• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more Arkham games coming says Kevin Conroy

I would gladly play one more game from the Origins team but I'm fine with this.

Time to move on and expand. Another Batman game in a different style. Superman, the Teen Titans, Wonder Woman, there's so much potential.

And of course, Amethyst: Warrior Princess of Gemworld by Omega Force. I expect an announcement within the month.

About 23 000 sold on Steam according to steamspy, might not be enough for them to pursue it really. VR user base is quite small still, and I think specially for a game with the level of polish Arkham VR had, the time spent developing vs the return isn't as good as these larger publishers really want.

Ouch...then again didn't the steam version only come out a few months ago? What about the PSVR version, any good sales data on that?

Didn't play Arkham Knight, but the Arkham series was one of my favorite new IPs last gen. I want a Batman Beyond game so bad from Rocksteady

Kenin Conroy is the last person I will believe on confirmation of a new Batman game.
Origins is referenced in Knight and also a better game than the latter.
It really isn't

Especially when we consider how bug ridden and unfinished Origins was. It was obviously a game rushed out the door to be nothing more than a derivative copy of what came before.

Paganmoon

Ouch...then again didn't the steam version only come out a few months ago? What about the PSVR version, any good sales data on that?

Steam version was released in April, so it's got quite a few months to rack up sales. I'd say it's one of the most sold VR games on Steam still, even with "only" 23 000 sold.

No info on PSVR sales, but the "GuessChartz" site has it at 370 000 sold for PSVR, 345 000 of which supposedly in 2016, which would mean 1 in 3 PSVR buyers would've bought it during 2016, which in turn sounds way too high.

Anyway, point is, with regards to SteamVR sales, it didn't sell poorly imo, it's just not at the level WB Games would like for them to push more behind it probably.

Ravelle

Nah fam you good.

Having said that, it's easily possible they've hired a completely different guy to voice the next Batman and thus Kevin wouldn't be in the loop. So this tells me nothing.

Still, I'm done with Batman in games until they're ready to take that next step:

God damn, yes please!

Detective Comics has been amazing and can't wait for the third TPB next month!

notlikedis.gif :( I have hope WB Montreal are working on that damian wayne game (even though it was rebooted) You go full on batman beyond montreal, you hear us?! :p

Steam version was released in April, so it's got quite a few months to rack up sales. I'd say it's one of the most sold VR games on Steam still, even with "only" 23 000 sold.

No info on PSVR sales, but the "GuessChartz" site has it at 370 000 sold for PSVR, 345 000 of which supposedly in 2016, which would mean 1 in 3 PSVR buyers would've bought it during 2016, which in turn sounds way too high.

Anyway, point is, with regards to SteamVR sales, it didn't sell poorly imo, it's just not at the level WB Games would like for them to push more behind it probably.

Yeah, too bad, high quality experience. Guess they just need a bit more of an install base first before committing. Hopefully the market grows enough over the next few years to attempt another swing at the IP...

Matter of perspective really. Knight is a quality game in the grand spectrum of games, but when compared to the rest of the Arkham sub-series (bar Blackgate), it is not as refined and is more tedious as they try to add more shit to it.

It also had a very tedious launch with all the bugs which didn't help it. It's really unfortunate.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
List is right, just order is reversed.

City best, Origins worst. Not that Origins doesn't have its good points but its let down by a city that's less fun to navigate than its predecessors, brokenly overpowered electro-gloves, and full of once-and-done interior sections.

Not surprising it'll probably be Justice League, and Conroy will still be playable. Whatever Rocksteady is making should be revealed in the next 6 months. We'll see if it makes next Fall though.

Honestly the whole Arkham naming scheme got old anyway, let the Damian game has it's own name.

est1992

We'll probably be hearing what Rocksteady and WB Montreal are up to pretty soon. WB has no more major games left to release after Shadow of War comes out in October. They'll have nothing on their slate. All the other devs underneath them have released games recently, so they're next up.

Sephzilla

Good. Series should've ended after Arkham Asylum

c8Ene56.gif

Hopefully it's the last w/ Conroy and not just the last period. WB really needs to stop leaning so hard to TAS and develop some newer, fresher ideas and motifs to draw from. Never liked Conroy in the Arkham series tbh. His voice just didn't fit a darker/grittier world to me.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Loved all 4 Arkham games but I would rather see what rocksteady can do with a different or new IP

Would be okay with the origin team getting a game, I really enjoyed origin. Especially the art design.

Vulkar59

Kenin Conroy is the last person I will believe on confirmation of a new Batman game.

It really isn't

Especially when we consider how bug ridden and unfinished Origins was. It was obviously a game rushed out the door to be nothing more than a derivative copy of what came before.

The combat may be derivative but the story and boss battles were miles ahead of the Rocksteady games.

spad3

I enjoyed all of them

If I had to rank them though:

1. Asylum
2. Origins
3. City
4. Knight
5. Blackgate
6. VR (too short for my taste. Decent launch title for PSVR though)

BUT...If the folks at Rocksteady aren't working on an Arkham game......what are they working on?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Strange, everygame was critically acclaimed and I'm assuming performed financially well.

mas8705

Honestly, quit while you're ahead. The Arkham games were fantastic, but it was starting to get to a point where it was going to be difficult to keep going on (especially considering how Knight did end).

Go out on top when you can.

*flame shield up*

Origins > Arkham Knight

*ducks*

Honestly... I don't see anything wrong with that. In terms of telling the "Origins" within the Arkham games, they did a well enough job. It never felt like a "downgrade" by any stretch of the imagination and I liked the inclusions that they did, including the Black Mask twist.

There is zero controversy about this statement.

it's Origins > City where it's at. And I firmly believe it.

City wins for me but Origins still has the stronger story and boss fights so I can see making the argument.

Knight was just well produced junk in spots. What I mean by that is that it looks lovely, plays well, etc. but a large bulk of the content was just shit. The Batmobile was a better idea on paper than in the game and well just fuck those never ending tank battles. The lack of worthwhile boss battles, played out Riddler content, etc. It's the only one of the games I didn't 100% for a reason.

Jumeira

Banned
Knight was incredible so I'm in for whatever Rocksteady does next. Easily the best gameplay in the series, especially the predator rooms.

They pioneered the stalking system and combat that Spiderman is borrowing.

I love Rocksteady, I see them as one of the best single player game makers in the industry, the way they meld gameplay and cinematics is just masterful. I cannot wait to see what they have in-store for us, I just wish WB would give us a hint.

Rellik

I'm alright with this. The new Spiderman game will easily sate my thirst for Arkham.

I'm not interested in that nerd. Give me more Batman!! 😠

But I can definitely see the benefit of taking a break from the Batman world for a few more years.

Makes sense, IIRC rocksteady doing other stuff and the origins team... is doing nothing

On one hand, they made a game better than anything Rocksteady ever did. But on the other hand, I remember the game breaking bug I had on it for weeks and weeks. They eventually fixed it but not long after abandoned it still buggy as hell. That wasn't cool.

The combat may be derivative but the story and boss battles were miles ahead of the Rocksteady games.
Boss fights? Sure, but we're talking about sections that make up maybe 5% of the game overall.

Story? Not high praise at all, because its terrible. Great, you made the least crappy Arkham story, congratulations. The story is not the main focus in these Arkham games. I would say Knight is easily better and far better put together as a story. Origins just rips off older Batman stories, is full of holes, and has little tension by being an overly predictable prequel.

Top Bottom