• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More "Wait Till Next E3"; 2021's Show Will Define Microsoft's Prospects One Way Or Another

What's the most important thing you feel Microsoft needs to show this E3 for the masses (choose 3)?

• Stellar re-showing of Halo Infinite

Votes: 212 55.9%
  • Reveal and gameplay for Starfield

Votes: 128 33.8%
  • New exclusive Japanese IP reveal

Votes: 37 9.8%
  • New exclusive Western IP reveal

Votes: 63 16.6%
  • Visually "next-gen" gaming exclusives (BMI, Scorn, Exo Mecha, Gunk etc.)

Votes: 144 38.0%
  • More GamePass announcements/partnerships

Votes: 81 21.4%
  • Gameplay from a new secret first-party IP

Votes: 122 32.2%
  • Another major acquisition (WB Games, Sega, etc.)

Votes: 51 13.5%
  • Announcement for VR on Xbox

Votes: 22 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeBudden

I think it's all on Halo Infinite.

If MS could find a way to show off Fallout 5 gameplay at their E3 conference, it wouldn't matter at all if Halo doesn't look acceptable for the public in terms of graphics and fidelity for a next gen Halo.

NullZ3r0

Banned
You know, I initially didn't care for this event and had no expectations but.... not anymore.

I've been listening to a lot of the US gaming media recently (I know, horrible idea) but they have been hyping up Xbox since it's release in November as the only console and brand doing anything right and been putting out calculated articles and tweets about how their PlayStations are collecting dust and they just can't stop playing their Series X.

So, I say fine.

No more fluff. This better be the best damn gaming event in over decade. Anything short of a universal 10/10 and this event is a disappointment.
Everything you read in the media is a lie.

Fluff pieces by "friends in the media" is very common across all segments. Sony has their fair share in their favor as well.

NullZ3r0

Banned

If MS could find a way to show off Fallout 5 gameplay at their E3 conference, it wouldn't matter at all if Halo doesn't look acceptable for the public in terms of graphics and fidelity for a next gen Halo.
Halo Infinite is an open world game that, for whatever reason, needs to run on the shitty Xbox One console. So you can almost bet it will look like garbage.

My hope prior to the unveiling last year was that the game looked like the Discover Hope trailer the previous year. That's the high bar for me. Anything less than Discover Hope quality for Halo Infinite will be a huge disappointment. I'm not expecting much.

After someone greenlit that gameplay demo last year, I no longer believe the people at MS/343 live on the same planet as everyone else.

Halo Infinite is an open world game that, for whatever reason, needs to run on the shitty Xbox One console. So you can almost bet it will look like garbage.

My hope prior to the unveiling last year was that the game looked like the Discover Hope trailer the previous year. That's the high bar for me. Anything less than Discover Hope quality for Halo Infinite will be a huge disappointment. I'm not expecting much.

After someone greenlit that gameplay demo last year, I no longer believe the people at MS/343 live on the same planet as everyone else.
Joe Staten is working with 343 to ship this game, since he's come aboard everything has been going the right way. It's not gonna be the best looking game ever as it's cross gen and runs at 60fps open world design but it will definitely look impressive I'm positive of that.

DaGwaphics

Brutal. But, I agree somewhat. Especially with X1 putting a bit of a ceiling on the whole project.

Papacheeks

Banned
If starfield and halo won't be getting a deep dive, what are the going to showcase for 90 mins?

Gamepass deals. EA, and possibly Ubisoft games coming day to date. Expect lots of third party games coming day to date on gamepass including BF6.

I mean they could surprise us and show gameplay for Fable or something. But I highly doubt it.

E3 is and has always been an event for companies to show off their latest software/hardware and plans to the electronic entertainment industry. It's gone from something that should just be fun and enjoyable for the common gamer to every single person on the internet is an expert critic and if so and so company has a bad showing it's definitely the end of the road for said company.

This is the E3 right? Just like it was the last 10 years for Microsoft. They can keep buying studios all they want, until they show some gamez that blow people away and, you know, release them. It will just be empty promises.

I would wait for E3 2034, it's going to be huge.

MS should get this band to play at their event.

A 90 minute documentary of Spencer buying a new studio.
:pie_eyeroll:

JoeBudden

Semi-open world*, but yeah, its very unlikely Halo Infinite will impress. There's some hope, considering a game like Horizon 2 looks the way it does and its cross-gen.

I really don't think any Bethesda game can mitigate the blow MS will face in the media and public perception in general if Halo doesn't deliver again.

I beg to differ on this; right now while many are aware Bethesda/Zenimax are owned by Microsoft, the hard-linked association between the two still hasn't settled in for a lot of people as it will take time, and as long as games like Death Loop and Ghostwire-type deals continue to happen for PlayStation, it'll take that much longer for the association of MS/Bethesda to fully settle in to see the latter as a 1P under Microsoft's umbrella.

Halo is still seen as Xbox's marquee franchise; it's THE Xbox IP in many people's eyes. Another lukewarm showing for Halo Infinite (in terms of visuals, fidelity, texture quality etc.) at E3 can really stifle future growth of the IP with new gamers, and increase the chance of more OGs dropping out of the community, leading to contraction. That's not what companies want to happen, so it's imperative it has a strong showing that washes out any lukewarm tastes from the 2020 presentation.

If you want a parallel, just look at SEGA during the Saturn era; they may've had industry powerhouses like Virtua Fighter 3 out there with top-tier visuals that did good for the brand, but it wasn't enough to negate the lukewarm showing of various Sonic efforts on their then-marquee console in the face of competition from Sony & Nintendo. While PS1 grew with Crash and N64 stunned with Mario 64, Saturn got....ports of the Genesis/MegaDrive Sonic games, a quirky/niche 3D racing/exploration game and a decent (but not amazing) isometric platformer...which was also a port from Genesis/MegaDrive. And Sonic Xtreme, having an interesting presentation at trade shows up to a point (but still not as impressive as Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot), which ended up getting cancelled.

That did a lot to hurt Sonic's brand worth during the 2nd half of the '90s; another lukewarm showing of Halo Infinite that only appeals to the most hardcore of the fanbase and still lacks the visual fidelity comparable to AAA titles from their chief rival can have a longer-term negative effect on the IP and even Xbox brand going forward (the latter can have that mitigated with some other new marquee title taking up Halo's mantle, though).

Gamepass deals. EA, and possibly Ubisoft games coming day to date. Expect lots of third party games coming day to date on gamepass including BF6.

I mean they could surprise us and show gameplay for Fable or something. But I highly doubt it.

If they make any GamePass plays they need to be major AAA titles; if you look at the new GamePass entries for first week of June I'm sure those are decent/good games, possibly even great games, but none of them are going to gin up a lot of attention outside of the ecosystem, especially considering some like For Honor have been around for years now.

In fact I'd say at least for this month PS Now has better entries thanks to Virtua Fighter: Ultimate Showdown alone, which is also a Day-and-Date for a new release. The last significant major releases into GamePass that were also Day-and-Date were Outriders and MLB The Show '21, but it has to be more consistent on that note.

Semi-open world*, but yeah, its very unlikely Halo Infinite will impress. There's some hope, considering a game like Horizon 2 looks the way it does and its cross-gen.

I really don't think any Bethesda game can mitigate the blow MS will face in the media and public perception in general if Halo doesn't deliver again.

Feel like I have to agree with this; how Halo Infinite shapes up will be a statement to how well the lead management of the Xbox Division are able to curate and nurture a prominent internal 1P studio handling their biggest brand/IP. If it's successful, it'll bring a lot of goodwill not just to Halo and 343i, but also Microsoft and the Xbox division. If, however, it's still visually subpar, still lacks a real visual "punch" and some parts of the gameplay (like the grappling hook) still look stilted/rigid, plus the campaign is mediocre from a scenario gameplay/map level design etc. perspective (the actual story sounds like it'll be great at the very least)....

....well, if that happens, then the whole chain gets hurt from the top and downward. It will do some damage to Halo certainly, but also 343i and even the Xbox brand if appropriate improvements haven't been made and show in motion when they demonstrate the game again, particularly WRT the campaign. That all said, I have faith that the game is in a much better state; the drip of new photos seem generally improved (visual quality could still be better tho even considering it's a cross-gen effort) and some of the gameplay and QoL features sound nice. But we'll have to see how it all comes together.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Can't believe so many people voted Halo. They need new stuff! I own a series X, which is my first Xbox-console. I never bought one before, because I saw it as just a Halo-machine. Sony exclusives were much more interesting to me. I doubt that I'm alone in this.

If the last generation showed one thing, is that people liked Sony's Exclusives a lot more. If Xbox wants to complete, they need some of their own.

So a new Western IP, a new Japanese IP and a bunch of running, soon to be released next gen games is what they need.

Stuart360

Can't believe so many people voted Halo. They need new stuff! I own a series X, which is my first Xbox-console. I never bought one before, because I saw it as just a Halo-machine. Sony exclusives were much more interesting to me. I doubt that I'm alone in this.

If the last generation showed one thing, is that people liked Sony's Exclusives a lot more. If Xbox wants to complete, they need some of their own.

So a new Western IP, a new Japanese IP and a bunch of running, soon to be released next gen games is what they need.
e795d3bfaa35b8843bf27b83e65a111d.gif

JusticeForAll

Gold Member

You might find that mind-blowing, but I think it's just good sense. I can easily afford all consoles and now own a switch, a ps5 and a series X. Most people will only buy one, maybe two. And if they buy two, I think the majority will have a switch as a secondary console.

I like W-RPG's and Microsoft did buy Bethesda and Obsidian. While I did enjoy playing the Halo and Gears games via gamepass, I would never buy a console just for them. The past generation showed that I'm not alone in that.

Last edited:

PooBone

Gimme a release date for Halo Infinite and Psychonauts 2, I'll be happy. But some new IP from those new studios would be a nice bonus.

Havoc2049

As Halo goes, so goes the Xbox. It's the game that makes everything possible. It's the engine of the hype train. It's the way of the Xbox....

VN1X

Banned
So I just bought a Series X which should arrive tomorrow but I'm instantly having buyers remorse. I mean there's literally fuck all out for it, zero, nada, nuthin', zilch!

Microsoft had better deliver this E3 or this thing is going back lol.

DaGwaphics

So I just bought a Series X which should arrive tomorrow but I'm instantly having buyers remorse. I mean there's literally fuck all out for it, zero, nada, nuthin', zilch!

The Xbox store has thousands of titles on it, you should be good.

Greggy

I agree with you. However just to make the wait bearable, get on game pass. Start with Hivebusters, the medium and them some third parties like DMC5, Outriders and Valhalla.
Beyond that, all you have is last gen's catalogue. Sucks at the moment but yeah hopefully E3 brings some specific release dates.

VN1X

Banned
I agree with you. However just to make the wait bearable, get on game pass. Start with Hivebusters, the medium and them some third parties like DMC5, Outriders and Valhalla.
Beyond that, all you have is last gen's catalogue. Sucks at the moment but yeah hopefully E3 brings some specific release dates.
Already played all Gears games but I guess I'll try Halo 5 and Ace Combat 6 which I both haven't played yet. The rest you mentioned I've got no interest in or already own (like Outriders on Steam).

Meh. I'm hoping MS will do a shadowdrop or two of some proper Series X titles (big or small) during E3.

reksveks

Already played all Gears games but I guess I'll try Halo 5 and Ace Combat 6 which I both haven't played yet. The rest you mentioned I've got no interest in or already own (like Outriders on Steam).

Meh. I'm hoping MS will do a shadowdrop or two of some proper Series X titles (big or small) during E3.
What type of games do you like?

Dr.Morris79

So between 2001 to now, what exactly was you expecting from the Series X?

VN1X

Banned
What type of games do you like?
Everything that Sony currently has on offer but sadly you can't get a PS5 anywhere so I settled for the XSX lol.

I'd play Ghosts of Tsushima, Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank and Returnal (huge roguelike fan). Oh well, hopefully MS get their shit in order sooner rather than later!

Greggy

Everything that Sony currently has on offer but sadly you can't get a PS5 anywhere so I settled for the XSX lol.

I'd play Ghosts of Tsushima, Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank and Returnal (huge roguelike fan). Oh well, hopefully MS get their shit in order sooner rather than later!
They need to.
GAMEPLAY, Microsoft. GAMEPLAY!
Can't believe they had the nerve to send us to youtube to watch a "making of" documentary of Hellblade 2 in Iceland during their last showcase.
Xbox Game Studios really get away with a lot.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
E3 is and has always been an event for companies to show off their latest software/hardware and plans to the electronic entertainment industry. It's gone from something that should just be fun and enjoyable for the common gamer to every single person on the internet is an expert critic and if so and so company has a bad showing it's definitely the end of the road for said company.

:pie_eyeroll:
The last one was funny.

Top Bottom