to describe unless you're used to a wider FOV and then once you see it everything seems "zoomed in". Also it's nice to see more landscape when you look around.

I wish I had not tried Subnautica recently, this looks super similiar.
But who knows, maybe the late game will be worth half the hype.

Started playing this last month and it's alright so far, though much more limited than NMS. The ability to leave your planet and go to other solar systems/trade mechanics immediately make this more intriguing than Subnautica.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is very similar to the 20-minute IGN video, just this takes place at the very beginning of the game.
How? The IGN demo was basically the same walk around, show you more environments/animals/planets stuff that we understood when the premise was first explained to us.

With this, we have the best look at crafting, progression via your ship, more-than-second-long looks at the menus, upgrades, inventory, "quests" in a sense, etc. It's basically everything they've been hesitant to talk about under the guise of mystery, even though it's all fundamental to the gameplay.

I've been a cynic of this game for years now and all I needed was this to warm up to it.

Totally. I feel like they shot themselves in the foot with being so unnecessarily coy from the jump. Unless there's some Fez-level secret element that they've talked around or the actual mechanics have been in flux until relatively late in development, I'm kind of confused at the restraint in the earlier interviews.
Pretty much, they oversold the mystery of it and how important it is to the experience because they just wanted to perpetually show off how neat their maths are.

Here's what I was talking about:

8gugcZE.jpg

Building outposts might be a thing.
Flavor text/lore more likely

Why do I get the feeling that when I play my first walktrought on a Live Stream I'm going to be live for at least 10 hours non stop lol

Mr. F

Banned
Pretty much, they oversold the mystery of it and how important it is to the experience because they just wanted to perpetually show off how neat their maths are.

It's a bit frustrating because the hesitation and cynicism feels like it could have been completely avoided. To have focused so much on the tech versus the game itself kind of comes off as a lack of confidence in their own gameplay imo.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they were wary of turning people off given how much the survival/crafting genre had blown up in the years since it was unveiled, but even then...weird move.

Seriously, if that's the narrative with what you want to go with.,..

I mean it could just be they want you to discover stuff for yourself, rather than read about it in articles...

Or it could just be they wanted to boast about their mathematics skills.

Aye.

What bugged me about the press demos was that they all felt stage-managed. In a game with 18 quintillion stars or whatever, every single press demo they did back in March/April took place on the same couple of planets.

It was so focused on staying "interesting" and presenting a vertical slice that there wasn't any time to understand the feel of moment-to-moment play, and that's what hampered it. I couldn't tell whether they were selling me a bill of goods.

I'd love to see some lifeless planets for a change. Supposedly they're 90% of the game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Eh.

That's my first impression of watching the footage. Flying around farming minerals just doesn't seem all that appealing to me. Which is strange since I used to and probably still can, Farm XYZ in something like WoW, but i guess that had a sense of online connectivity that this doesn't.

I'm still going to pick it up on PC and see if there's more than just farming planets for minerals, i sure hope so anyway.

mike6467

Seriously, if that's the narrative with what you want to go with.,..

I mean it could just be they want you to discover stuff for yourself, rather than read about it in articles...

Or it could just be they wanted to boast about their mathematics skills.

Aye.

With all due respect I think it's this:

Really? I think that mystery has done half the marketing for them.

Had they come out and said the game was basically Minecraft in an infinite universe (without any construction), they wouldn't have had near the press. It would've been Ark, or Subnautica, or the others with an (albeit huge) twist: infinite galaxy, ship combat/flying, procedurally generated and hugely variant worlds/creatures.

Instead they played it coy and got a ton of media coverage, What DO you do? How amazing could this be? Everyone had their own imagination of this ideal space sim that would be the second coming, and the universe they were showing was amazing and didn't prove or disprove any gameplay ideas. They got a ton of attention for it and I'm certainly interested to see how much true mystery/discovery is in the game after a few weeks.

What bugged me about the press demos was that they all felt stage-managed. In a game with 18 quintillion stars or whatever, every single press demo they did back in March/April took place on the same couple of planets.

It was so focused on staying "interesting" and presenting a vertical slice that there wasn't any time to understand the feel of moment-to-moment play, and that's what hampered it. I couldn't tell whether they were selling me a bill of goods.

I'd love to see some lifeless planets for a change. Supposedly they're 90% of the game.

They aren't going to show the lifeless planets, because that'll play very nicely into the hands of those who have already decided that this game is dull and will quite happily and loudly share their half baked opinions. We aren't going to see anything like thorough examinations of a game like this without a good 10+ hour play through. The reviews will be out soon enough which will lead to better informed opinions and hopefully better informed discussion.

They aren't going to show the lifeless planets, because that'll play very nicely into the hands of those who have already decided that this game is dull and will quite happily and loudly share their half baked opinions. We aren't going to see anything like thorough examinations of a game like this without a good 10+ hour play through. The reviews will be out soon enough which will lead to better informed opinions and hopefully better informed discussion.

On the other hand, not showing the type of content that you claim makes up 90% of your game creates the impression that you have something to hide.

60 fps huh? So much for those rumours of PS4 version being a disaster a while back (well I guess it could have been at that point).

I won't be jumping into this game since it's not quite my cup of tea but I'm interested on reading what people think about it and what they discover.

On the other hand, not showing the type of content that you claim makes up 90% of your game creates the impression that you have something to hide.

Only if you're cynical. The review embargo is before the release date anyway, so if it's not up to snuff you'll have time to make a decision.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
60 fps huh? So much for those rumours of PS4 version being a disaster a while back (well I guess it could have been at that point).

I won't be jumping into this game since it's not quite my cup of tea but I'm interested on reading what people think about it and what they discover.

60 fps is not confirmed.

kiri

See, I was hoping for something like this as I haven't pre-ordered it yet. Now I know that I like the look of the actualy, unfiltered gameplay as played by a real person and I know *exactly* what to expect.

I'll be preordering this weekend.

Kyolux

This seems slightly more interesting to me than what I expected it to be.

Not 100% sold, but I'm considering picking it up now, since I have a few games I want to get rid of anyway and could trade those in I guess if there's any trade-in deals for this.

Still hoping PS VR support is coming even though it's really unlikely at this point.

With all due respect I think it's this:

Had they come out and said the game was basically Minecraft in an infinite universe (without any construction), they wouldn't have had near the press. It would've been Ark, or Subnautica, or the others with an (albeit huge) twist: infinite galaxy, ship combat/flying, procedurally generated and hugely variant worlds/creatures.

Instead they played it coy and got a ton of media coverage, What DO you do? How amazing could this be? Everyone had their own imagination of this ideal space sim that would be the second coming, and the universe they were showing was amazing and didn't prove or disprove any gameplay ideas. They got a ton of attention for it and I'm certainly interested to see how much true mystery/discovery is in the game after a few weeks.
Huh? They were very clear on what you do in the game. Myriad articles, interviews, etc. discussing exactly what the game was, what Sean and co envisioned the game to be, showing off combat, crafting, scanning, etc.

This notion that they were so super coy about the general gameplay and structure of the game isn't accurate at all

I assume that "those who have already decided that this game is dull and will quite happily and loudly share their half baked opinions" are the cynical sort.

Oh I'm personally in, I was talking more about perception.

Yep, exactly.

I understand why the PR/marketing team at Sony don't want Hello Games showing the empty parts of the universe. You need to capture people's attention and most don't have huge amounts of time. It's not a dissimilar practice to movie trailers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Where is this video that people are saying sold them hard on the gane? I need to watch it

iddqd

Started playing this last month and it's alright so far, though much more limited than NMS. The ability to leave your planet and go to other solar systems/trade mechanics immediately make this more intriguing than Subnautica.

I totally agree but it might still get a bit "samey" if I do the same stuff on that other planet. Just a different mineral/animal/stone.

Top Bottom