• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA: 50% more Wiis to retail Oct-Dec than 2007, still unlikely to meet demand

gkryhewy

Can probably rough out a sales prediction from that. For the record, last year's sales were:

October: 501,000
November: 981,000
December: 1,350,000
Total: 2,832,000
+50% = 4,248,000

So far (October 2008): 803,000

http://www.thestandard.com/news/200...now-if-well-have-enough-wii-consoles-holidays

Nintendo: "There's no way to know if we'll have enough Wii consoles for the holidays"
Ian Lamont

A senior Nintendo of America official says that demand for the Wii videogame console may once again outstrip supply during the runup to Christmas. However, the official says that U.S. supplies are up 50% over the same period last year.

Denise Kaigler, Nintendo of America's vice president of Corporate Affairs, made the comments to The Industry Standard in an email. "It's true that despite this amazing amount of product we're putting into the channel, some locations around the country are still experiencing sellouts," Kaigler said. "There's no way to know if we'll have enough Wii consoles for the holidays."

This is the third holiday season in a row that retailers have experienced shortages of the popular -- and profitable -- console. Best Buy says on its website that the console is sold out online. Amazon's Wii page acknowledges shortages, and includes a policy that threatens to cancel orders and close the accounts of customers who order more than three consoles. While the retailer currently is not selling consoles on its own, the small number of partner merchants who have new Wiis in stock are listing them on Amazon.com for $350-$363, a markup of at least $100 over the in-store retail price.

However, Kaigler noted that production of the Wii had increased since last year. "Nintendo now manufactures Wii consoles at a rate of 2.4 million a month worldwide," she said. "During the October-to-December timeframe, we will have 50 percent more systems in the U.S. market than we did during the same period last year."

Nevertheless, Kaigler advised people interested in buying a Wii to do so if they happened to see it in stock at a local retailer. "It might not be on that shelf much longer," she said.

When asked about recent comments by Microsoft suggesting that the Xbox 360 and the Wii are not competitors, Kaigler said, "That's for the market to decide."

I continue to be amazed. I haven't really played my Wii since Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm sure I'd enjoy Mario Kart but I already have lots of great HD racers.

Eteric Rice

Remember that guy that in 06 that said the Wii would be supply constrained for a year, and we all laughed at him?

Shiiiiiit...

bryehn

I wonder when sales will peak. The numbers seem insane to me, maybe because I've had one since launch, see them in stores all the time and none of my friends have one yet.

onipex

speculawyer said:
I continue to be amazed. I haven't really played my Wii since Super Mario Galaxy.

Why does this need to be posted by someone in every Wii thread. I could post something simplar about the other systems in all their threads too, but it's off topic and will only cause fanboys to wake up.

Edit: I expect the Wii to be supply constrained this entire gen.

Stealth

They're going to sell a lot, sure, but I think that they've been able to match demand. I went in to my Target on Black Friday at about 3pm and they still had a stack of 40-50 of them sitting behind the counter. They're also in pretty constant supply at the local GStops and Best Buy. Still, it's gonna put up crazy numbers and blow everything else out of the water. But isn't that a given?

Darklord

Banned
Why is this still selling so much? Why? How? Who's buying it? I really have to say this does seem like a fad. Even when the other consoles have more and better games, better online, better price(360 atleast) and yet this still kills them.

It's like the ipod. It sucks compared to a lot of other MP3's and costs much more but it's "cool" so people buy it.

You really got to hand it to Nintendo though, they might not care about gamers anymore but from a business point they hit the jackpot.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stealth said:
They're going to sell a lot, sure, but I think that they've been able to match demand. I went in to my Target on Black Friday at about 3pm and they still had a stack of 40-50 of them sitting behind the counter. They're also in pretty constant supply at the local GStops and Best Buy. Still, it's gonna put up crazy numbers and blow everything else out of the water. But isn't that a given?

is
it
really
in
stock
?

Darklord said:
Why is this still selling so much? Why? How? Who's buying it? I really have to say this does seem like a fad. Even when the other consoles have more and better games, better online, better price(360 atleast) and yet this still kills them.

that's not what fad means

It's like the ipod. It sucks compared to a lot of other MP3's and costs much more but it's "cool" so people buy it.

that's not what fad means

GQman2121

Banned
Between the four kids that I know who still own a Wii (all 10yr or younger); none of them play the damn thing anymore.

The last game I remember see my roommates nephew playing was Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. And that was months and months ago..........

Anyone else have this kind of experience with younger kids who are dying to get their hands on the system, only to put it aside for more traditional games shortly after getting it?

AniHawk

GQman2121 said:
Between the four kids that I know who still own a Wii (all 10yr or younger); none of them play the damn thing anymore.

The last game I remember see my roommates nephew playing was Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. And that was months and months ago..........

Anyone else have this kind of experience with younger kids who are dying to get their hands on the system, only to put it aside for more traditional games shortly after getting it?

And we're off.

People don't understand who is buying it. It's consumer base is universal but I have said this before it is the console to have for kids.

I wish some of you guys were old enough to remember the NES, this is it's second coming.

I talk to other parents and my wife teaches at an elementary school, the Wii not the PS3 or 360 is the console to own for kids and families.

Edit: Not understanding why the Wii is successful is like complaining when a Pixar movie is number 1 at the box office for 3 weeks and makes $225 million.

So from here on out we can just copy and paste the last Wii thread, right?

Your Wii is collecting dust, no games, controls are a gimmick, shovelware, etc.

gkryhewy

GQman2121 said:

What hath I wrought?

Darklord said:

You really got to hand it to Nintendo though, they might not care about gamers anymore but from a business point they hit the jackpot.
GQman2121 said:

I guess it never gets old.

Darklord said:

So people are buying Wii for the sole purpose of looking cool?

They made a product that appeals to a wide range of people at a price that wasn't absurd. People who typically play games buy it, and a ton of people who don't typically play games buy it - and the second half of that equation is the difference between Wii and the other two.

The 360s library may appeal to *you* more, but there are tons of people out there in that second category who don't feel the same way. It's not an exclusive club anymore folks.

jay

This is bullshit. How can this console sell so well? I haven't even played mine since yesterday. It must be covered in dust by now!

Haunted

Holy shit, did I just stumble into a boxing gym? So many jabs and swipes in the first couple posts.

Looks like some people are still stuck in the anger stage. :sadface

Threi

notag
Darklord said:
A long running fad...kind of. Ok, well I guess you can't call it a fad but it's something strange.
strange is a better word. Things people cannot understand because they either are too narrow-minded or do not have the mental capacity to comprehend use the term "strange".

jrricky

Banned
speculawyer said:

:lol
speculawyer in 2007 said:
That is just stupid. It doesn't take 2 years to replicate a factory.

If the Wii is still supply constrained in 2009 it is because Nintendo wants the Wii to be supply constrained.

Nintendo is known for having strange business practices that involved intentional shortages, so it is possible.
:lol :lol

markatisu

Well I suppose this thread made it past the 2nd post before the same shit comments we get in every single Wii thread on this board

AniHawk

Anerythristic said:
People don't understand who is buying it. It's consumer base is universal but I have said this before it is the console to have for kids.

I wish some of you guys were old enough to remember the NES, this is it's second coming.

I talk to other parents and my wife teaches at an elementary school, the Wii not the PS3 or 360 is the console to own for kids and families.

Edit: Not understanding why the Wii is successful is like complaining when a Pixar movie is number 1 at the box office for 3 weeks and makes $225 million.

Pixar has good graphics though.

I'm still waiting for a black Wii. I don't understand why Nintendo has to be racist and only release white products this generation.

Calcaneus

Newsflash: If you market your console well, give it a cheap price, and make games with wide appeal; that console will sell like hotcakes,

AniHawk said:
Pixar has good graphics though.

Yeah...true. :D

It also has a universal appeal to both kids and adults. While shooting through a zombie apocalypse and winning the war on terror only has the Male 18 - 36 demo.

AniHawk

Anerythristic said:
Yeah...true. :D

It also has a universal appeal to both kids and adults. While shooting through a zombie apocolypse and winning the war on terror only has the Male 18 -36 demo.

I think you mean the Male 10-36 demo.
domokunrox said:
Not surprised at all.

My Nintendo Wii has been sitting in a bag in the trunk of my car for almost half a year though.

When you could be selling it for a profit.

DiddyBop

i witnessed firsthand a 40 yr old-ish woman in eb games buying wii fit and a dude desperately looking for a wii.nintendo has integrated a whole new demographic into gaming,they deserve their success and this is definitely not a fad. i dont even like the wii not will i own one(until they release it in black ad drop the price to 150) but i certainly respect them for the complete 180 they pulled form last gen to now.

Mark my words this is so good for this industry. If even 20% of these new Wii gamers decide to expand their horizons and check out what Sony or MS has to offer or mutate in something "Hardcorez." Everybody wins.

Scrubking

onipex said:
Why does this need to be posted by someone in every Wii thread. I could post something simplar about the other systems in all their threads too, but it's off topic and will only cause fanboys to wake up.

Edit: I expect the Wii to be supply constrained this entire gen.

They try to use anecdotes now. If they don't like the Wii then others must not like it - Ultimately implying that the Wii must suck and its success flawed.

Haha, someone said "second coming".

Nintendo'll fuck it up. They'll have success probably next generation as well then it'll shift to someone else. That's how it works.
I'm guessing Microsoft will be next.

Meesh

With the amount of Wiis floundering about you'd think we'd see more of those "core" games or at least announcements of new core games.

There are a few titles I'm looking forward to like Arc Rise, Madworld, NMH2, Fragile, Demonblade...and there's that text adventure one...but we need more, or at least better ad campaigns...

Nocebo

Darklord said:
Even when the other consoles have more and better games
Says who?
, better online,
Who cares?

better price(360 atleast) and yet this still kills them.
It may technically have a lower price. But it doesn't have a better value for price ;) As is evident by people still buying wii enmasse.

If you don't know who is buying the wii and why you've got to be blind or living in a cave where you can't communicate with lifeforms or something.

AniHawk said:
When you could be selling it for a profit.

I know. I got this stack of games and Animal Crossing is at the very bottom.

I'm going to force my wife to play with....my Wii....and...play Animal Crossing.....

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Darklord said:
Why is this still selling so much? Why? How? Who's buying it?

I'm known around the office as one of the gamer crew, so I get a lot of people that aren't asking me questions. Just yesterday, an older guy (I'd say in his late 40's, early 50's) that works on a nearby team stopped me in the hall and goes:

"So, I got a Nintendo Wii and so did my brother. How can we play that tennis game against each other over the Internet?"

The thing just sells to everyone. I ended up sending him a Wiki entry that lists out all Wifi games for the Wii.

AniHawk

Anerythristic said:
Mark my words this is so good for this industry. If even 20% of these new Wii gamers decide to expand their horizons and check out what Sony or MS has to offer or mutate in something "Hardcorez." Everybody wins.

No, Nintendo's killing gaming. It's not the HD system manufacturers that priced their systems out of the market and forced their software to become even more expensive, it's Nintendo, the one bringing in all those blasted casual gamers.

domokunrox said:
I know. I got this stack of games and Animal Crossing is at the very bottom.

I'm going to force my wife to play with....my Wii....and...play Animal Crossing.....

Animal Crossing? Really? Animal Crossing?

Kudos!

Ikael

Newsflash: If you market your console well, give it a cheap price, and make games with wide appeal; that console will sell like hotcakes

But I thought that it was blockbuster titles and graphics what made a system sell. Pre Wii gaf told me so!

Top Bottom