• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2019, unfinished backlog only

I'm still in. Not making much (any) progress on my backlog games but I haven't bought any new video games since starting this challenge!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm still in. I'm still plugging away at DOJ and Breath of the Wild while occasionally dipping into random games off my shelf.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Can we get a roll call of everyone still in? I love to tease and tempt y'all, but I know I couldn't do it - it's really an an accomplishment. 2 down, 10 to go!

tenor.gif

just finished Technobabylon im pretty hooked on a sequel arriving soon. because Technobabylon is one of my favorite Wadjet Eye adventure games. despite it being really easy.
I started on Kathy Rain and the first puzzle forces me to refresh my Math knowledge... not sure i will be able to complete this one without walkthrough
been ages since i read about Pi and Prime Numbers. i mean for me its worse enough to do it in my own language but having to figure out what that is in English just complicates it even more for me.

I been playing Snakebird a puzzle game and i had to buy a Addon to that Snakebird Primer which tries to ease the puzzles up for people stuck with a brain of mush.
so technically i am up to 2 new games this year... but Snakebird Primer really feels more like a Tutorial to Snakebird original game. instead of not being stuck after 2 puzzles you get stuck after doing 64 increasingly challenging puzzles... and now i am pretty much stuck in that ... but if i can't beat Snakebird Primer there is no chance i ever get far in Original Snakebird.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Still here. Fired up Kotor 2 last night after some hassle getting it to work (gog version doesn't seem to like my laptop, Steam version has a later patch but gog didn't receive it - annoyingly I thus have to play the Steam version). Interesting start, somewhat transparent tutorial level but still an interesting setup so we'll see where that leads.

Think I'm close to the end of Technobabylon, absolutely loving it. Finished 2, abandoned 1 for being shit, one nearly done, one just started. Only purchase has been the final DLC for KCD ready for when I finally do a proper run through it.

mekes

Finished up with Witcher 3 Blood and Wine. Another good DLC, really enjoyed both as far as the story content is concerned. My only real dislike with the game as a whole is the small bit of input delay on controlling Geralt, everything else is top top notch. PS4 pro version.

I played some more Driveclub also. I still have 4 of the DLC packages to gold star. Driveclub is perfect for long or short play sessions, it’s just good fun either way.

My next main game to try is NiNoKuni 2. I never played the original, I don’t really know much about it at all. I hope it’s fun!

Drake

I failed this one back in January as I bought RE2. No regrets though as that game was amazing and I played it through completely. As far as my back log goes I'm working on 3 games at once and I'm almost done with all of them. Very close to finishing Persona 5, Kingdom Come Deliverance and Death's Gambit. Trying to get through all 3 of these before the 22nd as that's when Sekiro comes out and that will be a day 1 purchase for me. I still do have to play though the Metal gear Solid collection. That'll probably have to wait until summer though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Can we get a roll call of everyone still in? I love to tease and tempt y'all, but I know I couldn't do it - it's really an an accomplishment. 2 down, 10 to go!
Still at it, but pace slowed down a bit, because work on my game has ramped up again with my partners having some more time for it again. Voodoo Vince is half way done and will be finished this week though.

BigBooper

I'm still in it. It's amazing to me how much I don't have an interest in day one playing games since starting this. The latest doesn't mean the greatest.

Rodolink

I spent like 5 or 6 years not playing games on release, literally this whole generation thanks to studying a second bachelor's and a master's degree non stop :S
Just started recently to keep up, beginning with God of War

ROMhack

I'm still in. Just got around to playing through The Beginners Guide last night. It's super short and I intend to finish it tonight after my din dins. Also playing through Octopath Traveler.

I tend to post my thoughts in the 52 games thread.

Last edited:
Hard to be strong seeing DQXI on sale on PSN for $30 when I was so tempted when it came out to buy it day one. Grrrrrr. *There will be other, even BETTER sales on this again!*

Guileless

I'll be with you all in spirit after today as im giving up online forums for Lent. I'll be back in 40 days with a report on my progress in not spending money on games. Happy backlogging.

Guileless

Hard to be strong seeing DQXI on sale on PSN for $30 when I was so tempted when it came out to buy it day one. Grrrrrr. *There will be other, even BETTER sales on this again!*

i had the exact same impulse. But I bet it will be $20 later this year.

Drake

Yeah Dragon Quest is VERY tempting, but I know I won't finish it for months. I can wait for another sale.

i had the exact same impulse. But I bet it will be $20 later this year.
Yeah Dragon Quest is VERY tempting, but I know I won't finish it for months. I can wait for another sale.

Thanks Guys. That helped me resist the temptation more than you may know. I'm in agreement that it will probably be $20 by the end of the year which may make for a perfect game for the end of this year holiday or next January (yeah, I may have to give up on this whole thing by the end of this year when the Black Friday and Christmas deals start rolling in, but I figure if I can wait that long then I've done really damn good!).

Good luck with the no-forums for Lent Guileless. See you when you get back!

Last edited:

Yoshi

Unfortunately, Voodoo Vince does not fullfill its potential. It is a really fun platformer, but the elemental capabilities are severly underused and the robustness of Vince towards funny damage inducers is mostly only used in semi-automated ways. It does have some nice platforming, especially in the end (the most platformy platformer boss ever, I would say!) and it has a really nice charm and funny story to it. But it is just a good game, where it had the potential to be a real gem. Still, I had a lot of fun for the whole duration of the game, so I am glad I have played the game. Next is Blinx 2 (yes, that's a new game I bought, but I am aiming for playing through my whole backlog and merely being conservative with buying new games rather than fully avoiding them. Also I need to play Blinx 2 for my article series).

Best one so far: Poi Explorer Edition
Worst one so far: American McGee's Alice

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Ratchet & Clank Size Matters
Pac-Man World
Spyro Enter the Dragonfly
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil
Sly Cooper (4) Thieves in Time
Toy Story 2
American McGee's Alice
Alice: Madness Returns
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
Sly Raccoon
Blinx The Time Sweeper
Pac-Man World 3
Ty 2
Voodoo Vince

Currently playing:
Blinx 2 Masters of Time and Space
Axiom Verge
Sly 2

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Technobabylon, need to figure out my no 2 game to go with Kotor 2.

So far I've finished:
- Cruise for a corpse (finished)
- Nomad Soul (abandoned - goes to shit half way through)
- Kotor 1 (finished - fucking amazing)
- Technobabylon (finished - excellent though the ending is a bit rushed)

ROMhack

just finished Technobabylon im pretty hooked on a sequel arriving soon. because Technobabylon is one of my favorite Wadjet Eye adventure games. despite it being really easy.
I started on Kathy Rain and the first puzzle forces me to refresh my Math knowledge... not sure i will be able to complete this one without walkthrough
been ages since i read about Pi and Prime Numbers. i mean for me its worse enough to do it in my own language but having to figure out what that is in English just complicates it even more for me.

I been playing Snakebird a puzzle game and i had to buy a Addon to that Snakebird Primer which tries to ease the puzzles up for people stuck with a brain of mush.
so technically i am up to 2 new games this year... but Snakebird Primer really feels more like a Tutorial to Snakebird original game. instead of not being stuck after 2 puzzles you get stuck after doing 64 increasingly challenging puzzles... and now i am pretty much stuck in that ... but if i can't beat Snakebird Primer there is no chance i ever get far in Original Snakebird.

Gemini Rue is really good too if you haven't played it

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm already disqualified, I've beaten the Leon story in the RE 2 remake.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I do have a pretty high ratio of backlog games to new games though. So far this year I've also played:

Ratchet and Clank 3
Doom 2016
Pac Man Championship Edition 2
Uncharted 4
Prey Mooncrash
Smash Bros Ultimate
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Resistance 2
Resistance 3

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Gemini Rue is really good too if you haven't played it

Funny enough I just finished Technobabylon too - might be worth a look as it's in my backlog. Was looking at Deponia as my next one but a quick look and it seems to have some somewhat illogical puzzles...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Kotor 2 is an interesting game. The locations feel bigger and more complex, and there is often no clearly obviously good choice. It's a lot more shades of grey as others have alluded to. Also Kreia is a rather interesting character. One comment struck me - that by helping others we weaken them while strengthening ourselves. In part that's obviously a meta comment on the game mechanic - that we go out and help randoms to get xp and level up, but it's something that has some real-world relevance too. Definitely a game with something to say.

SweetShark

I lost before even start.
Devil May Cry 5 is life.
Next is Resident Evil 2, Fight Knight, Blue Omen Operation, Glitch, Bushiden, Ghost Song, etc etc etc...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Kotor 2 is an interesting game. The locations feel bigger and more complex, and there is often no clearly obviously good choice. It's a lot more shades of grey as others have alluded to. Also Kreia is a rather interesting character. One comment struck me - that by helping others we weaken them while strengthening ourselves. In part that's obviously a meta comment on the game mechanic - that we go out and help randoms to get xp and level up, but it's something that has some real-world relevance too. Definitely a game with something to say.
The morality in KotOR2 was much better, which is a hallmark of Obsidian's style.

My kids have been exploring the Wii library since I last updated, so I've been participating a bit of course. The system is such a well-designed piece of kit. The pointing controls are immediately novel and immediately understood. The motion controls are still a bit weird to them because they've already been groomed on real buttons, d-pads, and thumbsticks. We've been playing a narrow rotation of games:

Wii Sports Resort - my oldest son is obsessed with sword-fighting. He already has that competitive brashness from a few years of playing Street Fighter and Guilty Gear with me, which makes this mode all the more fun. My daughter? Not as big of a fan. They both love bowling and I want to help them get better at Golf and Frisbee.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - my youngest son loves this game and can beat the first two levels. He's 2 1/2. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_horns:

NSMB Wii - a good all-around game they all seem to enjoy.

Myself, I've been playing some Dead Space: Extraction on the side. I'm halfway through the campaign (Ch. 5).

Also playing a bunch of DOJ, of course. I put up another Top 5 highscore which is a sign that I'm getting back into the swing of things. I tend to go weeks if not months without getting a new highscore and then suddenly in a span of 1 week I'll blow all my old scores off the board.

I did take a brief break to also play Mushi Futari (Maniac mode) for a bit. I'm learning more about that mode's scoring system (which is what gives the games longevity). Maybe I'll go for a highscore someday. I'll aim for a score in ESPGaluda first, though.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I've done really well this year for not buying shit. I was this close to buying DOA at launch, but canceled last second. Feeling the itch to get DMC5 today so bad....But I'm telling myself to wait for the inevitable price drop.

ROMhack

FWIW I'm enjoying this a lot. It makes me think about replaying old games a lot more.

P.s.
Publishers hate him!
Find out how shmup obsessed NeoGaffer destroyed the gaming industry...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
FWIW I'm enjoying this a lot. It makes me think about replaying old games a lot more.

P.s.
Publishers hate him!
Find out how shmup obsessed NeoGaffer destroyed the gaming industry...
:messenger_grinning_sweat: I love the click-bait headline. Yes, I'm sure the game industry is shaking in its boots.

mekes

Finished up Ni No Kuni 2 today. Overall I enjoyed it. It has a lot of charm within its presentation but it’s also easy to see where corners were cut. The game has a habit of fading to black and unravelling the story with the audio rather than showing you events in real time. But that’s okay because it makes up for that with a great world to explore with sizeable sub-games that are different genres.

It has a fleshed out city building sub-game that I really enjoyed. It was good to take a break from the story and side missions to focus on that. It’s a nice change of pace. The fight system was also fun, but it’s too easy on normal difficulty, it’s better fun on hard and extreme difficulty. I enjoyed this more than I thought I might. I’ve finished more JRPGs this year than I had done in the last 5 years prior.

7.5 Higgledys out of 10 from me. It’s a good game, good mechanics, good extras, lots of charm. I recommend it to any that are still unsure about giving it a try, especially worth it at the current price of entry.

Whatever comes next for me, it’s got to be a smaller game next. I definitely need a change of pace after focusing on big open world story driven games for the last few.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Finished up Ni No Kuni 2 today. Overall I enjoyed it. It has a lot of charm within its presentation but it’s also easy to see where corners were cut. The game has a habit of fading to black and unravelling the story with the audio rather than showing you events in real time. But that’s okay because it makes up for that with a great world to explore with sizeable sub-games that are different genres.

It has a fleshed out city building sub-game that I really enjoyed. It was good to take a break from the story and side missions to focus on that. It’s a nice change of pace. The fight system was also fun, but it’s too easy on normal difficulty, it’s better fun on hard and extreme difficulty. I enjoyed this more than I thought I might. I’ve finished more JRPGs this year than I had done in the last 5 years prior.

7.5 Higgledys out of 10 from me. It’s a good game, good mechanics, good extras, lots of charm. I recommend it to any that are still unsure about giving it a try, especially worth it at the current price of entry.

Whatever comes next for me, it’s got to be a smaller game next. I definitely need a change of pace after focusing on big open world story driven games for the last few.
I've heard that the story is the weakest part and doesn't really rise to the occasion when you consider all the other content included in the game. Is that impression correct?

mekes

I've heard that the story is the weakest part and doesn't really rise to the occasion when you consider all the other content included in the game. Is that impression correct?

I would say so. The game seems geared towards a younger audience when it comes to systems and story. But where it really won me over was the charm in that simplicity, the sub-games and the challenge of upping the combat difficulty. Now I’ve finished with the game, looking back at it I think its fair to say that despite any flaws, the game never stops being fun and charming with you being able to stop playing the story and focus on other aspects at any time. I think the games biggest plus is the package as a whole. Got a gripe with the story? There’s extra content to delve in. And that content was needed, the city building and army sub-games. I definitely used them as a break from the main story.

The game does an excellent job with letting you travel anywhere at anytime and focus on any aspect of your choosing once you are a certain % through its main story.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I would say so. The game seems geared towards a younger audience when it comes to systems and story. But where it really won me over was the charm in that simplicity, the sub-games and the challenge of upping the combat difficulty. Now I’ve finished with the game, looking back at it I think its fair to say that despite any flaws, the game never stops being fun and charming with you being able to stop playing the story and focus on other aspects at any time. I think the games biggest plus is the package as a whole. Got a gripe with the story? There’s extra content to delve in. And that content was needed, the city building and army sub-games. I definitely used them as a break from the main story.

The game does an excellent job with letting you travel anywhere at anytime and focus on any aspect of your choosing once you are a certain % through its main story.
I'm no stranger to skipping story scenes entirely (Disgaea series, for instance) when I'm playing an RPG for the battle system, or city-building, or whatever. A bad JRPG story is nothing compared to a bad JRPG battle system or a boring JRPG overworld. Thanks for going into so much detail. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

mekes

You’re very welcome DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , and I agree completely with your reply. Game play and the systems a game presents will usually top storyline for me. Not every time, but that’s where I generally place my importance when looking at gaming as a whole.

(y)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You’re very welcome DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , and I agree completely with your reply. Game play and the systems a game presents will usually top storyline for me. Not every time, but that’s where I generally place my importance when looking at gaming as a whole.

(y)
It is a bummer to skip story, and sometimes that's enough to make me give up on a game (JRPGs are particularly guilty of this problem), but I just view it as another annoyance that you choose to overlook out of love for some redeeming characteristic of the game.

The story can be crummy but if I can at least skip the scene and get back to the parts I love, it doesn't have to spoil the whole game. Resonance of Fate is probably the strongest personal example of this that I can think of. Others might name something like Nier. Some games are worth it even when the story sucks, even certain JRPGs.

Somewhere along the line, large chunks of the gaming community fell into a strange belief that if the story wasn't good, it could literally ruin an otherwise enjoyable game.

badblue

I'm out due to a friend sending me a copy of Slay the Spire for my birthday and then wanting to know how I like it (and being offended if I didn't at least give it a try). So I had to play a run.... and somehow have 16 hours played. I don't have any birthdays planned for the remainder of the year, so I don't have to worry about another gift.
But I have not bought a game this year and I'm still slogging through my back log.

Last edited:
Know whats weird? Started playing the recent tomb raider games for the first time, and now want to finish them before starting on something that is actually on my backlog because those, were not.

zenspider

I'm out due to a friend sending me a copy of Slay the Spire for my birthday and then wanting to know how I like it (and being offended if I didn't at least give it a try). So I had to play a run.... and somehow have 16 hours played. I don't have any birthdays planned for the remainder of the year, so I don't have to worry about another gift.
But I have not bought a game this year and I'm still slogging through my back log.

Pretty sure gifts are exempt. Can I get a ruling DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi ?

Pretty sure gifts are exempt. Can I get a ruling DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi ?

I sure would agree that gifts should be exempt - both from counting as having bought a game and even from playing them. If it were me I'd rule that a gift counts as automatically having gone into your backlog. After all - you don't want to look like a jerk (and miss out on future free games!) by not playing a game given to you as a gift. :)

Of course that completely excludes gifts from yourself to yourself. So a "gift from me, to me" does not count as a gift; that's a purchase.

I also think that if someone asks you what you want for your birthday (or whatever occasion) and you respond with a very specific video game that's really kind of also skirting "da rules" if you ask me. Come up with something more original or just tell them to surprise you! (You may end up with a fun video game after all!)

Just my thoughts. Enjoy the game guilt-free. You're still on this ride with us as far as I'm concerned...

ROMhack

On the back of the skipping story in JRPGs, I'm currently doing it in Octopath Traveler and it makes the game a lot better. The battle system is incredibly fun and generally it's a good game but I find the story to be a real slog. It just takes forever to get through and nothing actually happens Thankfully it presents a summary of what happens in journal entries.

I'm usually all about the story but it's true what DunDun says that a bad story doesn't make a bad game. Octopath is an amazing podcast/stream in the background game.

Last edited:

Yoshi

But do you maybe happen to have a christmas planned?

BigBooper

Alan Wake: Finished up Alan Wake for the second, and probably final time. The story was just as nonsensical as I remembered and I like it a lot. The gameplay though was so sluggish it made me really feel the last few hours. I want to get into the American Nightmare after a little break.

Ghost of a Tale: I spent a good five hours in Ghost of a Tale before I got tired of going around in circles. Games should have either an interesting map design with clear points of interest to keep your bearings, or at least have a good guidance system. This game has neither. It looks nice and I liked it for a while, but it burned me out.

Shadwen: This budget stealth game is really cool. Time only passes when you're moving, so you can set up a chain stealth kills swinging from awning to awning with your grappling hook. The budget part comes into the world design, because there's usually only these weird wooden medieval streetlights of building awnings to grapple to. It's very forgiving, because you can instantly rewind if you mess things up. The thing about time only passing when you move though, also means that the actual gameplay is stilted and very mechanical. You have to use your imagination I guess.

de Blob: I started playing this with my youngest nephew who is four. We only went about 10 minutes so far :) but he really likes the music and getting paint everywhere.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Playing gifts is fine.

That's like receiving a bottle of good whiskey and cracking it open to share with the person who gave it.

Last edited:

Yoshi

This weekend, finished Blinx 2, which was a marked improvement over Blinx 1. I did not like the pigs that much, but then again, I hate stealth. But the cats are pretty great this time around, the level design is good and it is fun to play the game. While the first game had some serious issues, I am sad the second game was not more successful. The German translation of the game is hilarious at times though. The arms shop (read: weapons shop) is translated as Shop for arms (the limbs) and one sentence in the end of the game is also completely misrepresented (stating the opposite of what the English version says). If you have an original Xbox and like 3d platformers, Blinx 2 is a good buy, with an uncommon design and good quality overall. The next game, Scaler, will probably not last me long, I am already at 60% completion. It is fun as well though.

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil
Toy Story 2
American McGee's Alice
Sly Raccoon
Blinx The Time Sweeper
Pac-Man World 3
Ty 2
Voodoo Vince

Currently playing:
Scaler
Axiom Verge
Sly 2

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The morality in KotOR2 was much better, which is a hallmark of Obsidian's style.

Absolutely, and what's noticeable is that it's (if I may be so reductionist) critical of both left and right, understanding that the road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions for instance, which is something I suspect you'd not find these days.

I'm playing without the restored content mod (only mods I'm running are to make swoop races and pazaak less shite) and can definitely see they ran out of time. Onderon for instance, that felt somewhat unfinished, though maybe that's something that gets tied up later in the game, but the threads were left hanging as I got the hell out of dodge. Didn't enjoy Duxn much, but finding Nar Shadaa quite fun, albeit a couple of bits are bastard hard. Definitely needs a bit of balancing work there.

Still haven't got a 2nd game running alongside it - had a look at Deponia but it annoyed me so I decided against it. I suspect I may be partly paralysed by choice and partly a bit too engrossed in KOTOR 2. I reckon tail end of the year I might dive back in with dark side runs on KOTOR 1 and a dark side restored content run on KOTOR 2.

Yoshi

Scaler was a pretty nice platformer, with fun grinding mechanics, varied level design and some good ideas in terms of transformations. In the end the battle arena style fights got a bit much and way too long, but outside of that I really enjoyed the game. It is not a top hit, but a consistently fun, albeit short, game. Nest is Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, unless Mad Dash Racing arrives tomorrow, in which case I would first play that to be done with Xbox (as far as I can tell, MDR is the last 3D platformer game I am missing on Xbox).

Finished:
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Pac-Man World
Tak Guardians of Gross
Pac-Man World 2
Poi Explorer Edition
Jersey Devil
Toy Story 2
American McGee's Alice
Sly Raccoon
Blinx The Time Sweeper
Pac-Man World 3
Ty 2
Voodoo Vince
Scaler

Currently playing:
Pac-Man Ghostly Adventure
Axiom Verge
Sly 2

Well i finished a few more games.
and discovered a game I didn't knew existed, which came out in 2014. and was like the epilogue chapter to the Blackwell Franchise.

games finished: 10
4 Kingdom hearts games
Technobabylon
Snakebird Primer
Blackwell Legacy/Unbound
Kathy Rain.
Subnautica

i don't feel like writing much.
but i can say i didn't enjoy playing Kathy Rain as much as i was lead to believe i would, it was to serious and it was about family relations and it just felt a bit i don't know uninteresting to me. but i liked some of the puzzles and the whole Computer thing with floppies/boot up start sequences was a cool nostalgia trip. overall it was done well, but i didn't gave much for the actual story. Especially when the plot revealed itself it felt just so underwhelming. that said i enjoyed it enough to finish it so i guess that is something. i will say it had a pretty nice surreal ending so at least it did something right with the last locations.

Top Bottom