• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

NYR

Most of us can't carry around our consoles and TVs with us.
And yet you are willing to carry around the Nintendo Switch.

If you actually read my post and didn't skip the very sentence that refutes your sarcastic remark, you would know the answer. Get a phone or tablet if you care about Netflix on the go, there are better and smarter options than the Switch could ever offer when it comes to Netflix.

Switch is coming in hot, I'm assuming its gonna come later since literally every other Nintendo device that can connect to wifi sans the DS had Netflix. Luckily every other electronic device that connects to a screen that I own already does my media things. I'm more worried about whatever browser Switch has, Wii U's browser is amazing.

Pikma

Banned
instead of expanding on what they have done to push their ideas forward these dumbasses seem to go backwards

no miiverse/streetpass or any replacement system, no browser, no non-gaming apps

this thing will be basic as fuck

wrowa

I read somewhere Nintendo is trying to position the Switch as a pure gaming system, to the point where it won't even have a web browser. (No browser is not confirmed I think.) However, I'd still be surprised if Netflix and the like don't arrive on Switch at some point.

It won't have a web browser because both 3DS's and Wii U's web browsers were used as a vulnerability. :p

Can't claim I'd miss it much, though. In the day and age of smartphones, a console browser feels rather redundant. It's almost always easier to just use my phone when I need to search for a solution or whatever when I'm playing a game. It's a shame for use cases like YouTube, though (because YouTube's console apps suuuuck).

I have Netflix on several devices in my house, including all TVs. So I don't really need it on my gaming console or handheld (and I don't like Netflix on consoles because they consume far more power running such Apps than mobiles or TVs itself).

But I am sure Netflix will arrive on Switch in the first few month anyway.

Why would I watch Netflix on my Switch when I have a smart TV app, Xbox One, and a PS4 Pro that all support 4K Netflix, plus an iPad and iPhone with better battery life for mobile viewing?

Kudos for product simplification and focus. This should be applauded, stop trying to be everything to everyone. The Xbox One tried this and failed.

Some don't own a tablet?

Dylan

Do you really care? Anyone in this thread? For real?

You don't have 97 devices that play Netflix already? Even my mother has a netflix redundancy problem.

Honestly, you people make me sick. SICK! To my stomach and back.

I think the general sentiment is that if you are using the Switch as a portable device, it would be nice not to have to also carry an ipad or laptop for netflix. I think most people would find it really convenient if the Switch could just replace their ipad for basic internet functionality.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Here's the real Switch, while I expect eventually it will get Netflix, I no longer do. Canceled sub.

Didn't Laura kate Dale confirm that streaming media wouldn't be available at launch already? I remember SOMEONE saying this before the conference.

KarmaCow

Why would I watch Netflix on my Switch when I have a smart TV app, Xbox One, and a PS4 Pro that all support 4K, plus an iPad and iPhone with better battery life for mobile viewing.

Kudos for product simplification and focus. This should be applauded, stop trying to be everything to everyone. The Xbox One tried this and failed.

This is absurd, having Netflix or a web browser does not make it worse. That makes no sense. They're optional features and the versatility of smart phones/tablets is what made them popular.

flkraven

Why would I watch Netflix on my Switch when I have a smart TV app, Xbox One, and a PS4 Pro that all support 4K Netflix, plus an iPad and iPhone with better battery life for mobile viewing?

Valid question.

Also valid question: why would people buy a switch if they already have a smartphone, tablet, Xbox, PS4, etc

Feep

Banned
Honestly, does anyone *really* care? Was anyone honestly intending to use the Nintendo Switch at their primary method of Netflix viewing?

killroy87

It's not that I expect Netflix on Switch, it's that I expect Netflix on every device that has a screen in 2017.

No reason Switch shouldn't have it.

instead of expanding on what they have done to push their ideas forward these dumbasses seem to go backwards

no miiverse/streetpass or any replacement system, no browser, no non-gaming apps

We don't know that yet. Which is of course a failing, we should know more, but it's too soon to say there will never be anything to replace them.

Remember, 3DS didn't launch with Miiverse.

Ridley327

While it's strange, I get the feeling that Nintendo is barrelling into the March launch without having to stop for stuff that really won't make a big difference if it's not there on day 1. Considering that smart TVs are so commonplace these days, and media streaming solutions are ubiquitous enough to fit right into an open HDMI port, the selling point for yet another device having Netflix isn't as compelling as it used to be.

I've got no doubt in my mind that it will come in due time, but I can't see this swaying anyone's decision one way or the other that it won't be there on March 3.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Don't really care, I have my cellphone if I want to watch netflix away from home.

Such a non issue to me.

So is this like ever or is it like for now? Because if it's like for right now...then okay. I don't think multimedia is a problem that the switch needs fixing right now

BriGuy

If you actually read my post and didn't skip the very sentence that refutes your sarcastic remark, you would know the answer. Get a phone or tablet if you care about Netflix on the go, there are better and smarter options than the Switch could ever offer when it comes to Netflix.
That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter too. I wouldn't waste the space downloading the app.

Wait for actual news on that, fellow.

wrowa

Why should I buy a tablet when I already own a device that would be perfectly capable of streaming Netflix?

Not everyone is you. I know quite a few people that use the Wii U as their go to device for Netflix and YouTube and I'm sure these people would appreciate it if they could continue doing this on the Switch. That's no rocket science, really. There's a reason why Netflix and co are on every device possible.

azyless

I'm not surprised given that BBC iPlayer tweet. But if even Netflix isn't there then I'm not expecting anything, even a web browser.
Seems like they expect you to rely on your "Smart Devices" for literally everything and the Nintendo defense force will wave away everything they do anyway so whatever. Wake me up when the console is at 200€.

Netflix is standard on literally every Internet-connected device that has/outputs to a screen. I don't see how it and other media apps would muddy the focus; Nintendo did far more to muddy the clear messaging of the initial reveal with 1 2 Switch and the Joy-Con focus.

Do you really care? Anyone in this thread? For real?

You don't have 97 devices that play Netflix already? Even my mother has a netflix redundancy problem.

Honestly, you people make me sick. SICK! To my stomach and back.

Seriously I have about 8 devices that have Netflix on it. I really couldn't give two flying fucks if the Switch has it. Put games on it , GOOD games and fast. Don't worry about Netflix , Amazon and so on. Why is this even an issue? You all have smartphones right? Isn't it just fine if the Switch is purely for gaming?

It'd be nice to have, but I can't see myself ever using it to watch Netflix anyways when I can just do the same on my phone (and use a web browser on my phone, too). If I take my Switch anywhere, it will just be to play a game, nothing else.

udivision

Maybe that's fine.

I don't know.

I guess the March release actually didn't mean anything in the end. It wasn't really delaying it past the holidays to make sure everything was ready, it was more like we need to launch it as soon as possible and figure out everything else later.

I use netflix on everything i have so im sure i wouldve used it at some point. It's coming a guess but not at launch is weird some of the things missing are really weird like Really basic things.

yeah that and the lack of a web browser are huge blunders for the system. can't believe that this actually came to fruition.

I don't really understand the criticism on lack of a web browser. I've never once dealt with a console web browser that wasn't complete ass or at the very least wasn't as convenient as just whipping out a smart phone in the middle of a gaming session. Netflix, on the other hand, is not only something that they've already done with relative ease on prior platforms of theirs, but it's also something that absolutely fits with hardware that spends at least a significant portion of its time hooked up to a TV. Why WOULDN'T you want to keep someone engaging with your hardware for longer periods by adding an app that takes so little effort on your part to support? I mean, it's not a huge loss I suppose, but if resources are so limited they can't even put out a Netflix app then I seriously wonder how the rest of this thing will pan out.

Not quite as bad as the PSTV not having Netflix but it's pretty close.

A bif reason I bought a PSTV was to have netfix in my bedroom. I was so Pisces when I found out it didn't have it. It's my fault though, I should done more research. I just assumed that the Vita had it so why wouldn't a PSTV?

Top Bottom