• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No online multiplayer for NBA JAM Wii

Guevara

Just a total disaster. There's no definitive edition of NBA Jam, each is disappointing in its own way :lol

I'm glad I'm a multi console owner, but that's really shitty for say, wii-only lapsed gamers who might might want to to play this, remembering the originals from their childhood.

antonz

Ploid 3.0 said:
Was it expected? I thought that was one of the reasons people wanted it on ps3.

They were saying it would have online multiplayer if they could lock in the framerate. Guess they couldnt or just stringing people along.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
That confirms what system to get it for. I was up for giving the Wii version a chance, but not anymore.

farnham

Banned
Guevara said:
Just a total disaster. There's no definitive edition of NBA Jam, each is disappointing in its own way :lol
yes there is its called the PS3-360 version
- better graphics
- freebie to NBA Elite

Mutagenic said:
That confirms what system to get it for. I was up for giving the Wii version a chance, but not anymore.
they should just cancel the wii version at this point. who will buy this on the wii anyway ?

YagizY

Gotta milk it for NBA JAM 2!

As a huge fan of the original this is disappointing. The console versions are really too stripped down while the Wii version is feature packed but lacks online multiplayer. Probably will pick up the Wii version regardless because the game is more fun to play multiplayer in the same room than online but it's disappointing that the feature is not there.

Also NBA Jam on PS3/360 isn't officially released until they put it up on PSN/XBLA in my mind. Requiring people to buy Elite is pretty dumb and I don't really see their angle working. I'll DL it once its on PSN.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Damnit, I was really looking forward to online play that so locked out it felt like I was playing the A.I.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
I'm glad I'm a multi console owner, but that's really shitty for say, wii-only lapsed gamers who might might want to to play this, remembering the originals from their childhood.
Because wii-only lapsed gamers were the only ones wanting for online functionality for the wii version, right? :roll I don't want NBA Elite, so this means i'm not buying the game, pity.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It would be the funniest shit ever if they released a retail 3DS version with online multiplayer :lol

I really enjoyed it at PAX. And frankly, I don't know if I'd care for having Online Multi as much as most people here claim they would.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
farnham said:
yes there is its called the PS3-360 version
- better graphics
- freebie to NBA Elite

they should just cancel the wii version at this point. who will buy this on the wii anyway ?
No, because you miss out on the extra game modes, which happen to look decent.

farnham

Banned
shwimpy said:
Because shovelware on the Wii is also priced at 50?
yeah but you can get it free elsewhere its below shovelware its freeware

Mutagenic said:
No, because you miss out on the extra game modes, which happen to look decent.
there is one storymode. thats all. if you want to pay 50 dollars for a story mode thats your choice of course. but for me its way too overpriced.

farnham

Banned
Caesar III said:
Because they can?

What a dumb desicion :(
ill be very surprised if they crack any decent numbers with this

its not like NBA Jam is a big time mainstream franchise

ultron87 said:
It's not free if you just bought another game to get it.
buy the game. get the free code. sell the game. that easy. no way the game will cost you 50 dollars

Haunted

So all versions are gimped one way or another? Makes sense, a definitive version would just prevent people from buying the other versions.
ahuahuahuahua

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ultron87 said:
So we need a copy of the Wii version and NBA Elite to get the full NBA Jam package. God damnit EA.
Playing both versions at the same time won't be easy.

farnham said:
there is one storymode. thats all. if you want to pay 50 dollars for a story mode thats your choice of course. but for me its way too overpriced.
Plus the extra minigames that come from said Remix mode. Plus probably most of the unlockable stuff and secret characters, I'm going to imagine. Plus, like others have said, you have to buy another game that many people probably don't want and you won't get a good buyback value for once you flip it since A) it's a sports game, and B) you've taken the NBA Jam code.

The point is, there's no version of this game that isn't gimped and EA has just saved me $50. Thanks guys!

jlevel13

It's strange, since so many (all?) of EA Sports other Wii releases do have online, from Grand Slam Tennis to FIFA etc... doesn't seem like it would be that big of a challenge

farnham

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Plus the extra minigames that come from said Remix mode. Plus probably most of the unlockable stuff and secret characters, I'm going to imagine. Plus, like others have said, you have to buy another game that many people probably don't want and you won't get a good buyback value for once you flip it since A) it's a sports game, and B) you've taken the NBA Jam code.

The point is, there's no version of this game that isn't gimped and EA has just saved me $50. Thanks guys!
yeah that stuff will probably come as dlc next year. its EA. the wii version will utterly bomb and they will say that the 360.ps3 crowd are the only ones that loved the game so they are adding those stuff. its a clear strategy imo. its just not understandable why they waste development money and production costs on a wii version that no one will buy.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
So all versions are gimped one way or another? Makes sense, a definitive version would just prevent people from buying the other versions.
ahuahuahuahua
The new upgraded version of "if you want the full experience, you have to pre-order the game from multiple retailers".

farnham

Banned
FoneBone said:
Casuals who either won't know or won't care about the HD versions
i dont think there is an appeal to the casuals though. think about it. its a arcade basketball game that was popular in the 90s. its not like any casual gamer will recognize the name.

Top Bottom