• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2021, unfinished backlog only

Do you sign the No New Games Pact of 2021?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great start to the year InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo

I bought my 4yr old son the Super Mario Bros Game & Watch toy for christmas this year, so I've been playing those versions of SMB and SMB:LL here and there, showing the kids helpful tricks and shortcuts. The game is still pretty difficult compared to later NSMB stuff.

Last edited:
+1. (For some reason I'm only counting games after I beat them, I'll reconsider this approach if I start playing games I don't beat. I doubt that will happen, though). Current backlog completed count: 6.

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (via Super Mario All-Stars; played on an original Super Nintendo). This was my first time playing this game ever, and I decided to play it without using warp zones (not that I really know where the warp zones in this game are anyway. Well, at least not yet.) I haven't beaten all of the post-game content yet, but counting it since I've beaten the "main campaign" (rescuing Peach in World 8-4). Currently in World A-2.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but I think this game is something close to a masterpiece. It's infinitely superior to Mario 1, for sure. This is definitely worthy of the "SMB2" title in the original Japanese release.

- God-tier level design. This is perhaps the greatest strength of this game. Every single platform, every single enemy, every single obstacle, has been designed to practically perfection.

- Fantastic challenge. This game is definitely hard -- sometimes brutally so -- I'd jokingly like to think of it as "OG Dark Souls". But I don't think it's ever unfair or cheap. You essentially play levels enough that, when you finally beat them, you have more or less mastered them. An aspect of the game is that it rewards you for going fast and for being precise; if you slow down or hesitate, you can still get past obstacles, but it will definitely be more challenging. So if you haven't played this game, you'll likely die a few times at each level, and then when you have mastered the layout, it's a free run. And that's where the game feels best.

- Plenty of surprises. This game may as well be called "Super Mario Bros: Troll Edition." Some levels have a wind factor (yes, wind) that can wreck the landing of your jumps if you're not careful. Some levels have a "fake Bowser" before the real Bowser (so yes, 2 Bowsers in a single level). There are springs that shoot you sky high, to the point of you not being able to see your character on the screen for a few seconds -- good luck landing correctly on the first couple of tries. And probably one of my favorite video game related trolls of all time: there are warp pipes that warp you... backwards. Both within the level and to a previous World. I entered a pipe in... I think it was World 3-1. And it warped me back to World 1. I couldn't quite even get "WTF" out of my mouth because I was laughing the whole time. Bravo, designers... bravo.

- Massive replayability. Another shining aspect of this game. Since there were several levels I played multiple times, interestingly enough almost every playthrough of a level played ever-so-slightly differently (and sometimes, very differently). There's a crazy amount of RNG in this game: Bullet Bills can have very different patterns, Cheep Cheep flying or water spawn points can be very different, etc. And that was just my playthrough with Luigi; Luigi and Mario actually behave very differently in this game (Luigi jumps higher but seems more slippery/harder to stop). When I want to get my Mario 1 fix I may actually be coming back to this game instead of the original Mario 1.

Given the slightly different physics in the Super Nintendo version, I do wonder how this game handled in the original NES version (I bought it on Wii Virtual Console before that service shut down a few years ago).

Anyway, on to Super Mario Bros. 2 in Super Mario All-Stars. I'm also playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 (as my "main" game) and the first Crash Bandicoot as part of the N-Sane Trilogy, playing both of those on PC.

Cheers!

PS: Dumb question -- does anyone know of a cheap/free photo hosting service? I'd like to post a picture related to the game I'm playing from time to time.

Last edited:

Phase

+1. (For some reason I'm only counting games after I beat them, I'll reconsider this approach if I start playing games I don't beat. I doubt that will happen, though). Current backlog completed count: 6.

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (via Super Mario All-Stars; played on an original Super Nintendo). This was my first time playing this game ever, and I decided to play it without using warp zones (not that I really know where the warp zones in this game are anyway. Well, at least not yet.) I haven't beaten all of the post-game content yet, but counting it since I've beaten the "main campaign" (rescuing Peach in World 8-4). Currently in World A-2.

I might be getting ahead of myself, but I think this game is something close to a masterpiece. It's infinitely superior to Mario 1, for sure. This is definitely worthy of the "SMB2" title in the original Japanese release.

- God-tier level design. This is perhaps the greatest strength of this game. Every single platform, every single enemy, every single obstacle, has been designed to practically perfection.

- Fantastic challenge. This game is definitely hard -- sometimes brutally so -- I'd jokingly like to think of it as "OG Dark Souls". But I don't think it's ever unfair or cheap. You essentially play levels enough that, when you finally beat them, you have more or less mastered them. An aspect of the game is that it rewards you for going fast and for being precise; if you slow down or hesitate, you can still get past obstacles, but it will definitely be more challenging. So if you haven't played this game, you'll likely die a few times at each level, and then when you have mastered the layout, it's a free run. And that's where the game feels best.

- Plenty of surprises. This game may as well be called "Super Mario Bros: Troll Edition." Some levels have a wind factor (yes, wind) that can wreck the landing of your jumps if you're not careful. Some levels have a "fake Bowser" before the real Bowser (so yes, 2 Bowsers in a single level). There are springs that shoot you sky high, to the point of you not being able to see your character on the screen for a few seconds -- good luck landing correctly on the first couple of tries. And probably one of my favorite video game related trolls of all time: there are warp pipes that warp you... backwards. Both within the level and to a previous World. I entered a pipe in... I think it was World 3-1. And it warped me back to World 1. I couldn't quite even get "WTF" out of my mouth because I was laughing the whole time. Bravo, designers... bravo.

- Massive replayability. Another shining aspect of this game. Since there were several levels I played multiple times, interestingly enough almost every playthrough of a level played ever-so-slightly differently (and sometimes, very differently). There's a crazy amount of RNG in this game: Bullet Bills can have very different patterns, Cheep Cheep flying or water spawn points can be very different, etc. And that was just my playthrough with Luigi; Luigi and Mario actually behave very differently in this game (Luigi jumps higher but seems more slippery/harder to stop). When I want to get my Mario 1 fix I may actually be coming back to this game instead of the original Mario 1.

Given the slightly different physics in the Super Nintendo version, I do wonder how this game handled in the original NES version (I bought it on Wii Virtual Console before that service shut down a few years ago).

Anyway, on to Super Mario Bros. 2 in Super Mario All-Stars. I'm also playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 (as my "main" game) and the first Crash Bandicoot as part of the N-Sane Trilogy, playing both of those on PC.

Cheers!

PS: Dumb question -- does anyone know of a cheap/free photo hosting service? I'd like to post a picture related to the game I'm playing from time to time.
I use PostImages for uploading for an easy and quick link.

Nymphae

Banned
Are you finding this is actually helping get through backlog or are you just playing last year's new releases staggered a year?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Skyward Sword progress is coming along great. Just finished the 3rd Spirit Trial and got the Fire Earrings. This game does a lot of things wrong out of stubbornness (swimming controls) but the stuff it gets right is peak Nintendo. Hated this game at launch, really glad I came back to it. The OST in this game is just flat out amazing.

Are you finding this is actually helping get through backlog or are you just playing last year's new releases staggered a year?
For me, the former. I'm actually going through my backlog at a decent pace now, and actually (*shocker*) really enjoying the games I've bought over the years.

It is also an additional help in impulse control; participating in this thread, I'm much less inclined to impulse buy games from Steam sales or other sources, and have fun with my backlog instead.

Skyward Sword progress is coming along great. Just finished the 3rd Spirit Trial and got the Fire Earrings. This game does a lot of things wrong out of stubbornness (swimming controls) but the stuff it gets right is peak Nintendo. Hated this game at launch, really glad I came back to it. The OST in this game is just flat out amazing.

Awesome! I've been meaning to continue my Zelda tour (I played Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Twilight Princess all back to back). What kept me from Skyward Sword is the common/constant complaint about the motion controls. Do you feel they get in the way for you?

fart town usa

Gold Member
For me, the former. I'm actually going through my backlog at a decent pace now, and actually (*shocker*) really enjoying the games I've bought over the years.

It is also an additional help in impulse control; participating in this thread, I'm much less inclined to impulse buy games from Steam sales or other sources, and have fun with my backlog instead.

Awesome! I've been meaning to continue my Zelda tour (I played Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Twilight Princess all back to back). What kept me from Skyward Sword is the common/constant complaint about the motion controls. Do you feel they get in the way for you?
Swimming underwater definitely does, it's laughably bad and pretty stunning that it's in the game. Thankfully you don't have to do it much. Fighting is fine. Jumping is typical z-targeting camera stuff, just gotta make sure you're jumping where you think you are. The game is far from perfect but it does a lot of things right that are unique to the Zelda franchise. It feels more like Metroid than it does Zelda. I think one of the things thats helping with the enjoyment is playing it on the Wii U gamepad. That tiny screen makes the game look amazing and it feels great playing it, and I have headphones on. Just a really comfy gaming experience. Skyward Sword can be a really exhausting/demanding game. Best to play it when you want to rather than force yourself.

Bakkus

I have now also finished Panzer Dragoon 1 & Zwei on the Saturn. 1 was good but crazy unforgiving. If you use up your continues, then you have to start all over again I have also no idea how you're supposed to dodge the charge up attack on the final boss. Fortunately, you can inflict tons of damage on it before it charges up, which I didn't know until I youtubed for help >_>

Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the other hand felt great. There was only one really hard level, but thankfully there are now infinite continues (or at least it seemed that way?), and the charge shot added a new tactic to the game. The story on the other hand was pretty hard to follow. Is there a good synopsis of it somewhere? Also, the second to last boss, what was up with that? It constantly shoots lasers at you which doesn't damage you. But other than that I really liked it.

Edit: It was actually chapter 5's boss. But I digress.

Last edited:

Notorious_Ridah

Neo Member
Finished Turok 2

Just some background, I originally brought this in 1999 along with an expansion pack for my N64. I was hyped for this since I loved Turok 1. Played it but couldn't beat the final boss. Sold my N64 and all my games years ago.
Now, I only have a Switch so when Turok 1 Remastered came out, that was a instant buy. Completed it and loved it, but being in NZ, Turok 2 was not available on our store so had to buy on the Aus store instead.

Now with that out of the way, how did I find Turok 2?
Loved it, but man did I have trouble with Lair of the Blind Ones and Hive of the Mantinds. They are so confusing, the maps are so big and things are easily missed. I must have played through them 3 or 4 times each, now you don't get levels like that these day's except games like Doom 2016 and to be honest I enjoyed the exploration aspect alot.

Beat the final boss, got all the achievements except 'beat the game on hardcore'.
Now with that out of the way I've moved on to Spyro 2.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finished Turok 2

Just some background, I originally brought this in 1999 along with an expansion pack for my N64. I was hyped for this since I loved Turok 1. Played it but couldn't beat the final boss. Sold my N64 and all my games years ago.
Now, I only have a Switch so when Turok 1 Remastered came out, that was a instant buy. Completed it and loved it, but being in NZ, Turok 2 was not available on our store so had to buy on the Aus store instead.

Now with that out of the way, how did I find Turok 2?
Loved it, but man did I have trouble with Lair of the Blind Ones and Hive of the Mantinds. They are so confusing, the maps are so big and things are easily missed. I must have played through them 3 or 4 times each, now you don't get levels like that these day's except games like Doom 2016 and to be honest I enjoyed the exploration aspect alot.

Beat the final boss, got all the achievements except 'beat the game on hardcore'.
Now with that out of the way I've moved on to Spyro 2.
Turok 1 was nuts. I remember being a kid and thinking, "A shooter for the N64, Dinosaur Hunter....you control with the C-Buttons and aim with the analog stick!?!?!?! What the hell is this thing??"

Loved that game. Great control scheme too.

Notorious_Ridah

Neo Member
Yeah, it's funny how the aiming and movement are on the opposite thumbs now-a-days but I can totally switch back and forth with no trouble if I play an N64.

badboyyy

So I started to play Dragon Quest on Nintendo Switch, I think this version is a lot easier compare with NES version (which one I didnt play, any tips about NES version of DQ?). About 3 hours in the game, and my character is 17 level, I have full inventory of items (Sunstone, Rain bow, Erdrick Armor and etc.) I think one or two hours more and I complete this game. What I love so far: music, gameplay (so simple, but charming), beasts design.

Asteroidcamper

Neo Member
Help! Trying to narrow down my backlog, and I’m stuck between a number of different games to start next.

I could play any of these. I don’t mind dual-wielding if you think I could play more than one at once.

The games: Hitman 2, Fallout 4, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Dragon Quest XI, and Ori and the Blind Forest.

My indecision is kinda why I’m in this spot in the first place....thank you.

badboyyy

Playin AC: Valhalla on PS4 - its really beautiful game and have different gameplay tone compare with AC: Odyssey (which I played with all DLC’s and get Platinum trophy), in Valhalla so many various things, like side quests, mini puzzles, interesting buildings, your settlement, great variety of many small things. But one problem with all AC games are, that you cant play many hours straight, because you get tired of these worlds. So I playin little by little, like tasting a wine and this feels very good, enjoy GAF 2021 gaming year with your backlog!

Playin AC: Valhalla on PS4 - its really beautiful game and have different gameplay tone compare with AC: Odyssey (which I played with all DLC’s and get Platinum trophy), in Valhalla so many various things, like side quests, mini puzzles, interesting buildings, your settlement, great variety of many small things. But one problem with all AC games are, that you cant play many hours straight, because you get tired of these worlds. So I playin little by little, like tasting a wine and this feels very good, enjoy GAF 2021 gaming year with your backlog!
How long does it take to Platinum the latest AC games? (So I guess "neo-AC," starting with Origins...)

Guilty_AI

First game i decided to go with was Deus Ex Human Revolution.
Was in the mood for some cyberpunk (but didn't want to go for CP2077 just yet) and wanted something that wasn't overly long (like 100-200 hours long).

I really liked the first one, and so far HR hasn't disappointed.

Last edited:

Phase

52games2021-4.png

4. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3) - 14hrs
Very fun with some segments I didn't enjoy (e.g. spaceship sections). I don't know how I overlooked the Ratchet and Clank games growing up. The old school platforming is wonderful.

52games2021-5.png

5. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time (PS3) - 8hrs
They took my least favorite aspect of the previous game and made it the hub world... Then added collectible busy work and puzzles to lengthen the game. Also, having Ratchet separate from Clank for most of the game didn't do it for me as I found Clank's sections boring. I still enjoyed the game but it felt too unfocused. The game's cutscenes also crashed my ps3 five or six times.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

Count me in. I'm not upgrading yet as its impossible to get ahold of stock so I'll be playing a ton of old games and not buying new ones.

1. Dragon Age 2 (PC) - 30 hours
9/10
I was put off by this game in the past because of the PC controls but it really works nice with a controller. Pleasantly surprised as the story is incredible and sucked right into it. I unfortunately got all the tragic endings on my Hawke and ended up marrying the elf that I had a rivalry with. I also was sympathetic to the mages and helped Anders. The Legacy DLC was definitely worth a buy. Nice little campaign which sets the story up for Inquisition which I'm currently playing. I miss linear games that aren't all open world.

Last edited:

EDMIX

My backlog is so monstrous, I have no business buying anything new in 2020 lol

I think I'm even worse at this because I'll have a backlog and STILL replay an old game I ready beat many times lolz. Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty much the last new game I went thru before just not buying anything new until I take on that backlog.

AC IV Blackflag (never opened and everyone kept telling me how great it was)
AC odyssey
Borderlands Handsome Jack collection
Borderlands 3
Pillars Of Eternity 2
Divinity Sin 2
Kingdom Come Deliverance

Erimus

Neo Member
My backlog is huge so I could do with this. I’m in for the Kanye tier though seeing as I’ve just got a PS5. Will be nice to play games optimised for it and not just the upscaled versions of PS4 AAA titles I need to complete from my backlog on it.

Backlog:

Shadow of the Colossus
Bioshock collection
Resident Evil 2/3
Spider Man
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Astro Bot
Bloodborne
God of War
Breath of the Wild
LOU: Part 2
AC Odyssey
Mario Collection HD
DREAMS
Spyro reignited trilogy

I’ve made a start on both Bioshock 1 (Xbox One) and SOTC (PS4, soon to be PS5) as well as completing Spyro 1. So I’m underway in the battle to tackle this backlog.

Last edited:

VidKid369

I just 100% completed LUNAR: Silver Star Story Complete (PS) the other day. I got all 13 bromides and all 4 Althena's Spring(s) for the Rememberizer. It felt so good to mark this game off as finally officially "Completed" on the Backloggery! Whew.

Next,--I decided I wanted to 100% complete Final Fantasy VI (Anthology, PS). I thought it would be easy but it seems kind of tough as there're a lot of missable content. I'm gonna try to get all the Lores/Rages, teach everyone all the magics and see all the missable scenes like Locke and Edgar freaking out about Terra using magic and all of the scenes with Shadow.

I have no idea what to do about getting Ragnarok the magicite or the sword, though? Any thoughts on this one from you guys?

badboyyy

How long does it take to Platinum the latest AC games? (So I guess "neo-AC," starting with Origins...)
I just played Odyssey, it was about 200 hours, but a lot repetitive stuff, I remember first 30 hours was amazing, but then all slow down and I really hate Odyssey leveling system (when you level up, all enemies level up), many talking that Origins is better than Odyssey, but I cant say anything, because I didnt put any minute in Origin.

DelireMan7

My challenge :
No 2021 games . I can buy older games as my backlog is limited to 1 genre and I might want to change genre during the year according to my mood.

Here my final list. I bought Baten Kaitos and my wife decided to buy a N64 so I took Zelda Ocarina of time. This is my last buy for this year.

Physical Backlog :

• Lunar Silver Star Harmony (PSP) Edit: Ongoing ! Started 1st of January
  • The Legend of Heroes : Trails in the Sky (PSP)
  • Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
  • Odin Sphere (PS2)
  • Baldur's Gate : Siege of Dragonspear (PS4)
  • Baldur's Gate 2 : Shadows of Amn (PS4)
  • Baldur's Gate 2 : Throne of Bhaal (PS4)
  • Assassin's Creed IV : Black Flag (PS3)
  • Baten Kaitos : Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (Gamecube)
  • Zelda Ocarina of time (N64)
  • [Replay] Final Fantasy X and X-2 (PS2)
  • [Replay] At least one SoulsBorne (PS3/4)
Games completed :
  1. Rayman Origins (PS3) (started in Spring 2020, main story finished 5th of January 2021, coop with my 4 years old daughter, her first video game)
I didn't put it in my backlog but I have this game since its release probably (got it from a friend working at Ubisoft at that time). We played a bit of it in coop and I played part of the game solo.
Despite the fact I usually hate platformer games, I really like this one due to art style, humor and charming soundtrack.

Last year I wanted to initiate my 4 years old daughter to my passion and the only game I could think of is this one due to the "cartoon" art style (on that matter the Cinematic intro made her laugh a lot and we watch it several during our journey) and the fact we could play in coop. Also the "bubble" system (when you get hit, you become a bubble and are free to move anywhere on the screen, if your partner hit you, you're brought back into the game) was pretty handy to avoid frustration from her. But actually she's was not really caring about "dying", I have say most of the time she was laughing and enjoying dying several times in a row on hard level xD

It was a pleasure to see her evolve and discovering videogames. It was her first time holding a controller so everything was new for her and I realize that stuff that are obvious for us (gamers) have still to be learn... Like if you want to jump forward, you have to press jump AND forward xD.
Quickly she was able to memorize the command and I saw progress after each session. What surprise me the most was her reflexes improvement where she did some "last second" walljumps to avoid a death.

The game itself is quite challenging (nothing impossible and it's my perspective of platformer "beginner") toward the end so I of course did the main job on later levels but I always let her try to do/figure out the things first.
Also we often replay some levels and she's now able to do the first world's (jungle) levels by herself (I am just there in case she turns into a bubble). Funnily she also particularly loves the boss level (we did the Food and Water world boss level many many MANY times on her request)even so she can barely stay alive in them. Still there is some progress on her "lifetime")

Really happy to her introduction into my passion. We will continue with the game to collect "Electoons" for unlocking the last 2 characters and the Death's Teeth (Tricky treasure are my favorites levels. My daugther also like to try them and eventually cheers me up while watching me try to beat them. I love her "it's doesn't matter if you don't succeed, you shouldn't get angry and stay calm. You will succeed" when I get a bit frustrated xD).
Then I'll have to see what I will introduce her to. I guess she's too young for Dark Souls...

Currently playing :
Lunar : Silver Star Harmony (PSP)
(started 1st of January)

Finally I play this classic. I am 10 hours in and I like it. It's pretty simple and "generic" but it's the kind of game I was expecting to play when going on old JRPGs.
The story is now taking off and I like the characters. The anime scene are also really charming. Actually the whole game is kind of charming in aspect.

The battle system is pretty standard but one thing disturb me a bit. You inputs your command to all your characters and then the actions are executed but the order seems a bit random. I guess is tie to some stats but sometimes it looks a bit random where enemies will attack/move in between my characters' action (making less effective my planned AOE).
This removes a lot of strategy. Like Luna will play a "Slumber song" first and put asleep some enemies but then my others characters will hit them (and awake them) just after...

Still overall, I enjoy the game.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Unfinished Back Catalogue Game #1 - Halo CE

You know what it is. It's a game about shooting things and watching them explode into tiny fragments of space dust. Is it good? Well, it's decent. I'm not going to talk shit about a game from 1982 because there's obviously things that don't hold up well - the level design, especially towards the end. Actually, at the beginning too now I think about it. The best moments are like an oreo; they come in the middle. Levels like Assault on the Control Room and, surprisingly, The Library (which everyone seems to hate). It's actually quite challenging too. I mean I could be getting old (I am) but I died quite a lot on Normal, which was nice as that doesn't happen much with newer games. Throw some skulls on there - inc. Grunt Birthday Party - and you're having a better time than an Aussie at the beach.

👍

Last edited:

Soodanim

I can’t fully commit, because RE8 releases this year and I can’t just say no to that.

But I do have a hefty backlog, and aside for RE8 I could do no new games this year. Silly me bought a couple in the Steam sale too, but it was before new year.

Currently playing Borderlands 2, and I got up to Ultimate Vault Hunter mode (basically NG++) and decided the changes that mode makes resulted in some ridiculous bullet sponges. Instead, I dropped back down to NG+ to do the DLCs instead. I’ve already done the Christmas one and the main quest of Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep (it’s as good as people say it is).

At one point I was planning on doing it all again with other characters after, but I think I’d be better off moving on for now.

Current contenders for next game are either:
Resident Evil Revelations 2 (started, not finished)
Resident Evil 7
Nier Automata

But I have plenty more unfinished and not started games installed.

Games completed :
  1. Rayman Origins (PS3) (started in Spring 2020, main story finished 5th of January 2021, coop with my 4 years old daughter, her first video game)
I didn't put it in my backlog but I have this game since its release probably (got it from a friend working at Ubisoft at that time). We played a bit of it in coop and I played part of the game solo.
Despite the fact I usually hate platformer games, I really like this one due to art style, humor and charming soundtrack.

Last year I wanted to initiate my 4 years old daughter to my passion and the only game I could think of is this one due to the "cartoon" art style (on that matter the Cinematic intro made her laugh a lot and we watch it several during our journey) and the fact we could play in coop. Also the "bubble" system (when you get hit, you become a bubble and are free to move anywhere on the screen, if your partner hit you, you're brought back into the game) was pretty handy to avoid frustration from her. But actually she's was not really caring about "dying", I have say most of the time she was laughing and enjoying dying several times in a row on hard level xD

It was a pleasure to see her evolve and discovering videogames. It was her first time holding a controller so everything was new for her and I realize that stuff that are obvious for us (gamers) have still to be learn... Like if you want to jump forward, you have to press jump AND forward xD.
Quickly she was able to memorize the command and I saw progress after each session. What surprise me the most was her reflexes improvement where she did some "last second" walljumps to avoid a death.

The game itself is quite challenging (nothing impossible and it's my perspective of platformer "beginner") toward the end so I of course did the main job on later levels but I always let her try to do/figure out the things first.
Also we often replay some levels and she's now able to do the first world's (jungle) levels by herself (I am just there in case she turns into a bubble). Funnily she also particularly loves the boss level (we did the Food and Water world boss level many many MANY times on her request)even so she can barely stay alive in them. Still there is some progress on her "lifetime")

Really happy to her introduction into my passion. We will continue with the game to collect "Electoons" for unlocking the last 2 characters and the Death's Teeth (Tricky treasure are my favorites levels. My daugther also like to try them and eventually cheers me up while watching me try to beat them. I love her "it's doesn't matter if you don't succeed, you shouldn't get angry and stay calm. You will succeed" when I get a bit frustrated xD).
Then I'll have to see what I will introduce her to. I guess she's too young for Dark Souls...

Rayman Origins is so good DelireMan7 DelireMan7 and it sounds like your daughter has the talent for games! I've lost count how many times I've played through it, and it's a great game for kids as well.

DelireMan7 DelireMan7 , that was a heartwarming story to read. Sounds like your daughter really enjoyed the game! And trust me, she will remember that -- I still remember being little and my mom trying to play Super Mario Brothers with us; to this day I give her grief about her raising the controller higher thinking Mario would jump higher, LOL. (She still also calls any console I game on, "The Nintendo."..... )

And your feedback is high praise considering that you don't even like platformers all that much. As a huge platformer fan myself, I agree with everything you said, but I might be biased because Rayman Origins is my favorite 2D platformer ever (for all the reasons you mentioned). I don't know if you got to it, but there's a level called "Land of the Livid Dead" which is the very final level, and it's my absolute favorite platforming level in all of video games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm finally getting around to Luigi's Mansion 3. Some GAFers recommended it a few months back.

It's fun and completely self-contained, in that charming Nintendo way. Doesn't feel weighed down by unnecessary mechanics, yet keeps things fresh and mixes up the enemy types and puzzle-solving on the regular. I'll try to beat it in the next month or so. I've already gotten far and none of the puzzles or bosses have held me back.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's my first since this beauty 30 years ago:

320px-ArcadePowerStick_MD_JP.jpg

Playing a game feels much more like an event when using a huge arcade stick. As well as the fighting games, I'm going to squeeze in some MAME arcade gaming next year too (hope that doesn't count as breaking the backlog rules :messenger_beaming: )

The damn stick is on the wrong side. Seriously I can't use those - I need the stick on the right and the buttons on the left. What's especially weird is I've adapted just fine to modern controllers.

Bakkus

Just finished Link's Awakening on the GBC for the first time. I liked it. Some flaws with the world map design which sends you to dead ends so freaking much and what you should do to progress is often really cryptic which is why I gave up after 3 dungeons the first time I played it over 10 years ago, but this time with YouTube guides, it's finally done. You could tell by the ending and some story moments that this is definitely a Koizumi Zelda game. Man, I'm so sad he no longer has any involvement with the series.

DelireMan7

DelireMan7 DelireMan7 , that was a heartwarming story to read. Sounds like your daughter really enjoyed the game! And trust me, she will remember that -- I still remember being little and my mom trying to play Super Mario Brothers with us; to this day I give her grief about her raising the controller higher thinking Mario would jump higher, LOL. (She still also calls any console I game on, "The Nintendo."..... )

And your feedback is high praise considering that you don't even like platformers all that much. As a huge platformer fan myself, I agree with everything you said, but I might be biased because Rayman Origins is my favorite 2D platformer ever (for all the reasons you mentioned). I don't know if you got to it, but there's a level called "Land of the Livid Dead" which is the very final level, and it's my absolute favorite platforming level in all of video games.

I hope she will remember :) I am so happy to share these moments with her.
Like your mother, my daughter instinctively moved the controller in the direction she wanted her character to go at first. Now she holds it like a pro xD

I guess you speak of the level unlock by Death's Teeth ? We haven't reach it yet. We have 2 teeths to catch before that. But we will eventually get to it. I am curious, I heard it's really really hard

Last edited:

Ascend

Remasters/compilations of older games you've already played don't count against you.
Oh ok. I thought it would break the "no games bought in 2021" rule.

If that's the case, I really have zero issue with available backlog. My backlog is huge. The issue is trying to complete one game per month. As long as the games are not required to be from 2020, because most are a LOT older.
I'm at work right now, but when I'm home, I'll make a larger list of games that I might play this year. The ones I can name right now are;

Need for Speed Undercover (just started playing it for the first time)
Pokemon Sword (started last year but not finished, does this count?)
Dead or Alive 6 (Never played the story mode except for the first match)
Liberated

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Oh ok. I thought it would break the "no games bought in 2021" rule.

If that's the case, I really have zero issue with available backlog. My backlog is huge. The issue is trying to complete one game per month. As long as the games are not required to be from 2020, because most are a LOT older.
I'm at work right now, but when I'm home, I'll make a larger list of games that I might play this year. The ones I can name right now are;

Need for Speed Undercover (just started playing it for the first time)
Pokemon Sword (started last year but not finished, does this count?)
Dead or Alive 6 (Never played the story mode except for the first match)
Liberated
Nah we're trying to have a fun challenge without bogging it down with too many rules. Replaying old games has broad leeway.

The alternative would be forcing GAFers to play or replay a game on a less-than-ideal platform, or a platform no longer owned. Someone might re-buy a game on console or PC because that's what they'd prefer to play it on, and that doesn't really go against the spirit of the challenge, which is to avoid the New Hotness and play/replay what you already have.

Alan Wake

Not no new games at all but I will try to keep them at a bare minimum. My backlog is a bit of a burden by now. Little Nightmares II I'll buy, Resident Evil Village too (if it isn't delayed to 2022). Valhalla will keep me busy for quite some time, then I want to dive back into The Witcher 3, RDR2 and God of War among others.

I hope she will remember :) I am so happy to share these moments with her.
Like your mother, my daughter instinctively moved the controller in the direction she wanted her character to go at first. Now she holds it like a pro xD

I guess you speak of the level unlock by Death's Teeth ? We haven't reach it yet. We have 2 teeths to catch before that. But we will eventually get to it. I am curious, I heard it's really really hard
It's hard, but not unfair. And the music is S-tier, as well.

Maybe at the rate your daughter is getting skilled, she will beat the game before you do (just kidding, ha!)

Nah we're trying to have a fun challenge without bogging it down with too many rules. Replaying old games has broad leeway.
This right here is probably why this is my favorite thread active on GAF right now.

No PS5/Xbox console war shenanigans, no PC graphics card scalper nonsense, no "this is the 1,000th thread of how great/shitty Cyberpunk is," no video of random YouTubers being PC/PS5/Xbox warriors.

This is simply a thread of a bunch of people playing video games and feeling good about it, sharing their thoughts with the community along the way.

Phase

52games2021-6.png

6. Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) - 21hrs

I haven't played a racing game in some time and I'm glad I chose this one. It's brilliant. I pretty much play GT for the career mode and GT Sport is a little slim in that regard, but the mechanics are top notch. I completed 100% of all three campaign modes. Majority gold times/placings with the some silvers. No bronzes! I do have GT5 ready to go for the ps3 so that will be a treat as I hear 5 is beefy with offline content. Planning on getting GT7 as well when I get a PS5.

Erimus

Neo Member
Backlog game #1 - Bioshock 1

Played a couple hours more of this tonight after work. I appreciate how good it is (and certainly was for it’s time) but I’m god awful at it. I don’t know if I’m struggling with the controls or if I’m rationing ammo etc too much but I’m constantly dying and only playing on medium difficulty. Anyone have any tips?

If I can’t get a grasp on it soon I may have to reluctantly move onto another game in my long backlog.

First game i decided to go with was Deus Ex Human Revolution.
Was in the mood for some cyberpunk (but didn't want to go for CP2077 just yet) and wanted something that wasn't overly long (like 100-200 hours long).

I really liked the first one, and so far HR hasn't disappointed.

Same here. First game of 2021, haven't played the original though. Had no prior expectations. I'm genuinely surprised by DE:HR. Best way I can describe it is MGS meets a WRPG, meets Bladerunner.

It actually also makes me wonder why small hub worlds are so underutilized these days. They lend way for more substance and detail in comparison to those uninspired, oversized open worlds. Walking around Detroit is pretty cozy.

The game seems almost prophetic in some places. There's an in-game document detailing a global pandemic, referencing H1N1/SARS, that originated in the east/China "in 2018".

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The game seems almost prophetic in some places. There's an in-game document detailing a global pandemic, referencing H1N1/SARS, that originated in the east/China "in 2018".
Funny thing is, this is actually referencing events from the first game (that happens in a time ahead of human revolution). And the first game came out in 2000.
In fact, theres a LOT more prophetic things in that title. Once you finish HR, i highly suggest you try it, although I should warn you some of its mechanics and controls haven't aged very well.
Level design is still on par though, if not better.

If you don't plan to play it or don't mind spoilers, i highly suggest watching this video:

Last edited:

Phase

52games2021-7.png

7. ICO (PS3) - 6hrs

I was about to give a negative review of this game, but the last quarter of it was fantastic and saved it. I loved Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian. It's not on the same level but it's solid in its own respect. Things I liked: music, world, ambience, art style, limited dialogue letting the world tell the story. Things I didn't like: finicky controls, hard to see switches and openings which led to me spending too long trying to figure out a "puzzle" when I actually just didn't see something in a dark area, enemies being quite a nuisance until you get a sword. I think my favorite thing, besides the late game areas, was actually the music on the save menu lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom