• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PC no buy

Filben

I have a 3080, PS5 & XSX and I still mainly play on my PS5 for anything that's not on or coming to gamepass. But if I outlayed the money for a 4090, considering the cost, I'd feel guilty not making it my main gaming platform lol

I still love my PS5, I can't explain why, couch gaming mixed with my favourite controller is probably the reason.
This could be me. Same hardware safe the XSX, same feelings, same controller preferences.

I love all my systems, each for their own advantages.

.Pennywise

Banned
ok, sorry if I misread your post, it sounded like you gave up everything for a steam deck? So you also have a gaming PC?
I do.

I've got a desktop PC in my studio for work and gaming.
And another gaming PC on my living room for couch gaming and media.
So I have 2. If you count Steam Deck then that's 3.

Answering some of your posts people.

• Yes, I can still do couch play on my TV and use controller (also wireless kb+m). So no, I did not give up on that.
  • Yes, I'm still a gamer (for those saying I'm not a "real gamer" anymore just because I don't own a PS5).
  • Yes, I can wait a whole year or two for a game to come out in PC if I wanted to play, not a kid anymore.
  • And to add to that last point. No, there's no game that makes me go out of my way to go running to buy because it's the shit. That's what made me switch to PC platform only, consoles exclusives are not as awesome nor innovative, nor as unique as they used to be.
  • EDIT: Forgot to add something pretty important about this last gen in regards to PC. Optimizations problems now are on consoles too. And thankfully those are minimal for me because I have really beefy PCs.

Last edited:

SNG32

I made the jump to PC late last Gen when I bought a decent gaming laptop. I have a PS5, Series X and Switch and my gaming laptop with a 3070 gets the most play out of the four. Being able to play every almost every fighting game and Jrpg ever made through emulation and steam I feel like I can never get bored because there's always something to play either new or old. Something that the new consoles can't do. I was just playing Freedom wars at 4k resolution through the emulator Vita3k and it was a great experience. I know most people don't like the tinkering with setting up games through pc but it's so rewarding as hardcore gamer when you get shit to work.

With Nintendo Switch Emulation, PS exclusives and Xbox exclusives and retro gaming. PC is my main platform.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think back at my pc years and now I rep consoles, controllers are amazing.

Gamers Ps GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:
I've been this way since the end of the 360 ps3 cycle. I still have the old 360 and PS3. But swapped over to PC since. The main advantage of console was that I didn't need to tinker with the game and worry about compatibility issues. But software development have come a long way, I no longer have to worry about getting a game to work on my PC any more, so the main advantage that console had over PC is no longer an issue.

Pennywise is an idiot but lol I actually agree here with him/her/it

I think back at my pc years and now I rep consoles, controllers are amazing.

Gamers Ps GIF by PlayStation
at least pick a good controller not the DS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

my 360/xb1 controllers are the best controller i've used on PC. and yes i've used playstation (and nintendo) controllers. nothing beats microsoft controllers on Windows.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you have a good Pc and don’t care about couch gaming and don’t mind missing or waiting on some console games then it makes sense.

RagnarokIV

Same here man. I even made a second PC, a "console PC", that's a SFF build with a 3070 for next to the TV. It actually replaces the PS5 I sold.

Teletraan1

Banned
The switch was my last console. I am never buying another console again. I will be PC only for the rest of my life. I can play games on my PC that I bought in 2003 on steam. All of my console game purchases are locked to some dead hardware and a total waste of money. I guess MS has decent BC but I never felt they offered me anything more than a PC would and who knows if the next guy who will be there running things will value BC as much. I don't play much AAA new release so I am fine with sticking to PC.

iQuasarLV

I do.

I've got a desktop PC in my studio for work and gaming.
And another gaming PC on my living room for couch gaming and media.
So I have 2. If you count Steam Deck then that's 3.

Answering some of your posts people.

• Yes, I can still do couch play on my TV and use controller (also wireless kb+m). So no, I did not give up on that.
  • Yes, I'm still a gamer (for those saying I'm not a "real gamer" anymore just because I don't own a PS5).
  • Yes, I can wait a whole year or two for a game to come out in PC if I wanted to play, not a kid anymore.
  • And to add to that last point. No, there's no game that makes me go out of my way to go running to buy because it's the shit. That's what made me switch to PC platform only, consoles exclusives are not as awesome nor innovative, nor as unique as they used to be.
  • EDIT: Forgot to add something pretty important about this last gen in regards to PC. Optimizations problems now are on consoles too. And thankfully those are minimal for me because I have really beefy PCs.
Agreed about couch gaming. Especially with Steam in big screen mode, might as well say we are using a superior console experience in some ways. I find myself using the controller more often when the game supports it.

Minsc

Gold Member
The switch was my last console. I am never buying another console again. I will be PC only for the rest of my life. I can play games on my PC that I bought in 2003 on steam. All of my console game purchases are locked to some dead hardware and a total waste of money. I guess MS has decent BC but I never felt they offered me anything more than a PC would and who knows if the next guy who will be there running things will value BC as much. I don't play much AAA new release so I am fine with sticking to PC.

I do love handhelds - as one the Switch is amazing - even if it sucks at AAA ports, there's always a good 50+ worthwhile games on a handheld to play. As a console, yeah, the system leaves a bit to be desired. And the upgrade path doesn't matter quite so much on a handheld, because they're self-contained devices, as long as they still work, that's enough.

Midn1ght

I've been 99% PC for the last 8 years or so and loving it. For me, power is secondary in my choice and Steam is probably the main reason: Incredible library, good price thanks to multiple store selling Steam keys, Steam Deck, really nice community features, ect... Don't know why, but playing on console makes me feel lonely in a weird way. I love how each game has a community hub on Steam with guides, forum, screenshot/artwork sharing, etc... It's also so easy to manage DLC and add-on on Steam.

It also doesn't really matter to me where you prefer to play. You prefer consoles? Great! You love PC? Cool! You play on everything? Awesome!
As long as you're enjoying the hobby and having a great time, it doesn't matter where you play.

oji-san

Banned
Bye.

Just kidding... it's a legitimate view, i also played almost only on PC for a year and a half when i got my RX 590 PC, it was great to play some games on 60fps when on console they were limited to 30fps, had a very good time. Now i enjoy consoles much more.
Have a good time where ever you play, also now PC gets all Xbox games day one, PS games will come in a few months/years, only Nintendo to wait for them to decide to come over to PC, so you're in good place. :)

What is next gen gameplay? Dragging crosshairs with a helicopter like stick with aim assists+claw grip, same since GE 007? Or it's the new dildo's vibrations?

Don't subestime aim assists, auto aim, claw grip, L3/R3, shit slow inventory management lovers.

And auto lock on/aim for everything in Diablo, even melee attacks. 🤷‍♂️

At least he doesn't need aim assists and claw grip.
We get it by now

dcx4610

I'm mostly the same but I still buy Nintendo consoles since they are usually radically different and a nice companion piece. I do have a PS5 but I haven't turned it on since I bought it and my mindset for console games is exclusives only. Everything else on PC.

That said, my back log is so big on PC that I'm never in a rush to play really anything. It takes something truly special for me to feel like I need it day 1. There are still games like God of War, Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima that I still haven't played and want to but with 2 of the 3 having PC releases, I can just wait.

Consoles are a great value for the money and I will never bash them. I just love PCs and they are more than just gaming to me. It's really my all-in-one entertainment system. I treat my PC like most people treat their TVs. If I'm home, I'm probably at my PC so it's were I prefer to play games.

GarlicPrawn

Neo Member
I have a PS5 and every now and then I’ll be tempted to switch to PC when I see games like Sons of the forest and cool mods on other games. Especially now with PS exclusives coming to PC, the temptation is bigger. However, going to PC I want it to be a worthwhile jump in graphics, fps for that wow-factor and a bit future-proofing and that means at minimum something like an rtx 3080 or amd equivalent. I know the rtx3070 is also much better than a ps5, but a 3080 would be more worthwhile i believe.

2 years ago I had assembled a basic tier pc for music production 2, but had no upgrade path in mind at that time. It has a i5-10600(non-k), Asrock z490 phantom and 16gb 2666 ram. Taking into account a decent monitor, a new psu and possibly new mobo or cpu, the whole upgrade would set me back around 1200-1500 euro’s (Netherlands new part prices). Seconhand could be had for lower, but I cant bring myself to spend even half of this budget on used parts with the possibility of not being able to RMA parts.

Seeing complaints about poor PC optimization, other technical issues and the steep upgrade path I’m finding it difficult to decide. (Would probably sell ps5 btw to compensate some of the cost).

GarlicPrawn

Neo Member
I work on KBM all day. The last thing I want is to be on it again in the evenings. Controller is all I play even tho I am better with KBM.
I’ve mostly played on consoles so for me a controller feels more natural, but I do see the advantage of having KBM with some games with hot keys and stuff. Also my focus has mostly switched to adventure and single player games which works great with a controller

nemiroff

Gold Member
Your loss.When the new PS5 games drop everyone will play them and have fun.you have to wait 1-2 years to play.If it comes at all to PC. after that time most multiplayer gamers will have moved on to other games so you will be playing not so relevant games.It was a mistake to sell the PS5 all ps studios will release new games you have to wait a long time to play them

I'm sorry but have you seen the kinds of games people play on PC? It's not exactly a top of the pops front loaded space.. Playstation games aren't nearly as interesting nor important to the PC audience as you think. I'm glad to see Sony on PC, but "waiting" for their games isn't exactly the biggest problem in the world.

Azzurri

I haven't touched a console since I bought my PS4 in 2014 and I played in a handful of times.

I would say the last time I played a console game was at least 5 years ago probably more.

I use to play a TON in the 360/PS3 era.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have all the consoles, but find myself mostly drawn to PC these days - especially since the Steam Deck released. I play mostly on a controller, but some games I prefer M+KB, and that's the cool thing about PC is that you can choose how you want to play. Long gone are the days when every game on PC had to be tweaked to get working right. The most I'll do nowadays (if I even care enough) is to find an ultrawide fix if the game doesn't natively support it.

I've got my PC hooked up to my TV for couch gaming, and wireless Xbox Series controllers connected to it anyway. Pick up controller, switch TV inputs, play. Easy.

Second place for me is the Switch. Yes, I know that the PC can easily emulate Switch games. But that's a huge hassle to get working exactly right with every game - and the only benefit is typically miniscule (sometimes better FPS or resolution, usually not). It's also a pain in the ass doing stuff like syncing saves between multiple devices (I have a PC, a laptop, and a Steam Deck after all) and everything on the Nintendo $20/year service just works. And the games just work. It's easy. When I have time to play video games, I want it to be easy.

Seider

I like the way the op says all that as if he was sad doing that.

Poor gaming user, upset by console gaming.

Top Bottom