• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Stupid Questions - Gaming Edition

Have a burning question that Google can't easily answer? Feel stupid asking something to friends/Peers? Have a question that doesn't fit into another thread or you think isn't worth starting a new thread for (Probably like this)?

Ask away. A Gaming safe space. No sniggering, No pisstaking, just a show of gaming brotherhood.

I'll start.

Is there such a thing as TOO Many Frames per second? Is there a point, apart from the point the eye can't see it, that it becomes needless or problematic?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why is frame pacing such a hard issues for developer to get right, especially on PC? Why is that the community can usually fix these day one with things like Rivatuner but dev's cant?

As for your question OP, i can at least tell you for some games capping the frame rate significantly reduces GPU load and heat generation/power draw, especially if you are capping at your display rate.

As for your question OP, i can at least tell you for some games capping the frame rate significantly reduces GPU load and heat generation/power draw, especially if you are capping at your display rate.

But do high end PC gamers see a difference between say 150fps and 180? If not, when do Manufacturers stop trying to out do each other and concentrate on other things? Is Ray Tracing the new FPS battle?

I'm not really a PC gamer so I'm not up to speed on it all, but I am interested.

yurqqa

But do high end PC gamers see a difference between say 150fps and 180? If not, when do Manufacturers stop trying to out do each other and concentrate on other things? Is Ray Tracing the new FPS battle?

I'm not really a PC gamer so I'm not up to speed on it all, but I am interested.

The gaming world is ruled by consoles for 2,5 generations now - all the visually impressive games are targeting the consoles first and foremost.
Last visually impressive game that was designed for PC was Crysis. It was released 13 years ago.

So all developers are doing to use PC power are usually higher resolution, more fps, better textures.
But even with all that top of the line video cards could give 180 fps in the end of the console generation if the game was somewhat optimized.
Last generation the difference in CPU power was also huge, so higher fps were easily available from CPU point of view also.
No one want to spend too much budget to make PC specific version with special graphics tricks or improved AI and destruction.

Hence a little bit better looking games on PC with much higher framerate.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Imagine you were making a small indie game. How would you get it to reach as many people as possible?

bender

What time is it?

tenor.gif

CamHostage

I could look this up, and I think I kind of get it somewhat (the original term has become a bit of a misnomer), but... what is a "Shader"?

And why are there so many things now that don't have anything to do with "shading a surface" (like fur/grass and water and even audio) that are now done with Shaders? Why is everything all the sudden a "Shader"?

(FYI, here's a pretty good and fun page that helps explain a bit the different uses of "shaders" and gets into how each type works/is used, in both a technical and visual manner: https://halisavakis.com/category/blog-posts/my-take-on-shaders/ )

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Why is frame pacing such a hard issues for developer to get right, especially on PC? Why is that the community can usually fix these day one with things like Rivatuner but dev's cant?

Imo, I think for decades the industry only mostly cared about framerate, and only particularly with Scott Wasson's work on Techreport with frame pacing issues did a core gaming community start to care about this more. What RTSS does is normalize the time between drawing two consecutive frames, so if you're playing at 60 FPS that 60 frames is evenly distributed over time, even if it means delaying when you see a frame. I guess there's still some game developers who still think that so long as the framerate is acceptable everything is dandy, but this has grown in the collective understanding over time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Frame Pacing being wrong/bad is usually down to the engine providing data too slow which results in the GPU writing the wrong frame. Its usually an optimization issue. Which is why lowering settings can sometimes fix it. If the GPU is being fed less data it has less to write. If you cap the frame rate in RIVA vs not capping it the GPU doesnt have to write as much.

Guilty_AI

Imagine it's a PC exclusive.
Its kinda random honestly. The fastest way that uses the least amount of resources and connections would be to make sure the game has some really strong hook that catches attention of the internet meme army.
Imagine something like Helltaker ("make a harem of demon waifus!!!") or Little Witch Nobeta ("a souls-like with a loli!!!!"). Of course, the game still needs legs or the heat dies off before you can even fan the flames.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I could look this up, and I think I kind of get it somewhat (the original term has become a bit of a misnomer), but... what is a "Shader"?
I don't work with graphics so i may not be 100% correct, but its basically the technique you use to simulate the effects of light being cast on a 3D object. Take a look at this pic and you can see what different shader algorithms looks like (or no shading at all)

light-teapots.jpg

(a) Wireframe teapot
(b) Teapot drawn with solid color but no lighting or shading
(c) flat shading with only ambient and diffuse lighting
(d) Gouraud interpolation with only ambient and diffuse reflection
(e) flat shading with ambient, diffuse, and specular lighting
(f) Gouraud shading with ambient, diffuse, and specular lighting

source: http://cse.csusb.edu/tongyu/courses/cs420/notes/lighting.php

And why are there so many things now that don't have anything to do with "shading a surface" (like fur/grass and water and even audio) that are now done with Shaders? Why is everything all the sudden a "Shader"?
Not really sure, but from what i've seen the concept has expanded for anything that involves giving some sense of space or depth. Mapping for example, at least according to wikipedia, uses shading techniques. I imagine with audio its somehow related to trying to simulate the direction the sound comes from

EDIT: Just adding that the above video serves only to demonstrate what i meant, its just a prerecorded audio and not a real-time simulation of spatial sound

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Its kinda random honestly. The fastest way that uses the least amount of resources and connections would be to make sure the game has some really strong hook that catches attention of the internet meme army.
Imagine something like Helltaker ("make a harem of demon waifus!!!") or Little Witch Nobeta ("a souls-like with a loli!!!!"). Of course, the game still needs legs or the heat dies off before you can even fan the flames.
TLDR: I should add titties to my game, right? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Nice avatar btw, E.Y.E doesn´t get enough love.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
why nobody never mentions (not even digital foundry) that it is a game changer to lock your framerate on pc to 58fps in order to stay in freesync window and avoid vsync lag and tearing. Everyone is excitied about 4k 60 consoles but they will just 60 vsync with slow ass input lag

RaZoR No1

Is there such a thing as TOO Many Frames per second? Is there a point, apart from the point the eye can't see it, that it becomes needless or problematic?
IMO there is nothing like to many fps.
It is important that the engine and system (heat) can keep up. A lot of CS players have over 300+ fps? Even Rocket League can get several hundred fps very easily.
But then there are games, where the logic is tied to the fps and if you push/unlock the fps, the game gets buggy (afaik some actual NFS games have that issue).

RaZoR No1

why nobody never mentions (not even digital foundry) that it is a game changer to lock your framerate on pc to 58fps in order to stay in freesync window and avoid vsync lag and tearing. Everyone is excitied about 4k 60 consoles but they will just 60 vsync with slow ass input lag
Stupid question from my side: I thought we have VRR for that kind of issue. Isn't VRR the HDMI standard version of free/gsync?
And for non sync screens: should we cap the fps on 61 or 60 fps?
I read somewhere, if you cap it to 61 no screen tearing will happen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Stupid question from my side: I thought we have VRR for that kind of issue. Isn't VRR the HDMI standard version of free/gsync?
And for non sync screens: should we cap the fps on 61 or 60 fps?
I read somewhere, if you cap it to 61 no screen tearing will happen
all screens released are freesync now. For example, my monitor (like most 4k monitors) have 40-60hz freesync range. It does not tear, microstutter and has extremely low lag in that range. It's amazing. But when it hits 60hz, vsync turns on as a ceiling cap and then it has normal vsync input lag like always.

poodaddy

Will Gamestop, or anyone really, accept controller trade ins if the finishes are slightly tarnished? I wanna trade in my X1 controllers from last gen towards some new Series controllers, as I dig the textured triggers and what not, but I was being an idiot one day and spraying a bit too much bug spray around them, (I was trying to handle an annoying gnat problem around a year ago), and some of that bug spray landed on my white and black controllers and ended up causing them to have what my daughter lovingly refers to as "controller freckles." They don't look great, but they don't awful either, however I do wonder if that has effectively made the controllers worthless now.

GeekyDad

Didn't wanna start a new thread for what is now, due to age, a fairly obscure game. I searched FAQs on GameFAQs, as well as their threads, but so far I haven't found anything. Made a thread there as well, but the board seems pretty dead. Figured I'd throw a line out here and hope for the best, so just gonna copy and paste what I wrote there:

"Man, it's been a lot of year since I've played this -- got it upon release -- so I'm kinda going in fresh again on a new file. Just finished the first battle (tutorial), and I tried to click on enemies to see their movement radius, but it doesn't allow you to do that like in Tactics Ogre. Any way to highlight their available movement distance during my character's turn?

Thanks"

The game this is in regard to is Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for the DS.

this might be the perfect thread for this unusual question:

if i have a PS4 with my digital games downloaded onto the internal drive. can i take that drive out, put a new drive in, set it up with the PS4, download my digital games onto it, and then swap between both drives at any time?

say drive A is a 500GB HDD and for whatever reason it fails could i put in drive B which is a 1TB SSD and, without formatting it, be able to play any games installed on it as long as it's been set up with that particular PS4 console?

i had a PS4 but sold it in preparation for PS5 but decided against buying a PS5 (at least until more games and a hardware revision/redesign). i just bought a PS4 again to keep playing my favorite games that I can't play on PC. i know the PS5, whenever i get one, will be able to play them but I want the PS4 to last as long as possible in offline mode. i only have digital games so the games need to be installed on the drive. i could go out and buy physical discs of the games but i'd rather not do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom