• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

Just came across this article from Bussiness Insider in which they mention that the Nintendo Switch will not be having many multimedia functions at launch and that Netflix will not be available.

The Switch isn't going to replace your iPad — it's a dedicated gaming machine to the point where it won't have many multimedia functions at launch, Nintendo's Kit Ellis told me. Don't plan to watch Netflix on the Switch, for instance.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nint...tm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

So, the key here I guess is if this is all in the context of the launch features or if it's a definitive decision from Nintendo to keep the Switch as a gaming only device.

This would really be a bummer for me. I really only use my iPad for Netflix and some browsing so I was hoping i could do those 2 basic things with the switch and ditch the bitch ass iPad. Guess that won't be happening.

phanphare

Banned
yeah that and the lack of a web browser are huge blunders for the system. can't believe that this actually came to fruition.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
One of my friends brought this up as something he didn't like about the Switch, but... I dunno. Everyone already has something that does this, and the Switch is a gaming device. I don't really think this hurts or helps it in the grand scheme of things. It's a little weird that it's not there, though.

Are people really interested in watching a movie on a device that may not last the entire movie? Or with a 720p screen? Don't people have better devices at this point. Tablets, chromecasts, computers, etc...

I mean it should include various apps because why not but I can't call it really disappointing.

edit: and yes I know you can watch netflix with it docked I'm just making a lame joke. I just feel like soooooooo much shit can run netflix these days that it's not a big deal.

NYR

Why would I watch Netflix on my Switch when I have a smart TV app, Xbox One, and a PS4 Pro that all support 4K Netflix, plus an iPad and iPhone with better battery life for mobile viewing?

Kudos for product simplification and focus. This should be applauded, stop trying to be everything to everyone. The Xbox One tried this and failed.

wrowa

I'm sure it'll be there following launch. It's just another thing that isn't yet ready and makes you wonder why it feels like they are rushing this device to the market even though they had what felt like an eternity to prepare for this. *shrug*

Dystify

I read somewhere Nintendo is trying to position the Switch as a pure gaming system, to the point where it won't even have a web browser. (No browser is not confirmed I think.) However, I'd still be surprised if Netflix and the like don't arrive on Switch at some point.

Kusagari

Bringing up that "everything does it" doesn't change the fact that this will just make the system look worse to the average consumer.

There's zero excuse for what seems to be Nintendo going out of their way to shun apps like Netflix and Hulu. Not having apps doesn't make the system more of a dedicated gaming device. It just makes it have less options to offer the consumer.

Yeah I'll wait for confirmation, that would far too boneheaded a decision.
Confirmation of what? This Kit Ellis..

Anyway I dont use it but yeah thats an L. Wii u and switch cannot coexist since Nintendo want the switch to replace it better add some parity in some simple features.

kadotsu

Banned
The whole service and app front seems like a total mess. Why the hell did they partner up with DeNA if they still can't deliver? I hope the Switch will at least use a modern process model and utilize multi tasking. It would be embarrassing if they still rebooted into a game application.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am sure it will come later. Netflix would be extremely stupid not to release their app.

bluexy

"However, if you pay for the Nintendo Switch Online subscription, you can view Netflix through your mobile phone app while you play on the Switch!"

The more we hear, the more obvious it is that Switch should have been delayed. Oh well. If early adopters are OK with it, then that's their choice.

jediyoshi

Why would I watch Netflix on my Switch when I have a smart TV app, Xbox One, and a PS4 Pro that all support 4K, plus an iPad and iPhone with better battery life for mobile viewing.

Most of us can't carry around our consoles and TVs with us.

Are people really interested in watching a movie on a device that may not last the entire movie? Or with a 720p screen? Don't people have better devices at this point. Tablets, chromecasts, computers, etc...

I mean it should include various apps because why not but I can't call it really disappointing.

Battery-wise, it should last as long as most comparable tablets.

I have plenty of concerns and reservations about the Switch, but this is not one of them. I have a plethora of ways to watch netflix and browse the web.

meerak

Do you really care? Anyone in this thread? For real?

You don't have 97 devices that play Netflix already? Even my mother has a netflix redundancy problem.

Honestly, you people make me sick. SICK! To my stomach and back.

phanphare

Banned

edit: and yes I know you can watch netflix with it docked I'm just making a lame joke.

when I'm traveling being able to use up a battery that isn't my phone's is preferable and when I'm at home I'd like to be able to watch on the tv using my most utilized device which would be my shiny new gaming system

Kathian

Banned
I get Netflix through BT so meh.

This is a very focused gaming on the go product. Folk need to stop thinking it is a tablet. It is not.

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
I don't really care.. i have at least two devices for Netlix in my everyday backpack let alone at home.
Pretty sure none of the early adopters has a real need fot another multimedia device.

Top Bottom