• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No one cares if you don't like Gamepass or PlayStation Now, I'm just going to be honest here with my opinion .

Dav-Kripler

Well... Here's a thought. Life is limited, you are very likely to be sometime who has more games than they will ever finish and the hunt for more is a craving that will never be satisfied.

Point is, whether it's a service or a physical copy or whatever... Ask yourself, does this really matter that much to you?

🤷

I guess what I'm saying is
nobody cares bfd GIF

killatopak

Just posting here to say I didn't read anything in this thread.

prefacing it by saying you don't care about something then subsequently having an opinion about it is ironic.

tl;dr

images

All I'm trying to get at is that these services can coexist with the traditional way of consuming games.
What annoys me the most about them is the people who act as if gamepass was the second coming or something.

Now, if you want to spin them as cable channels and you don't care that they could rotate the games you like at any time, well good then.

sackings

I have no strong opinions one way or another about it, cuz I have zero interest in the xbox ecosystem. For the games that do interest me like Bethesda stuff I'll be able to get on pc.

MonarchJT

Banned
when Sony will reboot that failure of psnow (it will happen this gen) in something that can really compete with Gamepass, PlayStation users will start to love those services as if they are the second coming. (because honestly I've never heard a single Xbox user complain about gamepass)

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

Gamepasses open the way to the multiple season passes and episodes/DLC's.

The games will be special tailored to this. You get the beginning and mid part for free, but if you like it, you will need to pay extra money to see the full story. Yikes.

Trust me in 10 years time you will think back fondly to the time you just could buy a disc with the full game on it.

laynelane

The persons I like the most are those who dislike something, and come into every single thread about it, and tell us how much they dislike it. Sometimes, it becomes almost impossible to have a normal discussion.

When you don't like something, you can tell it to the world, to feel better (if it helps you ?), one, two or three times. But then, when everyone knows perfectly well your opinion, I think that you can move on.

It's the nature of the beast, I figure. There's a concentrated group of video game enthusiasts, ie. nerds, on here talking about their favourite hobby and pastime. Everyone is invested and passionate about it and there will always be clashes of opinion. I get what you're saying, though, and understand that it can be tedious when you're just looking to have a discussion with other like-minded individuals.

Jaybe

Fast forward 5 to 7 years and I think there is some probability that Microsoft either:

1) Keeps games at regular price, never discounting them making the perception of Game Pass value higher

Or

2) No longer allows purchase of their games making the requirement to subscribe to Game Pass to play them. They want a Netflix future for games.

Derktron

Banned
bethesda will drop 3 exclusives for playstation this year
Which is obvious and nothing really wrong with it because that money that comes from PlayStation goes straight to Microsoft/Bethesda it’s the same thing for PlayStation and it’s games coming to PC. So what’s your point?

driqe

Which is obvious and nothing really wrong with it because that money that comes from PlayStation goes straight to Microsoft/Bethesda it’s the same thing for PlayStation and it’s games coming to PC. So what’s your point?
replied to the wrong thread

Kokoloko85

Lets hope they dont mess about the market and the money going into AAA games.
Otherwise I dont care about it. Just don’t want them to negatively effect Triple AAA games

T8SC

I'm happy you felt the need to tell us your opinion. We're all enlightened and will sleep better tonight.

GamePass FUD I have read here:

MS will stop making AAA games
All MS games will become episodic
All MS games will incorporate forced MP and GaaS
MS will lock games to GamePass
MS will jack up the price substantially

Among other bullshit. In reality, it’s an optional service, kind of like streaming movie/television services except even better than those because every game in GamePass you can buy outside of the service.

Mr.ODST

No one should care either way, if you like it or not. It's an option. I think both of those services are pretty damn good.

But I do have one thing to say... I liken (some) GamePass subscribers to Vegans :messenger_tears_of_joy:, they can't go a single conversation/thread without mentioning it. Oh look at thread about a game "I'll pass... it's not on GamePass" or "This should be free on GamePass" or "Not worth it, I'll wait till it's on GamePass" "Why would I buy this, I've got a ton of other better games to play on GamePass" Look, GamePass is a damn good service... Please stop telling us about it when it's not even part of the conversation. Love you GamePass subscribers, don't kill me :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Think you will find its mostly fanboys who complain about it more than people saying they like gamepass

when Sony will reboot that failure of psnow (it will happen this gen) in something that can really compete with Gamepass, PlayStation users will start to love those services as if they are the second coming. (because honestly I've never heard a single Xbox user complain about gamepass)

Probably but as of yet psnow isn't Sony's last bastion of hope like it for ms , I'm sure it'll get the gamepass treatment this gen though .

i'm a pc only gamer with a huge backlog of steam-sale games i'm still grinding through (damn you gabe!). i bought 3 months of ps now for those 'other people' who seem to live here with me, and i have to say, it's a pretty good service. they've been enjoying it quite a bit, and while there's an occasional hiccup in the streaming, our tryout of the service is working out well. just my 2 cents.

Zog

Banned
Fuck the naysayers. I'm happy with GamePass type services. Low subscription fee and heaps of games to play whenever I chose.
I love physical games on a bookshelf. No fees to pay and heaps of game to play whenever I choose. From NES all the way up to PS4\Xbox One\Switch. From Game Boy all the way up to the 3DS\Vita.

For example, when people say 'I wish Nintendo would add N64 and Gamecube games to the Switch'. I just laugh because I can play them anytime I want. I can't imagine waiting for one of the game companies to release something I want to play.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
i agree , nephew got a xsx with gamepass and he has a ton of games although he did buy the blue ray of the new COD game , a lot of gamers dont care about owning physical copies and just want a netflix like online gaming service

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
One of the best and underappreciated features is the ability to try so many different games. Heck if you told me before gamepass existed I could pay $5 a month just for demos of most games I would have gladly paid it.......

Derktron

Banned
I'm with you OP.

Fuck the naysayers. I'm happy with GamePass type services. Low subscription fee and heaps of games to play whenever I chose.
I also mentioned PS Now but okay. I'm not saying you can't hate on it. But it's annoying to see the same bullshit argument over both services being bad when in reality isn't bad. It's an option for some people. But for Gamepass, it's a good deal for millions when companies are getting risky with the $70 price tag yet people find Gamepass bad? So I guess people do like being fucked in the ass by companies. That's why I hope Sony takes after Microsoft and makes their own official Gamepass program. Because the $70 price tag is the beginning, I can see a game being sold for $200 with Season Pass. Because already games cost $100 something if you want the entire game. So just imagine companies raising the price for their "Gold edition" of their games. Then all those people who hate the idea of Gamepass and even PS Now and PS Plus library of games (Through PS5) would be running to both companies signing up for the services and yeah you could argue over the fact that services like Gamepass don't extend games but I'm sure later down the line Microsoft would be able to extend those time limits and let's not play stupid and say you own the game because in reality. You don't own the game anyways enough of my ramble. I don't want to trigger more people on here.

Derktron

Banned
i agree , nephew got a xsx with gamepass and he has a ton of games although he did buy the blue ray of the new COD game , a lot of gamers dont care about owning physical copies and just want a netflix like online gaming service
Yep, I don't care for physical games either that much too.

Derktron

Banned
Probably but as of yet psnow isn't Sony's last bastion of hope like it for ms , I'm sure it'll get the gamepass treatment this gen though .
I agree, PS Now is just a forgotten service. I could see them make their own services like Gamepass very soon.

mxbison

Yeah, 2 or 3 "GamePass is the best value in gaming" threads every day also don't seem necessary though...

TonyK

It's not about the service it's a problem about what games will produce a service like this if it becomes the main distribution method. In my opinion, it would have the same difference we can see between the quality of real movies and the shit Netflix produces to fill the streaming service.

I like AAA games and AAA movies, so I fear a service than can't produce them.

Khalborg

Neo Member
I currently do not have any subscription to PSNow, but I feel the only way for Sony to ease me into paying for a subscription is to allow me to stream the games I already bought digitally on all platforms where PSNow is available and synch savefiles.

Spaceman292

Banned
No one cares if you don't like Gamepass or PlayStation Now, this is not meant for you if you are the ones who complain about having to buy the games to "Keep them". It's not meant for you, it's meant for people who play a game once and just leave it alone, these services are something that many of you naysayers will have to get used to it. I don't understand why the hell anyone thinks that anyone cares if you hate the idea of Gamepass or even PlayStation Now. Nothing is going to fully change over this generation or the next. You will still be able to buy games and guess what if you want to get technical about games being taken away, developers can do the same thing with games that are bought if a game goes south and they need to shut down the server or whatnot. Just like what happened to Cyberpunk 2077 being removed from PlayStation Store (And for good reason). It can happen with the games you treasure.

All I'm trying to get at is that these services can coexist with the traditional way of consuming games.
Did you mean to reply to one of the other rambling gamepass threads and accidentally make a thread of your own?

Riky

$MSFT
I love physical games on a bookshelf. No fees to pay and heaps of game to play whenever I choose. From NES all the way up to PS4\Xbox One\Switch. From Game Boy all the way up to the 3DS\Vita.

For example, when people say 'I wish Nintendo would add N64 and Gamecube games to the Switch'. I just laugh because I can play them anytime I want. I can't imagine waiting for one of the game companies to release something I want to play.

This is true to an extent, I can get my copy of Perfect Dark and put it in my N64 and the full game is there as intended, great.
However things have changed since really the 360 era, what you get on a disc isn't always the full game or might not even be finished, imagine in 20 years putting an unpatched Cyberpunk into a PS4 or Xbox One.
I wasn't keen on Gamepass when it first launched, like a lot of people I like to "own" my games, but it's the same when the original Halo 2 map packs came out I didn't see having a download as owning my game either back then and purchased them on disc.
My attitude has changed though as in this digital age you don't really own anything anymore, so now I have a mix of games. As there is only one PlayStation Pro in the house I mostly buy physical copies, for Xbox there are like six so digital makes more sense to me and as you can share over two accounts, Gamepass is great as my son has access to all my digital and Gamepass games without subscribing, you can also play on PC at the same time and that gets used a lot too, I think he's invested in Crusader Kings at the moment so it was either £50 on Steam or free with my sub.
I also have a pad with an Android phone permanently attached for going away and have streamed my games on holiday, so at the moment I see the service as very good value for money with everything you get.

No one cares if you don't like Gamepass or PlayStation Now, this is not meant for you if you are the ones who complain about having to buy the games to "Keep them". It's not meant for you, it's meant for people who play a game once and just leave it alone, these services are something that many of you naysayers will have to get used to it. I don't understand why the hell anyone thinks that anyone cares if you hate the idea of Gamepass or even PlayStation Now. Nothing is going to fully change over this generation or the next. You will still be able to buy games and guess what if you want to get technical about games being taken away, developers can do the same thing with games that are bought if a game goes south and they need to shut down the server or whatnot. Just like what happened to Cyberpunk 2077 being removed from PlayStation Store (And for good reason). It can happen with the games you treasure.

I don't understand why the hell you think anyone cares if you love the idea of Gamepass or even Playstation Now.

CeeJay

If its online only sure, no publisher can take away an offline physical game.
That's quite a naïve viewpoint in the modern gaming world. We are long passed that already with even offline physical purchased games requiring an update to run for the first time. Developers are using that more and more as a crutch as well knowing that they can release a game on time and fix any bugs going forward. Even with regard to the law you do not own a game, you merely own a license to allow you to play it with strings attached that allow that license to be legally revoked if you break some arbitrary terms and conditions.

Lack of ownership is negative if you want to look at it in that way but there are a lot of positives that come from it as well. There are many top tier experiences that we as humans have without the opportunity to own it, we are perfectly happy to spend a day at a theme park, go to the theatre or a music event, travelling to different countries and experiencing different cultures. There is nothing wrong with living in the moment and enjoying things today in the knowledge that they are gone tomorrow. GAAS and subscriptions are going to be where the best gaming experiences come from going forward and we are not going to get anywhere near the level of the stuff we see on the Star Trek holodeck or the online world in Ready Player One without transitioning towards a more transient model. If you want truly amazing, vibrant, alive dynamic worlds with intelligent AI then eventually you get to a point where that can no longer be burned to a disk, self contained and sold in a box.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Collectors are the definition of average gamer, game pass is the true gaming platform you’re paying to play the game not collect it and move onto the next game.

Top Bottom