• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PS4, Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

[Nintex]

truly101 said:
I'm not sure how many developers want to spend the millions it would run to develop for the new systems, especially with the economy in free fall right now. Most people say the 2008 recession did impact the video game market, this current issue could be worse as you have some people and businesses that never recovered from 2008.
If there's a market for $450 R2D2 Xbox 360's and $399 Kinect bundles, there's a market for $399 Xbox 720's. Just put Halo 4 on there, instant win for holiday 2012. They could even pull a Twilight Princess and do a cross platform release. I'm not sure if they're able to get it out that fast but it must've certainly come up during one of the meetings.

StevieP

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Wouldn't it be ironic if MS and Sony went with waggle controls being standard for next gen while Nintendo goes back to a more tradtional controller like with what we have for WiiU?

Motion controls of some kind will be standard for all 3 next gen systems.

Koralsky

TheExecutive said:
People who say the current gen is fine are nuts. I want more fricking memory.

Ok, we are.

2014, please. If I want more aye-candy, there's always PCs.

2014-2015 for real jump in visual fidelity, that even casual gamers will notice.

starok

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Even my brother who is a peasant to the core isn't happy with his xbox anymore.
Went on a family visit and he bought 3 new games and he ended up spending all his gaming time playing AOE3 (which I brought along) on our mom's old pc instead.

Guess he eventually got tired of a platform with nothing but shooters, bro games and shovelware on it.

Now he set up a piggy bank (he's only 17:p) at her place to save for an entry level gaming pc.

How this kind of shitty troll is allowed is beyond me.

daedalius

TheExecutive said:

When I sit down to play Skyrim, I really doubt I'll be thinking that. Must be nuts.

Lionheart1337 said:
*yawn* console gamer problems.

You may have misconstrued what is happening in this post. One side is measuring their e-peens while the other doesn't care.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Wouldn't it be ironic if MS and Sony went with waggle controls being standard for next gen while Nintendo goes back to a more tradtional controller like with what we have for WiiU?

It would be...something.

Ironic isn't it though.

[Nintex]

bigdaddygamebot said:
It would be...something.

Ironic isn't it though.
Would also be a waste of all the people MS hired like all those talented folks at 343i and the guy they specifically hired to "broaden their stable of AAA+ franchises like Halo, Forza and Fable."

qcf x2

Some people are still satisfied with PS2. Poor excuse to save money. For that they oughtta slash prices on new releases, but they won't, and they'll say it's for the good of the consumer.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't need a new console now, but 2014 is a bit to long IMO. That means probably 2 1/2 to maybe even 3 and 1/2 more years. Shit is getting long in the tooth already, but now it's not the time for a reset. Still I was hoping more for maybe fall 2013 which would give us roughly another 2 years.

Plus I feel by fall 2013 we ought to be able to create a cheaper lunch box that is still a substantial jump over what we have now. I see no reason why in 2 years we can't have an amazing technical speced system priced at $300 launch wise verses $400+.

yurinka

ThisWreckage said:
The PS3 is still 299.99. I think we won't be seeing a new console, at least from Sony, for a while.
I this it won't have this 299.99 price in 2012. I think it's coming a $50 pricecut, that would be even be $100 (difficult but possible) this year.

duk said:
fall 2013 or spring 2014 is perfect
I would spring 2014 with a new Wipeout and Naughty Dog's new IP as release games.

TheExecutive said:
I would bet that current HD gen is the one with the best metascore in game reviews.

Reallink

daedalius said:
When I sit down to play Skyrim, I really doubt I'll be thinking that. Must be nuts.

Yea you will, because the "seams" are really starting to become apparent on current gen console and quickly break the illusion of the world. Especially a title as large and ambitious as Skyrim. Horrible aliasing, some stupid AI, conspicuously low res texture, stiff animations, etc... You're lying to yourself if you honestly think you won't have any internal commentary going on about those kinds of things. Sure, you'll be pretty engrossed a lot or even most of the time, but lets not kidd ourselves, you will notice several artifacts of the insufficient hardware.

[Nintex]

yurinka said:
I would bet that current HD gen is the one with the best metascore in game reviews.
That's because despite of print dying, the current 'game review' business is bigger than ever.

Lionheart1337 said:
Enjoy your crappy textures.

Holy fuck...have some perspective.

I hope you're young(ish) and that's why you're being as beligerant as you are. Games don't need to look better. They definitely will next gen (by how much, who knows) but the current state of gaming when it comes to graphics is certainly not "crappy".

Go_Ly_Dow

daedalius said:
I'll make sure to get really close and take a screen-cap, then post it so I can complain.

2yydr47.gif

[Nintex]

Alan Wake is a good example actually, it looked great thanks to the lighting but the image was rather blurry due to the low resolution. I'd rather have it crisp and clean.

Also that next-gen power won't all be going to graphics, you guys are really playing the Nintendo E3 2006 card.

I say fire on those tesselators!

whitehawk

Banned
2013 plzzzzz :(

I want a new system. We don't need them as bad as we did in 2004/2005, but I still want a new one. in 2013 the XBox 360 will be 8 years old man.

Reallink

M_Night said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2yydr47.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Yes that's funny and all, but Alan Wake really does look borderline SD. Probably the worst offender of the generation IMO (at least of the titles I've played).

daedalius

Reallink said:
Yea you will, because the "seams" are really starting to become apparent on current gen console and quickly break the illusion of the world. Especially a title as large and ambitious as Skyrim. Horrible aliasing, some stupid AI, conspicuously low res texture, stiff animations, etc... You're lying to yourself if you honestly think you won't have any internal commentary going on about those kinds of things. Sure, you'll be pretty engrossed a lot or even most of the time, but lets not kidd ourselves, you will notice several artifacts of the insufficient hardware.

So, what current game has this problem where I would have likely noticed it already?

Because I haven't... so I really doubt I will. And really? All those things you listed are magically fixed when playing on a high end PC?

The AI is different between Crysis on the PC and Crysis on the 360, or Skyrim PC and 360?

Do they shoot different animations for PC and 360, so more work for animators? I assure you, the horrible animations in Fallout 3 are present in both the console AND PC versions.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Do you really think that those things are different? Textures and AA are about the only thing that is going to be different.

I'm pretty sure that gif encapsulates the absurdity of this discussion.

Personally, I still think we'll see MS and Sony's next console offerings in '13. They don't want the WiiU setting fire to their asses for too long. I'm personally still amazed at how much better this game looks than oblivion on paper. The final test will obviously come later this year but for now, color me surprised.

[Nintex]

daedalius said:
So, what current game has this problem where I would have likely noticed it already?

Because I haven't... so I really doubt I will. And really? All those things you listed are magically fixed when playing on a high end PC?

The AI is different between Crysis on the PC and Crysis on the 360, or Skyrim PC and 360?

Do they shoot different animations for PC and 360, so more work for animators? I assure you, the horrible animations in Fallout 3 are present in both the console AND PC versions.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Do you really think that those things are different? Textures and AA are about the only thing that is going to be different.
Don't worry friend as EA's new COO Peter Moore will take us to the promised land soon enough.

gunbo13 said:
Why do you assume that will be the case?

Sorry. Had to go do some work.

I say that based on some of the more recent information we have about Wii U. We found out that early info was at best based on the first dev kits and that Nintendo's final target has virtually no resemblence to an R700 GPU. Then there is also the expected large amount eDRAM for the CPU and possibly for the GPU as well. It sounds like it will be very Gamecube-like in its development. There's no denying the other two will be more powerful, but the gap won't be like it was with Wii and I believe the gap between them will be smaller than the gap between current PCs and the PS360.

Reallink

daedalius said:

I'm pretty sure that gif encapsulates the absurdity of this discussion.

Who's talking about PC's, I thought this was a thread about next gen consoles? I suppose PS420 will be somewhat equivalent to a decent modern PC, but that's where the discussion ends. 95% of high production PC titles are either direct ports of the console versions or are designed around the constraints of consoles. Would those things be "magically fixed" if next-gen hardware was here, or PC games weren't designed to current gen specs? Yes, they absolutely would. Everything from AI, to animations, to textures would be radically different if developed for modern hardware.

Brofist

daedalius said:

You may have misconstrued what is happening in this post. One side is measuring their e-peens while the other doesn't care.
Meanwhile in every "next gen console wish list" topic every post lists

- all games 1080p
- better textures
- 60fps
- _____ amount of RAM

Etc, etc...

Cause you don't care right?

Bay Maximus said:
Personally, I still think we'll see MS and Sony's next console offerings in '13. They don't want the WiiU setting fire to their asses for too long. I'm personally still amazed at how much better this game looks than oblivion on paper. The final test will obviously come later this year but for now, color me surprised.

What game? Scyrim? It looks exactly the same to me, only a different setting

Top Bottom