• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Watch Dogs 2 release at listed Gulf countries because "cultural sensitive content"

hemo memo

Gold Member
-Saudi Arabia
-United Arab Emirates
-Oman
-Qatar
-Kuwait

Famous Saudi forum contacted Ubisoft about the game release in the region and below is Ubisoft statement: (Translated from Arabic)
For reasons of culturally sensitive content, The game Watch Dog 2 and seasonal license will not be available officially in the following countries: Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait.

لأسباب تتعلق بالمحتوى الحساس ثقافياً، لن تتوفر لعبة Watch Dogs 2 وتذكرتها الموسمية رسمياً في البلدان التالية: السعودية، الامارات، عمان، قطر، الكويت.

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/323975/
Link (in Arabic)

EGOMON

It doesn't matter retailer will still import it in fact it will be availabe in the shops here before anyone else lol

hishoax

Neo Member
I live in Kuwait. Stores will still sell the game, but they'll increase the price a bit. That's how it works here. Only major electronics stores won't carry the game, but most people don't buy their games from there.

And chances are, it'll be sold here a few days, to a week before it's official release date.

Xater

I live in Kuwait. Stores will still sell the game, but they'll increase the price a bit. That's how it works here. Only major electronics stores won't carry the game, but most people don't buy their games from there.

And chances are, it'll be sold here a few days, to a week before it's official release date.

It's a great racket. When stuff was still regularly banned in Germany they did the same here.

hishoax

Neo Member
It's a great racket. When stuff was still regularly banned in Germany they did the same here.

It's an amazing racket, especially because they sell some games for like $100 (GTAV was "banned" here, and it went for more than $120)

Endless

They already start selling it in UAE.

Yep https://twitter.com/LeakdGame/status/796687676640468992

kZhYdqS7

vypek

So is it that all retailers would have the game at this point and UAE happens to break street date on games a lot?

When it comes to the Middle East, "banned" is just a word.

So is it that all retailers would have the game at this point and UAE happens to break street date on games a lot?

Dishonered 2 has been selling here in Kuwait since 2-3 days ago. Selling games early always happen, sometimes we even get games a week or two early.

That's what my expectations were. The only justifiable angle for the middle east is if the game is downright offensive to the religion which I doubt Ubisoft would ever do. Probably LGBT related issues as stated by others.

Falchion

That's good to hear, always sucks when content gets banned from places

vypek

Dishonered 2 has been selling here in Kuwait since 2-3 days ago. Selling games early always happen, sometimes we even get games a week or two early.

That is really interesting that they are early so often and its so easy for anyone to get the games.

Probably LGBT related issues as stated by others.

It probably is because Life is Strange got banned here. Pretty fucking DUMB, let me tell you but it still didn't stop me from getting the game. It goes like this, if someone wants something, there will always be a way to get it, legally speaking.

USF

That's what my expectations were. The only justifiable angle for the middle east is if the game is downright offensive to the religion which I doubt Ubisoft would ever do. Probably LGBT related issues as stated by others.

Nudity.

AJ_Wings

"Banned game" and "gulf countries" in the same sentence. Lulz

It's available in the UAE Steam store and the smaller retailers will continue to not give a flying fuck. Why do they even bother anymore.

ezekial45

Banned
FYI, the reason is because one of the characters in Watch Dogs 2 is transgender. You can see her in the launch trailer and she play a prominent role in the game's plot.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Witcher 3 had some content changed in that version. they even confirmed it on their forum.

But it still got released officially. I think in this case Ubisoft will have to change too much it's just not worth the time and cost. That'a what I think.

Ambient80

Are they typically playable that early? I imagine MP servers aren't turned on for most games. Ever ran into issues with MS or Sony shutting you or others down until official launch? Just curious.

Are they typically playable that early? I imagine MP servers aren't turned on for most games. Ever ran into issues with MS or Sony shutting you or others down until official launch? Just curious.

When it comes to MP, most but not all are unplayable really early. However, it doesn't matter to me because I always jump in the SP portion of a game when I get it and I never encountered any problems because I got the retail original copy of the game.

Eila

They're often on early for reviewers though.

Top Bottom