• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No One Lives Forever Trademark Filed By Night Dive Studios (System Shock 2 Steam)

ScHlAuChi

monkey53ysd.png

Grief.exe

Last week, Night Dive founder Stephen Kick and director of business development Larry Kuperman emailed me to let me know that while they had indeed planned to re-release No One Lives Forever and its sequel, they'd hit a wall and been forced to give up. Thanks to the ongoing inability and/or unwillingness of three publishers—Activision, 20th Century Fox, and in particular Warner Bros.—to determine who owned the game, Night Dive is currently abandoning its efforts to revive No One Lives Forever

http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

Tagyhag

Fuck all 3, they don't want to make the effort because they know they'll barely be paid.

Always remember, to most publishers it's money first, and gamers a distant second.

Eusis

Fuck all 3, they don't want to make the effort because they know they'll barely be paid.

Always remember, to most publishers it's money first, and gamers a distant second.
Well, it sounds like it's mainly WB's fault here whereas for the other two it's kind of a pain in the neck to bother rooting out.

Best hope at this point (short of the more straightforward copyrights expire path that most of us probably wouldn't live to see anyway) is either someone in WB seeing this story and going "whoa what the hell man?" and sorting stuff out, or a change of guard that's more open to this stuff. Kind of like how LucasArts was really lame about working with others on stuff but Disney seems a lot better about it.

EDIT: Also I do wonder if it helps in a way that WB's relatively new to the games scene? Activision will look for a profit wherever and have been alright about re-releasing their own older stuff and even reusing the Sierra label better than EA did Origin, and while Fox have been assholes with rights before they do seem willing to work things out at times and this is probably low enough to go "sure whatever" for. WB may just be too new and too fixated on establishing newer stuff that really paying attention to older stuff (or at least that which isn't cut and dry) is kind of a foreign concept to them.

Jisgsaw

WB may just be too new and too fixated on establishing newer stuff that really paying attention to older stuff (or at least that which isn't cut and dry) is kind of a foreign concept to them.

Maybe they also want to avoid any liability in cases another party finds out after a potential rerelease they do have rights on the games, and decides to sue them (Night Dive and WB).

Well, I'll have to see were I put my physical copy of this.

Anjin M

This makes me incredibly sad. Someone needs to rip off the concept and make their own version.

So, how hard is it to learn Unity nowadays?

oipic

Sad indictment of the modern state of corporate shenanigans with the big studios.

Shouldn't be shocked or surprised, I guess, but I can't see why Warner Bros didn't enter into a licensing deal with Night Dive as a relatively low-risk, low-investment dipping of the toes into the water with the NOLF brand. Worst case, it appears not a lot would be lost; best case, buzz is created, interest is revived, and they're then well positioned to consider a contemporary take on the series somewhere down the track.

I know that's over-simplifying things, but it feels like a WB has let a great opportunity pass here, with the bonus of having another mob look after all the heavy lifting.

Hang in there, Cate - one day, one day...

Toppot

A really stupid idea, but re-release the games anyway and see who tries to sue you! If none of them can be bothered to find out who has the rights, none of them will sue!

Shouldn't be shocked or surprised, I guess, but I can't see why Warner Bros didn't enter into a licensing deal with Night Dive as a relatively low-risk, low-investment dipping of the toes into the water with the NOLF brand.

I mean, mostly because "Warner Brothers" isn't an actual thing. When a company is trying to negotiate with "Warner Brothers" for the rights to an old property, it means they're talking to someone in specific -- probably one person with a random "Vice President of X" title who is technically authorized to make a deal happen but who has no actual incentive to do so. A lot of the time, someone in that spot has huge incentives never to move a deal like this forward -- if they don't, no one else at the company will ever notice or care, while if they do, there's a chance that someone will see the deal they got and decide it wasn't good enough -- even if the deal they negotiated is literally just free money with no risk attached.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
All these fucking console devs not understanding the PC market.

Blizzard

Banned
Catching up on this thread was a rollercoaster. I never played the game(s) but heard good things about NOLF. I finally got my hopes up with the news about WB's opposition being blocked...only to see that it's dead forever. :'(

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
All these fucking console devs not understanding the PC market.

Sounds like they understand it just fine to me. They're just not interested in doing a lot of work for little payoff. I'd buy remasters of the NOLF games in a heartbeat but they're companies, not charities.

Sounds like they understand it just fine to me. They're just not interested in doing a lot of work for little payoff. I'd buy remasters of the NOLF games in a heartbeat but they're companies, not charities.

Night Dive was prepared to do all the technical legwork and be the publisher of record, with all that entails (distribution, marketing). Warner just had to I'm the licensing deal. I mean, yes, companies are not charities, but it's not like we're asking for a multi-million-dollar remaster of a game that sold seven copies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I had a feeling this was going to happen when it was said that there's news en route that people won't expect. It's definitely Fox that owns the games, though... and I suspect WB feels the same way. ND's CEO told me on Steam that talks with WB just suddenly stopped, which was followed by the opposition to the trademark filing; if I were a betting man I'd put my money on WB deliberately sabotaging ND's re-release efforts so it can chase the goose itself.

JaseC

What, exactly, makes you feel you can say this with certainty?

20th Century Fox is the listed as the copyright claimant in the Copyright.gov database, not Fox Interactive, which rules out Acti, and only the trademarks for the subtitles to the sequels went with Monolith to WB as opposed to the trademark pertaining to the IP proper, which, in addition to what I just said, rules out WB. I suppose it's theoretically possible that Fox sold off the games at some point, but you'd expect there to be a record of that somewhere -- it's a legally-binding business transaction, not selling something at a garage sale.

20th Century Fox is the listed as the copyright claimant in the Copyright.gov database, not Fox Interactive, which rules out Acti, and only the trademarks for the subtitles to the sequels went with Monolith to WB as opposed to the trademark pertaining to the IP proper, which, in addition to what I just said, rules out WB. I suppose it's theoretically possible that Fox sold off the games at some point, but you'd expect there to be a record of that somewhere -- it's a legally-binding business transaction, not selling something at a garage sale.

Okay, let me rephrase that.

If it's as simple as you make it sound, Night Dive could just go talk to Fox, forget about WB entirely, and basically dare them to sue (since they'd need to actually dig up that ownership paperwork to even do so.)

That they don't do so suggests to me that it's not nearly that simple.

JaseC

Okay, let me rephrase that.

If it's as simple as you make it sound, Night Dive could just go talk to Fox, forget about WB entirely, and basically dare them to sue (since they'd need to actually dig up that ownership paperwork to even do so.)

That they don't do so suggests to me that it's not nearly that simple.

ND did talk to Fox, actually. WB came into the picture as Fox is under the impression it doesn't own the games, presumably because it no longer has any paperwork to prove so beyond the listing in the Copyright.gov database.

I had a feeling this was going to happen when it was said that there's news en route that people won't expect. It's definitely Fox that owns the games, though... and I suspect WB feels the same way. ND's CEO told me on Steam that talks with WB just suddenly stopped, which was followed by the opposition to the trademark filing; if I were a betting man I'd put my money on WB deliberately sabotaging ND's re-release efforts so it can chase the goose itself.

If Fox still owns the IP the dream lives on

maxresdefaultrnj6i.jpg
257741-cate_archer_2juk49.jpg

long lost sister.

DO IT.

JaseC

If Fox still owns the IP the dream lives on

maxresdefaultrnj6i.jpg
257741-cate_archer_2juk49.jpg

long lost sister.

DO IT.

Well, as I said in my previous post, Fox doesn't believe it does own the games (or rather, I presume, it can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that it does), and with no trademark registration the entire IP essentially exists in limbo -- it's practically abandonware.

Even if Fox provided paperwork proving it owned the games and even if ND successfully registered its trademark, there'd still be the matter of WB owning the A Spy in HARM's Way and Contract JACK subtitles. The IP really is in the biggest mess imaginable.

Well, as I said in my previous post, Fox doesn't believe it does own the games (or rather, I presume, it can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that it does), and with no trademark registration the entire IP essentially exists in limbo -- it's practically abandonware.

Even MORE of a reason to spin it off as an Archer game, spiritual successor that circumvents the tradmark limbo while still cashing in on the brand synergy.

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME DREAM

BanGy.nz

Banned
This is heartbreaking,
I found my discs for NOLF a few weeks ago but they're scratched to the point of where they're unusable. I desperately want to replay it. :(

JaseC

Even MORE of a reason to spin it off as an Archer game, spiritual successor that circumvents the tradmark limbo while still cashing in on the brand synergy.

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME DREAM

An Archer game definitely needs to happen, I agree.

ND did talk to Fox, actually. WB came into the picture as Fox is under the impression it doesn't own the games, presumably because it no longer has any paperwork to prove so beyond the listing in the Copyright.gov database.

Yes, I read the story. My point is that making any kind of handwavey statement about who "obviously" actually owns the rights is foolish given the information we have available.

JaseC

Yes, I read the story. My point is that making any kind of handwavey statement about who "obviously" actually owns the rights is foolish given the information we have available.

Please don't condescend to me if you're unwilling to quote me properly. I didn't say "obviously" (which would have been a little insulting considering just how tangled this web is), I said "definitely" and explained the underlying logic. I don't feel the recent news stands contrary to the admittedly dated evidence we have that Fox owns the games, but if you disagree, well, okay then. That's understandable.

Top Bottom