• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No One Lives Forever Trademark Filed By Night Dive Studios (System Shock 2 Steam)

Fevaweva

Mind elaborating about the onwership of SS2 please?

From what I remember, EA owned the license but some weird insurance company owned the assets. They got it when Looking Glass Studios went bust I believe, so the game was left in limbo for years just because of that.

Until Nightdive negotiated System Shock 2's release, that is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Forsythia

Would be great to have these games on GOG and Steam. I'm not throwing away my discs, but it would be great if more people get to play these games.

Everyone can skip Contract JACK, though, that is trash.

Fuz

Banned
Would be great to have these games on GOG and Steam. I'm not throwing away my discs, but it would be great if more people get to play these games.

Everyone can skip Contract JACK, though, that is trash.

I have them boxed and I would instantly buy them on GOG too.

Monolith studios were really great for FPS lovers.

JaseC

So, Night Dive should have been awarded the trademarks yesterday, but...

Status: A request for an extension of time to file an opposition has been filed with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. For further information, see TTABVUE on the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board web page.
Status date: Oct. 22, 2014

fuwarnerp0fpi.jpg

The extension was granted (obviously), so it'll be an interesting 30 days.

JaseC

So who is opposing and why the hell haven't they bothered releasing the game?

...it's right there in the image. ;) WB is presumably contesting on the grounds that the subtitles of the sequels -- A Spy in HARM's Way and Contract JACK -- were included in the Monolith sale, but those particular trademarks have been dead for years. No One Lives Forever itself was not part of the sale, so what may happen is that Night Dive will get the green light for NOLF but HARM and JACK will be stuck in legal limbo. As for the actual copyright to the games themselves, despite Fox Interactive being absorbed into the giant blob that is Vivendi, Fox proper retained ownership.

Alternatively, maybe this was Night Dive's plan all along -- rustle somebody's feathers and let them have the trademarks if they're willing to make an effort to work with Fox to re-release the games, but WB going that extra mile strikes me as unlikely.

I played NOLF and it took a bitch to install and that keybinding.... I don't think I have the heart to do it again for the sequel. Here's hoping this refurbishing will happen!

Sendero

Still recall how the AI behavior of NOLF 2 was object/context based and not 100% predefined. Like if an NPC was near a bathroom, it would stop patrolling and then decide to go there and do its business. It made the sneaking levels more dynamic and quite a technical novelty that wasn't properly acknowledged back then. (A level editor would have been awesome)
So, Night Dive should have been awarded the trademarks yesterday, but...
fuwarnerp0fpi.jpg
The extension was granted (obviously), so it'll be an interesting 30 days.

Hope GOG got the exclusive first, so they put proper effort to make the titles more Win 8 friendly. Old Monolith was best Monolith (loved Condemned though).

Stop playing with me, WB.

(A level editor would have been awesome)

There is one, it's called DEdit I think. It was a bit difficult to master if you were used to idTech or Unreal, and considering the vastly smaller audience it's not surprising that very little was done with it.

I entered here saying how much I would love to play NOLF becuase I love the idea, the artstyle and how well people talk about it, and know I read someone has blocked this at warner bros? Fuck.

gabbo

Unless this means WB is going to get off their ass and do something about putting the license and game under one roof, they can fuck right off.

Mr. Tibbs

The NOLF games really hold up. Hopefully after Night Dive gets them on digital services they can talk to Sega (or whoever holds the rights) about AVP 2.

Jigorath

Banned
Think I still have my copy of the second game lying around somewhere. Wouldn't mind a digital copy if it ever comes out.

Sendero

There is one, it's called DEdit I think. It was a bit difficult to master if you were used to idTech or Unreal, and considering the vastly smaller audience it's not surprising that very little was done with it.
Thanks. That's nice. Sure hope it's included on the extras. Will try to look at it once it's released.

JaseC

Wasn't the NOLF franchise in the same kind of fucked up license hell as Blood?

Fox proper retained ownership of the games but the NOLF trademark itself went to Vivendi following the Fox Interactive acquisition and when WB bought Monolith, the trademarks pertaining to the subtitles of the sequels were included in the sale. By virtue of the Fox Interactive -> Vivendi Games -> Acti-Blizz shuffle, I'd imagine that Acti could lay claim to the NOLF trademark, but evidently it either believes otherwise or simply doesn't care as only WB opposed at the eleventh hour. System Shock ain't got nothing on the mess NOLF is in.

JaseC

I remembered that the extension Warner was granted had only a few days remaining, so I checked up on the proceedings again and apparently Warner requested another extension on the 13th, which was also granted:

nolf3guwp.jpg

This is getting a little ridiculous.

Pakoe

Gold Member
I remembered that the extension Warner was granted had only a few days remaining, so I checked up on the proceedings again and apparently Warner requested another extension on the 13th, which was also granted:

nolf3guwp.jpg

Goddamnit.

graywolf323

Gold Member

nolf3guwp.jpg

fucking bullshit

I want NOLF 2 on Steam now >_<

A true cockblock if there ever was one. Unless you're getting the team back for NOLF3, fuck off WB. I haven't tried in W8, but at least the classics were relatively hassle free for me on W7.

Warner's certainly going to try, it seems.

like i said before, if WB legal is involved then at least we know that something will come from this, because you don't activate the lawyer-bots for something like this unless you see $$$ at the end of this process. It's no longer a matter of if these games are coming back, but when.

JaseC

like i said before, if WB legal is involved then at least we know that something will come from this, because you don't activate the lawyer-bots for something like this unless you see $$$ at the end of this process. It's no longer a matter of if these games are coming back, but when.

I'm still not convinced. It's Fox that owns the games themselves, after all, and who knows if WB will agree to buy them outright or "lease" them as Night Dive did System Shock 2. Assuming WB is successful in opposing the trademark filings, it'll have all been for nothing if it can't come to an agreement with Fox, which is presumably something Night Dive has already done (otherwise why expend the time/money initiating and continuing the chase of this rabbit).

Parham

Banned
Fox proper retained ownership of the games but the NOLF trademark itself went to Vivendi following the Fox Interactive acquisition and when WB bought Monolith, the trademarks pertaining to the subtitles of the sequels were included in the sale. By virtue of the Fox Interactive -> Vivendi Games -> Acti-Blizz shuffle, I'd imagine that Acti could lay claim to the NOLF trademark, but evidently it either believes otherwise or simply doesn't care as only WB opposed at the eleventh hour. System Shock ain't got nothing on the mess NOLF is in.

Edit: Woops! Misread your post.

Top Bottom