• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Cel-Shading Heroes

I stumbled across this on gamefaqs today.

So a friend and I are working to port the models from No More Heroes into GarrysMod (a modification of HL2 that allows you to import source compatible models and pose them to your liking - or create things with the various props and tools that are available) and we ran across a stunning discovery: The models actually look really REALLY nice without the cell shading.

Now, don't get me wrong - the cell shading is part of the experience that makes NMH look so awesome and I wouldn't have it any other way, but I was outright amazed when he sent me the beta of BadGirl for initial testing. It really makes me wonder what the game would've looked like if the cell shading had been skipped completely (as all this is, is a model port without applying the cell shading filter as a specular or normal map). So, I figured that I'd just drop off this promo image here of the beta port as an example of what we're working with, and if any other characters make it to the beta stage of the porting process, I'll be sure to leave more screenshots (we're currently planning on BadGirl, Sylvia (not sure which version we're porting though) and Travis for sure - as it all depends on how long it takes to get these ports working).

NOTE: for those wondering, yes this image was edited in Photoshop - but the textures on the model were NOT modified whatsoever. This is only a "lighting and color tone" rework, nothing more (read: I don't have the time NOR skill to create a realistic looking fake for something like this, so please don't even go there).

badgirlnoneditbf2.jpg

WTF!? Holy crap!!!

Here's the direct link to the thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=933024&topic=47795726

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm pretty sure this thread just made GAF get a 500 Error :lol

Looks pretty good IMO, can't wait to see other characters without the cel-shading.

Pojo

Banned
I have the best idea of all: give grasshopper a budget and let them develop for the 360/PS3 while keeping the cel-shaded graphics!

Of course, you'd have to sacrifice the thing that made the game awesome, namely the controls. I'll take a shitty looking version and a sequel on the Wii any day.

Dascu

Pojo said:
I have the best idea of all: give grasshopper a budget and let them develop for the 360/PS3 while keeping the cel-shaded graphics!

Of course, you'd have to sacrifice the thing that made the game awesome, namely the controls. I'll take a shitty looking version and a sequel on the Wii any day.
Both your wishes have come true. GHM is working on NMH2 for the Wii and a PC/360/PS3/Wii horror/action game with EA.

rikichi

i like how that looks actually.

shit man, makes me wanna play the game again!

damn, i hope at E3 they'll show a trailer for NMH2. i'm really looking forward to seeing that there.

OnPoint

Cow Mengde said:
I'm not saying they should get rid of cel-shading. I'm just showing off how amazing the game looks without it. It's like a whole new game.

I suppose you have a point. I would just hate to see it go that way. The image does look nice, on the flip side.

SkySonata

Banned
and she does not look like a whore, dammit.

I had an ex that looked like her (except with D-cups) and her hair was more dirty blonde.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
SkySonata said:
How about making the cutscenes realistic but the rest of the game cel-shaded?

That would be jarring.

SkySonata said:
and she does not look like a whore, dammit.

I had an ex that looked like her (except with D-cups) and her hair was more dirty blonde.

Damn dude. Why did she become your ex?

Pojo said:

PRESSING 2 TO BLOCK IS THE WORST IDEA EVER PUT INTO ANY GAME EVER!!!

Mindlog

When I read the title, "Goodbye Horses" immediately popped into my head.

When I saw the picture I immediately thought, "It puts the lotion on its skin."

That's not healthy.

Ive not played the game in a while, but does bad girl have a chest that big in the game?

During my google 'research' for the answer i discovered NMH cosplay...

vcylcp.jpg

6tl8hc.jpg

edit.. even Naomi..

2vw8k5c.jpg

ph15h

Neo Member
Actually... doesn't look half-bad. :p Now do Sylvia :D

I still like the original art style, but its still very good. AND IN HD lol

KevinCow

Banned
pizzaguysrevenge said:
PRESSING 2 TO BLOCK IS THE WORST IDEA EVER PUT INTO ANY GAME EVER!!!
It's been a while since I played the game, but I don't remember pressing 2 to block. I remember it auto blocking when you were locked on. A quick search at Gamefaqs tells me that 2 turned the map on and off.

SkySonata

Banned
Not to generalize, but..... dating those kinds of girls is a curse. You can only imagine the kind of attention they get all their lives. It makes alot of them hate being in public often. So their life becomes a swing of unnatural habits because they hate being social (and rightly so). If you date her, you become the center of her attention. You make it worth it for her and give your all for her. And it's beautiful.....so long as you are there with her.

But that's the problem. You can't be with her 24/7. You have to go to work, go to school, engage family responsibilities, etc. And that's where it all came crashing down. I would have to be gone 1/3 of the day, and in that time she got lonely because she wouldn't want to go out. (She was a nurse so the only time she got out often was during her shift, and then went straight back home). The problem would be that she'd be home and I would have to be out, and so she would get lonely because she wouldn't want to go out with her few friends. So what did she turn to? The internet, and being the fool I was, I never bothered to question what she would do online. Turned out she had tons of accounts on all these 'personals' sites, and sent all these ''extremely nice'' emails to guys from all over the continent. Needless to say I felt my heart skip a few heart beats. I gave her a month to confess with clues here and there, and when she still tried to deny it, I broke things off. A year of intimacy and happiness I had never known before, gone. I was not myself for a few weeks, and so I just tried to keep myself from falling apart for a month, and kept to my duties. When I felt slightly better from the ordeal, her sister in law informed me she began dating another guy 2 days after I broke things off.

The most ironic thing about this time is that I was taking a health class and the professor told me she had been a recent divorcee because she caught her husband engaging in dating sites online. And I brushed it off, thinking it could never happen to me.

Top Bottom