• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social Community Clickbait No new games in 2020, unfinished backlog only

LegionX

Sep 6, 2012
Australia
Got through a couple more from the backlog!

11. Soldier of Fortune

A 20 year old FPS this time.... This was one of the early controversial games of the era due to the fact you could shoot off individual limbs, heads etc... but wow.... The Quake 2 engine.... how far we have come graphically... The models etc are so basic that these days I really wonder what kind of rating this would get.... I certainly don't think people would even give it a second glance... Aside from that, it's clearly dated in its level design etc, but it's still a fun game to complete, as long as you can look past the graphics!!

12. CSI - Hard Evidence

An odd choice possibly... but it's actually an early Telltale game, they did a few of these CSI games early in their career, back when they were putting out the Sam and Max games pretty much. It was released as a complete game, but it DOES play as 5 separate episodes, like a lot of their other games... It has the likeness (and sometimes voices) of actual CSI actors... but as I've never watched the show that wasn't so exciting for me. Once again it's another graphically basic game (1280x1024 was the highest supported resolution as an example), but it kept me entertained. You skip between kind of hidden object type screens, looking for evidence, sections where you talk to witnesses/accused, and times when you are processing evidence.... It's basic but I enjoyed my time... each "case" features a different CSI actor, and takes up to 2 hours I'd say... so I was doing one case a day after work.. and enjoyed it enough for what it is!

DelireMan7

May 22, 2019
Long time I didn't post... Here an update :

My challenge :
No 2020 games (or the strict minimum). I can buy older games as my "physical backlog" is quite limited ( 2 physical games and 1 from PS+ I really wanted to play).

"Physical backlog" :
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (On going)
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • The Last of Us (PS+) Done !
  • The surge (PS+, still don't know if I want to play it or not)

Games completed :
  1. Dragon Age Origins (started early 2019, finished 6th January 20, around 80h)
  2. The Last of us + Left Behind (Started 1st January, finished 19th January 20, 18h30 + 2h20, Survivor Difficulty)
  3. Dark Souls Remastered (thanks to the lockdown, finish a coop playthrough (half NG and full NG+) with a friend)
Well, this game is by far the best game I have ever played. And each time replay it, I am still amazed how magic it is...
Did a Dex/Faith build with Darkmoon bow/miracles and testing a lot of melee weapons. We'll continue a bit in NG++

Currently playing :

• Xenoblade Chronicles (Started 25th January 2020)
Took a break of it to play Dark Souls and a bit of MP games (For honor, Warcraft 3) but was still playing here and there. I have started playing it as my "main game" again and I am now at 62 hours (lvl66/67). Around 1/4 of this time was spend on sidecontent. So I guess I am slowly approaching the end (Just arrived to the Mechonis Capital Agniratha).
Still liking it but want to finish it so I focus a bit more on the main story (which is pretty good so far). I love constantly mixing my party to try new strategies and build my relationship for unlocking the "heart to heart".
Also the OST is awesome.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
I feel like I have reached the git gud point of Sekiro. The Owl boss fight in Hirata estate.

I’ve quit out to the menu screen and got myself a small glass of whisky 😂
That’s more or less Manhood Point in Sekiro. It gets harder, but if you can defeat him you have the alpha dog high test necessary to beat the game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I feel like I have reached the git gud point of Sekiro. The Owl boss fight in Hirata estate.

I’ve quit out to the menu screen and got myself a small glass of whisky 😂
Fun boss battle with some new moves to watch out for. If you've managed to reach that (optional) boss before giving up, you must be doing pretty well.

Reactions: mekes

mekes

Jun 30, 2013
London, UK
Fun boss battle with some new moves to watch out for. If you've managed to reach that (optional) boss before giving up, you must be doing pretty well.
Yeah I was caught off guard! I thought I had a strat going by the earlier fight but he killed me within 20 seconds on each of my first 3 attempts. I need to learn the patterns and cues! And git gud

• Fire
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
Sorry DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi but I've completely fallen off the wagon for this challenge.

I just beat my 8th game that released in 2020 (Trials of Mana). So that's 8/29 = bad.

LegionX

Sep 6, 2012
Australia
13. MotoGP 08

Yea... Even I know this one was just wasting my time.... however... I have a literal moving box full of old PS3 games and now there's one less in there.... I wasn't about to dig deep in to this one, so I just played through a single championship in the premier class, went through all the tracks with qualifying and racing.. and that's me done... No point saying much else.... It was fun enough... but there are many newer versions that are no doubt better... certainly visually at least... as this one is rather plain looking

DelireMan7

May 22, 2019
My challenge :
No 2020 games (or the strict minimum). I can buy older games as my "physical backlog" is quite limited ( 2 physical games and 1 from PS+ I really wanted to play).

"Physical backlog" :
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Done !
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • The Last of Us (PS+) Done !
  • The surge (PS+, still don't know if I want to play it or not) Not interested finally

Games completed :
  1. Dragon Age Origins (started early 2019, finished 6th January 20, around 80h)
  2. The Last of us + Left Behind (Started 1st January, finished 19th January 20, 18h30 + 2h20, Survivor Difficulty)
  3. Dark Souls Remastered (thanks to the lockdown, finish a coop playthrough (half NG and full NG+) with a friend)
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles (Started 25th January 2020, finished 10th May 20, 78h30)
And DONE ! What a great game. Really happy about it. I love the combat system which offer a lot of strategy, especially with the deep customization system (gems, arts, skills, shared skills). Was a pleasure to constantly mix my party/gear to offer new way to fight.
The story was REALLY good. I was so much into it. In some part, I was eager knowing what happen next I couldn't stop playing the main story even so I wanted to do some side content. Full of good and unexpected twists. Was not disappointed at the end. Also I really like how it was delivered : regular short cutscenes all along the main quest is a good way to keep it attractive and build the characters and the party bonds.
Also i was suprised on how good some cutscenes are : some combat scene are really badass and the music made some of them epic !

I loved the characters and how you build up their affinity to unlock the "heart to heart" moments.
I have to mention the Gems production as I spend quite some time on it and took a lot of pleasure to it.

Let's finish with the OST... So GOOD ! JRPG are synonym of memorable OST for me. And this one is fully confirming this rule.
Few of my favorite :
Satorl marsh night (Favorite of the game actually)
Valak Mountain Day and Night
Confrontration with the Enemy (especially when the female voice starts... this made cutscenes epic ! )
This part of "Those who bear their name" (unique enemy / some boss battle theme) got me each time ! Especially when happening during a Chain attack.

Final words : "Man, what a bunch'a jokers "

What to play next :
If I look my backlog, the answer should be Final Fantasy XII but I don't want to jump into another long JRPG immediately.
I never touched the Assassin's Creed franchise... I was tempted with Origins (the Ancient Egypt setting is my thing) but didn't took it in the end. Beginning of this year I was tempted again but wanted first to see the foundations of the franchise. A friend of mine (the same who gave me Xenoblade actually and my Dark Souls mate) gave me Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and Black Flag. I could find the first one for really cheap.

So Assassin's Creed it will be (EDIT : Started the 12th of May). If I like it, I'll do the second as it seems having a general consensus to say it's the best. Then I'll see if I continue with the franchise (But will not play everything for sure).

Also I'll break my rule as this same friend propose me to take Streets of Rage 4 for coop playthrough. The first Streets of Rage is part of my chilhood so I couldn't say no. And the game looks fantastic !

Last edited:
  • Fire

LegionX

Sep 6, 2012
Australia
What to play next :

So Assassin's Creed it will be. If I like it, I'll do the second as it seems having a general consensus to say it's the best. Then I'll see if I continue with the franchise (But will not play everything for sure).
While I can't knock you starting from the beginning (As it's exactly what I do myself), I will put up a word of caution on this one.... the first Assassin's Creed is easily the worst... with a lot of repetition and a number of annoying gameplay/design decisions that are fixed from the second game onwards.... In saying that.. I did enjoy it when it came out... but I haven't touched it since... and the following games are a significant step up.... Good luck anyways! (And I'd say the Ezio trilogy are still my favorites even now, though I haven't played the last couple games to compare those....)

DelireMan7

May 22, 2019
While I can't knock you starting from the beginning (As it's exactly what I do myself), I will put up a word of caution on this one.... the first Assassin's Creed is easily the worst... with a lot of repetition and a number of annoying gameplay/design decisions that are fixed from the second game onwards.... In saying that.. I did enjoy it when it came out... but I haven't touched it since... and the following games are a significant step up.... Good luck anyways! (And I'd say the Ezio trilogy are still my favorites even now, though I haven't played the last couple games to compare those....)
It's what I read/heard about the first game but I like the idea to see the foundations of this long serie.
I think I am easy to content and my expectation are not high so it should do it. But if I don't like it, I'll probably try the second one because I heard only good thing about it.

Let's play and see :)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I am nearly finished with Henry's adventure in Kingdom Come (minus the DLC, which I think I'll skip). Excellent open-world game. It was a lot more on the "simulation" side than I expected. The realism isn't bad, just unexpected. Combat and aiming the bow in particular are still tough. What I love about this game is I can play it for the narrative (following quests) or for the simulation / survival aspects (cooking food, gathering material, hunting, buying/selling for profit, etc).

Next on the list is Red Dead Redemption 2. I followed a buddy's advice and got through the first chapter, which is like a tutorial. Now I'm ready to truly "begin" the game but I wanna finish KCD first.

I wanna circle back again to Sekiro and Bloodborne for another playthrough in each.

mekes

Jun 30, 2013
London, UK
I’m so close to the ending credits of Sekiro. I think I have a plan now, I was running away too much but I’m having better luck staying close. I can smell the credits now!

Edit - I did it on my next try! Phew, finally. Really fun game. I got really pissed off at the final boss, damn thing stressed me out! But in the end I did it with a resurrection and 7 healing gourds remaining 😂

Finishing the game has me hyped up for their next game 👍

Last edited:

Phase

Sep 25, 2019
Been a while since I posted in this thread, but have a few finished games to add to the list.

18. Halo 3 - A quick playthrough for funs.
19. Halo Reach - Had to play on PC.
20. Deus Ex - Was absolutely amazing and was my first time experiencing this masterpiece.
21. Doom 2016 - Loved it. Recently dropped Eternal as it just went full in on aspects I hate and diluted the gameplay imo.
22. Amid Evil - Really cool. The last few levels are a trip.

Phase

Sep 25, 2019
Stealth was my favorite avenue, too. How did you end up dealing with Agent Navarre and Agent Gunther?
I'm not sure if it was a glitch or not (I didn't look it up), but when I retrieved the dragon's tooth I was able to keep it for the rest of the game. That's how I dealt with them lol.

• LOL

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Started Dark Souls Remastered last week and finished it yesterday. 45 hours total. I've ran through about 60% of the game on PC previously and never went back. Game is a masterpiece, but I still prefer DS2.

Phase

Sep 25, 2019
Finally finished Gravity Rush 2 (#23). I had been playing it on and off the past few months. Very similar to the first and I enjoyed it just as much. They stuck to the strengths of the original and I appreciate that.

LegionX

Sep 6, 2012
Australia
14. Golden Axe -Beast Rider

Another old PS3 game completed (so old it's pre-trophys!)
This is a hack and slash type game... I'd say like the God of War series... but much more simple than that... it's also very much from that... drain all the colour and make the world look brown.. era... so it gets visually boring rather quickly... It's also got a pretty rubbish fighting system with very limited moves.. there's a parry system where depending on what colour the enemy flashes, you press the relevant button in return to parry with a hard shot... but unlike other games, it never felt like the timing was quite right.. There were a couple frustratingly difficult parts (not any of the boss fights oddly enough) but otherwise the difficulty wasn't that bad.. certainly not Souls level.. though equally, you never felt that in control of the character.... All up... happy to beat it, sell off the old game, and move on!

mekes

Jun 30, 2013
London, UK
I’ve chosen Greedfall as my next game. I’m not too far into it yet, just 5 hours or so. At the start I had to accept that it wasn’t going to be the most polished game I could play. Textures, voiceovers and controls definitely need a little acclimating to, but there seems to be a lot of charm in the game. I’m having a lot of fun with it so far!

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
I’ve chosen Greedfall as my next game. I’m not too far into it yet, just 5 hours or so. At the start I had to accept that it wasn’t going to be the most polished game I could play. Textures, voiceovers and controls definitely need a little acclimating to, but there seems to be a lot of charm in the game. I’m having a lot of fun with it so far!
I’ve had my eye on that for a while, I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Bakkus

Oct 12, 2014
Norway
Just finished Metal Gear Solid 2; I liked the gameplay, but my head still hurts from all the technobabbling, story arcs and plot twists. The final few hours has no joke more plot twists than you are able to count on your two hands. MGS1 is like Super Mario Bros compared to this game.

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
I'm actually going strong on this. Only game I bought this year was FFX because I wanted to play through some of the main FF titles I missed over the past few years.

It's pretty damn satisfying clearing this old backlog and spending money on other things instead.