• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PS4, Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

"Consumers are happy" with current hardware, claims Bethesda's Howard

When asked by PSM3 magazine how long he thinks we'll have to wait for successors to PS3 and Xbox 360, Howard said he thinks "consumers are happy" with current hardware.

"I think it's going to be a while still, I really do. I think consumers are happy with the current ones, there's a lot you can do with them," he said. "So I don't think it's coming next year or the year after."

Quizzed on earlier comments that Bethesda was considering waiting until the next PlayStation and Xbox hardware to release Skyrim, Howard said that conversations over moving the title to next-gen consoles were "very serious".

"We want [Skyrim] to be fresh. We don't want it to feel, visually or technically, 'Oh this is Fallout 3' or 'this is Oblivion' And if we couldn't do that we would have waited," he said.

2K global president Christoph Hartmann recently claimed Microsoft and Sony are already "experimenting" with Kinect and Move for what could be the foundations of their next-generation console plans.

Link

gunslingerNZ

Neo Member
Doubt it will be that long, not that I would mind if it is. My feeling is they're going to want to at least plant some rumours prior to the Wii-U release in order to dent its sales. I still think we can expect a 2012 announcement and a holiday 2013 release.

HolyTaco

shagg_187 said:
Skyrim? Don't you mean Scrolls 6?

Nah he's saying if they weren't able to make Skyrim feel fresh they would've waited till next gen, but they were able too (make it feel fresh)

Radec

Risk Breaker said:
Good, I guess. PS3 still has to get to 150$ at least, after all.

PS3 will get to that range with or without the PS4.

Just like how low the PS2 went.

GavinGT

Banned
Please be true. I don't need better graphics on my consoles, just new experiences.

If I need my fill of eye candy, I play on my PC.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah before Skyrim was announced I was hoping Bethesda would wait until next gen for The Elder Scrolls 5. That wait would have been far to long however, and I think they made the right choice.

I am hoping for 2013, but we will see. As long as the jump is big enough to last us another 8 years.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Obviously. Why would they release new consoles so soon when the current ones are doing so well, especially after bleeding heavily at the start of this gen. I mean the PS3 still has to get to mass market penetration price point. The Xbox 360 is doing so well in its 6th year as well.

But it seems MS will release their new console before Sony.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Good. The last thing I want is to have the reset button pushed and we go back to shitty launch window tech demos and massive lulls in release schedules. I'm perfectly happy with the current consoles, and I don't think most publishers would be able to survive another massive hike in development costs.

MasterRace.jpg

Ushojax said:
Good. The last thing I want is to have the reset button pushed and we go back to shitty launch window tech demos and massive lulls in release schedules. I'm perfectly happy with the current consoles, and I don't think most publishers would be able to survive another massive hike in development costs.
The PC version of Skyrim will run at 1080p/60FPS and great AA with the proper machine WITH NO ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT COSTS

DID I BLOW YOUR MIND

Im happy on holding off a new console. I'd rather see a next gen console with a huge technical jump over one that is rushed out the gate.

Go big or go home.

Loonz said:
If this is true, this means that WiiU will be ¿2 years alone in the market?.

Iwata: "Laughs"?

It'll be treated as another PS3/360 by developers, any hardware advantage will scarcely be used by developers outside of Nintendo.

Do Sony and Microsoft have a lot of Nintendo stock? Cause they really know how to make the playfield as comfortable as possible for Nintendo (if true).

Loonz

BlazingDarkness said:
It'll be treated as another PS3/360 by developers, any hardware advantage will scarcely be used by developers outside of Nintendo.

I don't think Nintendo particularly cares, as long as WiiU gets support and is somehow ready for downports from the next Sony-MS consoles.

EDIT after reading antonz post: If WiiU managed to get enough userbase by the time MS-Sony next-gen consoles are released, wouldn't they suffer the same problem?. I mean, they would get up-ports form WiiU, in the beginning at least.

GavinGT said:
There's no reason to counter the Wii U with new systems.

LoL Why?.

antonz

First off thread title should have been

Skyrim Boss guesses no PS4/720 before 2014.

Secondly leaving Nintendo to have 2+ years to build the Wii U base would be a disaster for MS and Sony. Even on the low end of power the Wii U will be packing enough to be a force to reckon with if the Wii U is allowed to get 20-30 million sales before the others even launch.

HolyTaco

shagg_187 said:
Gah I meant Scrolls 5. Fail joke is failed.

Haha, I wondered if you were jokin bout the notch v Bethesda, Scrolls debacle but you said 6 sooo thought you were serious -_-

I'm pretty excited about the next gen of consoles, powerful PCs being ~10x the power of current console hardware, but so much of that is lost on overheads it'll be great to see such powerful hardware used properly in consoles.

daffy

Banned
polyh3dron said:
The PC version of Skyrim will run at 1080p/60FPS and great AA with the proper machine WITH NO ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT COSTS

DID I BLOW YOUR MIND
Is this masster race stuff necessary? reminds me of the PS3v360 garbage. My system better than yours nah nah nah nah anaaa

insufferable.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Medalion said:
Wii-U will have quite a free ride till then
Well the developers won't ignore the 100 million PS3/X360 install base, so most probably it will get a lot of ports for the first two years.

Loonz said:
I don't think Nintendo particularly cares, as long as WiiU gets support and is somehow ready for downports from the next Sony-MS consoles.

No but there's this WiiU free-ride mentality, but it won't have one, it'll be competing with current gen hardware, trying to get people to adopt to the WiiU and in a few years it'll be competing to try and keep WiiU owners from buying Sony and MS next systems, it's got the hardest job IMO - because Nintendo can't rely on the casual boom that the Wii favoured from.

Seems to me he wants to release a new fall out for this gen consoles.
Or need till to 2014 to release a new game on next gen consoles.

Me only exclusive i think im getting is next year is either something from alan wake and halo 4. Rest is all pc gaming.

dragonelite said:
Seems to me he wants to release a new fall out for this gen consoles.
Or need till to 2014 to release a new game on next gen consoles.
Your name is too similar to mine! For a second I thought it was my post. Then I saw the avatar.

Brother?

Loonz

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Competing against two cheaper consoles?

We don't know Nintendo's pricing scheme for WiiU yet. PS3 and Xbox 360 will be cheaper than now by the time WiiU is released, that's for sure. I wouldn't bet at WiiU having a too steep price difference against those, and again, by when the PS4 and 720 (tentative names) are finally released Nintendo could play the "it's cheaper and already has catalog" card again.

DonMigs85

Quite amazing that we're stuck with DirectX 9 technology until 2014.
Well, maybe Wii U will bring us DirectX 10 glory at least.

Medalion said:
People like new-er technology, and Nintendo

Win win
The 3DS fiasco shows that consumers aren't particularly brand loyal, price comes first
Also, if the WiiU is subject just to up-ports prior to Sony/MS next consoles then it'll have a hard time shining as newer technology

Medalion

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
The 3DS fiasco shows that consumers aren't particularly brand loyal, price comes first
Also, if the WiiU is subject just to up-ports prior to Sony/MS next consoles then it'll have a hard time shining as newer technology
If Nintendo can give a competitive price to even the 360/PS3 and have a good software launch lineup, they can avoid the supposed 3DS fiasco

BlazingDarkness said:
No, the 3DS just doesn't have much to offer (yet).. And people aren't that blown away by 3D.

a1m

Banned
I for one am satisfied with the PS3 and why not for the X360 at the moment and there really is no need for a new generation.

I'm not going to buy WiiU.

Top Bottom