• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"No Religion" is now the largest religious group in the US, survey finds

CyberPanda

Banned
f8x8Ifxl.png

For the first time "No Religion" has topped a survey of Americans' religious identity, according to a new analysis by a political scientist. The non-religious edged out Catholics and evangelicals in the long-running General Social Survey.

Ryan Burge, a political scientist at Eastern Illinois University and a Baptist pastor, found that 23.1% of Americans now claim no religion.

Robyn Blumner, executive director of the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason & Science, sees the change as a generational trend driven by millennials.

"We are seeing the rise of a generation of Americans who are hungry for facts and curious about the world," she says.
Whatever the causes, the non-religious represent a growing constituency. Yet this demographic is greatly underrepresented in Washington's halls of power. There is not a single open atheist amid the most diverse Congress in history, according to a Pew study.

Continued Here

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
This trend jives with the stories in God's books (e.g., the Torah, Bible, and Quran). As we become wealthier, we tend to gravitate towards secularism. Then something mean-reverting happens that makes people believers again (like a flood, or another global disaster, where that wealth declines).

Mista

Banned
Not surprised. We have a large group of them here. Never imagined we would reach to that extent. People with weak faith and belief tends to go this way..

bitbydeath

Surprised it took this long honestly.
You don’t even have to look far to see holes in the story like not having a body means you wouldn’t feel anything in hell so torture would be completely overrated.

Weilthain

Banned
I grew up atheist and until pretty recently was one of those assholes who belittled religious people. I’m not religious but a bit more open to spiritual/non scientific stuff.

I’m a little bit sceptical when they say shit like “we know exactly what happened a gagillion bullion years ago down to the second”, shut the fuck up no you don’t.

“We know what’s going on a billiongagillionppiññion miles out into space” shut the fuck up no you don’t. That’s maths and cartoons.

Yes I’m stupid, no I don’t believe the earth is flat. Yes I have some weird ideas about life but so do you it’s good to be open minded about things no one actually knows the impossible truth about.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of religion doesn't translate to religious identity since there isn't one. Goddamn CNN this is retarded.

Antoon

Banned
Its no surprise Atheism rises in the info age, but it will drop substantially in a decade or so when Zoomers start having their own families.

I’ve seen a lot of people who claim “no religion”, and yet worship at the altar of intersectionality. Religion is alive and well. It’s just that people have no room for gods when black lives matter more.

Ulysses 31

I think they meant this is a joke, they couldn't be that dumb right?
Guess you didn't see any of the Christopher Hitchens/Sam Harris/Richard Dawkins religion - atheism debates, "new atheism" is a religion was brought up in almost every debate. >.>

Pagusas

Elden Member
Makes you wonder what happened in the 90's that really push things into overdrive. Was it mass media? The internet? Personally I think it was the Simpsons. Specifically the episode where Homer skips Sunday mass.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol what a misleading chart up top

"No Religion" - 23%
Catholic + Evangelical + Mainline Protestant + Other Denominations =

23 + 23 + 14 + 11 = 71%

im mostly disturbed by the idea that 23% is larger than 71% and is being promoted as such. but this wouldn't be the first time CNN tried to crowbar an agenda even in the face of facts saying the exact opposite.

maybe the Richard Dawkins Science of Reason people need to learn math.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

lol what a misleading chart up top

"No Religion" - 23%
Catholic + Evangelical + Mainline Protestant + Other Denominations =

23 + 23 + 14 + 11 = 71%

im mostly disturbed by the idea that 23% is larger than 71% and is being promoted as such. but this wouldn't be the first time CNN tried to crowbar an agenda even in the face of facts saying the exact opposite.

maybe the Richard Dawkins Science of Reason people need to learn math.
It's still accurate, they are the biggest group according to the chart. That in your mind somehow it also means it's the majority is your mistake. :lollipop_grinning:

iconmaster

Banned
This was always the case, people are now just willing to admit it.

It's much better for the church to be a distinct people rather than be muddled in with a Christianized society -- though I regret losing certain aspects of that, like no one working on Sunday.

Top Bottom