• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes Travis Strikes Again: Robin is not reprising the voice of Travis

After the release of the new trailer for No More Heroes Travis Strikes Again, people here and in social media starting wondering why Travis sounded different than usual. Today Robin posted on Twitter that he apparently hasn't been called to reprise the voice of our favorite assassin with an anime obsession.

"There's this sense of doom running down my spine like it's... Like it's trying to suck the life out of me!"

"Extremely disappointed...Whadaya say, bro? Join me. Let's see how far we can take this. @suda_51 #PerformanceMatters"

"Travis!!!! Travissssss!!!!!! "

"#PerformanceMatters"

394174OldfashionedQuaintBarasingha.gif

13ruce

Banned
He is the guy who voiced Miller from MGSV and Peace Walker!?
Noooo what a shame:/ such a great voice actor.

Watched all boss fights and cutscenes yesterday of No More Heroes and his performance is top notch good.

Still getting the Switch game tho but sad that he can't voice Travis:/

Hopefully Suda changes his mind.
Is the game Nintendo exclusive btw? Because it's for Switch are Nintendo funding the game? If so hopefully they step in.

NotLiquid

The game still sounds incredibly early in development based on Suda still encouraging indie developers to get in touch with him so there's a slim possibility that they just haven't gotten around to getting him roped in yet - but it's still unlikely since securing Downes for NMH2's teaser trailer was one of the first things they did when that game had just entered development.

I don't know what the circumstances are but Travis' voice is part of what makes his character so good. Whoever the new person is.... sounds actually pretty good in their own right - they do a decent job trying to nail the inflection Travis had when under Downes' voice and he sounds pretty good in the uncensored version of the trailer. It's easier to swallow his change as opposed to something as drastic as Hayter > Kiefer. But I have to concur that it sucks Downes isn't back and given the opportunity I'd want him to be back. His voice was part of the reason Travis felt so iconic.

If this was strike-related I'm sure he'd just come out and say it. Maybe he's just too expensive now? Suda's already said that Travis Strikes Again is scaling it back a little bit in comparison to recent high-budgeted GhM titles.

Eolz

Shame, he's an excellent voice actor.
Doubt that RTs/Favs/Suda mentions will change anything, but worth a try at least.

That said, the new actor at least does a decent job at imitating him, it's not like when they changed Snake or Fisher's actors.

DrArchon

Isn't this a strike thing?

Even if it is a strike thing, they could've done what whoever's doing the new LiS did when they couldn't get Ashly Burch. They got her to help choose her replacement so Cloe would at least sound as close as possible to how she sounded in the first game.

But here though it sounds like they didn't even talk to Robin Atkin Downes.

Didn't the same thing happen before with Raiden in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance? I recall that people were asking Quinton Flynn if he was still voicing Raiden in the new game and he was scared that he lost the role or something like that.
Hopefully the media coverage leads to some backlash and pressure, but I doubt it.
Still waiting on that Blazblue Central Fiction English dub...any day now....😭

cj_iwakura

Didn't the same thing happen before with Raiden in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance? I recall that people were asking Quinton Flynn if he was still voicing Raiden in the new game and he was scared that he lost the role or something like that.

Still waiting on that Blazblue Central Fiction English dub...any day now....😭
Lol, that didn't get much press. Aksys mostly got it brushed under the rug.

Even if it is a strike thing, they could've done what whoever's doing the new LiS did when they couldn't get Ashly Burch. They got her to help choose her replacement so Cloe would at least sound as close as possible to how she sounded in the first game.

But did the new guy sound close anyways?

NotLiquid

They should get the guy who voiced Revali from Breath Of The Wild. Dude sounded like Travis in that.

I was about to say maybe it was Sean Chiplock who voiced the new Travis because the new voice could definitely pass for him... but I went on his Twitter and he RT'ed Downes' open tweet to Suda.

Who the hell are these mystery VAs and how come no ones found out yet?

dh4niel

The voice actor is Robin Atkin Downes. OP could've at least used his full name. I hope this is some sort of PR piss take of the David Hayter controversy but I doubt it.

cj_iwakura

The voice actor is Robin Atkin Downes. OP could've at least used his full name. I hope this is some sort of PR piss take of the David Hayter controversy but I doubt it.
Doesn't sound like it. He's using the performance matters hashtag.

I do want to say the new voice actor sounds really alike Robin, but that maybe the audio mixing playing with my ears.

Still, RAD needs to come back. Large part of what made Travis so memorable years laters.

The game is still extremely early in development. They don't even know which indie game worlds will even be in it. Suda was asking indie devs to contact him just a matter of days ago.

I do want to say the new voice actor sounds really alike Robin, but that maybe the audio mixing playing with my ears.

Still, RAD needs to come back. Large part of what made Travis so memorable years laters.

The new version of the trailer made some of the differences more notable, but for the most part I thought it sounded the same.

The strike is going to start impacting a lot more games soon. We haven't really felt the effects yet as games tale so long to make.

I hope they can settle it soon and let talented people get back to work.

I'm not saying publishers should give into all the demands just hurry up and reach a compromise.

LordKano

I don't know who they used for the trailer but I would have swear it was still Robin, it was practically identical.
EDIT : are you sure it's because of the strike ? the guy sounds like he actually wants to be casted again

I was afraid of the OT getting cut off by the longer title. I don't make many threads so I'm still getting used to the limits of the post and stuff.

Sorry.

If you'd like you can contact a mod and ask them to update the title with Mr. Downes's full name.

Travis literally Strikes.

I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

Eolz

The game is still extremely early in development. They don't even know which indie game worlds will even be in it. Suda was asking indie devs to contact him just a matter of days ago.

Yeah, it's really possible it was someone used just for the trailer as well.

Jakten

No offence to the guy voicing Travis in the trailer because its a really good likeness and is probably pretty exciting to be voicing him but I would definitely rather have Robin voicing him if they are able to. Sucks to see this happen.

Top Bottom