• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2019, unfinished backlog only

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Here is my challenge to myself. Okami, FFX/FFXII and the Crash trilogy I've played through on other platforms but I'm itching for replays on these. All other games are ones I've never started or dropped partway through for various reasons. I don't expect to play through all of these this year, probably won't be able to do half but outside of Tales of Vesperia which I plan on getting eventually I don't expect to buy any other games this year. I tried to strike a balance of different genres, older vs newer games, long and short though I guess I'm a bit RPG heavy. Will probably use a RNG when I'm feeling a bit undecided. This goes against my earlier maxim in another thread in which I usually only have a small number of games at one time but here's to trying something new.
4tkVyLX.png

Edit: Deleted the pic through my imgur account on accident. Uninstalled a game I wasn't really keen on playing (Strider) to make room for Vesperia that I picked up on a discount.

-1 in the hole so far!

Last edited by a moderator:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've maintained my "no 2019 games" challenge so far. Here's what I've been playing to occupy my gaming time:

- Detective Pikachu. Just started Chapter 6. I am learning more about the nefarious 'R' and how it has been causing 'unexplainable' Pokémon rampages. During the last chapter, I interviewed a bunch of vagrant Poké-hobos hiding in an abandoned theme park. Since Detective Pikachu serves as your Poke-translator, he gets to talk a lot which is the best part of the game anyway. It was cool to conduct the investigation entirely through the witness accounts of the Pokemon. I'm nearing the end (9 chapters total).

- Dodonpachi: Daioujou. I am practicing a full chain for stage 4. Blissful.

- Terranigma. I am nearly to the end of the haunted Zombie village (Louran). Just need to power my way through the graveyard and trigger the next section of the game. This part is one of my least-favorite sections of the game. I realize that things don't really open up (in terms of exploration) until the very end, but the whole game itself is fairly short. My save file says 7 hours and I will likely be finished before 20 hours. I'd like to beat this and move on to another unbeaten SNES game, hopefully one that also clocks in around 10 - 20 hours. Suggestions?

- occasional sections of Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World (kids are playing on the SNES Classic and sometimes ask for help)

Detective Pikachu and Terranigma will be done soon. Not sure what I want to move on to next.

Here is my challenge to myself. Okami, FFX/FFXII and the Crash trilogy I've played through on other platforms but I'm itching for replays on these. All other games are ones I've never started or dropped partway through for various reasons. I don't expect to play through all of these this year, probably won't be able to do half but outside of Tales of Vesperia which I plan on getting eventually I don't expect to buy any other games this year. I tried to strike a balance of different genres, older vs newer games, long and short though I guess I'm a bit RPG heavy. Will probably use a RNG when I'm feeling a bit undecided. This goes against my earlier maxim in another thread in which I usually only have a small number of games at one time but here's to trying something new.
FILQZxw.png
This block of titles is your list of 2019 games (other than Tales of Vesperia, which you already mentioned)? Excellent! Please chime in and let everyone know how the challenge is going. Tons of really good games on that list. I'm certain you'll be able to make it.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

I really love this initiative, i will try....i will try to pass Resident Evil 2. But if for some magical reason, Ciberpunk 2077 and TLOU2 comes this year.........................

Im totally out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Best of luck. I ain't skipping Sekiro, Ghost, Ori 2, Doom 2 and Dying Light 2 (if out this year).

ROMhack

I missed this thread initially but I'm with ya.

New games are expensive. I haven't played a lot of older games. I'm poor. Why not.

Last edited:

klosos

Look if RE2 and Metro exodus and possibly Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't coming out this year i would give it a go ( playing Dragon origins again at the mo) but seeing as they are i just cant , just in case.

But best of luck to you guys that are going to do this tho.

Ozrimandias

OK I'm In

I dont think that Ciberpunk and TLOU comes this year. So i wil start to play (and replay) some old games.

I have Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Persona 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Planescape Torment
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Among other obviusly.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
OK I'm In

I dont think that Ciberpunk and TLOU comes this year. So i wil start to play (and replay) some old games.

I have Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Persona 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Planescape Torment
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Among other obviusly.
Great list so far. Is this your first time trying Planescape Torment? I hope you end up enjoying it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
By all means, if you have to make a caveat, participate.

Gold participation medal is 10 backlog games for every 1 new game
Silver participation medal is 5 backlog games for every 1 new game

Or similar rules. You pick. Hey, I may have started the thread, but I don't set the rules. [vis_name][/vis_name] does.

LMAO I just caught this. Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What's your thoughts on GamePass? I bought three years worth last year, so I won't be "buying" games like Crackdown 3 or Ori 2 but they're obviously still coming out in 2019. I'm sure loads of stuff will be getting added to the service this year too besides those.

Do those count as "new" games for my shame-tier, or not?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yup, first time.
Ive know the "Planescape Universe" from the Dungeons and Dragons Campaings, have some books.
Wonderful!

Wisdom and Intelligence are the most important stats if you are aiming to see most of the dialogue choices and side-quests.

What's your thoughts on GamePass? I bought three years worth last year, so I won't be "buying" games like Crackdown 3 or Ori 2 but they're obviously still coming out in 2019. I'm sure loads of stuff will be getting added to the service this year too besides those.

Do those count as "new" games for my shame-tier, or not?
If it's new to you, then it's new. Shoot for the Golduck if you can't go 100% no-new-game tier.

However, I would consider something like a remake of a game you've already played to be fine.

Last edited:
FILQZxw.png

I typically play one 1 game per system at a time, youre inspiring me that i should try something new and just play em all at once!

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I typically play one 1 game per system at a time, youre inspiring me that i should try something new and just play em all at once!
Well I still want to try and play through one at a time, potentially 2 but it's cool to have a bit of a roadmap of games I've been itching to play, some of these for years.

This block of titles is your list of 2019 games (other than Tales of Vesperia, which you already mentioned)? Excellent! Please chime in and let everyone know how the challenge is going. Tons of really good games on that list. I'm certain you'll be able to make it.
Yup! Unfortunately I'm taking 16 credits this semester with a tough lineup of classes and working part-time so I don't expect to make much progress for now but maybe during the summer or a much easier fall semester I'll be able to make some headway. Personally, my enjoyment of games and resistance to burning out skyrockets when I'm busy and not able to play all day so I'm happy forcing myself to be a bit more selective over how I spend my free time.

DDDPachi, I'm going to try to do this with you. I already bought a couple of games on deep discount from the PSN Holiday sale last week so I can't take back those purchases but I will be playing "new to me" games that I have in my backlog/library that I haven't touched yet. About the only game on my horizon right now is Cyberpunk2077 and that's most likely not coming out until 2020 or later anyway.

A few years ago I went an entire year not playing any video or computer games at all. I had some personal stuff going on in my life at the time and had to reassess some things. Completely purging myself of all video gaming for an entire year was the hardest thing I've had to do in my life. I guess that means I've got a pretty good life then! So not playing new games should be a piece of cake. I've got such a huge backlog it's not funny...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DDDPachi, I'm going to try to do this with you. I already bought a couple of games on deep discount from the PSN Holiday sale last week so I can't take back those purchases but I will be playing "new to me" games that I have in my backlog/library that I haven't touched yet. About the only game on my horizon right now is Cyberpunk2077 and that's most likely not coming out until 2020 or later anyway.

A few years ago I went an entire year not playing any video or computer games at all. I had some personal stuff going on in my life at the time and had to reassess some things. Completely purging myself of all video gaming for an entire year was the hardest thing I've had to do in my life. I guess that means I've got a pretty good life then! So not playing new games should be a piece of cake. I've got such a huge backlog it's not funny...
Purchasing games is fine. Sometimes you can't pass up a great deal or a limited-printing copy of a game.

All that matters is not playing any purchases from 2019 (which would naturally include any games launched in 2019).

Report back on your progress as time goes on and let us know what you're playing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My backlog only consist of ~15 games and some of those I have bought this year. How about a "finished all his backlog" tier? I need to reach that to have enough material for my "top 100 3d platformers" series :).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My backlog only consist of ~15 games and some of those I have bought this year. How about a "finished all his backlog" tier? I need to reach that to have enough material for my "top 100 3d platformers" series :).
I have added a new reward tier, accordingly.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have added a new reward tier, accordingly.
Excellent, I will go for it. It would be the first time in many years that I reduce the backlog to zero (or one, I still want to have one game to play at the end of the year...) in a very long time. Since I am a grumpy old man, buying all new games I'm interested in boils down to merely five or six games, so I am positive I will finish those this year, as well :).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Excellent, I will go for it. It would be the first time in many years that I reduce the backlog to zero (or one, I still want to have one game to play at the end of the year...) in a very long time. Since I am a grumpy old man, buying all new games I'm interested in boils down to merely five or six games, so I am positive I will finish those this year, as well :).
Death-Note-Gif-Light-Yagami-Kira-Evil-Laughing.gif

Excellent. Thank you for participating. Please feel comfortable updating the thread with your progress, and see you at the finish line.

chemicals

I didn't feel like making a new thread for this, but I have been replaying some remasters (Darksiders, Saints Row 4, and others) and the jank in the remastered editions break the game. I gave up early in Darksiders because I kept falling through the floor. Anyone else hate remaster jank?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I didn't feel like making a new thread for this, but I have been replaying some remasters (Darksiders, Saints Row 4, and others) and the jank in the remastered editions break the game. I gave up early in Darksiders because I kept falling through the floor. Anyone else hate remaster jank?
What do you mean? I don't play a ton of remasters. Generally, I thought most of the modern remasters were considered pretty solid.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so far behind that I'm not even sure what to do...
One game at a time. Enjoy each one for what it is. Don't force yourself to finish it and if you want to drop it to play something else that's cool too.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
76240df23cad109e645dca50f3652c92e6055321_hq.gif

Welcome aboard. Tell us of your gaming exploits and how you avoid the temptations of new games.
One of the things I did back in the day was set steam to load up into the library, not the storefront where there is always some kind of limited time sale.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Welcome aboard. Tell us of your gaming exploits and how you avoid the temptations of new games.

Well currently I'm looking to getting a gaming computer. I'm not really big into building, but I hope I can get myself to be arsed to check out everything I need to know so I can build a decent one. Then maybe get some 2016-2018 titles, since those have been pretty ground breaking as far as I know. To prevent buying new games I just tell myself it's not worth it... I suppose I'm pretty strong-willed, haha.

badboyyy

Playing Assassins Creed: Odyssey, my level is 57 and i have so much content (because of gold edition), in Soma I put 3 hours, its very good scifi vibe when you are playing with headset and in evening. Today started Zelda Wind Waker on Wii U, wow I love this colorful world and puzzles.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I am at point of no return for both kingdom hearts main Line games
And next is Dream drop distance and Monster boy
If any of the KH games were ported to Steam this year I'd be buying them too. Same with MGS 1, 2 or 3.

Barnabot

I'd love to participate but I had already failed even before participating. I've already preordered RE 2 Remake, DMCV and Ace Combat 7 way before you came with this idea.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I’m pretty much on board with this.I have Starlink, Smash Bros, Blackout, Katamari Demacy, like 3 games on game pass, 5 psn+ games, 3-4 steam games, and my SNES classic to play.

So, Read. My. Lips. No. New. Games.

Except Ultimate Alliance 3

Last edited:
I just realized. It's going to be SO difficult not to check out the Tuesday PSN sales and checking every Friday for flash sales. Ugh. I'm starting to jones already for that new game feeling. Must. Remain. Strong.

I did beat Dad of War tonight though so.... hooray for completing something on my backlog?

petran79

Banned
Only games I plan to play are actually releases of old games (Xseed 3 remaining Corpse Party games for PC), so I do not know if that counts.
Also the new version of Arcana Heart 3 with the Shark girl and Samurai Spirits 3d, but they'll arrive after summer probanly on PC. Monster Boy can wait. Prefer WBML on MAME.

Technically they are all 10+ year old games

Last edited:
I just realized. It's going to be SO difficult not to check out the Tuesday PSN sales and checking every Friday for flash sales. Ugh. I'm starting to jones already for that new game feeling. Must. Remain. Strong.

I did beat Dad of War tonight though so.... hooray for completing something on my backlog?

Purchasing Was allowed Apparently so you could purchase just not play Them :)

ROMhack

May as well make a list so I can tick them off.

My backlog:
Shenmue II
Final Fantasy VII
Smash Ultimate (at least World of Light)
Mario Odyssey
Hot Shots Golf
Transistor
Xenosaga
Golf Story
Virginia
Oxenfree
Bendy and the Ink Machine
AER: Memories of Old
Analogue - A Hate Story
Syberia 2
Simulacra
Wuppo
Layers of Fear
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun Returns
Soul Gambler
Sine Mora EX
The Beginners Guide
Octopath Traveler

Last edited:
Purchasing Was allowed Apparently so you could purchase just not play Them :)

I must have mentally blocked reading that. Because playing games isn't my problem. It's buying them. :) So I'm going to impose extra restrictions on me to not purchase anything unless it's something that I'm going to be playing with one of my kids - I'll make an exception for them. I usually buy my games on deep discounts or play whatever is free from PS+ anyway so I really don't purchase that many Day 1 games.

Top Bottom