• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No native ports in Super Mario 3D All Stars

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Honestly I get wishing they had done more with some of these games (particularly Mario 64), but I don't get why the games being emulated versus running natively is somehow as offensive as some of y'all here are making it out to be.

EDIT: I mean, the GameCube emulator is newly developed by NERD isn't it? That's what I'm reading elsewhere anyway. Emulators don't just spring up out of the ether.

Emulation is the reason SM64 is 720p 30fps and doesn't even fill up your screen. A port could easily have been 1080p 60fps in full widescreen, and could have had other visual improvements on top of that.

I wanted an actual remake, this isn't even a remaster. It's just very low effort, and very disappointing.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I wonder if this is using the same emulator on the Nvidia shield. They already had a bunch of Wii ports on the shield in China.

Last edited:

Fbh

Also GC games run no problem on the Wii U.

Yeah I've seen some stuff.
I looked into Switch modding some time ago but what made me hold back was how emulation still seemed rather lacking. From what I gathered stuff like Ps1 and N64 need you to overclock the CPU in order to run at full speed and people were saying you should only overclock when docked to not bust the battery, at which point it looses a lot of the appeal (portability) and I can just use my PC.

So I was just wondering if modders would somehow be able to gain access to these emulators which apparently run stuff like Gamecube and Wii games at full speed with no overclocking needed. Though I guess it's custom stuff made specifically for these games?

Last edited:

Scotty W

Remember all the dire predictions when ppl discovered that Pokemon on Switch uses the 3ds models? Remember how much it sold? What was it, 6 million in a few weeks?

ExpandKong

Banned
Emulation is the reason SM64 is 720p 30fps and doesn't even fill up your screen. A port could easily have been 1080p 60fps in full widescreen, and could have had other visual improvements on top of that.

I wanted an actual remake, this isn't even a remaster. It's just very low effort, and very disappointing.

Isn't that stuff they could very well do in emulation too, though? I mean look at Mario Sunshine in this same collection, that's widescreen now when it wasn't before.

Are there problems running Mario 64 in widescreen in the PC port that people have been tinkering with the past few months?

I mean I guess that could be a problem with emulation in general, but has anyone who's been playing the game said that's a problem with this collection in particular?

iconmaster

Banned
But those 60 fps hacks have interpolate animations that look wonky, the ports running natively at 60 fps are a joy.

That may be, but it's not an issue of emulation versus native. Mario 64 doesn't run at 60fps without some patching. For example, the PC version "adjusts all of the game's animations to sync with this higher framerate."

The ROM is getting patched either way, and there's going to be a fair amount of art in adapting the game to a framerate at which it was never intended to run. Some hackers are just better at it than others.

GameExplain also showed native button prompts - isn't that a sign that it's more than just a rom dump? Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to save myself $60, I'm just confused about what's on offer. I've never been so split about whether to buy or not. What exactly the fuck is Nintendo selling?
It is a sign that it's more than a ROM dump, but not much more. They added some custom textures here and there, but that video was reaching to call it a remaster imo. Updating the button prompts to match the system is the least I would expect from a package such as this.

Holammer

Remember all the dire predictions when ppl discovered that Pokemon on Switch uses the 3ds models? Remember how much it sold? What was it, 6 million in a few weeks?

What's that got to do with this? They put in a low energy effort when they had plenty of time, money and source code available to make absolutely sparkling 1080/60 versions of Sunshine and Mario 64.
From a game development perspective this is about as lazy as selling gamer girl bathwater. It'll sell, but it's gross.

jaysius

Banned
That may be, but it's not an issue of emulation versus native. Mario 64 doesn't run at 60fps without some patching. For example, the PC version "adjusts all of the game's animations to sync with this higher framerate."

The ROM is getting patched either way, and there's going to be a fair amount of art in adapting the game to a framerate at which it was never intended to run. Some hackers are just better at it than others.

Yea, it is a TON of work, if only there was a group... no a COMPANY that wanted to make a good product to SELL FOR MONEY that could do all that work. Gee... I don't know but it feels like this almost already exists.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Biggest shock of this entire thread was that Mario 64 was a 30FPS Mario game (barely played it myself). I don’t think 30FPS Mario feels good, which is one reason I could never get into Sunshine, even on Dolphin at 4k, people still can’t get that fucking game to run at any higher than 30FPS without breaking other aspects of it.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
you mean actual work doing a good remake at a decent price? nah,not from nintendo,nintendo fans will buy and make damage control anyway
That was the end of my post. Would I like more? Yes, but I won't fault them either. There is a huge market for just an emulated Mario 64. Ultimately Nintendo sees better ROI putting resources into something else. If they are putting those resources into an all new Mario game then probably the right call-that would sell better than a remake; better ROI.

I am simplifying things here and I do want more from Nintendo but I am also not going to say this wasn't a smart or thoughtful decision by Nintendo either.

iconmaster

Banned
Yea, it is a TON of work, if only there was a group... no a COMPANY that wanted to make a good product to SELL FOR MONEY that could do all that work. Gee... I don't know but it feels like this almost already exists.

I agree rewriting the games would have represented a lot more work. I wouldn't agree that it's useful work, since it would afford no discernible benefit to the end user. Rewriting the code doesn't produce higher framerates and resolution in and of itself, and the emulation overhead is unlikely to be noticeable for games this old.

Whether the end product is worth $60 is for me a completely separate question that doesn't hinge on how the ROMs are made to play nice with the Switch hardware.

Redlancet

Banned
That was the end of my post. Would I like more? Yes, but I won't fault them either. There is a huge market for just an emulated Mario 64. Ultimately Nintendo sees better ROI putting resources into something else. If they are putting those resources into an all new Mario game then probably the right call-that would sell better than a remake; better ROI.

I am simplifying things here and I do want more from Nintendo but I am also not going to say this wasn't a smart or thoughtful decision by Nintendo either.
maybe,but if sony or ms did this people wont be so kind

Esppiral

Biggest shock of this entire thread was that Mario 64 was a 30FPS Mario game (barely played it myself). I don’t think 30FPS Mario feels good, which is one reason I could never get into Sunshine, even on Dolphin at 4k, people still can’t get that fucking game to run at any higher than 30FPS without breaking other aspects of it.

With the codes found here

evanft

So Activision can churn out full-on, high quality, high effort remakes of the following:
  • Spyro 1-3
  • Crash Bandicoot 1-3
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2
  • Crash Team Racing
All of this in about three years. And they can do it across almost all platforms for each game. But Nintendo can only spend the time/effort to slap some ROMs on a cart with a emulator for some of their classic platformers?

Why are we giving this company money, again? Cause I'm having a real hard time understanding this.

MastAndo

Gold Member
What an embarrassingly blatant cash grab. Buy a $10 phone clip for your controller of choice if you need to play these games on the toilet.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
maybe,but if sony or ms did this people wont be so kind
Perhaps. Then again I am not so sure that the same level of demand would be there for a Sony/MS title. Every game is different as well. For example, if Square had never ported FF7 before I think they could do the same thing with that title today and there would be excitement-PS1 game in an emulation wrapper.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I think everyone has been a Nintendo fan boy at some point. It's wacky how we have to preface any criticism towards Nintendo with some sort of caveat.

Nintendo deserves a shit ton of criticism. Their online services are a disgrace, their E Shop is beyond horrible, their recent releases have been sparse and lackluster. But hey everyone, they're making SO MUCH MONEY!! Isn't that great? They are the richest company in Japan, show your fucking fans that put you there some love you greedy cunts. God forbid they put some effort into this release. Fuck, they could have released this piss for 19.99 but they HAD to rip us off. Why? And why are people ok with it?

And I know we will see the typical "stop crying" comments but I would love to hear their justification for Nintendo being absolute shit to their customers besides "because they can".
Im a Nintendo fan/aplogist, but even my patience with their business practices have worn out. I can't think of another company that has this much contempt for their own fanbase. Here take the least amount of work done, and pay full price for it. Its like they're trying to make every dollar they missed out on during the failed Wii U experiment. Choke on your mountain of gold coins you cheap sobs.

Goes back to my large Nintendo collection to apologize for my lack of faith....

Last edited:

jakinov

I don't care even if it's emulated as long as it doesn't look like total shit and works reliably on my Switch. The same reason I don't care that a lot of Rare Replay was mostly emulated. It's simply just not cost effective to go in and port the core game and then spend time extending it when you can already get the game running with minimal work.

IMO it could definitely be cheaper though but there is some brand equity in Mario. PS1 games are often sold for $10 and PS2 games for $15 which are emulated. Following along with the generational pricing jumps, the collection should be around $45 but then even arguably less because it's a bundle.

So Activision can churn out full-on, high quality, high effort remakes of the following:
  • Spyro 1-3
  • Crash Bandicoot 1-3
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2
  • Crash Team Racing
All of this in about three years. And they can do it across almost all platforms for each game. But Nintendo can only spend the time/effort to slap some ROMs on a cart with a emulator for some of their classic platformers?

Why are we giving this company money, again? Cause I'm having a real hard time understanding this.

Activision does it to modernize games that people would otherwise not care about simply ported. The Mario games are arguably great without actually extending them.

M_A_C

Preorder also canceled. THPS has me spoiled I guess. I thought it would at least be 1080p 60fps on them.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Nintendo is the only company in the history of humanity that can get away with
1. Premium priced XBOX360 hardware in 2020
2. Full priced XBOX360 games in 2020
3. Not remaking N64 games in 2020
You can hate Sony until your teeth break and your gums start bleeding, they did remake Crash and Medievil, Nintendo won't remake M A R I O because "screw you".
The power Nintendo has over their audience is magical. Dark magic, still magical.

Nintendo is the only company in the history of humanity that can get away with
1. Premium priced XBOX360 hardware in 2020
2. Full priced XBOX360 games in 2020
3. Not remaking N64 games in 2020
You can hate Sony until your teeth break and your gums start bleeding, they did remake Crash and Medievil, Nintendo won't remake M A R I O because "screw you".
The power Nintendo has over their audience is magical. Dark magic, still magical.

7HXB.gif

93xfan

Banned
Banjo kazooie is a goat also. How dare he. And so is crash.

Banjo is a generic feeling game. Simplistic controls with no depth. Nowhere near as good as Mario 64.

Also, too much of the game is spent on looking around every corner for another tiny collectible

Shifty1897

What's that got to do with this? They put in a low energy effort when they had plenty of time, money and source code available to make absolutely sparkling 1080/60 versions of Sunshine and Mario 64.
From a game development perspective this is about as lazy as selling gamer girl bathwater. It'll sell, but it's gross.
I would buy a jar of Mario's bath water.

ZoolNL

Only Nintendo can get people to pay 60 dollar for a few roms. Well done Nintendo. On the other side a lot of fans are defending Nintendo for this brilliant move.

Top Bottom