• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2021, unfinished backlog only

Do you sign the No New Games Pact of 2021?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mekes

My first game of the year was UnderTale. I picked up a 4TB external drive for my PS4 late last year just to give me access to my true backlog, which UnderTale was a very small if not minuscule part of.

I enjoyed it a lot, it’s full of neat ideas that try to go beyond the norm, some that I have not seen in any other game, and is quite a charming game from start to finish. As somebody with a gargantuan backlog I’m not going to do multiple play throughs. Just the one is enough for me. But I’m glad I played this, I recommend it to anybody who has it in their backlog.

For now I’m just trying to decide what I’d like to play next. Strangely enough I’ve been mulling over Deus Ex HR myself, as well as Dishonored.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So far this year, I've finished Dragon Quest III on Switch. I'm about to finish Diablo 1 on GOG. I'm also pretty much done with Magic: Arena which I started last year. I started playing Symphony of the Night on PS5 earlier. I'm part of the way through Skyrim on Steam.

I'm going to end up finishing this challenge like... inadvertently.

Phase

So far this year, I've finished Dragon Quest III on Switch. I'm about to finish Diablo 1 on GOG. I'm also pretty much done with Magic: Arena which I started last year. I started playing Symphony of the Night on PS5 earlier. I'm part of the way through Skyrim on Steam.

I'm going to end up finishing this challenge like... inadvertently.
Nice. This challenge has been great for motivating me to play. I finished so many games last year that I only have about 30 more and I'll have no backlog left at all!

Ascend

Nice. This challenge has been great for motivating me to play. I finished so many games last year that I only have about 30 more and I'll have no backlog left at all!
I don't think I'll get there anytime soon. I have over 200 games of backlog, including many that take 40+ hours to complete. Factor in my 2 and 3 year old daughters and a wife, and the challenge is quite high xD

ROMhack

52games2021-7.png

7. ICO (PS3) - 6hrs

I was about to give a negative review of this game, but the last quarter of it was fantastic and saved it. I loved Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian. It's not on the same level but it's solid in its own respect. Things I liked: music, world, ambience, art style, limited dialogue letting the world tell the story. Things I didn't like: finicky controls, hard to see switches and openings which led to me spending too long trying to figure out a "puzzle" when I actually just didn't see something in a dark area, enemies being quite a nuisance until you get a sword. I think my favorite thing, besides the late game areas, was actually the music on the save menu lol.

I love Ico but you're right - the traditional 'gameplay' parts are a lot less pleasing than the ambience/aesthetics/journey. I feel it's better as an experience to look back on than a cohesive game to enjoy whilst you're playing.

Sounds like a bit of a cop-out I suppose and a lot of games get defined this way nowadays but Ico is a special case.

Last edited:

mekes

I've started up Dishonored. I'm actually having fun! First 10 minutes I was contemplating turning it off as starting impressions were not great. And I guess that is the bad point in how I consume games. And why I find myself in this thread.

😂

GonSama

I had some "fighting games nostalgia"
Recently came back to Tekken 7 and got the platinum and spent some hours online.
Now I'm playing Guilty Gear Rev 2 and Naruto Storm 4.

But my backlog is simply insane. I have multiple games for all genres to play (from PS2 to PS4, Wii to Switch and so on).
I will try to stay away of 2021 titles, but it will be hard.

Edit:
F*** it, I'm in! (the only exception is GOW Ragnarok, if they don't delay it, which I doubt :D)

Last edited:
I think my backlog is sadly large enough to last till 2030 :messenger_tears_of_joy: I REALLY need to start beating some games in 2021
Ha ha, I think that's the case for a lot of us! But... you got this!

(By the way, I really enjoy the threads you make here)

As for me -- as I suspected/feared, my return to work after the winter break was absolute insanity, so I haven't had much time to play games this past week. I put Resident Evil Revelations 2 in the backburner for now, will come back to it later. Not because I wasn't liking it -- more because of the way things are going at work, I need something that I can play in bite-sized chunks.

So, speaking of Insanity, I switched over to the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, and starting with the first game in the series. Really enjoying it so far -- Obviously on PC the 60fps is nice. The graphics are nice; I saw (but never played) the PS1 originals. The levels are really well designed, and can be a decently good challenge on the first run. I've only completed 2 boss fights so far and they have both been unique.

My only beef is that it's a bit obtuse on how to find the different color gems I need, which I need to 100% a few of the earlier levels. I'll figure it out, though.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I love Ico but you're right - the traditional 'gameplay' parts are a lot less pleasing than the ambience/aesthetics/journey. I feel it's better as an experience to look back on than a cohesive game to enjoy whilst you're playing.

Sounds like a bit of a cop-out I suppose and a lot of games get defined this way nowadays but Ico is a special case.

I think they did fine for the time it was made. One of my favorite games of all time. Dat Narrative doe!!! The girl not being able to see, but unlocking doors as to allow both to need each other is what made the game so special. The game reinforced this idea thru the mechanics. It didn't just simply try to "tell" you something was going on thru lazy narration (something I think many modern games need to really fucking understand).

PS2 era funny enough had many games that fit that "show me don't tell me" concept in terms of narrative.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater.....annnnnd you eating snakes and mending broken bones.
Persona 3 and 4 (game says you is a high school student.........no you really fucking do high school shit)
Bully

The list goes on. Many games imho during that time really used the medium to show you something was happening vs lets just tell you something.

Following the tip from jshackles jshackles in another thread (I think it was the 52-game thread), I signed up on Retro Achievements. I have a crap ton of retro consoles and original games, and love playing on original hardware, but man... this certainly breathes new life into the old games. Just tonight, I played a few retro games and got a crap ton of Achievements, for some challenges that I would have never thought of myself. (I set it up to get the Achievements on "Hardcore" which means no Save States, no Rewinds, etc.)

So now more than ever, going forward I'm gonna be playing at least one "regular" game, and one retro game, at all times.

What a time to be a alive. What a time to be a gamer. Awesome.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm at the point now where I can see the end of the backlog tunnel.

Just got my 360 out of the cellar and am almost done tackling SC Double Agent. After that I'll prolly jump right into the Xbox version, then over to Alien Isolation. Once I'm done with that I'll wrap up Dark Could on the PS4 which then only leaves me with Dark Souls 3. If by that point my PS5 purchase is not in sight I'll be playing it on my Pro, otherwise I'll wait a bit longer.

And after that... well... then I'm done. Complete, no backlog.

You jelly? :messenger_sunglasses:

Can't wait. Only buying games and playing and finishing them right away. No more hording. Never again.

Notorious_Ridah

Neo Member
52games2021-7.png

7. ICO (PS3) - 6hrs

I was about to give a negative review of this game, but the last quarter of it was fantastic and saved it. I loved Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian. It's not on the same level but it's solid in its own respect. Things I liked: music, world, ambience, art style, limited dialogue letting the world tell the story. Things I didn't like: finicky controls, hard to see switches and openings which led to me spending too long trying to figure out a "puzzle" when I actually just didn't see something in a dark area, enemies being quite a nuisance until you get a sword. I think my favorite thing, besides the late game areas, was actually the music on the save menu lol.
I love this game. Funny, I've tried Shadow of the Colossus twice and didn't like it. . I guess it's just one of those games I can't get into.

I'm playing Spyro 2 at the moment and I'm nearing the end but I'm having trouble on Canyon Speedway with the orb challenge. I play with controls inverted (don't hate me) but the controls on this section are normal no matter what the camera is set to. Must be a bug, but damn it's making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Ascend

Made quite a bit of progress in NFS Undercover during the weekend. I don't know why it received such low scores in reviews. The games is not terrible. Not the best NFS by far, but the racing is still fun.

The graphics are very rough though. Even NFS Underground looks better visually even though it's technically inferior. I'm using the Audi TT, and that car is overpowered. It can turn corners at such high speeds, it's absolutely ridiculous. And the performance, well, you wouldn't expect such an old game to have hiccups with modern hardware, but, I guess performance is also one of the reasons it scored low.

I'm having fun though. And even though I never finished it, I think NFS Carbon was more fun. Maybe I should add NFS Carbon to the list for this year xD

Made quite a bit of progress in NFS Undercover during the weekend. I don't know why it received such low scores in reviews. The games is not terrible. Not the best NFS by far, but the racing is still fun.

The graphics are very rough though. Even NFS Underground looks better visually even though it's technically inferior. I'm using the Audi TT, and that car is overpowered. It can turn corners at such high speeds, it's absolutely ridiculous. And the performance, well, you wouldn't expect such an old game to have hiccups with modern hardware, but, I guess performance is also one of the reasons it scored low.

I'm having fun though. And even though I never finished it, I think NFS Carbon was more fun. Maybe I should add NFS Carbon to the list for this year xD

Awesome! :messenger_bicep:

"Dumb" question from someone who generally doesn't play Need for Speed games -- is it more of a racing sim, or more arcade-y? I can give some NFS titles a shot if they're more arcadey, while I respect the craft that goes into Sims (sports, racing, etc), they're not generally my cup of tea.

I checked out a few images and yeah, you weren't kidding, game is a bit rough on the eyes.

Glad you're having fun with it! How long do you have to play until you unlock that broken Audi? (LOL....)

Loope

"Dumb" question from someone who generally doesn't play Need for Speed games -- is it more of a racing sim, or more arcade-y? I can give some NFS titles a shot if they're more arcadey, while I respect the craft that goes into Sims (sports, racing, etc), they're not generally my cup of tea.

I checked out a few images and yeah, you weren't kidding, game is a bit rough on the eyes.

Glad you're having fun with it! How long do you have to play until you unlock that broken Audi? (LOL....)
Oh it's straight arcade. At least the ones i remember playing, then i get fed up with that type of game.

Ascend

NFS as a franchise is definitely an arcade racer. I would not recommend to start with Undercover though. I'd say, start with the first NFS Underground to see if the racing style is something you like. Underground doesn't have any free roaming nor cop chases, which makes it a bit more focused on the racing itself. If you like free roaming, Underground II is one of the best.

The Audi TT is unlocked quite early on. You unlock it after the 5th job or so (might be a bit later). I don't know how many there are in total. I'm quite sure I'm over 25 as of now. Considering I already unlocked the highest tier car performance upgrades, I suspect I'm close to finishing the game.

Guilty_AI

Its more arcade in general, but there were some releases in the past with a higher focus on realism.

If you're looking for the "classic" NFS experience i'd recommend trying:
-NFS Hot Pursuit 2 (Lots of cool tracks, fun, old but still good loking, cops, no freeroam)
-NFS Hot Pursuit (2010) (Freeroam, cops, good visuals)

For the ones with customization:
NFS Underground 2 (Freeroam, deep customization)
NFS Underground (Deep customization though not as deep as U2, some people think its more 'fun' than U2, no freeroam)
NFS Most wandted (2005) (Freeroam, cops, light customization)

Hugare

Yeah, I'm down

No game in 2021 interest me. GoW Ragnarok is the only one, but its going to be delayed, Im sure of it.

So I'll be starting with:
• Prey
• Metro Exodus
• Black Mesa
• Black Ops Cold War
• Control
• Yakuza Kiwami 2
• Days Gone (tried 3 times already, but maybe this time I'll get into it)
• Devil May Cry V
• Kingdom Hearts III
• NFS Heat

And I'll be replaying tons of games. Recently bought a PS4 Pro and I'm excited to replay some games with better visuals and performance.

Played some of Control and it was night and day difference to the Base PS4

Last edited:

Jeeves

I won't be abstaining from new games, but I support this! Feels like there's less appreciation lately for playing games that aren't on the bleeding edge.

Relatively soon I intend to start tackling a glut of games I've been meaning to play, so I'll be with you in spirit - or something. I may chime in here and there in solidarity.

I think first up for me will be Pandora's Tower, which along with Xenoblade and The Last Story is one of the Wii's 'operation rainfall' games. I've owned all three of those games since they were new but I've but only played Xenoblade until now. Time to change that!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Playing Halo CE through the Master Chief Collection for the first time.

I’d previously played through all of the 360 titles as they released; 3, ODST, Reach and 4.

Currently on Chapter 5 and wow, this game really holds up. It’s the Anniversary Edition, so it’s got nice graphics, but also gameplay and mission wise it’s still top notch .

My plan is to complete 2A after CE, and then I’ll finally play 5’s campaign.

Last edited:
Finished DE:HR a couple of days ago. Let me summarise it like this:

1f054c99-c83a-4b16-85e7-ba761f2f05f1.jpg

Mamma Mia Food GIF

Also, the soundtrack is sublime. I checked out Michael McMann's discography and he's surprisingly been invovled in very few video games. The soundtrack is seriously a piece of great craftsmanship and disappointing it didn't get more recognition around the time. It breathed a lot of life into the game and sets an absolutely formidable tone.

I got the complete edition, including Rifleman bank station which was a nice expansion and tie-in to the overall storyline. Currently, getting my sneaky-deaky freak on with a pacifist and foxiest of hounds playthrough, on "give me Deus ex" mode, for that gamer street cred.

I'd recomend any old school MGS + cyberpunk sci-fi fan on the fence to consider giving it a try.

Played Undercover more than 10 years ago and I honestly don't get why some dislike it so much. I had a pretty fun time with it. I actually kinda regret having sold it at some point. Especially, with current times and all.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Finished DE:HR a couple of days ago. Let me summarise it like this:

1f054c99-c83a-4b16-85e7-ba761f2f05f1.jpg

Mamma Mia Food GIF

Also, the soundtrack is sublime. I checked out Michael McMann's discography and he's surprisingly been invovled in very few video games. The soundtrack is seriously a piece of great craftsmanship and disappointing it didn't get more recognition around the time. It breathed a lot of life into the game and sets an absolutely formidable tone.
I really recommend checking out the first game from 2000.
There's aspects of it haven't aged that well, but things like the level design, environments, story and soundtrack are all top notch too, even better than HR some would argue.

Banjo64

cumsessed

I’d previously played through all of the 360 titles as they released; 3, ODST, Reach and 4.

Currently on Chapter 5 and wow, this game really holds up. It’s the Anniversary Edition, so it’s got nice graphics, but also gameplay and mission wise it’s still top notch .

Just to clarify my plan this year; I’m subscribed to GPU for 3 years. I’m not going to spend any cash at all on games, this year with the exception of Reward credit.

The only game I want to buy is Monster Hunter Rise on Switch, however I’m selling Pokémon Sword to fund this in full, so zero net spend.

ROMhack

Yeah, I'm going through them all too. Just nearing the end of H2A which holds up really well so enjoy!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I failed to finish Death Stranding last year so I will try to do it this year. I've already completed a dozen more road sections and a few more chapters in the first two weeks of January. I'm gonna keep chipping away, then move on to Gravity Rush 2.

Driving a truck while trying to get to the stops around Mountain Knot city brought back fond memories of driving the Mako in Mass Effect, desperately trying to keep my truck upright without spilling the cargo. I'm not sure, but I think the Mako's physics might've been better than the truck in Death Stranding :goog_grinning_sweat: At one point, I was going down a sharp 70 degree hill. Making it to my deliveries in that area was a rush of adrenaline, though.

Regarding the story, I'm not sure what to think. It's so disconnected from itself that I wonder if it'll start going multiverse / dream within a dream / simulation kind of plot explanations for everything. I love the aesthetic for the world, and the details packed into the emails and the equipment. I like how lethality is discouraged by the design of the world. I wish I could become a preacher and bring MULEs into the city, to restore them to sanity.

The simulation aspects seem very... focused. I don't know if I like it, but it's easy to get into a zen vibe and just do chores. Kinda reminds me of playing Minecraft survival mode and logging in just to clear some trees, gather some food, and perform other mundane activities. Maybe these feelings evoked by Death Stranding are what The Sims fans feel when they play that game. It's very... escapist?

So far during my play-through, I keep wondering which surprise will unfold next: a new weird facet of the simulation, or a new weird facet of the storyline. Going to the trench-warfare scene was surprising in a storyline way. Seeing lethal soldiers show up in the world was surprising in a simulation way. These have been ping-ponging and as a result I'm really gripped by the game. I'm still not really sure if I love the game, but I'm gripped by it, for sure.

Phase

52games2021-8.png

8. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox One) - 17hrs

The upgraded textures on Xbox One do look sweet. I skipped this when it came out but I shouldn't have. It was a nice story; a little too many escort style missions, but fun nonetheless. The side quests I did were interesting and it was cool to sit back and relax with some Dice. All in all it felt good to serve justice, especially so at the end. I won't spoil in case somebody is planning on playing and hasn't yet.

Ascend

I had to lower the difficulty on BioShock (lol) so I’m enjoying the experience now for what it is. Hoping to have it completed by the end of the weekend to move onto game #2 of the backlog :)
I started with Bioshock like 5 years ago. But I never finished it. I'm very good at not finishing games it seems, even good ones. At this point, if I were to replay it, I'd have to start over, because I barely remember any of it. The main thing I remember is my first fight with a big daddy. That was quite hard.

Ascend

So I finished NFS Undercover yesterday. It got a bit tedious towards the end, so I decided to skip a bunch of races and pick the main jobs instead. The final one was quite challenging and quite fun. At least the ending was satisfying in terms of gameplay.

My verdict; 6.5/10

Pros;
  • The racing is fun
  • Customization options for your cars are ample
  • Police chases are not too hard nor too easy
  • Cars handle very differently from each other
  • No need to free roam if you don't want to

Cons;
  • Story is nonsense and completely uninteresting. Plot twist could be seen coming from a mile away.
  • Performance is not always smooth, even on a modern PC
  • Graphics are rough, even at max settings
  • Got repetitive towards the end. Too many filler races.
  • I found no option to turn off the 'action' camera. I don't need to see my car flying in slowmo every time I drive off a ledge.
  • I had to manually install a mod to support my 21:9 resolution without any stretching (an issue with many older games though)
If it wasn't for the performance issues, it could score a bit higher. Other NFS games are definitely better though. I don't regret playing it, but I don't expect myself to boot this up again.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I failed to finish Death Stranding last year so I will try to do it this year. I've already completed a dozen more road sections and a few more chapters in the first two weeks of January. I'm gonna keep chipping away, then move on to Gravity Rush 2.

Driving a truck while trying to get to the stops around Mountain Knot city brought back fond memories of driving the Mako in Mass Effect, desperately trying to keep my truck upright without spilling the cargo. I'm not sure, but I think the Mako's physics might've been better than the truck in Death Stranding :goog_grinning_sweat: At one point, I was going down a sharp 70 degree hill. Making it to my deliveries in that area was a rush of adrenaline, though.

Regarding the story, I'm not sure what to think. It's so disconnected from itself that I wonder if it'll start going multiverse / dream within a dream / simulation kind of plot explanations for everything. I love the aesthetic for the world, and the details packed into the emails and the equipment. I like how lethality is discouraged by the design of the world. I wish I could become a preacher and bring MULEs into the city, to restore them to sanity.

The simulation aspects seem very... focused. I don't know if I like it, but it's easy to get into a zen vibe and just do chores. Kinda reminds me of playing Minecraft survival mode and logging in just to clear some trees, gather some food, and perform other mundane activities. Maybe these feelings evoked by Death Stranding are what The Sims fans feel when they play that game. It's very... escapist?

So far during my play-through, I keep wondering which surprise will unfold next: a new weird facet of the simulation, or a new weird facet of the storyline. Going to the trench-warfare scene was surprising in a storyline way. Seeing lethal soldiers show up in the world was surprising in a simulation way. These have been ping-ponging and as a result I'm really gripped by the game. I'm still not really sure if I love the game, but I'm gripped by it, for sure.

Good to hear, Dun. It's a very chilled out game for the most part and you're right - similar vibes to Minecraft.

I played during the summer while we were in lockdown here in the UK (at least I think we were) and there was something really comforting about it. It felt like the game demanded I take my time rather than rush through to get from A to B. Often I put on an audiobook/podcast while playing, just enjoying delivering parcels and taking in the lush aesthetics. I got really into things like building roads and zipwires, which is the type of busy-work I usually tend to avoid.

The story is both integral to the experience and also, as you say, entirely disconnected. I can't quite explain but it feels like all these meta-narratives held together by the actual story - the parts with cutscenes. It's a really expansive plot and one, I think, that's both about Sam/Fragile/Higgs etc, and also you, the player. I think Kojima did well to take into account the player's experience as it makes the whole thing feel more personal. Again, as you say, it grips you in a way other games don't

Enjoy the rest :)

Last edited:

ROMhack

I had to lower the difficulty on BioShock (lol) so I’m enjoying the experience now for what it is. Hoping to have it completed by the end of the weekend to move onto game #2 of the backlog :)

Nice. It's perhaps a controversial opinion but I think the Bioshock games play better on easier difficulties. It lends to the story-experience better and, in truth, Bioshock suffers from that oft-found problem in FPS games: bullet sponge enemies.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So I’ve just finished Halo CE.

I can see why this game was a revelation when it released on the original Xbox.

The score has always been great in Halo, but in CE I found it to be executed particularly well. When this beat hits, you just think you can take on the world;

I think the story is perfect, and easy to follow. Some of the later games get a bit convoluted story wise. It’s also great being able to switch between the original look and the remastered look on the fly.

Ascend

So I’ve just finished Halo CE.

I can see why this game was a revelation when it released on the original Xbox.

The score has always been great in Halo, but in CE I found it to be executed particularly well. When this beat hits, you just think you can take on the world;

I think the story is perfect, and easy to follow. Some of the later games get a bit convoluted story wise. It’s also great being able to switch between the original look and the remastered look on the fly.

I knew which track you meant without listening. That's a testament to how great it is. I have the whole Master Chief Collection on PC. Haven't played it yet, although I already played everything on the consoles.

Phase

52games2021-11.png

9. Jade Empire (Xbox One) - 16hrs

Wow, what a tale! This game is so unique. From the combat system, to the characters, to the dialogue, to the world, to the music, it's all wrapped into such a coherent and well presented package. The great humor was just the cherry on top. So much creativity went into this title. There are really a lot of choices and consequences. I ended up doing mostly an Open Palm run. It just felt right during play. I will remember this one fondly.

Last edited:

Ascend

52games2021-11.png

9. Jade Empire (Xbox One) - 16hrs

Wow, what a tale! This game is so unique. From the combat system, to the characters, to the dialogue, to the world, to the music, it's all wrapped into such a coherent and well presented package. The great humor was just the cherry on top. So much creativity went into this title. There are really a lot of choices and consequences. I ended up doing mostly an Open Palm run. It just felt right during play. I will remember this one fondly.
Loved this game. I did see the plot twist coming a mile away though. I played Mass Effect before Jade Empire, and structurally, the stories were similar. That didn't take away from the experience though. I would love a remake or a sequel.

Phase

Loved this game. I did see the plot twist coming a mile away though. I played Mass Effect before Jade Empire, and structurally, the stories were similar. That didn't take away from the experience though. I would love a remake or a sequel.
My first thought after finishing was "I wonder if they'll ever make Jade Empire 2?" lol. Yeah you could tell where the story was going, but imo it was told so well. I definitely did not expect this game to be as good as it was.

Plot twist could be seen coming from a mile away.

Loved this game. I did see the plot twist coming a mile away though.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Your feedback on NFS was pretty good. Based on your feedback I'd probably skip it myself, whenever I get to the NFS series...
i made a few exceptions, copy of black mesa and until you fall

that's it tho, 2021 is locked
Nice! :messenger_bicep: So, are you playing anything right now? Cheers!

Tesseract

Banned
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Your feedback on NFS was pretty good. Based on your feedback I'd probably skip it myself, whenever I get to the NFS series...

Nice! :messenger_bicep: So, are you playing anything right now? Cheers!
always apex, some prodeus and until you fall, alyx workshop, into the radius

y tu?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom