• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2019, unfinished backlog only

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
you might think you are smart, but if you were, you would have became a doctor or lawyer, or some job at the government, and not posting on a game forums.
I'd take the time to pen a witty retort, but these burgers aren't going to flip themselves.

Elcid

Banned
My backlog is so big I'm down with this. Don't need to buy shit. If I can beat Witcher 3, Re0, ReRev2, God of War, and Assassins Creed Syndicate I'll be happy without even opening the other 90 games in my backlog. Bonus is Dead Space 3. I just beat Horizon a couple of nights ago and it was the first game I beat in FOREVER.
Of course instead of playing ANY of the games I said I started Disgaea 5 last night. Also forgot I got to finish FFXV. About 25hrs into that.

kyubajin

Have already a giant backlog, unopened games for various platforms, still I simply cannot pass on:

DOOM: Eternal
METRO Exodus
Rage 2
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Just to name a few, and if for some miracle TLoU 2, Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding come out... you know the drill.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Have already a giant backlog, unopened games for various platforms, still I simply cannot pass on:

DOOM: Eternal
METRO Exodus
Rage 2
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Just to name a few, and if for some miracle TLoU 2, Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding come out... you know the drill.
Why you gotta play 'em at launch?

Just purchase them next year. All of the games you've mentioned (if I'm not mistaken) are single-player focused.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I love the series and bought the game day 1. Just haven't touched it but got the season pass dirt cheap and it reminded me I needed to play it.
Personally, I think the story itself is pretty weak, but the characters themselves, their designs, and of course the improved mechanics were all really enjoyable. Sunk a lot of time into it but I am waiting for a rainy day to really dig into the post-game objectives (like duping flawless Rare 0 gear for my whole team with the Cat Paw or whatever this game's duping mechanic will be, and then stomping on some post-post-game bosses)

Elcid

Banned
Personally, I think the story itself is pretty weak, but the characters themselves, their designs, and of course the improved mechanics were all really enjoyable. Sunk a lot of time into it but I am waiting for a rainy day to really dig into the post-game objectives (like duping flawless Rare 0 gear for my whole team with the Cat Paw or whatever this game's duping mechanic will be, and then stomping on some post-post-game bosses)
That's disappointing! I always play these for the story. I love that they always start super cliche and corny and then evolve drastically over the campaign.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's disappointing! I always play these for the story. I love that they always start super cliche and corny and then evolve drastically over the campaign.
Don't take my word for it, though. Maybe you'll end up loving the story. And like I said, the characters themselves are pretty good, so maybe they'll carry your interest through the story anyway.

ExpandKong

Banned
I’m trying to at least beat two backlog games before buying one new game this year. Feverishly working to finish Symphony of the Night (I know, I know) and maybe Xenoblade 2 before RE2 comes out at the end of the month.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Ratchet & Clank Size Matters
Pac-Man World
Spyro Enter the Dragonfly
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2

Currently playing:
Toy Story 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time

I need to ask DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , our game master: My Pac-Man World 2 copy is faulty. I could play it right to the final boss, but I could not finish the final boss, because of a read error that happened consistently over six tries. The final boss is one of 25 levels. Is it fine if I count Pac-Man World 2 as finished anyway?

Overall, I really enjoyed Pac-Man World 2. It felt more dynamic than Pac-Man World and had good level design as well. The camera is bonkers at times though, going all over the place.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2

Currently playing:
Toy Story 2
Poi Explorer Edition

I need to ask DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , our game master: My Pac-Man World 2 copy is faulty. I could play it right to the final boss, but I could not finish the final boss, because of a read error that happened consistently over six tries. The final boss is one of 25 levels. Is it fine if I count Pac-Man World 2 as finished anyway?

Overall, I really enjoyed Pac-Man World 2. It felt more dynamic than Pac-Man World and had good level design as well. The camera is bonkers at times though, going all over the place.
This is a good question. Feel free to drop the game and consider it finished. It won't count against you.

In the spirit of the rules originally given, there's no stipulation that you have to complete a game that literally won't work. I mean, I suppose the loophole would be that you could scratch all your own games and complete the challenge prematurely, but what maniac would do that? :pie_thinking:

BigBooper

I've become a master at dropping games I don't like. I've had a few sick days so I put some real time in. These are not necessarily in play order, but they mostly are. They were all completed in 2019, though I might have started them earlier, but only playing a little before.

1. Yoku's Island Express - Completed/Dropped at 9 hours. This was fun, but getting 100% is too annoying and slow for me to go through it all. I finished almost all of it's challenges.
  2. Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Dropped after 20 hours. A huge, huge grind with a completely uninteresting story. The lore and environments are great, but everything else really drags.
  3. Yooka: Laylee - Dropped, probably, after 7 hours. I may come back to this one day. I really liked the first world and expanded it and did everything there, beyond that the game shows how cheaply it was made. I haven't gotten to every world, but everything else I've seen is clunky.
  4. Rebel Galaxy - Dropped at 30 hours. Another huge grind game where it takes so very long to get the hugest capital ships and weapons, and then there's nothing worthwhile to fight with them because you're overpowered. I just had enough. I really liked playing it until I didn't.
  5. Metro 2033: Redux - Completed in 9 hours. This is a really good shooter. I played the original release back in 2011 and love it then. Playing this version makes me remember why I loved it. It's such a unique fps.
  6. Steamworld Dig 2 - Completed. I don't know the hour count because I left it running one night. It's a really great game. Getting to the end made me wish they'd had a level randomizer to somehow let me just keep gathering resources. I'll replay this one some day, like I did the first Steamworld Dig.
Currently Playing
  1. Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate - I play this often on PC. No predictions on when I'll be done.
  2. Torin's Passage - Playing through this with my niece. She really likes the old school point and click adventure games. It's a charming game. It's gonna take a while since we don't often have time to play a deep game.
  3. Injustice 2 - Having a lot of fun with the campaign of this. The gameplay has hooked me more than the first one.
  4. Dragon Quest XI - Not completely sure how I feel about this yet. It's the first Dragon Quest I've played and I'm only a couple of hours in.
  5. Jurassic World Evolution - 28 hours in and I'm still enjoying the slow burn grinding out research or digging for fossils. If someone were to ask me if I recommended it, I'd say no because it's so very slow and boring. But even still, I'm going to keep playing and it will probably take me another 10 hours before I finish. I don't know why, but I often like boring games.
  6. Syberia - I'm playing this some in the evenings to wind down before bed. It has a much better atmosphere and story than most adventure games I've played. The puzzles so far are not obtuse and mean, like most adventure games' puzzles.
  7. God of War - I'm taking this slowly because I like the game so much that I don't want to rush. Playing a couple of hours at a time is really perfect for me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've shelved Nobunaga's Ambition Taishi (PS4), Everspace (PS4), and Funghi Explosion (Switch) so far this year in my ongoing resistance to new-to-me-in-2019 games. They will be fun to try next year.

On the plus side, I've already beaten two games and I'm well on my way to beating a third and fourth.

Detective Pikachu is finally done. 9 chapters in total. Great ride. I'd encourage anyone who (a) likes Pokemon or (b) likes fleshed-out adventure games to give it a try. This game is a high-quality effort, far surpassing my expectations for what is essentially a children's game. It is easy. That's my biggest criticism. I think the devs handled the source material very well, though.

I also "beat" Captain Toad (Ep. 1 and 2). Not a bad game, but not a great game. The content is disposable since there's no reason to replay an area once you've beaten it, and that's a big negative mark in my eyes. I don't think I'll go back and clean up the unfinished levels, either, unless my kid needs help on a level.

Terranigma is nearly finished. I'm on the final chapter.

I've picked Monster Hunter Stories back up after a long hiatus. It's more enjoyable than I remember. Maybe it was because I was slogging through all the intro stuff (was 3.5 hours in before I shelved it for months). I invested another 4 or 5 hours into the game this weekend. I enjoy it a lot more now that I have freedom to explore and more "monstie" abilities to use. It's on the easy side, at least where I am in the game (currently doing missions for that Barrioth and girl Rider). The rock-paper-scissors seems annoying at first glance from a purely RPG standpoint, but it totally matches the theme of the game (learn the monster's pattern -> exploit for easy victory).

Most of the mechanics seem tweaked for the sake of Monster Hunter "lore". For instance, you can paintball an enemy in battle for a higher chance of them fleeing back to their den (spawning a new den/dungeon which likely carries an egg for the monster you fought). The "cute" aesthetic is wonderful. Reminds me of a Dragon Quest game.

CI_3DS_MonsterHunterStories_GIF_SwordAttack.gif

Last edited:

badblue

Progress report for Dark Souls 1. It has finally clicked. Instead of being a big confusing mess of WTF, I'm starting to get a handle on the mechanics, leveling and dodging (Just like Piccolo wanted). It's only taken 7 hours to get to this point.

I've just killed the Hydra, and my next boss is the Capra Demon.

bobone

I start every year saying this.
But this year I'll give it a legit effort. There are less and less new games I want each year.
I think I only purchased 2 new games in 2018.

If there really is a true Pokemon game on Switch tho; I'm out.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Progress report for Dark Souls 1. It has finally clicked. Instead of being a big confusing mess of WTF, I'm starting to get a handle on the mechanics, leveling and dodging (Just like Piccolo wanted). It's only taken 7 hours to get to this point.

Not bad. You'll probably struggle through the next couple of areas, but the latter areas of Dark Souls have a really nice difficulty curve to reward you for all the dying and grinding and exploration during the earlier sections. Enjoy the game!

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

Probably the most bullshit boss due to the environment. Stay strong.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
No more new games for me until I beat Bloodborne..... I know, I know. I have just platinumed Spider-Man over the Christmas period.

I got Bloodborne on release and enjoyed it despite it being my first souls game. I got to Rom and could just not beat him. I am now back at it having downloaded on ps plus a few months ago (I traded in my original copy)

I am again struggling to beat Rom having begun from the start. I am level 57 or something so have a lot of health and endurance and a good build with Ludwig’s holy blade up to level 6 I think. Can wreck most normal enemies but am just struggling to beat this pain in the ass again 3 years later!!!! Can get him down to the last bit of health but mess up and have had to go and farm blood vials again. I am determined to beat this boss tomorrow! Such a good game but so very annoying this one particular boss.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No more new games for me until I beat Bloodborne..... I know, I know. I have just platinumed Spider-Man over the Christmas period.

I got Bloodborne on release and enjoyed it despite it being my first souls game. I got to Rom and could just not beat him. I am now back at it having downloaded on ps plus a few months ago (I traded in my original copy)

I am again struggling to beat Rom having begun from the start. I am level 57 or something so have a lot of health and endurance and a good build with Ludwig’s holy blade up to level 6 I think. Can wreck most normal enemies but am just struggling to beat this pain in the ass again 3 years later!!!! Can get him down to the last bit of health but mess up and have had to go and fake blood vials again. I am determined to beat this boss tomorrow! Such a good game but so very annoying this one particular boss.
Rom can be tricky. Some prefer to take it slow and methodical and clear out all the spiders every time (to avoid getting mobbed), while others rush through and kill Rom before they can pose much of a threat.

Good luck! Remember that Vitality is Bloodborne's difficulty slider.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Rom can be tricky. Some prefer to take it slow and methodical and clear out all the spiders every time (to avoid getting mobbed), while others rush through and kill Rom before they can pose much of a threat.

Good luck! Remember that Vitality is Bloodborne's difficulty slider.

Thanks! What do you mean by that, as in the more points you put in vitality, enemies scale with that and are potentially more difficult? I know there are so many mechanics and I don’t think I’ll fully understand all of them!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Thanks! What do you mean by that, as in the more points you put in vitality, enemies scale with that and are potentially more difficult? I know there are so many mechanics and I don’t think I’ll fully understand all of them!
No, nothing scales against your Vitality.

I mention it because you can pump all your "extra" stats into Vitality -- only investing the minimum needed to wield the equipment you want -- and it makes the game a lot easier since you have way more health to tank enemy attacks. The difference between dying in 1-2 hits and dying in 3-4 hits is far more impactful than most players would realize.

acornheadgaming

Neo Member
ATgWmZJ.gif

Two friends and I have already made a pact. But GAF is my friend, too. Do you want to try the challenge?

- Purchasing new games is acceptable. Testing them to make sure they're not lemons is acceptable.
- Otherwise, no playing games released in 2019
- No playing games purchased in 2019
- No "new to me" games, only games that you've already already purchased, already beaten, or at least started it up at some point in the past.
- Starting a new save file is acceptable, in cases where you've started the game but want to begin fresh.

Honor system, obviously. I will track my progress here. Feel free to participate and/or throw tomatoes.

---

Reward Tiers:
"Ultimate Star Platinum" Crusader Medal

original.gif

You have persevered and played 0 new games in 2019. Your capabilities as a Stand are mostly close-range, but that hasn't stopped you from prevailing against every temptation. 2019? A whole year? Time means nothing to you. ZA WARUDO!

---

Triumphant "Dabbing Fortnite Golduck" Participation Medal
giphy.gif

You have maintained a ratio of 10 backlog games to 1 new game. You have evolved from the TV show's joke character into a respectable Pokemon that boasts a smug attitude and respectable moveset.

---

Halfway Decent "Distracted Kanye Meme" Participation polycast acrylic "trophy"
tenor.gif

You were able to manage 5 backlog games for every 1 new game. Eh, genius gets distracted sometimes, you know?

---

Yoshi Yoshi has rightly pointed out there is no tier for people who've already kept their backlog small and tidy.

Therefore, for anyone who can finish their backlog entirely during the year of 2019, I offer:

The "Yagami Light already did all his homework" Certification of Backlog Grooming. If you have completed your whole backlog by the end of 2019, then you are already 10 steps ahead of the rest of us.
original.gif

IM in.

I’ll play / buy only games from last year and beyond. To be honest how I go about buying video games is usually browsing the used section at the video game store anyways !

What about you guys ?

Yoshi

Two more down. Poi Explorer Edition was a magnificent game, many thanks again to TheDuskwalker TheDuskwalker for informing me about the Switch retail release. Best new game experience for me for over a year! Jersey Devil, especially in the PAL version I have played, is a bit more of an acquired taste, due to very long levels, hard to learn controls and really really early 3D visuals (with a lot of large single-colour polygons and a totally fucked up skybox). Still fun to me, but certainly not for people who are <20 years old and are not accustomed to the antics of early 3D. Playing this and Super Mario 64 side by side feels like there's a whole generation in between.

I know I said last time I'd play Toy Story 2 next, but Jersey Devil reached me just in time so I did not had to switch from PS2 to Dreamcast, so I ended up prioritising Jersey Devil. This time I have started Toy Story 2 already, so I will finish this next (on console, Sly 4 could end up being finished earlier though).

Also, I realised that my backlog did not include the first Alice, which was included with Madness Returns as a download (which naturally wasn't on my radar as a physical only buyer. Since it is there, I will play it too, though).

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil

Currently playing:
Toy Story 2
Axiom Verge

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm weirdly doing this, by accident, having been having a bit of a retro January with Cruise For A Corpse, The Nomad Soul and currently KOTOR 1. I suspect that might change when the new PC Yakuza game comes along, my powers of resistence may be lacking there.

acornheadgaming

Neo Member
Two more down. Poi Explorer Edition was a magnificent game, many thanks again to TheDuskwalker TheDuskwalker for informing me about the Switch retail release. Best new game experience for me for over a year! Jersey Devil, especially in the PAL version I have played, is a bit more of an acquired taste, due to very long levels, hard to learn controls and really really early 3D visuals (with a lot of large single-colour polygons and a totally fucked up skybox). Still fun to me, but certainly not for people who are <20 years old and are not accustomed to the antics of early 3D. Playing this and Super Mario 64 side by side feels like there's a whole generation in between.

I know I said last time I'd play Toy Story 2 next, but Jersey Devil reached me just in time so I did not had to switch from PS2 to Dreamcast, so I ended up prioritising Jersey Devil. This time I have started Toy Story 2 already, so I will finish this next (on console, Sly 4 could end up being finished earlier though).

Also, I realised that my backlog did not include the first Alice, which was included with Madness Returns as a download (which naturally wasn't on my radar as a physical only buyer. Since it is there, I will play it too, though).

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil

Currently playing:
Toy Story 2
Axiom Verge

You play jak n daxter ?

RGVNOE

Barely saw this thread, already failed, just bought Ace combat 7, and already have The Division 2 paid for, but good luck to all who do this

badblue

Verdanth Verdanth That method does not work if the games are non physical. I'd love to be able to sell a few of the games I have on Steam or GOG given the chance.

On another note... I beat the Capra Demon first attempt. He killed his own dogs while trying to attack me on the stairs which made things so much easier.

Verdanth

Verdanth Verdanth That method does not work if the games are non physical. I'd love to be able to sell a few of the games I have on Steam or GOG given the chance.

On another note... I beat the Capra Demon first attempt. He killed his own dogs while trying to attack me on the stairs which made things so much easier.

Well you are indeed correct, that's why I buy most of my games physically :p.

For this year, so far I've finished everything I bought, except Resident Evil 0, but I mainly purchased the bundle for REmake, which I finished.

So, looking at things my current backlog looks like this:

Started, and have yet to finish:
Astro Bot
Beat Saber
Shenmue I & II
Monster Hunter World
Valkyria Chronicles

Yet to played, completely sealed:
Nier: Automata
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Detroit: Become Human
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Already pre-ordered:
Resident Evil 2
Kingdom Hearts 3

So yeah, I'm a sinner. I have huge PS4 titles yet to play. Bare with me.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm in, not as much because I have a huge backlog as I'm saving money for a PC for next Black Friday. If I forego a $60 new game purchase each month, that's $660 saved by the beginning of Nov. I do still have AC Odyssey and Spider-Man sealed from the holidays, along with some random Live Gold/PS Plus giveaways i want to try.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm in, not as much because I have a huge backlog as I'm saving money for a PC for next Black Friday. If I forego a $60 new game purchase each month, that's $660 saved by the beginning of Nov. I do still have AC Odyssey and Spider-Man sealed from the holidays, along with some random Live Gold/PS Plus giveaways i want to try.
Any non-2019 titles purchased on a non-2019 date are safe to play if you are shooting for the Ultimate Star Platinum tier.

Glad to have you on board. Feel free to update the thread with your successes and temptations.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I will be subbing to EA Access for a month to try out Anthem, and I may buy that if it's worth it. But for now that's the only major temptation i see on the horizon.

Yoshi

You play jak n daxter ?
I have already played all of them, yes. Except Jak X, that is, but including the two PSP games. I haven't played Jak X, because it is not a platformer and thus not important to my 3D platformer article series.

I have finished another game yesterday, Sly 4. It was fun, but it also was very redundant and had many stupid missions. Also, I hate Murray. Now I have finished 10 out of 44 games I had on the plate for the year (which includes 12 yet-to-be-bought games). So that makes an overall progress of 22.7%, or 31% excluding the yet-to-be-bought games.

Best one so far: Poi Explorer Edition
Worst one so far: Ratchet & Clank Size Matters

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil
Sly Cooper (4) Thieves in Time

Currently playing:
Toy Story 2
Axiom Verge
Sly Raccoon

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Finally signed up to backloggery.com, will have a proper look at it when I get home but I reckon it'll be a good way to get my gaming shit together a bit.

Melubas

This will probably work for me without even trying. The only game I'll play released this year is Resident Evil 2 remake, and how can I not! It looks frigging amazing.

Nickolaidas

I thought about this too, but there's no way I'm skipping a year before playing mk11 and remake2. I do intend to buy the bare minimum number of new games this year.

Girder2.0

Neo Member
I feel the same way but I really need to buy Residential Evil 2. Maybe that will be my only purchase for the first half of 2019 until I can start clearing my backlog.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Finally signed up to backloggery.com, will have a proper look at it when I get home but I reckon it'll be a good way to get my gaming shit together a bit.

I seem to have killed their website. Oops, sorry everyone.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I seem to have killed their website. Oops, sorry everyone.
They have maintenance around this time every day. ;-)

I'm at 100 games left straight on backloggery at the moment and plan to drop that number significantly this year. But I'm certainly got going to not buy any new games. Onimusha I already own, RE2 is on it's way and Seikiro will follow in March. Really looking forward to what I'll be digging out this year. Last year gave me two straight 10/10 (Black Mesa and Zelda: A link between worlds).

I never would have thought it to be so fun to actively work on my backlog. Though LetsPlay really helped me a lot. Every time I simply cannot get into a game I'll finish it by watching a video. Some games I straight up watch immediately as video (like adventures). Super fun!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What's striking is that out of the 475 Steam games and 150 GOG games I have, there's actually a surprisingly small number I can be arsed with. Some are old editions of Football Manager of course, and stupidly I bought 2019 but have concluded, as I did with 2017, that it's no longer for me (why did I buy it?). Some of it is shit that came from bundles. Some of it though is shit that I bought, I geniunely bought, thinking it might be fun. And now I find myself wholly uninterested. It's a poor state of affairs.

Top Bottom