• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No native ports in Super Mario 3D All Stars

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Was anyone anticipating anything different? It was clearly emulated with some updates to the rom files.

That said, some interesting bits here:
-N64 is Nintendo's proprietary emulator but is "patching" on the fly seemingly in pace of changes direct to the rom file
-This is the first time that Nintendo has done GameCube emulation
-Sunshine has an updated rom file instead of the on the fly patching that 64 has
-Galaxy is only emulated in part. The code was recompiled but rendering and audio has been offloaded to an emulator. This is a really interesting approach to things and IMO could offer a peek into what they might do with a Skyward Sword re-release

As far as the value of the package goes-while I certainly want more, I think this will be enough to keep people who just want to play the games happy. As far as emulated re-releases go this is pretty decent; could be better but decent enough.

All of that said-Nintendo is careful to not release anything too "cheap" as it would devalue their brands. These $60 releases, regardless of our perceived value, sell incredibly well and at the end of the day I can respect that-all about that demand curve.

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll all remember their pandering and the extremes they went to on this one.

I used to like GamExplain, but this Mario 3D classic port bullshit stuff was too much.
Loved their defence that it's a remaster based on the definition of remaster in film terms. Well, yes, but the expectations for a video game remaster are rather different to a film remaster these days compared to those PS3 HD Collections.

Last edited:

Fake

PzziJI0.jpg

iconmaster

Banned
You don't need those for native ports though. There's homebrew PC, Switch and even PS2 ports of Mario 64.

What sort of advantages would you hope for from a native port that emulation can't provide? The only thing that comes to my mind is less performance overhead with native, but I can't imagine the Switch will struggle to emulate any of these games at full speed.

If you're looking for hacks like Mario 64 running at 60fps, that's not a question of native or emulated. It's a question of how much one is willing to tinker with game logic, animation and so on.

jts

...hate me...
It makes sense. Switch can run circles around those consoles so those games can run in a wrapper while keeping performance and even gain a few enhancements. Just like in PC people are perfectly fine with emulation of console games.

Hopefully these new emulators open the door for more games from those eras to come over easily to the Switch.

TriSuit666

Banned
MVG's a little incorrect, the game leaked last week from what I can see, but was only made playable in the last 48 hours.

iconmaster

Banned
A big upside here is that Nintendo is now emulating Gamecube and Wii games, which I don't think we've seen from them yet.

Rewriting a game makes that one game work. Writing an emulator enables a whole library.

Ten_Fold

Your local Walmart/target will be sold out day one, an people will praise it. I wish Nintendo did a little more, at LEAST add unlockable games like galaxy 2 or even the DS version of 64, just something man this is lazy too the max. How can anyone be ok with this? I’m a big Nintendo fan boy, but you gotta call it out. This is fucking lazy.

Fake

Its one of the better ones but still not perfect.

I guess no game is perfect even those 10/10 review score. Is always up to the user.

But from tech pespective, KH collection is amazing. Runs at 1920x1080p at 60 fps on base PS4 and runs at native 4k at 60 fps on PRO.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Your local Walmart/target will be sold out day one, an people will praise it. I wish Nintendo did a little more, at LEAST add unlockable games like galaxy 2 or even the DS version of 64, just something man this is lazy too the max. How can anyone be ok with this? I’m a big Nintendo fan boy, but you gotta call it out. This is fucking lazy.
That lazyness is what's worrying me. Hope Nintendo doesn´t turn out into another Valve.

ExpandKong

Banned
Honestly I get wishing they had done more with some of these games (particularly Mario 64), but I don't get why the games being emulated versus running natively is somehow as offensive as some of y'all here are making it out to be.

EDIT: I mean, the GameCube emulator is newly developed by NERD isn't it? That's what I'm reading elsewhere anyway. Emulators don't just spring up out of the ether.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

As much as I'd love to get it, I feel like the whole approach is rather ho-hum. Literally the only plus about it is having the games on your Switch. Because of that I'd probably get it, but I really don't agree with the whole "limited availability" thing.

Birdo

Banned
You mean you want to kill gays?

anyway, what is gay bowser? do we have screenshots or something? a quick search did not return me anything obviously "gay".

In the original Mario 64, mario yells "So long-eh Bowser" when he throws him.

It sounded a lot like he was saying "So long, Gay Bowser" and became a legend/meme.

There are many reports that the original sound clip has been removed from the remaster.

iconmaster

Banned
Honestly I get wishing they had done more with some of these games (particularly Mario 64), but I don't get why the games being emulated versus running natively is somehow as offensive as some of y'all here are making it out to be.

EDIT: I mean, the GameCube emulator is newly developed by NERD isn't it? That's what I'm reading elsewhere anyway. Emulators don't just spring up out of the ether.

Apparently GAF is populated by a lot of top programmers who'll be able to instantly tell the difference on boot-up.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes a modded Switch can run these games no problem.
But I've never payed 60$ for a ROM.

Isn't this like a much more expensive virtual console? Why are people defending this?
VC are literal roms as well yes.

wvnative

I guess no game is perfect even those 10/10 review score. Is always up to the user.

But from tech pespective, KH collection is amazing. Runs at 1920x1080p at 60 fps on base PS4 and runs at native 4k at 60 fps on PRO.

Oh yeah, its runs beautifully, just a small number of bugs were introduced, unlike ratchet though, 95% of people won't notice them.

jigglet

Banned
But GamExplain told me it was a remastered collection because they improved the texture filtering rate.

GameExplain also showed native button prompts - isn't that a sign that it's more than just a rom dump? Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to save myself $60, I'm just confused about what's on offer. I've never been so split about whether to buy or not. What exactly the fuck is Nintendo selling?

Fbh

It looked like a low effort upres from the beginning, so this isn't surprising.

Slightly offtopic...could modders somehow gain access to these emulators and use them to run other games on the Switch?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well that is super disappointing. I was hoping for a remastered versions.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It looked like a low effort upres from the beginning, so this isn't surprising.

Slightly offtopic...could modders somehow gain access to these emulators and use them to run other games on the Switch?

Also GC games run no problem on the Wii U.

Neil Young

I think everyone has been a Nintendo fan boy at some point. It's wacky how we have to preface any criticism towards Nintendo with some sort of caveat.

Nintendo deserves a shit ton of criticism. Their online services are a disgrace, their E Shop is beyond horrible, their recent releases have been sparse and lackluster. But hey everyone, they're making SO MUCH MONEY!! Isn't that great? They are the richest company in Japan, show your fucking fans that put you there some love you greedy cunts. God forbid they put some effort into this release. Fuck, they could have released this piss for 19.99 but they HAD to rip us off. Why? And why are people ok with it?

And I know we will see the typical "stop crying" comments but I would love to hear their justification for Nintendo being absolute shit to their customers besides "because they can".

Top Bottom